Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*  (Read 3159251 times)

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Wii rumor thread *bring your own salt*
« Reply #950 on: April 24, 2008, 06:12:39 PM »
Didn't Miyamoto or Aonuma say in an interview once that they experimented with first person sword combat in TP at one point?
GOREGASM!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 24, 2008, 06:22:08 PM »
Or how about a spinoff where you play as Link?

A spinoff doesn't need to imply a drastic change of cast, but a change in perspective from what is expected from the main series...Just like the Four Swords games and Link's Crossbow Training are considered spinoffs because the game is played differently...
I'm aware of the nature of spin-offs so I don't need an explanation from you. I was only offering suggestions........

Still, why not just make a new IP?

And I'd say the only reason Miyamoto is suddenly interested in First Person Shooters is because 3rd parties aren't taking the Wii seriously as a console for "hardcore" gaming and the FPS, a "hardcore" gamer's genre, are more or less the best and easiest way to showcase the Wii remotes abilities. Makes sense to me anyway.....
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 06:24:05 PM by Adrock »

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 24, 2008, 06:28:45 PM »
I remember Miyamoto expressing interest in FPSes on Wii way back before it even launched.  He may indeed be disappointed by the relative lack of them coming from third parties so far.

Maybe he's making Retro make Geist 2, and that's why those guys quit.  :D

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 24, 2008, 06:31:07 PM »
Still, why not just make a new IP?

This is Nintendo...Miyamoto especially is fond of using Nintendo characters with new gameplay formulas, as we all know, for better or for worse (Personally, I don't think Mario Galaxy would have been any better if it started a new original cast...)

And I'd say the only reason Miyamoto is suddenly interested in First Person Shooters is because 3rd parties aren't taking the Wii seriously as a console for "hardcore" gaming and the FPS, a "hardcore" gamer's genre, are more or less the best and easiest way to showcase the Wii remotes abilities. Makes sense to me anyway.....

Point taken, but I don't really understand why he would specifically mention the Japanese...I don't believe slightly improved Japanese sales of western FPSers would make that much of an effect on 3rd party support of the Wii...The only thing I personally think would cause Miyamoto to make a statement like this is if Nintendo itself was preparing a big internal FPS themselves...

Maybe he's making Retro make Geist 2, and that's why those guys quit.  :D

Hey, if I were told to make Geist 2 I'd be all over it... =(
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 24, 2008, 06:44:15 PM »
If Super Mario Galaxy were an original IP, it would have been Dale's Planet Jumper Deluxe and sold three hundred copies, all to one Kiwanis Club in Marietta, GA.

Those that clamored for original IP would have ignored it, wondering "where the hell Mario is?" or asking "Why does Nintendo rely on franchises so much?"  The same thing happened with the GBA and also somehow the DS still gets this charge lobbied at it from time to time.  People like Ian Sane moan for Original IP lament franchises, and then proceed to not show interest when Original IP shows up, in favor of more moaning for original IP and lamenting franchises.

It's a cycle that's easy to see if you simply read old forums posts.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 24, 2008, 06:52:15 PM »
Personally, I don't think Mario Galaxy would have been any better if it started a new original cast...
Galaxy also wasn't a spin-off. I'm not opposed to Nintendo releasing main series games. Spin offs just seem pointless to me because that spin-off could have been an original IP.
Point taken, but I don't really understand why he would specifically mention the Japanese...I don't believe slightly improved Japanese sales of western FPSers would make that much of an effect on 3rd party support of the Wii...The only thing I personally think would cause Miyamoto to make a statement like this is if Nintendo itself was preparing a big internal FPS themselves...
Well, I would imagine that Miyamoto is hoping for more than "slightly improved Japanese sales of western FPSers." The success of more "hardcore" games of any genre would encourage Japanese 3rd parties to make more "hardcore" Wii games. FPS games just happen to be the perfect fit for the Wii.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 24, 2008, 07:15:45 PM »
What if those guys who left all end up at Rare and turn the company around. Just a random thought.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 24, 2008, 07:20:46 PM »
Rare's problem was management, not the actual development (they kept and still keep missing milestones), so they wouldn't make any difference... =)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 24, 2008, 08:25:20 PM »
I think the ex-Retro peoples see that the freedom of WiiWare is the future. GIVE US A HARD DRIVE NINTENDO.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 25, 2008, 04:24:56 AM »
Retro working on Kid Icarus doesn't make much sense either. I thought they wanted to work on something different. If they get Kid Icarus, Nintendo has basically just relegated them to the status of revival house. Might as well give them Star Tropics and Radar Scope while they're at it......

Nintendo shouldn't "waste" Retro on older franchises. I want a sequel to Kid Icarus, but I also want an original title from Retro. Conundrum! Nintendo could always nurture a new team like they did with Retro and give them Kid Icarus. At least we can rest easier knowing that Nintendo won't let thier old franchises crash and burn under a new developer since there's precedence for them not doing that.

In all seriousness, I always thought the name "Retro" represented the purpose of the studio; which is to re-make old games,,, doesn't the word Retro literally mean to bring old stuff back to the forefront? I always thought it did, but I could be wrong. Anyways, I thought that's why they were behind Metroid and the rumors they are involved in Kid Icarus.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: May 09, 2008, 02:22:12 AM »
So the cocktease Kid Icarus Wii rumors are back, this time with some proposed artwork.... ironically showing Pit as a man... Kid Icarus featuring Pit as a man..... one of which clearly looks inspired by God of War.

Seriously, are the people who make up thse rumors even trying anymore?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: May 09, 2008, 03:04:35 AM »
If you want to get technical, the art is not supposed to represent what the game will look like if it exists...(Concept art first shown when Factor 5 supposedly brought their idea to Nintendo...)

(And frankly, excluding Pit's appearance from Brawl, I think Ninty could do whatever they want with Kid Icarus, even as far as making him an adult...as long as it's good! =D)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 03:08:49 AM by Bill Aurion »

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: May 09, 2008, 04:29:38 AM »
Those images are fake.  I assure you 100% there is not one iota of reality around them.

All the signs are there, but only one needs to be pointed out:

A generic gaming blog (not even a major one) got ahold of classified artwork shared between two secretive companies and are now being linked to left and right.

Can you say "HEY!  LOOK AT US!"? Kombo sure did!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #963 on: May 09, 2008, 07:57:08 AM »
Those images are fake.  I assure you 100% there is not one iota of reality around them.

All the signs are there, but only one needs to be pointed out:

A generic gaming blog (not even a major one) got ahold of classified artwork shared between two secretive companies and are now being linked to left and right.

Can you say "HEY!  LOOK AT US!"? Kombo sure did!

QFT. I don't have a problem with any of the art if it was true, but come on! There is no damn way these guys got a hold of something this massive.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: May 09, 2008, 02:32:52 PM »
Can someone link to the artwork for those of us too lazy to find it ourselves?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: May 09, 2008, 04:17:49 PM »
Looks like I have to play Defense Force even though I don't really care...I just find the reasons for it "being fake" silly...A small site getting "a massive story"?  It's concept art that sounds like it's nothing like what the game would look like...

Small sites and random GameFaqs people get a hold of information all the time, unless people have already forgotten Brawl...As for AMN (Kombo), the one major news story that I can recall is when they said that Silicon Knights was having issues with the UE3 engine, and SK denied it, and they were called out for making news up...And we all know what happened with that, right?  Not to mention that AMN has been claiming Factor 5 has been working on Kid Icarus for quite a while now, long before IGN started doing it, so it's not like they are just riding the coattails of another site's rumours...

Of course, I'm sure if the game does turn out to exist many will claim it to be coincidence, but eh, whatever...

Here you go, vudu...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 04:20:10 PM by Bill Aurion »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: May 09, 2008, 05:12:59 PM »
There was no doubt in my mind that those images were fake. I was just commenting on how poorly constructed the rumor was.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: May 09, 2008, 05:16:36 PM »
Some of those images look like they're straight out of Eternity's Child.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline RedBlue

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: May 09, 2008, 05:56:07 PM »
I loved the photoshop wings on the dude those are some skills. :)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: May 10, 2008, 12:52:33 AM »
I'm sorry, these are clearly fake.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Deep-Six

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: May 12, 2008, 04:07:16 PM »
I'd bet my Wii that thoes are indeed real and here's why, IGN whe seems to know alot about the game (more then we know anyway) were talking about it in there newest podcast.  First Matt says its one of his top three most wanted Wii games and says that whoever working on the game will make it look "pretty"  Then later on he talks about Facter 5 and says they are working on one of the titles Matt mentioned in his top 3.  Basecally its pretty obvious that a new Kidd Icarus is coming and from IGN's clues its being made by Factor 5.  Part of the rumer with the art states that Facter 5 has a part in the game and if that part is true I beleve the Concept art is also.  Plus, with Factor 5 having made Lair, I'm sure they're pretty willing to to stay with the midevil/Fanticy theam.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: May 12, 2008, 05:04:26 PM »
Well here's another rumor that could actually be true.  The rumor is that Platinum Games, a studio that's made of former Clover employee's has struck a deal with Sega to publish 3 of their games.  According to this rumor, one of these games is a title called MadWorld that will be for the Wii.  It's supposed to be a stylish ultra violent game from the description.

http://kotaku.com/5008698/sega-and-platinum-games-join-forces
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: May 12, 2008, 05:07:56 PM »
That seems like a crazy jump from Okami to "MadWorld"... =(

Gimme another beautiful epic!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 12, 2008, 05:09:38 PM »
That seems like a crazy jump from Okami to "MadWorld"... =(

Wouldn't it be a logical progression from God Hand to MadWorld?  ;)

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 12, 2008, 05:10:34 PM »
As long as it has nothing to do with the Gary Joules song, bring it on.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.