Author Topic: Rune Factory Frontier  (Read 120701 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Rune Factory Frontier
« Reply #425 on: January 07, 2010, 04:27:25 AM »
After you discover how the Runey system works then it isn't very difficult to simply keep them alive. If you wanted to get every area into prosperity then that would take a lot of work, but simply maintaining them doesn't take much effort after you've established a routine.

They're still annoying little buggers though.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 07, 2010, 06:26:47 AM »
Right now I'm just scattering the runeys around and trying to make sure they don't become extinct in any particular area. I don't have enough of them to give prosperity, so this is the best I can do for the time being. So I am keeping them alive all over the map, but they aren't thriving or multiplying very much.

Anyways, I just think the runey thing seems like it was just tacked onto the game as an afterthought. It doesn't really add anything to gameplay, and it is a chore but unlike watering and harvesting crops this isn't a chore that I find addictive or enjoyable to perform.

One thing I will say about them, though, is that they are kinda cute... I guess.
is your sanity...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #427 on: January 07, 2010, 01:14:56 PM »
Every game needs a chore to make the features special.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 11, 2010, 10:37:20 PM »
I think having the games soundtrack on my ipod is keeping me from actually playing the game.. its much more relaxing to just listen to a few songs from the game before bed, then actually booting up the game and trying to get back in my routine..

I still wanna catch a mini-dragon though!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 18, 2010, 03:19:44 PM »
I think having the games soundtrack on my ipod is keeping me from actually playing the game.. its much more relaxing to just listen to a few songs from the game before bed, then actually booting up the game and trying to get back in my routine..

Thanks for sending me that link!

Actually, I take that back. In light of how it's shoved other songs off my iPod, curse you for sending me that link!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 18, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »

Thanks for sending me that link!

Actually, I take that back. In light of how it's shoved other songs off my iPod, curse you for sending me that link!

MWAHAHAHAHA

get a bigger ipod ;)
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 01, 2010, 09:01:36 PM »
Since it is so hot and I don't feel like doing much of anything, I ended up spending the better half of this past weekend playing this game.

I had been wanting to pick it back up for some time now, but the fact that it takes quite a time investment to get anywhere coupled with forgetting what I was doing prevented me from doing so. But, with plenty of time on my hands, it was a good time to do it. It actually wasn't as difficult as I thought, partially because I read my comments from this thread back when I put the game away as a little refresher.

I found a nifty Runey guide on GameFAQs, and it details a few simple steps on how to maintain enough Runeys for crops to grow, but not have to constantly fiddle with them. But, it was winter, so for the time being, I gathered up all of them from every area except my homeland, where they seem to be safe and their numbers do not deplete. Then, on the 30th, I placed one Runey of each type in each area, to take advantage of the bonuses for the first week of the month. After that, I gathered up my bonus Runeys, then placed a bunch of the type of Runey that matched that area's preferred type. Once that was done, I just needed to restock on a few days throughout the month, and that's that. Pretty simple.

That takes care of the Runeys. As for the ruins, I've been slowly making my way through the Snow Ruins. I got to a door that couldn't be opened. Confounded, I checked GameFAQs to see what was up. Apparently, there's an event that's supposed to happen on Whale Island that makes it open, but I never figured out how to open the gate behind the tower of Iris. So I looked that up, then went through the gate, and easily made my way through that dungeon since I got so powerful fighting in the Snow Ruins. Until I got to the tower of course, then the monsters got scary. Yikes!

So now, I've got a strong axe with a lvl 3 special attack that whoops monsters, provided I don't miss with it. I've gotten my love interest to max points, so now I'm growing the roses necessary to make the bouquet used to propose. I'm working my way through both dungeons, upping my overall level as well as looking for materials to make better equipment. I've decided, once I get married and complete all the ruins, I will consider the game to be complete.

After playing again, I'm not surprised I stopped like I did. There's a lot to like about this game, but there's some serious issues holding that back, chief amongst them the Runey system. If a sequel is made, it will have to do away with the Runeys and the crops that take forever and a day to grow, and have certain events not be so slow. And, once you get married, you should gain control of the girl. I mean, why not?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 09:03:33 PM by Mop it up »

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 10, 2010, 11:45:56 AM »
And, once you get married, you should gain control of the girl. I mean, why not?

How surprisingly sexist of you!   :P:

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 10, 2010, 10:30:33 PM »
Eh? It's about equality. To clarify, I'm not suggesting that control switches to the girl, I'm saying that, at the start of each day, you can choose to use the guy or the girl.

Speaking of, I've accomplished my goals! The bosses in the Snow Ruins and Whale Island have been tamed. The Snow Ruins one was fairly easy, its attack patterns are slow and predictable. It had a heck of a lot of health though, so it was an endurance battle. The Whale Island one was tough, I couldn't really figure out a way to dodge certain attacks unless I didn't attack meself, so I chugged a lot of E. Drinks.

However, from reading GameFAQs, I discovered that there is one more battle to fight! Apparently, it's Brodik. The way to do it is to go through a series of events that will happen when you raise Kross's friend level, so I've been collecting Warrior Medals to give to him.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 11, 2010, 04:28:06 AM »
I logged over 150 hours in this game, but I never finished it.. I gave up many months ago and haven't touched the game since. Right now I doubt I'll ever finish it, because I still have a lot more to do... and the prospect of spending hundreds of days watering flowers before I can marry someone or move forward in the game just doesn't appeal to me. The chores are addictive, yes, but they aren't really fun or anything.. its all menial. If you want to waste time, this game is a great time killer... but that's all it is. I'd rather have fun than merely kill time. Life is too short to waste watering crops in a fictional game. If you're going to do that, at least do it in real life where it actually means something.

I'm not saying this game sucks by any means. I'm just saying I've had my fill of it, and I mean no offense to the fans... hell I was a fan but suddenly one day I realized that playing it wasn't time well spent. I would rather play Metroid instead.
is your sanity...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: September 11, 2010, 05:48:11 AM »
I'm feeling the same sentiment. I just don't feel I can justify the time sink this game requires at this point in my life. Maybe when I get a better job and have a bit more free time or even better I can play the whole game when I am old and retired.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 11, 2010, 02:47:35 PM »
Not to be rude, but I think you guys just aren't very good at playing this game. The key to the game is time management; never waste an hour, there's always something you could be planting, picking, petting, fighting, exploring, mastering, etc. If you haven't figured out the best way to handle it all, then the game will go by very slowly.

It shouldn't take anyone 150 hours to complete this game. I'm at around 100 hours where I am, and I've "finished" it, except for a couple of side things, which are like side-quests in an RPG. If it's taken you that long, then it seems likely you haven't been doing enough in one day; have spent too much time on one single project; haven't fought monsters to level up; etc. Besides, I know someone who put more time than that into a certain monster hunting game. ;)

Rune Factory Frontier is not a time sink game. It can be, but I don't think it's meant to be. Since it isn't in real-time like Animal Crossing and there's no complex story to follow like an RPG, you can play it as little as you want and still be able to get through it. If you played it for a half-hour every day or every week, that's enough time to do one or two days, depending on what you do in them. There's a guide on GameFAQs that lists the order of story events; you could choose to follow this if you don't want to spend the time figuring everything out (some of it is a bit random).

This game's only daunting if you want it to be. You can take all the time you want to finish it, and you absolutely don't need to bother with a couple of the crazy lengthy things in the game (like the flowers that take a year to grow, though there are ways you could shorten that to a month if you have money and dedicated management).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 11, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »
It's because I'd rather play a game with you guys like Tri or Modern Warfare than sink all that time into a single player game. That's what I mean. I only have so much time in a day and I'd prefer to have played Tri with you all. I wouldn't have become as good friends with some forum members and friendships are more important that sinking that 100+ hours into a single player game.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 11, 2010, 08:12:21 PM »
Ah I see. Do you feel this way about all lengthy games in general, including RPGs and strategy games and such that take so many hours to complete?

The next Rune Factory game should have online, I think that's the only way I would buy another one. Thinking about it, I can't come up with anything significant to add to the game; just fixing its issues isn't enough. It would also help some with the game's pacing. You could have your friend(s) come over and help you prepare your farmland and plant your crops, getting it all done by noon. Then, after that work is done, you could head off and fight your way exploring a dungeon. It's the only major thing left to add to the game and would make it fresh and fun again.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 11, 2010, 09:47:36 PM »
If online play were added, it would be cool if they made it possible for players to marry other players in the game.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 11, 2010, 09:53:38 PM »
Ah I see. Do you feel this way about all lengthy games in general, including RPGs and strategy games and such that take so many hours to complete?

The next Rune Factory game should have online, I think that's the only way I would buy another one. Thinking about it, I can't come up with anything significant to add to the game; just fixing its issues isn't enough. It would also help some with the game's pacing. You could have your friend(s) come over and help you prepare your farmland and plant your crops, getting it all done by noon. Then, after that work is done, you could head off and fight your way exploring a dungeon. It's the only major thing left to add to the game and would make it fresh and fun again.

So basically, Harvest Moon plus Monster Hunter. That sounds both awesome and insanely addictive.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 11, 2010, 10:45:04 PM »
Eh, it isn't much like Monster Hunter. That game is like a big series of boss battles, and Rune Factory Frontier has only a handful of actual bosses. It's a cross between Harvest Moon and a dungeon-crawler, without the cruelty. It is most certainly awesome and insanely addictive, so beware; that thirty-minutes-a-day suggestion would be hard to do...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 12, 2010, 12:56:41 AM »
Despite using weapons like swords, you don't actually kill anything in the game. All the weapons have a spell cast on them that sends the monsters to some special sanctuary... or so the game says anyway. I've never actually seen this sanctuary and can't vouch for its existence, but that's what the game says.
is your sanity...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 12, 2010, 06:12:28 AM »
Not Tri. It would be better compared to Harvest Moon + Animal Crossing City Folk. Have your friends come over and help you with your town + gardening and lady wooing + dungeon crawling together. That sounds really awesome right there.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 12, 2010, 04:59:40 PM »
Despite using weapons like swords, you don't actually kill anything in the game. All the weapons have a spell cast on them that sends the monsters to some special sanctuary... or so the game says anyway. I've never actually seen this sanctuary and can't vouch for its existence, but that's what the game says.
lol that's true, I forgot about that. The weapons are coated with the magic of "Returnin" or something equally nonsensical, and it sends them back to their home world, the "First Forest." It actually isn't all that different from the type of game outlined in my signature...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 12, 2010, 05:13:07 PM »
Yeah, in fact I remember in Ganesha's shop there are weapons that she won't sell to you because she hadn't cast the Retornen spell on them yet, but they were otherwise completed.

Speaking of Ganesha, I really wish she was a candidate for marriage. She is an adult, so I would feel more comfortable with marrying her than one of the teen and pre-teen girls that are actually eligible for marriage. Marrying them just isn't right.
is your sanity...

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 13, 2010, 11:45:17 AM »
Eh? It's about equality. To clarify, I'm not suggesting that control switches to the girl, I'm saying that, at the start of each day, you can choose to use the guy or the girl.

Speaking of, I've accomplished my goals! The bosses in the Snow Ruins and Whale Island have been tamed. The Snow Ruins one was fairly easy, its attack patterns are slow and predictable. It had a heck of a lot of health though, so it was an endurance battle. The Whale Island one was tough, I couldn't really figure out a way to dodge certain attacks unless I didn't attack meself, so I chugged a lot of E. Drinks.

I was just teasing you.  Regarding those bosses, I actually had the opposite experience: I cruised by the Whale Island boss with only two or three hits, but the Ice Dungeon boss killed me more times than I care to count.  How'd you avoid the revolving ice breath attack?  I can't even outrun it...

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 15, 2010, 02:09:20 AM »
My first (sort of) time back in the nintendo section of the forum, and one of my favorite games is being discussed! That can't be coincidence.

I popped in the game about a month back, trying to get back into it after so much time away.. I spent an hour or so worrying that I had missed a date with one of the girls in the village, pulling my hair out about it. I gave up, searched a few FAQs until I found something telling me which girls would be where on what date.. Then I realized the very last time I played, I DID go on the date (with Mist) and saved the game right after, because I had a date IRL to attend. FML moment right there..

Kudos to Mop it up for beating those two bosses! I've only made it to the Snow Ruins boss once, to see what it was like. I tackled that dungeon early on when my character was very underpowered compared to the monsters there. Some of the first level monsters could kill me in only a few hits. I honestly don't know how I ran passed so many enemies to reach the end.. Reason I bring this up is, Mop it up is right; this game isn't a time sinker unless thats how you play it. I have a treasure chest full of E drinks that I could bring into battle and tackle the Snow Ruins boss as an endurance battle like she did, but I decided not to after completing the main storyline within the first year (which was my goal all along). I decided that, in that 2nd spring, I'd take things slower, work on my farm a little more seriously (although money isn't an issue, at all), maybe balance out my runeys some (which I decided against) and take my time finishing up Whale Island and the Snow ruins, with the best armour I could attain (I've made almost all the capes, I think i just need to raise my level some, and find one last ingredient to make that ultimate cape..).

Unfortunately for me, when I slowed down my pace is when I lost interest. I still love the game to death, it's one of my favorite games on Wii (or any system honestly) by far. I still listen to the soundtrack and drift off into daydreams of living a peacefull life growing crops and raising monsters; away from my real job and real responsibilities.. but with the storyline complete, I don't have an in-game goals to go after. I procrastinate, a lot, so I can't see myself finishing this game to 100% any time soon. Last time I played, I kept telling myself I should head deeper into the Snow ruins for a week straight (in-game), then Whale Islane for the next week, but instead.. I picked crops from dungeons and tried raising the heart levels of the few girls I don't currently have up to 10..

Speaking of raising those levels; I actually have Kross up to 10 friend points but I think I got him that high a little too early. Broddick appeared in town suddenly, and has dissapeared. I've read up on it and found out about the boss battle and the scenarios that lead up to it, and a certain scenario with broddic/kross hasn't happened yet. I never got a cut scene showing Broddik leaving town either, he's just not around. Annette hasn't mentioned anything about him being depressed either,and on a slightly related note; even though I've completed part of .. uh.. what's Mists rivals name?.. her marriage eligibility event giving her the medicine for her father she hasn't moved back to town. I think I did too many events at once and something got screwy. I won't find out until I keep playing, and since I'm trying my hardest to finish; Red Steel 2, Mario Galaxy 2, Modern Warfare: Reflex (before starting Fragile Dreams, and Sin & Punishment).. I doubt I'll find out any time soon.

PS. Did I ever post my picture of my entire field covered in Golden turnips??

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #448 on: January 05, 2011, 04:19:40 PM »
Dude i'm still playing this and not much else.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 07, 2011, 02:24:20 AM »
I saw it for cheap but decided against it, big timesinks like this work better on portables for me.