Author Topic: Newest Smash Brothers DLC Character Announced  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Newest Smash Brothers DLC Character Announced
« on: November 12, 2015, 03:49:43 PM »

And the next Smash video comes with it.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/41483/newest-smash-brothers-dlc-character-announced

The newest 3rd party Super Smash Brothers has been announced, and neither squall nor lightning will stop him.

Cloud, originally from the 1997 PlayStation title Final Fantasy VII, will join the Super Smash Bros roster. No date has been announced, but it will also bring a stage based on the Midgar area of the game. Cloud was shown using some of his trademark moves, including summons and his Omnislash Limit Break as a Final Smash.

Following the announcement, a Super Smash Bros video was announced for sometime in December. It is not known if the video will feature the results of this year's Super Smash Bros ballot.

UPDATE: The UK press release for the Direct includes the following quote regarding the Smash video:

Additionally, a special broadcast – the last one for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS - will be released in December.

It seems that the video will be the last dedicated Smash Direct video, the fifth in the series. Whether this will mark the end of Smash Bros DLC support is unknown.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Newest Smash Brothers DLC Character Announced
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 06:00:52 PM »
Wow. I actually would have preferred Shovel Knight to this. I never would have thought that I would have this preference over an actual character that got in.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 06:01:33 PM »
So that means SE is going all in with Nintendo, right? That FF7 remake has got to be coming to NX.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 06:02:35 PM »
That's incredibly stupid. Unless it means FF VII will finally come to a Nintendo system, then it's less so.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 06:08:21 PM »
This is extremely neat, but also very odd. I'm glad however.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 06:16:42 PM »
Holy ****, I just realised that means a Cloud amiibo will be made...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
Final Fantasy VII is basically the personification of Nintendo's fall from grace.  They stuck with cartridges on the N64, lost this huge killer app to the PlayStation, and pretty much every third party followed Square's lead which handed the market to Sony on a silver platter.  It is very odd that Nintendo would want to put a character from this game, which has NEVER been available on any Nintendo platform ever, in SSB.  I suppose it is historically significant for Nintendo in a "look at how stupid decisions by this company have bit them in the ass" kind of way.

And presumably we're supposed to be excited about Cloud's inclusion.  But why would a Nintendo fan be excited about a character from a prominent exclusive on a competitor's platform?  Yes, we don't all live under a rock and have some familiarity with FFVII so this is actually quite cool but it's essentially Nintendo admitting that their competition has good games and that third party releases matter - which is completely contrary to what Nintendo actually does.  You figure for the purposes of training their fanbase that Nintendo would like to carry on the illusion that non-Nintendo games are not worth one's time, particularly if they're not on a Nintendo system.  The fact that this character even matters is a failure on Nintendo's part.  Back in 1997 they sure hoped and prayed that he wouldn't.

I wonder in a way if this is Sakurai sticking it to his superiors and they're too clueless to pick up on why they should be offended.  Or Nintendo is now suddenly very savvy and is fully aware of how letting Final Fantasy VII go is their most notable screw-up and this is their way of showing that things are going to change.  Like a game like Final Fantasy VII is not going to skip Nintendo consoles in the future.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 06:20:56 PM »
Really dude? Really? Even with all that babble there is no way you're raining on this parade. The internet mob lost its mind when this was announced.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 06:23:34 PM »
This will be just like when we got Snake in Brawl! I can't wait to see what Square/FF games come to the Wii U.

...I would have rather gotten Snake back in Smash. He was one of my sub-mains.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 06:42:53 PM »
Cloud!? Wow!
Was he the ballot character?
Only got to watch half of the direct.
Made you look ****.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 06:46:47 PM »
Hey guys, we all remember the Wii versions of Metal Gear Solids 3 & 4 that released after Snake was added to Brawl, the Wii U version of Street Fighter 4 that released after Ryu was added to Smash U, and the Wii U Mega Man game released after Smash U. The FF7 remake coming to the Wii U is definitely going to happen.

As for the character himself, cool addition but anything that makes the obnoxious FF7 fanboys happy makes gaming as a whole worse so I wish we had gotten a Square character that's actually been associated with Nintendo.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline caffeine

• View Profile
    • ScottyHoag.com
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 06:49:58 PM »
No, there was nothing mentioning him as the Smash Ballot pick. The Direct ended with an announcement saying there would be another Smash-specific direct in December, though, so that would be the likeliest place to announce the ballot choices.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 06:57:42 PM »
Really dude? Really? Even with all that babble there is no way you're raining on this parade. The internet mob lost its mind when this was announced.

Sometimes when I feel like I'm being to cynical and assinine I come here to read what Ian Sane is posting and feel better about myself.

It's a much-loved character from a much-loved series showing up in a cross-over fighting game. Don't read so much into it. Either download and enjoy or go play something you like more.
NNID: ejamer

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 07:20:25 PM »
Didn't see this coming, trust Sakurai to betray our expectations over and over and over. FF 7 still marks an important part in Nintendo's history despite not appearing on a Nintendo console, and what is Smash other than one giant Nintendo museum?

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 07:20:54 PM »
I'm freaking out about this, guys. Really freaking out. Having never really got into FF7 as much as most people did back in the day, I'm not freaking out about this because Cloud is going to be a playable character in Smash. I'm freaking out about this because all of the bad history between Nintendo and Square (Enix) regarding that game, about that character — history which completely altered the trajectory of the entire industry — is suddenly a part of the compendium of Nintendo history which we know as Super Smash Bros.

I can't even. I can't even even. I just…can't.

In this context, Sonic being in Brawl was a mind-blower for me. Cloud being in Smash 4 is a world-ender.

Holy ****, I just realised that means a Cloud amiibo will be made...

End of the World, Exhibit A.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 07:22:36 PM »
FF7 on Wii U and a lesser (Original maybe?) on the 3DS?
Made you look ****.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 07:23:42 PM »

I'm merely making an observation of how odd it is.  This is the oddest SSB guest character by far.  It must be the only character to make their Nintendo system debut in an SSB game!  Even Sonic had appeared on Nintendo consoles years before Brawl came out.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 07:32:21 PM »
Should have given us Geno or a Chrono Trigger character.

In terms of every fanboy's roster wishlist this really blows the lid wide open on possibilities. I wouldn't be surprised if Goku makes an appearance at some point.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 07:33:03 PM »
I was actually looking for to Isaac from Golden sun!
Made you look ****.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 07:53:18 PM »
This was more out of left field than even Ryu.  I never ever ever would have expected this…

All bets are off, folks.  Master Chief for smash confirmed.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 08:01:13 PM »
This was more out of left field than even Ryu.  I never ever ever would have expected this…

All bets are off, folks.  Master Chief for smash confirmed.
Master Chief for Smash hell yes!
I would pay a $100 bucks for that!
Made you look ****.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 08:12:55 PM »
If any Square Enix character makes it, I would expect it to be Cloud or Sora. I'm not saying I'd necessarily want Cloud as he barely qualifies, showing up as an NPC in Chain of Memories. He's still Square Enix's most recognizable and popular character.
Not terribly surprised. Still, it's nice to see a new character.

Offline caffeine

• View Profile
    • ScottyHoag.com
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 08:15:16 PM »
I'm merely making an observation of how odd it is.  This is the oddest SSB guest character by far.  It must be the only character to make their Nintendo system debut in an SSB game!

I think Cloud's first Nintendo appearance was that Kingdom Hearts quasi-CCG brawler hybrid game on the GBA, though I can't think of any others where he even makes so much as a cameo.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 08:34:47 PM »
Minds were blown tonight. Happy to see this addition but it certainly makes met think that the NX is very likely getting if not at least the Final Fantasy 7 Remake after it comes out on the PS4 (they're getting it first I believe) but also Final Fantasy 15 as well.

I say at least 7 because Cloud shines a massive spotlight on that game and helps nurture a interest in that game's lead character. Cloud outside of appearing as a npc in a few other games has never stared in any game on a Nintendo system since the N64 version of Final Fantasy 7 was canceled and moved to the PlayStation 1. There is no other real prerequisite for the character's appearance on Nintendo hardware which all other 3rd party characters have had. Maybe Cloud can be seen as the mascot for Final Fantasy in general but they specified Final Fantasy 7 itself. Even then as a Mascot on Nintendo systems someone from FF4 or FF6 would make more sense then Cloud. So that Remake has to becoming. We know Square Enix already let the cat out of the bag in regard to Dragon Quest 11. If that's coming to the NX then 7 Remake and just maybe 15 wouldn't be that crazy.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 09:05:09 PM »
Cloud Amiibo resurrects [soplier]Aerith[/soplier]