Author Topic: Music  (Read 49386 times)

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:Music
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2007, 03:14:29 PM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure
eh.. one of my band mates is really into fall out boy and won´t shut up about them... i´ll admit this new album is alot better than the regurgitated stuff they´ve put out before but its still not for me. i dont like the singers voice which is a big put off to me in any style music.

Sounds about right. Some of their stuff is forgettable, some of it is damn catchy. Not something I listen to religiously, but much better than your average punk band these days.

Regarding their latest album: "This Ain't A Scene..." got annoying pretty damn fast and I stopped listening to the album a while ago, but then I came across the video for their latest single, "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs". A much more stellar song, and the clip has monkeys in it! Monkeys!

Here's a link to the streamed version: http://www.ifilm.com/video/2839281

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Music
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2007, 05:53:33 AM »
Anyone here heard of the Guillemots? ("gill-e-mots")
How 'bout Imogen Heap?
Remy Zero (pre-Garden State and pre-Smallville title track, more specifically)?
Bishop Allen?
The Shins?
Pizzicato 5?
Decemberists?
Ricky Skaggs (bluegrass instrumentals)? <– Frickin' legend, btw
Andrew Bird?
Camera Obscura?
Amadou & Mariam? <– Senegal's hottest pop duo!
Pink Martini?
Pilot Speed?
Porcupine Tree?
Gomez (Album: How We Operate)?
Calexico?
Oasis (Album: Be Here Now)?
Vienna Teng?
Nada Surf?
Los Amigos Invisibles? (from Venezuela, great energy in their music)

...HOW OUT OF TOUCH WITH YOU GUYS AM I?
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2007, 07:04:15 AM »
yero zero is available to stream on nine inch nails' (][\][ ][ ][/][, if you will) site.  It's ... interesting.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2007, 04:19:10 PM »
Wow Pizzicato 5 I haven't heard them in forever.  Them and Shonen Knife were popular with college kids a long time ago.  

Hmmm I used to listen to Sex Machineguns a lot (Not the pistols) They were the first really good speed metal band I heard.  Has anyone mentioned Rush yet?  I was at their last Concert in Toronto.  One of my favorite bands.
Some of you should listen to Tokyo Ska Paradise if only for their Tetris Cover.  Dream Theater is also worth a listen if your into progressive rock.  
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »
Decoyman: Pizzicatto 5 and Oasis are good...although now that you mention it, I didn't like Be Here Now much at all.  I like the rest of their albums.

Nada Surf is responsible for She F***ing Hates me, no?  It was an okay song, but I never heard anything else from them.

I am aware of Gomez, the Decemberists and Guillemots, but I don't know their music offhand.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2007, 05:11:41 PM »
the lack of metal in this topic is depressing

Favorite bands/etc:
Rage, Metallica, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Dream Theater, Kajiura Yuki, Joe Satriani, Guns n' Roses, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Buitres, Cuarteto de Nos, La Trampa

Important Stuff:
New Sonata Arctica album and the first single of Nightwish's sixth album next month!!
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2007, 01:45:15 AM »
Reading over this thread, it's pretty depressing no-one has mentioned The Stone Roses. They're probably my third favourite band, but that's only because they only released two albums. Their self-titled debut album is one of the greatest albums of all-time, and it's one of my five favourite albums. Their second release, Second Coming, is a solid release, but I feel falls short of their debut. It still is definately one of my top 15 albums though.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2007, 02:04:13 AM »
Oh yeah, to pretty much ignore all the recent stuff and talk about something else, the new Linkin Park album is out soon. After listening to their first single a few times (playable through their website) I'm still not sure what to think of the thought of a new album from them (disclaimer: judgements made based on a single song).

Its a different sound, and they're branching out creatively, but its a big difference from the music that made them popular. What they have right now is more of a straight-up rock sound. Its not a bad kind of rock, but it doesn't grab me in the way that their old stuff did.

I'll probably still get the album at some stage, but its certainly not urgent or as eagerly-awaited  now as I hoped it would be.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2007, 11:15:08 AM »
"Reading over this thread, it's pretty depressing no-one has mentioned The Stone Roses."

I just got into the Stone Roses a few months ago.  I had heard of them but didn't know any of their songs (or thought I didn't; Love Spreads actually got a fair bit of radio airplay in my area when it came out but I had no idea what the song was called or who played it at the time).  I like britpop like Oasis and Blur and in reading up on them found out that the Stone Roses had influenced those acts.  One time by fluke I found a site that had an MPS of Fools Gold so I downloaded it on a whim and liked it.  So I bought their greatest hits back in December without knowing any of their other songs.  And it's great stuff.  I especially like the songs "Sally Cinnamon", "This is the One" and "I Wanna be Adored".

I've never met anyone who has even heard of them but they never really amounted to much in North America.  Hell most people I meet are only familiar with Blur because of Song 2.  I don't find myself really digging much current music so it's nice to discover a band that was big in another part of the world but not here.  I got into The Jam in the same way.  To me it's like brand new music.  It reminds me of back when I was 13 and I made a conscious effort to get familiar with popular acts from before my time.  There was a surge of "new to me" material back then and at the time I really liked what was new material as well.

Anyone outside of Canada looking for undiscovered gems my favourite Canadian act is Blue Rodeo.  They're a mainstream act here but I figure they're unknown to much of the United States, Europe or Australia and they deserve more recognition compared to some incredibly overrated Canadian acts like the Tragically Hip or Our Lady Peace.

Offline AwesomeMan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2007, 11:30:25 AM »
I listen to metal, classic stuff like Rainbow, Dio, Sabbath, and Malmsteen. Also new stuff like Ensiferum, Falkenbach, Edguy, Elvenking and Angra. And for relaxing music i like baroque, and some pop singers like Eilera, and Bjork.

Offline AwesomeMan

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2007, 11:40:54 AM »
oh forgot to say, fans of metal RJD and Tony Iommi are Touring as Heaven and Hell, you are not metal if you miss it :p

Offline AwesomeMan

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2007, 11:50:58 AM »
 can a mod delete this accidental post plese.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Music
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2009, 09:08:01 PM »
Just broke 20,000 songs! WOOT!

What brought me over the edge was RadioHead and Ratatat discographies given to me by a friend. And holy ****...I've been missing out.

It's great to leave that many songs constantly playing at random; from beastie boys to weather report to talking heads. Food for the soul....yum.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »
Just broke 20,000 songs! WOOT!

What brought me over the edge was RadioHead and Ratatat discographies given to me by a friend. And holy ****...I've been missing out.

It's great to leave that many songs constantly playing at random; from beastie boys to weather report to talking heads. Food for the soul....yum.

A friend tried to get me into Ratatat but I wasn't feeling it. I'd break 10,000 already if it wasn't for my OCD when it comes to file names and whotnot, and also the fact that i'm constantly restoring my ipod because its a POS. 20,000 is... well, bravo!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »
You didn't like Ratatat? Have you heard what is probably their most popular song? http://www.supload.com/listen?s=8EKJCRU8E3ZB

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2009, 07:34:04 PM »
I'll check it out after work.

My friend only told me to check out two songs claiming they were their best songs and he said he thought i'd love them (we've known eachother like 15 years now so he knows me pretty well). I checked them out and one was ok... but then it got repetitive... and annoying.

I should've known better though, he likes a few of the same bands i like but he also ends up liking alot of mainstream cookie cutter crap as well as Abba and the A*teens. I've never even heard of the A*Teens before him...
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2009, 08:22:47 PM »
Ya some of their stuff can be a bit repetitive, but it's in the same vein as something like Daft Punk (which is insanely repetitive). It just sounds so good you don't care if it simply repeats.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2009, 10:23:05 PM »
eh... by that third or fourth cougar sound i had to shut it off. I guess i'll just never be into them. While Daft Punk is insanely repetitive, their music doesn't sound like some college kid making music with a synthesizer and a soundboard.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2009, 01:48:00 AM »
I can see that.

I'm curious,, what music do you genre do you listen to the most?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2009, 08:50:35 AM »
I can see that.

I'm curious,, what music do you genre do you listen to the most?

That's somewhat unfair to answer because my taste is varies from time to time. Lately I've been listening to more hip-hop/dance/electro music, for instance. Since Sunday though, I've been listening to a lot more pop-punk/punk bands for reasons that would be familiar to fans of a particular band that shall rename nameless at the moment :)

To say i prefer X genre might skew ones opinion and easily dismiss my lack of interest for Ratatat as "oh well he just doesn't like Y music." That's not the case though, I just haven't found the song that opens the floodgates. By that I mean that there is usually a song or two by any given artist/band that just clicks with me and makes everything else they do accessable. It doesn't always happen though, which might be the case here.

For the record though, if you browsed my ipod/itunes by genre you'd have a higher percentage of artists labeled under some sort of "Rock" category.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2009, 07:59:39 AM »
I've been listening to Girl Talk a whole lot lately, it's like the music that I'm hearing when I'm drunk. All songs I know all broken up and mashed together in my head and somehow forming an awesome paste of music. So basically is mash-up dance music done really well.

Also I've been listening to some more indie/alternatice music, like Plants and Animals (which is good stuff), Deerhunter (their album last year was in my Top 5) and Animal Collective (their new album this year is godly), all of which I recommend highly.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2009, 09:01:02 AM »
I've been listening to Girl Talk a whole lot lately, it's like the music that I'm hearing when I'm drunk. All songs I know all broken up and mashed together in my head and somehow forming an awesome paste of music. So basically is mash-up dance music done really well.

Also I've been listening to some more indie/alternatice music, like Plants and Animals (which is good stuff), Deerhunter (their album last year was in my Top 5) and Animal Collective (their new album this year is godly), all of which I recommend highly.

I tried to give Girl Talk a try but i couldn't get into them, and i usually love mash-ups! I have a ton of them on my ipod, my favorite being Thriller+ Some snoop dogg song i don't know the name of, but its HOOOOOOOTTT. Girl Talk, was just...meh. I downloaded a few albums and tried to listen to random songs off everyone and nothing caught my attention.

I've gotten into a few indie bands recently, like She & Him which is the lovely Zoey Deschanel's musical project. Also, another indie band with a female lead that i've gotten into recently is Rilo Kiley, with said lead being Jenny Lewis of The Wizard fame (aka "HE TOUCHED MY BREASTs!"

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2016, 10:04:05 PM »
I can't find the newer music thread anywhere, so **** it, let's do it live!

Metallica - Hardwired...to Self-Destruct
is fucking great!
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2017, 10:15:42 PM »
We could use more music discussion here. I'm bumping without shame.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2017, 11:21:49 AM »
I kinda like Volbeat now...Should I be ashamed?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA