Author Topic: Mafia 78: Day 1 - Panic Button is Taking Applications for Switch Ports  (Read 3427 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile

Who is Panic Button?

We create high-quality content, making original properties and offering co-development, ports, work-for-hire, and specialized skills such as high-end, low-level optimization and rendering.
Founded in 2007 by industry veterans, Panic Button is a video game studio doing a bunch of unique work (console, future hardware, VR, PC, and mobile). At our core, we're a reputation-based studio that takes on challenging work, and we deliver on our commitments.
We have a solid history as an agile game developer specializing in co-development, ports, full game production, and original IP.
We have great relationships with the massive talent pool available locally and around the world, letting us quickly meet project needs.
Whether we're working on your projects or our projects, the goal is to make every piece of everything we touch better because we are part of it.

Thank you all for coming to Panic Button's Open Port Audition Night! Please take a seat and fill out this small questionnaire:

Why should you get released on the Switch?

What sort of content can you offer to Switch gamers?

What are your thoughts on adding motion and touch controls?

How do you feel about the portable experience?

How large is your game?

Do you have plans for expansions and/or DLC?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:05:46 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Why should you get released on the Switch? I am a classic but overlooked Sierra graphical text adventure game!

What sort of content can you offer to Switch gamers? EGA graphics!

What are your thoughts on adding motion and touch controls? what about keyboard controls?

like a laptop?

How large is your game? about three floppies if I recall correctly

You mean like Diablo?

Lookit my screens!!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Thank you all for coming to Panic Button's Open Port Audition Night! Please take a seat and fill out this small questionnaire:

Life is Strange is an episodic game with lots of content to play with friends and family at home or on the go one episode at a time.  It involves a very strong narrative to connect with the player and has very hard grey choices one must make to progress through the game.

Switch gamers will love the various choices through the game. Switch games will also have the option of going back in time a short while re make their choices.

Touch Controls could be used to rewind time in the game or a simple tap to go back to the other path on their most recent choice. These will be in addition to holding down a button to the chosen point in the players game.
Motion controls may be an option if we find a good use for that option.

Life is Strange should work very well for the portable experience as it allows lots of great content on the go and there will be a suspend play so you can pick up right where you left off for the most flexability of play.

How large is your game?
The 5 episode of Life is Strange( episode 1-5) are 17 GB. Episode 1 is 2 GB and is free. 

A prequel is out already with the sequel coming out soon. As to DLC/ expansions if it makes sense for Life is Strange then yes if not then no.

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Dear Panic Button,

My name is Aya Kyogoku. About 3 years ago, I directed a game that was released on Wii U that was a personal triumph for me. You see, I just wanted Nintendo to create some Amiibo figures for characters in a franchise I work on. Perhaps you've heard of it. It's called Animal Crossing. Our fourth installment subtitled New Leaf sold over 10 million copies on the 3DS.

Even though I didn't really have much of an idea for a game using the desire to force Nintendo to make some figurines for my own personal pleasure, I was able to work from that and create a fantastic game called Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival. It took about 8 days but that's because I spent two of them sleeping in my office dreaming of all the figurines I wanted to get created. Unfortunately, as you are probably aware, we had to release the game on Wii U because Nintendo was desperate for software on the system to keep it on some kind of life support. As such, the sales of the game were not what I was hoping to see. Nor were the Amiibo as the vast majority of characters from the franchise were released in card form instead of plastic figurine form.

With the success of the Switch and the 3DS still a semi-viable platform, I've been pushing to get Amiibo Festival ported to the Switch so that it can enjoy the sales it deserves and I know it can bring in by being on a successful platform. Sadly, with the shake-up of Nintendo presidents here, I've just been unable to get the board to listen to this request and see reason. Therefore, I've decided to take steps of my own to get this underappreciated gem to the masses like it deserves. I feel like Coppola releasing The Godfather Part 2 and The Conversation in the same year. Godfather 2 would be Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer which sold fantastic on the 3DS and even moved all those less than stellar card Amiibos I told you about it. Unfortunately, the success of Happy Home Designer has completely overshadowed Amiibo Festival despite it being a stone cold masterpiece just like The Conversation is while The Godfather Part 2 has overshadowed it and had a greater legacy and reception. With your help, I know we can give Amiibo Festival the spotlight it deserves and public re-evaluation it needs to step out of Happy Home Designer's shadow.

All the best,
Aya Kyogoku
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Dear Panic Button,

It has come to my attention that other developers and publishers are also vying for your help in getting their wares ported and put on the Switch. While I recognize you need to weigh various costs and potential sale factors to make a business decision that is right for you, I feel I needed to write back to you in regards to one particular game. Now, obviously, I realize I have no say in your ultimate decisions on these matters but if I did have the ability to do so and could easily dismiss any such appeal by another suitor, I'd immediately Vote ESPN MLS ExtraTime 2002 to be removed from the list of contention and save time and money from pursuing that avenue for a potential port. Soccer games are a niche market and ESPN MLS ExtraTime 2002 is a really terrible name that doesn't appeal to anybody. Why would you only want to play the 30 minutes of extra time instead of a whole match with only US players from 2002? I don't have to be a marketing expert to be able to detect that such a game will be unable to accumulate any meaningful sales or appeal to the general buying public.

Now, Amiibo Festival, well, that name really helps a person know what to expect and gives them an idea to latch on to of a fun party spent playing with Amiibo figurines. If a person has a choice of buying a game called Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival or ESPN MLS ExtraTime 2002, well, I feel highly confident 99% of people are going to choose Amiibo Festival. Playing with cute animals or Clint Mathis? C'mon. Even Clint Mathis would choose Amiibo Festival.

Just saying,
Aya Kyogoku
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 04:36:37 AM by Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile

Obviously this is a very relevant game that lots of people would be interested to play in 2018. An absolute system seller.

You get to experience first-hand what Major League Soccer was like back when the league was less than half the size it is now and was on the brink of collapse.

Motion and/or touch controls would set this game apart from the many other soccer games on Switch that have been widely reviewed on this site.

Portability is great for sports games as it makes it easier to play through long seasons worth of games on the go or while watching something else on TV.

How large is your game?

As a GameCube title, it's no larger than 1.5 GB, making it easy to fit on any SD card.

Shockingly this was the last installment in the series, so they could add DLC of more recent teams and rosters.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
New games suck.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
To show those moronic Nintendo weirdos that Genesis does what Nintendidn't and they chose the wrong system.

Blue blurs, beasts of the altered variety, precious metal axes, Dragon Quest in space, beholding the force of shininess, and much more!

Modern garbage. Games need naught more than A, B, C buttons.

You mean like the Game Gear? Way better than a tiny green bean screen. Genesis games could even be played on the go too! The Super Game Boy doesn't do what it might sound like...

How large is your game?
That's the beauty of the classics, only a few megs each!

That's the beauty of the classics, we're already complete games!

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
F-Zero X Expansion Kit Switch port design document v1.7

-Why should you get released on the Switch?
The Switch has a distinct lack of Fast futuristic Racing games with the potential for users to ReMiX their own stages as they see fit!

-What sort of content can you offer to Switch gamers?
Ok chief what do the kids like: Minecraft. Procedurally generated content. Games that are 'the Dark Souls of genre X'. Battle Royale modes. Streaming. Stereo audio.

MEET THE F-ZERO X EXPANSION KIT! Combining the endless procedurally generated content of F-Zero X's X cup mode, punishing difficulty, Death Race mode (the original Battle Royale), and shitty multiplayer meaning an inherent need to stream with others to gain social validation, with a build-your-own course level editor! ENDLESS CONTENT.

-What are your thoughts on adding motion and touch controls?
Your humble programmers have invented the GYRO PAUSE specially for the F-Zero X Expansion Kit Switch port! Simply yank your Switch in handheld mode around to come to pause the game! Someone knocking over your Switch? NO PROBLEM, the gyro break has you covered! Did your public transport option of choice experience a minor crash? NO PROBLEM, continue right where you left off without falling off the track due to outside distractions!

-How do you feel about the portable experience?
The 64DD was made with portability in mind!

-How large is your game?
One floppy in addition to a sturdy, fast-loading cartridge. Who needs CDs!

-Do you have plans for expansions and/or DLC?
Mate. The F-Zero X Expansion Kit... IS the expansion!!! MONETISABLE!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
This is a timeless, instant classic experience that Switch owners are going to love at home or on the go.  Without it, the Switch library will look incomplete and Switch owners may be missing out.

Only the best, top quality content gamers can expect from AAA developers with the unique twists on classic gameplay elements you only see with indie titles.

We want to build the best experience possible for our players and have considered a number of control mechanics that deliver an optimal game play experience.

We want to create an experience that's great either at home or on the go, and I think we've really done that here.

How large is your game?
We have certain file size goals.  We understand system and user limitations, so we are working to get this experience into a package that easily enjoyable by the widest audience possible.

We're creating a complete experience, and we want player to feel like their experience is complete, that they've got a full package at the time of purchase.  That said, we're always listening to our customers and exploring new business opportunities.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 08:18:43 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Dear Panic Button,

I understand you had an Open Port Audition Night. I'm sorry I was unable to attend. I did not receive any notice about it until after it was over. Unfortunately, even if I had, I would have been unable to attend as I was performing on stage at a Comedy Club in the commercial district of the city. I used some gags my mentor gave me. They got more laughs for me than they ever did for him. Plus, I got piggety PAID!

Still, I would like to take a moment to address some of the questions you asked during your Open Port Audition Night to make sure Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival is not disqualified from your rigorous porting process. Allow me to go through some of them now and answer them in order to provide you with the information you need and keep Amiibo Festival at the top of your porting list where I'm confident you are already have it.

I believe I've covered that in my first letter but one additional point I'd like to make out is that this is a Nintendo developed and previously published title and everyone knows that Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems. This is just an easy money making slamdunk decision and a perfect game to get released on the Switch thanks to its pedigree and background by belonging to one of the successful Nintendo franchises.

Considering that the Animal Crossing Franchise has seen its biggest successes come from games released on portable handhelds over the console versions, I am extremely eager and excited to have the game be released on a portable system. That seems to be the type of platform that most connects with our fans and how they want to play and experience these games. I, therefore, think this is a perfect match and opportunity for this game to succeed and sell well and be another top selling game on the Switch as I believe it can be.

Now, I understand there are other questions but I am going to have to take some time to think about them and get back to you. This gives me an excuse to create multiple posts letters as I do enjoy writing them but do not want to make them very long and this is getting quite large enough already. I do wonder, though, how long I have to respond back with my answers to the other questions as I did not hear anything regarding a deadline for this submission. How long is the Open Port Audition Night period going to last?

Your friend,
Aya Kyogoku

P.S. - Were you impressed that I was able to know the Insanolord Company was going to try and request that you port some type of soccer game to the Switch before they even announced the title and what it is that they wanted to port? I know the video game market well which I hope is another factor you consider in your analysis and I knew the Insanolord Company is creatively bankrupt these days and would just announce another tired soccer game for release. I remember when they would make challenging games like a NewsRadio Point and Click adventure hidden in the mode of a soccer game. Companies just don't experiment with their titles like they used to, I suppose.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 11:04:17 PM by Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
so long story short Darkseed 2 isn't going to work for this, there's very little material on it that I can find, the material I have found that I wanted to use is going to be way more of a hassle to use than it's worth when I can just switch to my second choice, an actual good game called Rogue Galaxy that I really need to finish playing sometime.

Because Rogue Galaxy is at least a better game than Darkseed 2. what kind of Neanderthal would bring that game in? All jokes aside Rogue Galaxy is a PS2 classic that I believe will greatly appeal to the Switch audience.

An expansive spacefaring RPG that's basically Skies of Arcadia meets our other PS2 classic, Dark Cloud 2.It's a swashbuckling pirate adventure IN SPACE with a really unique combat system, memorable characters, and a fun story along with lots of content,

We don't feel that motion controls would be a very good fit for this game. We might redesign the menus around touch though.

For the first time ever you will be able to play this amazing game on a portable console. Portability and RPGs go hand and hand so we feel this is a great fit for the system

How large is your game?

It's a PS2 game. we can probably fit it on a Switch Cartridge.

We can probably do an extra dungeon or something. Also since this is Level 5 we'll be doing a TV show, book series, and comics to make it a transmedia property.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
You hooligans are making me lose track of who's who :P

My Game Collection

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
I looked at post history and figured it out. Please let me know if you change your name going forward so I can make sure my player list is correct.
My Game Collection

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia 78: Day 1 - Panic Button is Taking Applications for Switch Ports
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 12:02:09 AM »
Thread Lock!

One vote for ESPN MLS ExtraTime 2002.

Please have your night actions in by 9:30PM PDT.
My Game Collection