Author Topic: Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized  (Read 296396 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized
« Reply #475 on: May 22, 2007, 05:52:38 AM »
It's time for some screen compares!

Prime 1

Prime 2

Prime 3 from months ago.

Prime 3 now

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized
« Reply #476 on: May 22, 2007, 05:54:34 AM »
ShyGuy - The "Prime 2" screen looks the best...
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #477 on: May 22, 2007, 06:00:49 AM »
I am really torn about it being single player now.

I was really hoping for online, but this is practically absolute confirmation that it isn't online.  (I won't say it is, because until the game is out we don't know what Nintendo or Retro could be hiding.)

The game sounds epic though, and that is going to be exciting.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 22, 2007, 06:20:23 AM »
you know whats funny? retro outright DENIED any multiplayer a long time ago, but people still expected it, and now they are whiny... you have only yourselves to blame.

The screens are ok and I need to see it in motion, but the comparison with galaxy/brawl screens is not favorable, besides the screens aren't showing anything we didn't already see in past footage.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 22, 2007, 07:35:39 AM »
Graphics aren't exceptional by any means, but they get the job done. Nothing on 360 graphics-wise has justified the bank account raping price tag and that includes Gears of War which was gorgeous in its own right (just not $400 gorgeous, you know).

My hope for Corruption is that it crushes Prime 2 gameplay wise. When Echoes wasn't more of the same (i.e. Light Aether), it was a pain in the ass most of the time (i.e. Dark Aether).

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: May 22, 2007, 07:52:35 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
you know whats funny? retro outright DENIED any multiplayer a long time ago, but people still expected it, and now they are whiny... you have only yourselves to blame.

Actually, with the internet being the rumor mill that it is and Reggie's refusal to outright DENY multiplayer, I wouldn't blame people at all.

It was supposed to be a launch title and was delayed for nearly a year. Most assumed that they had to be adding some immense new feature to it, otherwise how could they have been so wrong about the dev time? (unless they're planning on porting it to Wii 2, heh).

If there is indeed no multiplayer, I'll just have to wait for Redsteel 2. If Nintendo won't do it, hopefully Ubisoft will.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #481 on: May 22, 2007, 08:07:14 AM »

Originally posted by: Rhoq
ShyGuy - The "Prime 2" screen looks the best...

Above is another comparison I will certainly throw out.  The Prime2 shot and the month-ago Prime3 shot are the most comparable, resolution wise and capture-method-wise, but then again you're comparing a CLOSED ROOM (Prime2) to the EXTERIOR OF A BASE INSIDE AN EMPTY CANYON AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME (Prime3).   Guess which shot will throw more polygons into your view point?  These 2 screens aren't even displayed at the game's resolution, they're smaller.

And Brawl's screens are not roughly the same size as the Prime3 screens.  Maybe your monitor resolution is too high and forgot that most of the world sees 480 vertical pixels on their TV, so things seem to fall into the same "small" ballpark on your monitor.  Brawl's oh-so-tiny screens are small enough to hide pixels edges.  And Prime3's larger screens were made by someone who lacks knowledge on picture resizing functions (never used Irfanview?).

Rule #1
- Don't expect Nintendo and its partners to release good screenshots.

Rule #2
- Nintendo and its partners don't create screenshots using the same methods, every time.  They basically figure out how to make screenshots "for the first time ever" every time they need to release new screenshots.

Oh, and since Prime3 runs at 60fps, you've got to lose image detail somewhere.  Tell me about an action game on 360 or PS3 that involves runny-shooty-shooty w/ guns that offers that kind of fluidity (then tell me why many games aren't running 60fps in the first place even though they're on the next generation of hardware while many 16-bit games ran at 60fps).  
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 22, 2007, 08:25:33 AM »
All I'm asking for is a little bloom, a little dynamic lighting. Maybe some color on the textures that isn't muddy.

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 22, 2007, 08:36:34 AM »
Interesting note, Samus hasn't acquired the grapple beam yet.  The beam that is coming out seems to be coming from the jewel on her wrist.  As far as I know, the jewel has never been used before, just shown.  I think that's awesome.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 22, 2007, 08:53:52 AM »
oh good observation.

What I'm not digging at all is how plastic/metallic everything is, I know the prime games weren't that good in that regard, but the ing in echoes were a step in the right direction towards a more "organic" feel so to speak, which is the norm in the 2D games. I don't know if its a graphics problem ( its easier to render a metallic armor than a giant bug oozing some weird green goo) or an art problem ( they want the game to be more "edgy" or something and they don't like giant bugs). Well, we haven't seen the whole thing yet, so I'm still waiting, retro has to had done something in this extra year of development, and I hope is a disgusting giant creature right out of an Alien movie and not an armada or federation troopers.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 22, 2007, 09:01:04 AM »
Retro needs to beef up her wrist/lower forearm, in my opinion.

And MattVDB, you've got a good eye.  
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 22, 2007, 09:03:24 AM »
Agreed.

In Super Metriod, I like how everything had a old organic feel to it. Like how there was still technology, but it was over-run by nature.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline The Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 22, 2007, 11:06:23 AM »
Graphics arent good enough. I thought they said it was going to look better by now :S Im not one to usually complain about graphics, but I do want it to look better.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 22, 2007, 11:43:05 AM »
Still screenshots are always 100% representative of what the final game will look like in motion.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 22, 2007, 11:50:54 AM »
Those two screenshots look nearly the same.

If not online multiplayer, why the hell was the game delayed?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 22, 2007, 01:05:53 PM »
Umm....

To add  to/fix/tweak the gameplay?

I don't know...It's just a guess....
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 22, 2007, 01:10:11 PM »
Am I the only one who hasn't had the patience to even finish Prime 2, yet?
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline The Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 22, 2007, 01:15:24 PM »
You are not alone! I never finished Prime 2 either. I found it way to tedious. Prime 3 is supposed to be a bit more action and less tedious exploration so thats a good thing.

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 22, 2007, 01:16:30 PM »
It turns out these "new" screenshots have already been released.  Months ago.  That is why they don't look better than the build from months ago.  Let me see if I can find the video they are from...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 22, 2007, 01:21:44 PM »
"In Super Metriod, I like how everything had a old organic feel to it. Like how there was still technology, but it was over-run by nature."

Different planet...But Retro did confirm we'd be visiting different planets, so I think it'd be silly to think that there won't be any "natural" regions in the game...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: May 22, 2007, 01:28:15 PM »

Originally posted by: Maverick
Am I the only one who hasn't had the patience to even finish Prime 2, yet?

I couldn't finish it, either.

I love the puzzles and bosses (which ARE puzzles in their own right) in the Metroid games. They're clever and typically awesome, but the sheer amount of walking around between these puzzles and bosses was so boring that I couldn't finish it.

Prime 3 supposedly fixed that, though.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 22, 2007, 02:17:09 PM »
I never finished Prime, and never played Prime 2. Am I a bad person?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 22, 2007, 02:22:41 PM »
No, but I can't promise that 3 will be your bag, either.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 22, 2007, 02:51:06 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
oh good observation.

What I'm not digging at all is how plastic/metallic everything is, I know the prime games weren't that good in that regard, but the ing in echoes were a step in the right direction towards a more "organic" feel so to speak, which is the norm in the 2D games. I don't know if its a graphics problem ( its easier to render a metallic armor than a giant bug oozing some weird green goo) or an art problem ( they want the game to be more "edgy" or something and they don't like giant bugs). Well, we haven't seen the whole thing yet, so I'm still waiting, retro has to had done something in this extra year of development, and I hope is a disgusting giant creature right out of an Alien movie and not an armada or federation troopers.

I'm sure there are many more environments they want to keep hidden.

Offline Chiller

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 22, 2007, 03:09:21 PM »
I quite Prime 2 after failing to beat the final boss.  It seems that I missed a few life containers along the way, and I really didn't want to go look for them.  I tried to beat the boss a few times, but I really didn't care about it any more.  You could say that I played the last 20% of the game haphazardly, as I was just trying to get it over with.  It was much less entertaining that Prime, which I had no trouble beating (with 95% of the discoveries/cataloging completed).
"Mweeeep"
Charles Seeburg