Author Topic: Denpa Men!  (Read 4254 times)

Denpa Men!
« on: September 21, 2012, 12:22:38 PM »
So the "Denpa Men: They Came By Wave" demo is officially out in the US Eshop, and I gotta say... I love it!
The battle system is pretty simple, but in a good way, and the AR mode where you catch the little guys is super fun.
Has anybody else gotten a chance to play the demo yet?

Offline Dan Laser

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Denpa Men!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 02:17:55 PM »
Thanks for the head's up! I've been wanting to try this game. I rounded up some Denpa Men and worked through the dungeon. Yeah, the fighting system is pretty simple, but it works. It is nice having the auto battle choices between using skills and not using skills as well as being to do things manually too of course. It's charming and quirky, and i'm curious to see what more the game has to offer.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 06:14:17 PM »
I find myself playing it way too much even though it's only a demo. My Denpa men will probably be way overpowered when I can finally venture forward. haha

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:29:37 PM »
I agree the demo is a lot of fun. You're right, it's simple, but in a good way. Catching the Denpa man is very unique. Bravo to the people who made the game, nice to see something that ventures from the norm.

That and any time you can give me a new turn-based RPG, I'm a happy camper.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 11:05:35 PM »
After spending nearly a week with the game now, I still think it's pretty great,
As predicted, my little Denpa men were a bit overpowered for the first dungeon, but it equalized over time.
I love the way that you can tell 1 or 2 of your men what to do but then let the game automate the rest of them, it's a pretty indispensable feature with a party as big as 8.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 12:18:51 AM »
Picked this game up and over the past few days, I've been addicted lol.  I've got my 3ds set to search for Denpa men when I'm driving and just grab whatever I can whenever I get to a light lol.  I've found me a strong multicolored one which has been a beast for me so far.  I think I lucked out with my men as my starter denpa man came with the revive skill which is a great skill to have right off the bat.  I've had no trouble yet with any of the bosses but I don't know how far I am into the game.  Just finished the level 8 dungeon.  I've unlocked the ability to scan codes for denpa men but am refraining from using it as I feel like its almost like cheating lol.  I'd feel as if it'll defeat the purpose of going out and actually searching for hard to get denpa men but I do see the need for it for those that live out and away from hordes of people. 

I found it to be a bit strange that the black denpa men are never explained in the instruction manual though.  I'm about to do a quick search on google to see what exactly they are good/weak at.  They are the most readily available though from my gaming sessions so far. 

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 12:50:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the black ones are neutral. It says the strengths and weaknesses under the colored Denpa men's stats, but on the Black it says nothing.

Has anyone found one with the attack "fatal"? he has a scary face and says that his attack should be used cautiously, but doesn't give any more details.

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »
I haven't recieved anyone like that yet but I haven't really been able to scout for new denpa men this past week.  I'll see if I can find a few more today when I'm out and about at work. 

I do have to mention that I was blindsided in the second area I believe where you can talk to a NPC that'll refill your life for you.  Is it just me or were they smoking up in a cipher in order to replenish their health?  I almost couldn't believe what I was reading when it was saying "puff puff puff" lol.

Offline Da Jarvis

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 05:29:42 PM »
I have the game and I actually find it to get pretty boring pretty fast. At the beggining, it's cool, but once the whole AR thing starts to get tedious and you start getting really sick of having enemies spawn back 4 seconds after you beat them with battles that drag on and on and the fact the game forces you to constantly spend hours grinding to make it to the boss, it's really old really fast.

I enjoyed it for the first 4-5 hours, but around the 10 hour make, the game overstayed it's welcome, which is a shame considering there are so few RPG's on the system, let alone ones you can pick up for under 10 bucks.
3DS Friend Code: 4038-6986-6300

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 01:31:25 AM »
I'm only about 3-4 hrs in or so and I'm only at the level 15 dungeon so fatigue hasn't affect me yet but you really do have to be a lover of the grind to be able to get much from this.  I've always been the type to grind in rpgs so this is par for the course with me.  I do get a kick out of the pokemon vibe I'm getting from this game though.  I think part of the Joy of the game is finding just the right team for the dungeon and constantly either tweaking it with different items or swapping out a denpa man for another one.  I think that's probably why I'm still so addicted to it is that I'm in love with searching for new denpa men and then seeing how they can upgrade my current lineup if at all.  My refusal to use the scanner to find new denpa men I think helps in keeping things interesting though.  It makes searching for unique denpa's fun as I still get excited when I find a strange new guy floating around.  If I were to just search online for different denpa men with particular skills I need, it just takes all the fun out of the hunt. 

Offline negative_zero

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Negative World
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 01:53:22 AM »
Guys, I (for the most part) finished the entire game and it took me over 45 hours.  It's insane.  When you think you are getting near the end, you're not even close.  I still can't really say if I really liked it or not, as it combines some really cool stuff with some insane grinding like I have never seen before (and I've played a lot of RPGs, albeit I try to stay away from stuff I hear has a ton of grinding.)  Man.  I've heard the sequel is better, although I haven't heard details, so I am hoping that better means less grinding.

I wrote a review, if anyone is interested: http://www.negativeworld.org/review/8798/the-denpa-men-they-came-by-wave-nintendo-3ds-eshop-review

PS. I have no idea why it is adding this ->
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 01:56:11 AM by negative_zero »
Want to let loose your creative side in a Nintendo-related fashion?  Do you like getting involved?  | http://www.negativeworld.org