Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 Discussion  (Read 176706 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Resident Evil 4 Discussion
« Reply #450 on: March 31, 2004, 11:45:45 AM »
The DivX codec (a couple *.dll's and *.ax's) is what's important, not the media playing software (however, QT doesn't run DivX).  Media players are mainly vehicles to access the audio/video decoders on your operating system.

I still use Windows Media Player 6.4, cuz it loads fast, is compact, has no unnecessary buttons, gives me access to codec settings, and I can pause/play video by simply pressing SPACE BAR.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:Resident Evil 4 Discussion
« Reply #451 on: March 31, 2004, 11:46:12 AM »

we're nothing like the Steve Erwin kind.
i was picturing drocodile dundee.  i don't even know who steve erwin is.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 31, 2004, 11:50:10 AM »
You've never heard of the Crocodile Hunter, King?!?

Also, his name is spelled Steve Irwin- even his own countrymen can't get it right.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 31, 2004, 12:03:04 PM »
That's because he's crazy and is Australia's only connection to America through popular culture. He's going to end up just like Roy. That will not be fun.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 31, 2004, 12:33:16 PM »
Out of curiousity Mouse_Clicker, Why do you have a dislike for "Real Player"?

Just rhetroctical question, and what media player do you prefer? ( if there's one )

And for my own question ( ok so there's two )

What's a good DVD player for windows? ( the program, not the drive )

I have the Nvidia DVD player, although as usual you can't use everything that's in it.
since they would want a "fee" to use all the extras.

I noticed the same is true of WinDVD.

I've push my rez to over 1600x

I seem to get better quality video when playing dvd's.

Anyway lol, on topic here.

I've watched the 4min. video of RE4 that's recently came out ( with the 8min. trailer )

And I'm happily surprised how good this game truely is.

I can't wait to see the rest of the enemy cast.
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 31, 2004, 12:38:22 PM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu

we're nothing like the Steve Erwin kind.
i was picturing drocodile dundee.  i don't even know who steve erwin is.

Ah Yes, When People stereo type aussies, they think of dear old "Paul Hogan"from the Crocodile Hunter Dundee movies.

Although I do know who Steve Irwin is, heh I get amused when he get's 'too close'
to venomous creatures.

lol Anti-venom Stat

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 31, 2004, 12:51:49 PM »

Just rhetroctical question, and what media player do you prefer? ( if there's one )

Real Player has horrible audio quality, horrible video quality, and the most intrusive media player on the planet. The last time I actually used Real Player was on February 12th to watch my parents renew their wedding vowes while in Las Vegas- afterwards I promptly uninstalled it. I cannot remember a time where I have ever willing used Real Player.

I guess I'm pretty picky when it comes to media formats, though. I don't like Windows Media Player and I hate Quicktime (especially because it never works for more than a few days on any of my computers for some reason). I use a Quicktime Alternative (Media Player Classic) for .mov files and DivX for just about everything else.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 31, 2004, 01:03:19 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker

Real Player has horrible audio quality, horrible video quality, and the most intrusive media player on the planet. The last time I actually used Real Player was on February 12th to watch my parents renew their wedding vowes while in Las Vegas- afterwards I promptly uninstalled it. I cannot remember a time where I have ever willing used Real Player.

I guess I'm pretty picky when it comes to media formats, though. I don't like Windows Media Player and I hate Quicktime (especially because it never works for more than a few days on any of my computers for some reason). I use a Quicktime Alternative (Media Player Classic) for .mov files and DivX for just about everything else.

When you say "Intrusive" do you mean like Adware/spyware? if so then that is crap, I really hate that Junk. Especially Kazaa. I use Kazaa lite++ ( no adware/spyware )

hey Mouse what are some of your Favourite PC games? if you have any?

I love Warcraft III & Frozen Throne.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 31, 2004, 01:08:13 PM »
Ok, what the hell?  This is for Resident Evil 4 discussion only...Take all that other stuff and use the pm's!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #459 on: March 31, 2004, 01:11:01 PM »
We've only seen the official *teaser* trailer.  We've yet to see how good the game truly is.

I still think the lighting on the villagers is still "off."  As they hold a torch, the upper portions of the body *should* be noticeably illuminated, not "OH I'm just a torch floating amongst pitch black darkness," as if the torch flame didn't give off any light, or if the developers made the intensity of the light unreasonably low.  If there was a brighter light-source shining towards the game camera, then the "blacked-out" villager lighting would be logical.

[after reviewing the trailer...]

HOLY CRAP, the lighting *DOES* make some sense, yet not.  In the outdoor night sequences, Leon's back is illuminated regardless of the lighting conditions of the environment, as if there's a "camera crew" behind him with a light shining above and to the left of him.  This closer light source would cause distant objects to appear darker since our eyes would adjust themselves to the brightness of the more direct, more intense light source, like how it's harder to see in the dark while driving when headlights from oncoming traffic shine directly at you.

The new question is, where the hell did this "camera crew" light come from?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 31, 2004, 01:33:33 PM »
perhaps leon is a part of the new season of survivor.  a camera crew follows him around, taping everything he does, but they're not allowed to play an active roll in events.  if this is the case, i'm really looking forward to the 1-on-1 confessions, where leon talks directly to the camera about things we just saw/did.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #461 on: March 31, 2004, 01:43:13 PM »
....: "Leon, did you... you know, with Claire?"

Leon: "...... No comment...."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leon: "CRIKEY!  Did you see THAT!?  The fangs on thAt little guy wur HUMONGOUS!"

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 31, 2004, 04:08:12 PM »

Originally posted by: Zero_Plague
Yep, I'm also from Australia... but akdaman1 was quite right on how not many people seem to like Australians.
Hopefully your not focusing on the stereotypical Australian... because we're nothing like the Steve Erwin kind.
In fact its quite rare that you run into someone down here that is actually... an Australian with Aussie background.

ahahahahahahahahahaha..............the Steve Erwin kind!

Yeah, he's right..........most Australian (you can me Aussie, I don't mind) are not like that; the outback/bush type.  You people get influenced by TV too much these days.

Oh ya.....back on topic............RE4 video blew me away.  A year ago, I was slighty interested in the game.  When Capcom showed they changed the game to mainly outdoors and reading IGNs preview, I became more interested.  Now, holy c-sticks, I want now!  I really like the boss battle on the boat in the lake.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 01, 2004, 01:00:35 PM »
http://media.cube.ign.com/media/015/015821/vids_1.html

It looks so damn fantastic and seems it plays a whole hell lot of fun.  I still think the enemies are zombies but in a different way.  More like zombies from the living rather from the dead.  Its also the first time I seen a totally different engine in action from RE.  I have heard things about what the gameplay is like but I always thought it would still be the same but more accesible and the video scraps whatever I thought.  The RE atmosphere is still there and does what looks like a better job of the camera than ED.  I hope there will be times Leon does experience insanity because it looks like they can add something like it and then you'll have pschological thriller and survival horror.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #464 on: April 01, 2004, 01:12:56 PM »
Nah.  Gameplay's different, controls are different.  RE4/ED's cameras cannot be compared validly.  RE4's camera is rather "STUCK," from the looks of the video.  It's much more like P.N.03's camera in that sense (Shinji Mikami's previously worked title).

Offline Zero_Plague

• Only Linkin Park understands
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 01, 2004, 06:59:57 PM »

Originally posted by: Draygaia
http://media.cube.ign.com/media/015/015821/vids_1.html
I hope there will be times Leon does experience insanity because it looks like they can add something like it and then you'll have pschological thriller and survival horror.

It might possibly work... but I don't really think that a sanity meter would fit in well with Resident Evil at all. Afterall, the sanity is best kept with Eternal Darkness as it suits more of a psychological horror game with ghosts and the supernatural. Resident Evil and Biohazard should just be kept strictly to science. (Genetic structure, viral chemicals etc.)
Besides, Leon has seen all the living dead (And other Hellish creations), so he would be used to all this stuff... therefore not needing a sanity meter.
It might work if we play as another character (For example, that young girl that Leon keeps the picture of).

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 02, 2004, 11:49:06 AM »
Or if maybe Leon was like Cloud (FFVII) and all his problems related to science and ancients.  It doesn't have to have magic, ghosts, artifacts, etc  It could be drugs, infection, some monster's mind affecting eyes, etc  My idea is if the insanity was supposed to be experienced and it really depends on your actions how you experience the insanity.  Nothing like ED were you have to fill up your sanity bar all the time and just worry about keeping it real.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 02, 2004, 07:02:10 PM »
Nah the insanity bar doesnt fit in here. Its not needed.

Im wondering if Chris and Claire will make an appearance in this.

What do you all think ? Will they?

P.S - Zer0 Plauge - Call me ASAP.

P.P.S.S - sorry bout my other P.S but MSN is down and he wouldnt notice a PM. Dont mind me.
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Zero_Plague

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 03, 2004, 12:29:35 AM »
Well, if Wesker is going to be in this... then there is quite a chance that Chris will be. I'm not too sure on Claire... although the epilogue of Code Veronica kind of hints that they are going to stay together. It'd be interesting to see Leon and Claire meet up again... and as well as Chris finally meeting Leon.

Hopefully, one of the characters are going to die. There are a little too many main characters... and some need to be killed. I'm hoping we get to see the last of Rebecca Chambers... as well finally seeing Chris confron Wesker and kill him off.
Although he's a great villain... their rivalry has gone on for too long, and it really needs to end. Might be interesting if we actually don't get the ending we expected, and might see Wesker kill Chris instead?

Whatever the matter... a character needs to be finished off.

By the way, I would of called you if I had seen the message earlier... but i'm not sure if it's too late now. I'll just speak to you tomorrow.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 03, 2004, 04:19:05 AM »
are we really supposed to believe that after six years, leon has never gotten around to meeting chris?  it doesn't seem entirely believable.  you'd think chris would want to meet the man who saved his sister's life.  or that claire would want to introduce leon to chris, since they have the same ultimate goal in life.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 03, 2004, 01:00:04 PM »

Originally posted by: kingvudu
are we really supposed to believe that after six years, leon has never gotten around to meeting chris?  it doesn't seem entirely believable.  you'd think chris would want to meet the man who saved his sister's life.  or that claire would want to introduce leon to chris, since they have the same ultimate goal in life.

Who knows they might have met in-beetween the 6 years. ( Low Piano Music ) DEN DEN DE DENNNNN
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 03, 2004, 01:44:01 PM »
I think the story of that has been revealed in the RE FPS games for the PSX.  I think so.  Either that or they aren't related.  Also I thougth the game's creators said it was shortly after RE2.  Is 6 years considered the right term to use "shortly" maybe I don't know.

Offline Zero_Plague

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 04, 2004, 01:22:54 PM »
All games in the Resident Evil saga are all related to each other, even if they are considered "Side-Stories" to other people.
I'm not sure if I had this discussion on these boards or reH... but the term "Side-Story" doesn't mean that you'll know the whole Resident Evil plot by playing through the numbered games.
All games relate to the story, no matter what... although Resident Evil: Gaiden is somewhat debatable.

For example, Resident Evil: Code Veronica (x) is considered a "Side-Story", but to be honest, it's story is one of the most vital out of the series.
As well as Resient Evil: Dead Aim. Again, its considered a "Side-Story", but in fact, it is a vital game needed to know the plot of Resident Evil.

As for myself, I never relate non-numbered Resident Evil games as "Side-Stories".
All are vital, and all are needed.

Gun Survivor 4, or Dead Aim, does take place between the times of Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 4 in 2002, so I guess you can kind of call that filling in the gap... but then again, it doesn't really tell us the exact position and status of Leon Kennedy or the other Resident Evil characters.

Offline scooter411

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 08, 2004, 01:04:27 PM »
this game looks simply amazing.  the graphics look almost as good (if not better) than the remake of the original, and if the graphics are that good, and yet the camera is not stuck, you know something good is going on there.  i like the idea of driving things in this one, cuz runnin over zombies is my favorite past time.  
If it's real for me do i have to prove it to you.  Why do revolutions fade, to cold blue untruths. -Bad Religion

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 08, 2004, 02:54:26 PM »
Am I the only who wants Capcom to make this game look a little more colorful ala RE 2, 3, and CV?  The remake, 0, and this one's color looks very dull.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?