Author Topic: Podcast Recommendations  (Read 10776 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Podcast Recommendations
« on: August 27, 2010, 07:02:30 PM »
What podcasts do ya'll listen to? I need to listen to more podcasts. Ideally, one a day so I have something to do while I'm going through my lengthy morning medication routine.

Here are the podcasts I currently listen to:

RFN
Radio Trivia
Newscast
Player One Podcast
Talk of the Nation: Science Friday

Not a lot there. I've heard good things about Giant Bombcast. You guys?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Podcast Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 07:06:53 PM »
Bombcast is good, but they tend to lose steam after new business.

In addition to the ones you listed, I listen to:

RPG Backtrack
Weekend Confirmed
Active Time Babble
Retronauts
You Look Nice Today

I should advertise the other podcast I'm on, but its an iPhone one and probably not to your taste!

Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 07:32:37 PM »

I'll cast a vote for some of the ones that greybrick mentioned:
RPG Backtrack
Active Time Babble
Retronauts

I'd also recommend:
Sound Test:  http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3178336
RPGamer
IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat - Honestly, I've also started enjoying it since the newer crew arrived.  They had a couple of nice retrospective episodes.   

If you're like me, and have a fondness for US or World History:
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History: http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php?page=hharchive  -  World History
My History Can Beat Up Your Politics: http://myhistorycanbeatupyourpolitics.blogspot.com/
Dan Carlin's Common Sense : http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php?page=csarchive -  political commentary (it's sort of non-partisan; he only makes me mad half the time.)  ;)

"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 07:33:22 PM »
There's 2 NPR podcasts I like

This American Life
Random stories based on a theme

WNYC's RadioLab
An hour long somewhat scientific (dumbed down) look as some broad concept (time, numbers, parasites) put together in an interesting way

Edited for clarity
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:42:14 PM by apdude »

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 07:52:25 PM »
There's 2 NPR podcasts I like

This American Life
Random stories based on a theme

For a second I thought that this was your second podcast from NPR and was about to go look it up :)

@Sundoulos

Durr! How can I mention RPG Backtrack and not RPGamer?

Hardcore History is excellent, I was considering doing something similar but I know I can't find the time for research. I don't even read half the books I buy. Right now I am staring at a copy of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, I don't know how I have avoided reading it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:44:58 PM by greybrick »
Bless you, my child.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 08:07:26 PM »
You should check out "New Perspectives on Horned Dinosaurs." It's the most important volume on the group published since John Hatcher's 1903 monograph. A little pricey at $110, but well worth the price of admission.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 08:12:06 PM »
Radio Free Nintendo (of course)
RPG Backtrack (if it's covering a subject I'm interested in)
ANNcast (Anime News Network podcast)
This Week in Games (That Guy With the Glasses podcast)
Weekend Confirmed (thanks to the recommendation from RFN)
Invisible Walls (GameTrailers podcast)
Podcast Beyond (IGN PS3 podcast)
Active Time Babble (1up RPG podcast)
Retronauts (1up Retro podcast, which like RPG Backtrack I'll listen to if it's covering a subject that interests me)
Power Button podcast
GameCritics.com podcast
GiantBombCast (sometimes.  They can be pretty dull at times)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:08:16 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 08:18:41 PM »
You should check out "New Perspectives on Horned Dinosaurs." It's the most important volume on the group published since John Hatcher's 1903 monograph. A little pricey at $110, but well worth the price of admission.

Amazon will get me this for $79.20, but since I know I wouldn't shell out that kind of cash for a pleasure read I am wondering if my school library would carry something like this. We have floors upon floors of technical works/journals.

Did you have this on the brain because of the recent Triceratops shenanigans?
Bless you, my child.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 08:42:04 PM »
Some of the ones I listen to are mentioned already, so I'll add to the list:

My Brother, My Brother and Me - A comedy/advice show starring Justin and Griffin McElory from Joystiq + their brother Travis. I can't do justice to how funny this show is on a mere message board.

WARNING: A Huge Podcast - They're not joking - there's 8 episodes and the shortest one after the pilot is 2 hours long. For someone whose tastes tend toward the Japanese spectrum of gaming, it's worth a listen for what's going on. Needs to update more.

I'd also mention Idle Thumbs but they're ending at PAX.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:43:49 PM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 09:05:47 PM »
I stopped listening to Giant Bombcast because it was too boring and I got sick of stuff like listening to them taste food sent to them ad various other random crap.

I listen to WAY too mean podcast (I have several weeks worth of podcast backlog). Here is a list of the ones that update at least once a month or so:

Anderson Cooper 360 (I don't have time to watch the TV show, but the podcast unfortunately is a 20-30 minute version of the 2 hour show)
Ask the Naked Scientists (a UK based podcast where this smart guy answers science questions sent in by e-mail and phone calls)
CAGcast (although they sometimes stray into the same traps GB does when CheapyD does a lot of burping and talking about his illegal weed habit)
Common Sense with Dan Carlin (a commentator who talks about various political issues)
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History (where Carling talks about various issues in history)
Dilbert's Animated Cartoons (short 30 second cartoons done by RingTales Studios)
GameTrailers Wii
GameTrailers DS
GameTrailers Video Interviews
GameTrailers Video Reviews
IGN Comics Smash
Keepin' It Reel (movie podcast by IGN Movies)
IGN Digigods (by IGN DVD)
Tech Fetish Podcast (by IGN Gear)
Channel Surfin' Podcast (by IGN TV)
Game Scoop (although it's getting annoying since they opening admit that they don't like the Wii)
Podcast Beyond (similar to Game Scoop)
Nintendo Voice Chat Podcast
Three Red Lights
Infendo Radio
InfoMania (I would watch the show, but I don't get Current TV on my satellite package)
Larry King Podcast (same problem as AC360, it is a 45 minute show but the podcast is usually 20 minutes max)
Mad Money w/ Jim Cramer (I am too busy to watch the TV version)
Countdown with Keith Olbermann
The Rachel Maddow Show (the previous two I love, but I don't get MSNBC)
NASACast Video
NPR: Pop Culture Podcast (a 15-20 minute recap of pop culture stories on NPR in the past week)
Radio Trivia Podcast
NWR Newscast
President Obama's Weekly Address
Pro Wrestling Report on ESPN Radio
Radio Free Nintendo
Remember When (a movie podcast where they tend to talk about older movies or theme episodes, like dedicating 3 episodes to talk about each Matrix movie or 3 episodes for the Star Wars prequels)
White House Speeches
1UP.Com (they have changed the name many times: 1UP Yours, Listen Up, 4 Guys 1UP, and the current name of In This Thread)
Retronauts (which has now been as good since the whole 1up.com being sold to UGO situation)

There are others I subscribe too but don't update that often.

Shaymin, Idle Thumbs has said they are ending before. They  said their last podcast would be in November 2009, then they started again in February 2010. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again. I stopped subscribing anyways because I already had enough video game podcasts.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 10:35:37 PM »
The difference is the first time the main person who did the editing and legwork for the podcast (Chris Remo, formerly of Gamasutra) was still in the same area and was able to restart the podcast after a hiatus. He's now working at Irrational in Boston with the other hosts in the Bay Area, and they don't want to do it over Skype.

So unless Telltale or 2K Marin relocates to Boston, they would be going down for now save the occasional PAX reunion.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 11:23:40 PM »
I listen to:

NWR Radio Trivia (It has TYP in it, 'nough said.)

GeeksOn (It is hosted by a screenwriter, an actor, a video game developer, and a film maker: http://www.geekson.com/contactus.htm. I would love to hang out with these guys. http://www.geekson.com/)

Smart Enough To Know Better (Made by two, hilarious Australians that dabble in scientific news, and what not. They are relatively new, with only 6 episodes, so it shouldn't be that hard to follow. http://www.smartenough.org/)

Irrational Behaviour (From the guys at Irrational Games. I think they only have 1 episode up, but it's great because Ken Levine, Shawn Elliott, and Todd Howard talk back and forth about game development. http://irrationalgames.com/insider/irrational-interviews/)

Irrational Interviews (Again from Irrational Games, but it focuses on the people within Irrational games. http://irrationalgames.com/insider/irrational-behavior/)

IGN (Game Scoop, Girl Fight, Nintendo Voice Chat. I'm so glad Matt Cassamassina is gone.)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 11:28:44 PM »
Irrational Behaviour (From the guys at Irrational Games. I think they only have 1 episode up, but it's great because Ken Levine, Shawn Elliott, and Todd Howard talk back and forth about game development. http://irrationalgames.com/insider/irrational-interviews/)

I know you use British spelling, but you really shouldn't change the name of a podcast. It would be like me writing "Sears Center" even though its name is "Sears Centre".

Anyways, why are you happy Matt is gone?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 11:25:03 PM »
IGN Xbox 360's Three Red Light podcast is actually pretty hilarious most of the time.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 11:49:22 PM »

I know you use British spelling, but you really shouldn't change the name of a podcast. It would be like me writing "Sears Center" even though its name is "Sears Centre".

LOL, my bad. I should have written the name of the podcast as it is. Force of habit. I think in Canada we distinguish both centre, and center as having a different definition. Social Studies Centre. The center of a circle.

Matt was a downer. I didn't like his negativity. I can understand that he had some criticisms, but I just couldn't stand it.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 12:20:05 AM »
For me it's:

IGN.com - Nintendo Voice Chat (I, too, like the new crew better than when Matt and Bozon were around.. I've always been a fan of Craig Harris anyway)
NWR Newscast (of course)
Player One Podcast (I love the banter between these guys.. especially the dude who does the "Milo" voice.. hehe)
Radio Free Nintendo (BEST podcast EVAR.)
The Wiire (they haven't update in a while, though)
Zelda Universe (pieced-together podcast with some interesting viewpoints on the world of Hylia)
1UP.com - Active Time Babble (just started listening to this one.. so far, so good)

There ya go. :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 12:45:20 AM »

LOL, my bad. I should have written the name of the podcast as it is. Force of habit. I think in Canada we distinguish both centre, and center as having a different definition. Social Studies Centre. The center of a circle.

Matt was a downer. I didn't like his negativity. I can understand that he had some criticisms, but I just couldn't stand it.
I liked Matt and Mark Bozon, generally speaking, and for a good while the podcast was pretty funny; however, in the final year or so of their tenure on the podcast, it was either pretty obvious that they were rarely very interested in doing it.   Matt, in particular, sounded like he was phoning it in when he took that "editor at large" role and Craig was hosting.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 11:34:37 PM »
Hey Broodwars, I listen to Gamecritics too. I always yell at them for being hypocritical towards Nintendo stuff, they like to hype the games on the 360 and PS3 but usually nothing on the Wii.

I listen to IGN chat too.

I don't have anything new to add to the list. :(

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 11:40:28 PM »
Hey Broodwars, I listen to Gamecritics too. I always yell at them for being hypocritical towards Nintendo stuff, they like to hype the games on the 360 and PS3 but usually nothing on the Wii.

I don't know if I would go so far as to call it "hypocritical".  They have been pretty vocal about their distaste for long-running franchises that rarely change on all platforms (for example, see their recent reception of God of War 3), and that unfortunately tends to describe quite a few Nintendo franchises.  I think they just suffer from a great deal of skepticism when it comes to Wii games they're interested in (which is the result of many years of underwhelming titles on the platform), and the rest of the titles on the platform just don't appeal to their tastes as gamers.  I greatly respect their reviews, though, and I think they are very good at articulating their opinions.  They put together very interesting shows as well.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 11:13:25 PM »
It is a major matter of taste, and if you are not a fan than i wouldn't suggest it, but I love the mega64 podcast. I have watched it every week for almost 4 years now.

The Weebls stuff podcast has but 4 short sweet episodes, but it's delightful if you like British humor.

And if you are into Tabletop gaming, the D6 generation podcast is good as well.

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 07:05:21 PM »
A Life Well Wasted (the best videogame podcast there is)
Giantbomb
IGN Voice Chat (Prefered the Cassa and Boz days, but like others have said, their hearts weren't in it towards the end)
IGN Beyond
IGN Gamesccop
Gamespot UK
RFN
SModcast
Bagged & Boarded

I might check out some of the ones other people have listed too.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 08:29:21 PM »
Radiolab
This American Life
A Life Well Wasted
The Moth
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me

Those are my usuals.  I cannot recommend Radiolab enough; it is by far my favorite out of the bunch.  It might be shallow science but it appeals in the same way that Mythbusters does (or did in the earlier seasons...); it is interesting and extremely accessible (if not exactly rigorous).  The editing and soundscape are simply amazing as well. 

This American Life and A Life Well Wasted are both similar in style to Radiolab (a series of well produced, investigative vignettes all converging towards an overall theme) just about different topics.  The Moth is all about live storytelling and is almost like a portion of any of the aforementioned shows...if you put together a few related Moth stories and threw in a touch of narrative between them you would essentially have an episode of This American Life. 

Last but not least, Wait Wait Don't Tell me is a weekly NPR news quiz that occasionally has some very funny moments (although perhaps it's only funny to the stereotypical NPR crowd, in which case it would simply be agonizing to the average listener).  It should be noted that most weeks they have a "Listener Limerick Challenge" which is introduced to the audience with a pun that gets worse and worse every week...if you think that sounds like a good idea, you might like the show.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 04:00:46 PM »
Radiolab
This American Life
A Life Well Wasted
The Moth

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me

I'll have to give these a listen since I already listen to / like the others.  Thanks for the recomendation.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 04:24:36 PM »
The BGM Show - It's a bit short at like 30 mins each but its video game music!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 09:32:33 PM »
Radiolab
This American Life
A Life Well Wasted
The Moth

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me

I'll have to give these a listen since I already listen to / like the others.  Thanks for the recomendation.

It should be noted that there are only a handful of episodes of A Life Well Wasted...so I guess I can't call it one of my "regulars."  Don't listen to them all in a row!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 09:36:32 PM by KnowsNothing »
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa