Poll

What device do you use most to Netflix? (choose all that apply)

Game Console
22 (42.3%)
Smart Box (AppleTV, Roku, Blu-Ray player)
10 (19.2%)
Smart Phone/Tablet (& Chromecast)
8 (15.4%)
Smart TV
3 (5.8%)
Computer/HTPC
9 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: All Things Netflix! Coming Soon: The Netflix Experience, Live and In Person!??  (Read 322909 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: All Things Netflix! Now you can watch on the GO, no mobile data needed.
« Reply #525 on: January 16, 2019, 09:15:13 PM »
Netflix.... LMAO. "The Office" in "Space" - bring it.
https://twitter.com/seewhatsnext/status/1085597548864200704

https://deadline.com/2019/01/space-force-workplace-comedy-series-steve-carell-star-greg-daniels-netflix-the-office-reunion-1202535944/
Co-created by Carell and Daniels and starring Carell, Space Force is centered around the people tasked with creating a sixth branch of the armed services…Space Force.

Steve Carell, who co-created the series, will star and executive produce. Daniels will serve as showrunner and executive producer. Fellow Office alum, 3 Arts’ Howard Klein, will also serve as executive producer.

I hear Space Force will not impact Carell’s starring role opposite Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon in Apple’s upcoming morning show drama series and he will do both.

LMAO. Space Force.
So glad they were quick to make this one.

Offline mrtycruise

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 11, 2019, 11:51:24 PM »
I watch Netflix on my smart TV.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #527 on: February 12, 2019, 02:25:09 PM »
Cool story.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 12, 2019, 04:17:35 PM »
Lol great response.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 14, 2019, 04:27:15 PM »
Love, Death, + Robots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUFwunMKa4E

Netflix Adult Animated Anthology.
Looks very interesting.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 13, 2019, 08:11:18 PM »
The Bear Grylls choose your own adventure series is out.

Offline Dan Laser

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 13, 2019, 11:51:17 PM »
Huh, I didn't realize the Bear Grylis thing was a choose your own adventure. Interesting.

Trigger Warning with Killer Mike and Russian Doll are two recent Netflix faves. Detective Handsome is also fun. I’m happy to have more Santa Clarita Diet and Sabrina, but I haven’t finished them yet

The Silence on the other hand… is bad. The book it’s based came out before A Quiet Place, but the latter is a better “monsters are attracted to noise” movie, and The Mist and even Bird Box are better b movie horrors. The deaf daughter talks most of the movie?? The creatures seem like they would be very easy to trick and kill. The bad guys at the end are so goofy.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 14, 2019, 02:07:05 AM »
Sabrina has been very interesting. I'm 1 ep away from the end, but the I've been into it.

Santa Clarita diet has caught my attention a few times on a nights looking for something new to watch. Zombie show, right? Maybe I'll check it out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 14, 2019, 02:30:55 AM »
Definitely recommend Santa Clarita Diet. I didn’t like the end of Season 3 though. /sad horn

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 14, 2019, 03:28:24 AM »
Sabrina has been very interesting. I'm 1 ep away from the end, but the I've been into it.

Santa Clarita diet has caught my attention a few times on a nights looking for something new to watch. Zombie show, right? Maybe I'll check it out.

Santa Clarita Diet is maybe a vampire show, maybe a zombie show. Either way it's funny and entertaining.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 03, 2019, 04:42:49 PM »
Yeah we ran into that issue with the British Baking Show. A little frustrating, as part of the joy of bingeing (sp?) is that you can watch them on your schedule, and some folks may only have a a day or two or a weekend for some good watch time.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 03, 2019, 11:34:29 PM »
one thing about releasing all episodes at once is that it ensures you have a complete product release and they don't cancel it half-way through a season. If they slow release anything it had better be in the bag ahead of time.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #538 on: September 04, 2019, 11:54:13 AM »
Well, it's not like ratings week to week are an issue with Netflix.  Also, Netflix has to expect people to want to binge, as they're used to, so I would expect them to let a full season run before making any decisions about total streams.

The move to weekly is making more and more sense to me.  With some of their shows/movies people talk about them for maybe the week following release and then nothing.  Social media "word of mouth" is probably their best marketing strategy, and you need people to watch something for longer than the trending topic cycles.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 06, 2019, 12:56:03 PM »
Dragon Prince Season 3 coming back next month

I gotta say, I like this one. I'm looking forward to the return of this series.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: December 16, 2019, 09:19:21 PM »
We've had extremely little time for TV over the past few months, but are looking forward to diving into a few series over the holidays.

First off, how was season 3 of The Dragon Prince (no spoilers, please)?  We also really enjoyed the series here, and I'm keen to see a bit more of that world together with my kids.

Second, I just want to take a minute to gush about The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. Wow. I can't remember the last time I saw this kind of fantasy epic given such attention to details and rich world-building. It's unfair that something this beautiful comes and went with hardly a peep. So good!
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 17, 2019, 02:31:05 PM »
I enjoyed the Dragon Prince S3 for the most part. I watched with my daugter, as she is pretty into it.
There is just a point towards the later half that just makes no sense to me.... plot twist. I think you'll know what I'm talking about once it happens.

It seriously makes no sense to me why it happened other than to progress the story.

SPOILER the new young king decides to go to jail and replace the treasonist kings hand of his father, allowing him to become king to advance a war he didn't want to be part of.... WUT!? why couldn't he let his advisors take the temporary crown till he was ready, and just be a kid again. iirc it was even suggested to him to do that, but he chose to relinquish the crown to the man arrested for betraying the interest of the kingdom, after fighting the royal guard. It seriously makes no sense to me.

As for The Dark Crystal, my daughter absolutely ADORED this show. She didn't remember watching the original (she's only 7) but this new one was one of her favorite things ever. She would often try to talk like the Skeksis, but imitate the little Pip guy with the spoon. Her Netflix icon right now is the female elf girl.
I don't know if they are going to do another season/mini-series, but I'm down for more.
She even watched the behind the scenes for the show. She thought she was a genius for knowing that all the characters were puppets. and Bless Netflix soul for not going CGI all over this show, but sticking with the puppetry like the original. They did a good job with this one.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 22, 2019, 04:56:45 PM »
Yeah, Dark Crystal was impressive to me. I just kept getting caught up with the puppetry because of how ornate and detailed it was. I'm sure it will get another season or two, what with a game based off of it coming out soon.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 22, 2019, 09:57:31 PM »
I binged through all of Netflix's Witcher series today, and...yeah, it's not great. The 8 episodes more or less cover the events of the chronological 1st 2 books in the series ("The Last Wish" & "The Sword of Destiny"). However, they're covered in such such an extremely disjointed fashion that if you haven't read the books, it's downright unintelligible.

The reason for this is that the writers decided to make this an ensemble show, and often each member of the ensemble will have their story take place at different points in the timeline. Ciri's storyline pretty much always takes place in the "present" and Yennefer's usually is in the distant past until halfway through the show. However, Geralt's often jumps around between those 2 extremes, and the show makes NO attempt to make it clear WHERE in the timeline you ARE at any given point in the show. The show also makes NO attempt to explain the overall political landscape of The Continent, so all anyone new to this franchise has to cling to are that Nilgaardians are assholes.

The acting as a whole it great, particularly Cavill as Geralt. Unfortunately, he has very little to do because the show has been very deliberately written to make Yennefer & Ciri the main characters. Geralt shows up from time to time, and you'll occasionally see him on-screen for a while, but this series is very much not his (at least up till the end of what's available). Yennefer gets the most concrete arc over the course of the show, and Ciri's storyline drives the plot. Geralt's just kind of "there", which is somewhat accurate to the books but you'd think they'd have re-written his role to make him more integral to the plot.

Overall, this show is probably a solid 6-7 out of 10. It has some good production values & some solid acting, but this series was kind of killed in the editing room.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 23, 2019, 10:31:50 PM »
Thanks for the mini-review about The Witcher. I haven't played any of The Witcher games and know nothing about the series... sounds like this is probably going to be a pass for me. (The Witcher was just sitting on the edge of "maybe I should check this out?"  Your review will let me focus on things that I'm pretty sure will be up my alley without any regrets.)

Speaking of stuff that directly appeals to me, I just finished off The Dark Crystal Age of Resistance and was soundly impressed. There are just enough dark moments that I decided not to watch with my kids yet... but the fantasy world they present is absolutely stunning and drew me in even during moments when the story fell flat. I sincerely hope they do a second series; there are definitely more stories to tell in this world.

Next up over the holiday break: Pet Cemetery. A friend said they did a really good job with this movie, and what would Christmas be without a few scares.
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 24, 2019, 01:15:19 AM »
I was just gonna go check out a trailer for the show since I just seen a clip of a commercial earlier while watching the Warrior game. I'm only familiar with the game as I've seen it on Steam and checked out trailers for it there, but now that review above, will just let me quell that curiosity and pursue other unknown random **** on Netflix/Amazon/Exodus to watch instead.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 24, 2019, 08:03:40 PM »
Here’s where I am currently with The Witcher

Jaskier: Toss a coin to your Witcher. O’ valley of plenty. O’ valley of plenty. Oh-oh-oh...
Me: Ugh, that doesn’t even match the tone of the show.
Me, 4:00 AM later: 🎶 TOSS A COIN TO YOUR WITCHER! O’ VALLEY OF PLENTY! O’ VALLEY OF PLENTY! OH-OH-OH! 🎶

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 24, 2019, 09:01:19 PM »
Here’s where I am currently with The Witcher

Jaskier: Toss a coin to your Witcher. O’ valley of plenty. O’ valley of plenty. Oh-oh-oh...
Me: Ugh, that doesn’t even match the tone of the show.
Me, 4:00 AM later: 🎶 TOSS A COIN TO YOUR WITCHER! O’ VALLEY OF PLENTY! O’ VALLEY OF PLENTY! OH-OH-OH! 🎶

Yeah, that is, indeed, a great song. I wish there was more singing by Dandelion/Jaskier in the show, actually. It gives the show an air of something like the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings books, where people regularly sang songs of great deeds of legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqbS7O9qIXE

On a side note, "Jaskier" is the original Polish name for Dandelion. When the games & books were brought over, his name was translated to "Dandelion". However, the showrunner couldn't figure out how they were going to pronounce that since it's inconsistent between even the books and games. The games pronounce his name like the flower, whereas the audiobook version of the books pronounces it "Dan-DIL-ion." As a result, the showrunner chose to just use his original Polish name, but he is Dandelion the Horny Bard.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 25, 2019, 09:01:08 PM »
Season 4 of The Expanse dropped on Amazon and... wow. It was an all setup season but definitely worth it Avasarala swears like a mofo in every single scene and its totally worth it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 26, 2019, 05:40:07 PM »
I don't know much about the Witcher, never read the books and only played a couple hours of the games, but I liked this! I really had no idea what was going on a lot of the time, but it was still enjoyable! I don't really get into TV shows much anymore, so I was pleasantly surprised.

I read that the show was originally being developed as a Ciri show, so the focus on her made sense after that. The lady who played Grandma Queen I think is the show runner, so she must have had different plans originally.