Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674364 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: Out for the Season (Broken Hand)
« Reply #1975 on: January 07, 2020, 09:07:16 AM »
Regarding the Embiid injury: 
Ugh. Looks horrible, and will definitely not feel good for a while. But (probably) not as bad or as serious as it looked. These kind of finger dislocations happen more than you'd expect, they just don't always get caught so clearly on camera.

I've had dislocations before, and suspect most (amateur) athletes have as well. Maybe not so blatant though!
That one looked nasty. The Thunder bench reaction really adds to the video.
 ;D

(Edit: After reading Embiid's own comments, I'm probably being too flippant here. Moderately serious dislocations happen a handful of times per year in the NBA; doesn't make it any less painful or nasty looking though.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:11:14 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: January 07, 2020, 11:05:11 AM »
Damn, Toronto gets a key reserve back from injury tonight... at the cost of another starter taking his spot on the injured list. It's amazing they have a .667 record considering how many injuries to key player they've endured so far; having two starters from last year choose to just walk away didn't help the depth chart either.

Maybe this is karma for taking the championship last year against a decimated Warriors squad?  Maybe not, because the Raptors had to fight through their own injuries in the playoffs along the way - that's a part of the process for almost every team that makes it so deep.

It just blows to follow your team and know that they are consistently missing key contributors. Seems like there are a lot of teams in the same boat this year though. Here's hoping for better health across the league in 2020.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: January 07, 2020, 12:25:43 PM »
Warriors fan here.... just went to a game on Sunday at the new stadium. We had NO contributors playing. It was like a Pre-Season exhibition with the practice squad... only it's the regular season with our actual "available" roster and we have no chance at the playoffs, or even much less, a decent win/loss ratio.

It's frustrating to watch, but I endure, hoping to catch a glimpse of the hopeful turds being polished into jewels of some value, while we patiently wait for the next season to start.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 12:27:17 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1978 on: January 07, 2020, 02:07:21 PM »
Warriors fan here.... just went to a game on Sunday at the new stadium. We had NO contributors playing. It was like a Pre-Season exhibition with the practice squad... only it's the regular season with our actual "available" roster and we have no chance at the playoffs, or even much less, a decent win/loss ratio.

It's frustrating to watch, but I endure, hoping to catch a glimpse of the hopeful turds being polished into jewels of some value, while we patiently wait for the next season to start.
As a Suns fan I understand somewhat.  There has been some games which I went to where there was at least one player of the team was either injured/suspended.  While it is not exact as all the games I have been to has had Booker, Oubre Jr and Bridges playing. It is tough to see a team not playing up to potential it could with healthy players playing.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: January 08, 2020, 10:40:14 AM »
I think if Collison doesn't sign with the Lakers then DRose is probably the best option.  Detroit has said that they are shopping around Drummond and if they are going to rebuild then maybe DRose can come to the Lakers and provide scoring and playmaking off the bench.  Then we would only need a wing defender.   Maybe a 3 team trade with the Lakers, Detroit and Memphis/ Team which has our preferred wing defender will work.
I’ve seen Derrick Rose’s name thrown around. He’d check two boxes for the Lakers as you mentioned. I’m conflicted about the Lakers trading their only asset for a player who has bounced around the league for a few years. Rose is signed for next year so that fits into the Lakers’ 2021 plans. Ideally, he’d ask to be released since Pistons owner, Tom Gores, recently suggested he’s open to just rebuilding and Rose doesn’t fit that plan. Kuzma might be enough to get Rose since he’s young and on a team friendly contract for another year.

Anyway, Anthony Davis’ MRI came back clean and he plans to travel with the team for a back-to-back Friday and Saturday. Probably a good idea to keep Davis out of the lineup. Porzingis is out so the Lakers may be able to eek out a win in Dallas. Still, Davis defending Dončić on the pick and roll is a big reason why the Lakers won their last game against the Mavericks.

Nice win last night. I fell asleep during the third quarter because I’m old. I hate that the Knicks are perennially bad.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1980 on: January 08, 2020, 11:48:34 AM »
I think if Collison doesn't sign with the Lakers then DRose is probably the best option.  Detroit has said that they are shopping around Drummond and if they are going to rebuild then maybe DRose can come to the Lakers and provide scoring and playmaking off the bench.  Then we would only need a wing defender.   Maybe a 3 team trade with the Lakers, Detroit and Memphis/ Team which has our preferred wing defender will work.
I’ve seen Derrick Rose’s name thrown around. He’d check two boxes for the Lakers as you mentioned. I’m conflicted about the Lakers trading their only asset for a player who has bounced around the league for a few years. Rose is signed for next year so that fits into the Lakers’ 2021 plans. Ideally, he’d ask to be released since Pistons owner, Tom Gores, recently suggested he’s open to just rebuilding and Rose doesn’t fit that plan. Kuzma might be enough to get Rose since he’s young and on a team friendly contract for another year.

Anyway, Anthony Davis’ MRI came back clean and he plans to travel with the team for a back-to-back Friday and Saturday. Probably a good idea to keep Davis out of the lineup. Porzingis is out so the Lakers may be able to eek out a win in Dallas. Still, Davis defending Dončić on the pick and roll is a big reason why the Lakers won their last game against the Mavericks.

Nice win last night. I fell asleep during the third quarter because I’m old. I hate that the Knicks are perennially bad.
I put in some ideas for the trade machine and Quinn Cook and Troy Daniels work straight up for Rose and we lose some of the players who are not playing as much for a needed piece.  With Rose we would have 13 players and have room to get a wing defender either on a buyout, Using Boogies disabled player exception or with Kuzma.  Ideally we would keep Kuzma through all this so he can play behind AD or alongside the starters so we have that front court depth.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: January 08, 2020, 12:32:16 PM »
I put in some ideas for the trade machine and Quinn Cook and Troy Daniels work straight up for Rose and we lose some of the players who are not playing as much for a needed piece.
What incentive do the Pistons have to take back a couple of bench warmers in exchange for one of their more productive players? If the Lakers want Rose, it’ll cost them Kuzma unless Rose is granted a release, and he’d likely have to give back money to do so.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: January 09, 2020, 08:52:19 PM »
Oh, boo!  Embiid is getting surgery on his hand after that nasty-looking finger incident.
I feel bad about making light earlier; dislocations happen, but torn ligaments really suck.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: January 09, 2020, 11:01:21 PM »
that was a pretty nasty looking dislocation..... I wouldn't have thought that surgery would be necessary if they taped it up and sent him back in the game though.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1984 on: January 09, 2020, 11:05:39 PM »
I put in some ideas for the trade machine and Quinn Cook and Troy Daniels work straight up for Rose and we lose some of the players who are not playing as much for a needed piece.
What incentive do the Pistons have to take back a couple of bench warmers in exchange for one of their more productive players? If the Lakers want Rose, it’ll cost them Kuzma unless Rose is granted a release, and he’d likely have to give back money to do so.
They want to rebuild. They are shopping around Drummond and Blake has undergone surgery which will take him out for the season. They have good young pieces to build around in Svi, Sekou Demboya and Luke Kanard.    Cook and Daniels are only bench warmers right now on the Lakers because the Lakers have so many guards taking up minutes.   
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: January 10, 2020, 12:00:57 PM »
Steph Curry back to shooting practice with his hand out the brace. I heard reports that speculated a February return is likely for the not so baby faced assassin.
https://warriorswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/08/report-injured-steph-curry-goes-through-shooting-workout-brace-free/

but the real reason I wanted to post this story, other than the obvious fact that Curry could be playing again by my birthday, is for the story that followed it, and that shows Curry is also already courting Giannis :D should the opportunity come for him to join the Warrior squad next season!!!
https://warriorswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/09/report-steph-curry-gifted-giannis-antetokounmpo-a-signed-jersey/

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: January 10, 2020, 05:11:44 PM »
They want to rebuild. They are shopping around Drummond and Blake has undergone surgery which will take him out for the season. They have good young pieces to build around in Svi, Sekou Demboya and Luke Kanard. Cook and Daniels are only bench warmers right now on the Lakers because the Lakers have so many guards taking up minutes.   
Can’t say I agree with this. Cook and Daniels were brought on for shooting and really haven’t done that well. They got plenty of burn earlier in the season and did not contribute as expected. Their shooting was not good enough to justify their collective lack of defense. Last season, the Lakers had to send a young player (Svi Mykhailiuk) AND a second round pick to the Pistons for Reggie Bullock, a player the Pistons has no intention of re-signing. And that o lot happened because Magic Johnson had no idea how to build a team. There’s just no f-ing way the Pistons just send over a player with Rose’s production for two players currently riding the pine. I like the Lakers too, but that’s just homer-talk (no offense).
Curry is also already courting Giannis :D should the opportunity come for him to join the Warrior squad next season!!!
I know you’re mostly joking. The Warriors don’t have the cap space or valuable picks to offer. I can’t see him leaving. I would give the Lakers the slimmest of chances because the Los Angeles market is a stupid advantage 100% of the time (but an advantage nonetheless), they have Anthony Davis, and they’ll have cap space even if LeBron James doesn’t opt out. I’m talking like 1% to 5% at best, and that’s assuming the Bucks don’t win the championship this year or next, and he feels like they can’t.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: January 10, 2020, 10:53:42 PM »
I'm dead serious....

word has it that Curry been courting Giannis, the same way Draymond was courting Durant.
rumor is that Giannis is kinda fed up with his team, and if they don't make it to the promise land this year, he may opt out of his last year and join the Golden Squad.

I don't have the math on numbers, but....
We gonna ditch D-Lo and leverage that Top3-4 pick we got, and Giannis may take a haircut, and the Warriors will eat the Luxury Tax, and Chase Center ticket prices will skyrocket about 350% above what they are today and everything will be right again.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: January 10, 2020, 11:18:13 PM »
Man, you guys have no idea how refreshing it is to see the Jazz actually crushing the mediocre-to-poor teams that they SHOULD be crushing. We've had way too many close games this season for where this team is supposed to be.

I'm really happy with how Clarkson has turned around this bench, as Mudiay & Niang are playing much better basketball now that he's on the floor. And with Green gone & Davis pretty much permanently relegated to the 3rd unit, Tony Bradley is starting to develop decent game (albeit a very foul-prone one). Got to hand it to the Jazz management: they really know how to get that one player mid-season needed to turn everything around.

Supposed it's too much to hope that the Warriors beat the Clippers tonight, allowing the Jazz to keep the #3 Seed in the West for longer than 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:21:06 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: January 10, 2020, 11:39:04 PM »
I'm glad we have your support. We will try not to **** this up by rookie-balling it in the 2nd half.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: January 11, 2020, 12:09:12 AM »
I'm glad we have your support. We will try not to **** this up by rookie-balling it in the 2nd half.

Hey, how could you lose when you have the greatest Jazz player ever on your team, Alex Burks? :P

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1991 on: January 11, 2020, 12:56:40 AM »
Warriors were in it till the last minute and then the Clippers got super defensive and blocked lots of shots. Clippers 109-100
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1992 on: January 11, 2020, 03:44:02 AM »
Suns won an impressive game tonight and it is much needed not only for the record as a whole but for the fanbase.  After the past few losses there has been talk about blowing it up and just going for a draft pick but I am liking that the team never gives up.

Here is the last few minutes of the game versus the Magic. 
For BnM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R01R8IF7DuM

As for the Lakers tonight versus the Mavs it was a game of injured starting power forwards.  So for the first time this year Kuzma started in place of AD and he did really well.   In 33 minutes of play he scored 26 points, 6 rebounds and 2 assists.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEFXdiOOarA

Also of note with AD out McGee and Howard both got 3 fouls at the half and then half way through the 3rd both had picked up their 5th foul.  So Vogel went with Jared Dudley as a small ball center for about 3 minutes to go along with this lineup.  Rondo, Caruso, Green, KCP and Dudley.  That small lineup held the Mavs to 5 points in 3 minutes to end the 3rd quarter. That lineup had 8 points.   Dudley played really well throughout the game not only as Kuzma's backup but also as a smallball center in the 3rd and 4th. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: January 11, 2020, 05:27:31 PM »
I don't have the math on numbers, but....
We gonna ditch D-Lo and leverage that Top3-4 pick we got, and Giannis may take a haircut, and the Warriors will eat the Luxury Tax, and Chase Center ticket prices will skyrocket about 350% above what they are today and everything will be right again.
The numbers are not on the Warriors' side. Not impossible, just improbable. This season, the NBA apron is $138,928,000. The Warriors' total salary this year is $138,818,443. Once a team is over the apron, they're hit with a bunch of restrictions like a reduced MLE/mini-MLE, ineligible for bi-annual exception, ineligible for sign-and-trade etc. If a team is under the apron and does any of the apron restrictions that puts them over the apron, they're hard-capped for the remainder of the season. I'm just putting this out there for reference. You know the Warriors would have to make some moves. My point is being so far over the cap makes doing anything extremely difficult.

The projected salary cap for 2021-2022 is $125,000,000, may go up/down depending on revenue. Here are the Warriors' notable salaries right now for that year (may go up/down depending on the exact salary cap because I believe max contracts are based on percentage of the salary cap):
  • Steph Curry: $45,780,966
  • Klay Thompson: $37,980,720
  • D'Angelo Russell: $30,013,500
  • Draymond Green: $24,026,712
Even if the Warriors declined all team options that summer, their total salary would be ~$147,000,000 plus the salary of this summer's lottery pick (~$138,000,000 would be tied up in the aforementioned four players) which is probably between the luxury tax line and the apron. To be able to offer a max contract in the summer of 2021 for a seven to nine year veteran (~$38,000,000) like Giannis Antetokounmpo, the Warriors would have to trade any combination of TWO of those four players (and clear the decks of smaller salaries on the books). Other teams would know what the Warriors have to do and will make them pay to do it. Again, not impossible; I merely question whether they have the assets to shed two of those contracts without taking any long-term salary back.

Since we're playing with numbers, it should be noted the Warriors can conceivably keep three of the four players if the Bucks agree to a sign-and-trade. I doubt the Bucks would be interested; just noting that the math works.
  • If the Warriors keep Curry, Thompson, and Green, they can offer Antetokounmpo ~$17,000,000 which ~$8,000,000 less than he's making this year if they clear all other salary.
  • If the Warriors keep Thompson, Russell, and Green, they can offer Antetokounmpo ~$32,000,000, meaning he would be ~$6,000,000 below a max contract.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 01:24:18 PM by Adrock »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1994 on: January 11, 2020, 09:13:33 PM »
Lakers are playing the Thunder. AD, LeBron and Danny Green are out tonight.  Score is 73-49 at the half. Lakers are winning.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1995 on: January 11, 2020, 10:42:07 PM »
Lakers won tonight versus the Thunder. Kuzma and Rondo went off early on and the score after 1 quarter was 41 to 19.  I am happy for this win because everyone contributed in one way or another.  Wonderful win!! Lakers won 125-110.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: January 11, 2020, 11:16:53 PM »
With the surprise Cavs victory over the Nuggets tonight, we now have a virtual 4-way tie for Seeds 2-5 in the Western Conference (the Clippers have 1 additional win over the other 3 that technically puts them .50 games ahead, but just looking at the 12 loses all 4 teams have).

Sheesh. Seeding in the Western Conference almost doesn't even matter this year with how even the teams are shaping out to be.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1997 on: January 12, 2020, 03:21:01 AM »
AD interviewed Rondo after the Lakers win tonight. Good mindset by Rondo going into the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3g42H1UI4E
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: January 12, 2020, 09:05:55 AM »
Spectrum Sportsnet tweeted that video stating Davis is the “best reporter in town.” Suck it, Mike Trudell.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: January 12, 2020, 04:24:57 PM »
Ugh...Donovan picked a terrible day to be out with an illness. The Jazz just can't buy a bucket today.