Author Topic: SAFE WORDS 3: With Special Guest Host Sign Ups  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
SAFE WORDS 3: With Special Guest Host Sign Ups
« on: March 18, 2015, 03:16:06 AM »
Greetings one more time.

I am sorry to change again.  But after giving it much consideration, I realized I do not have the time to truly devote and give to hosting this game properly.  Khush is an amazing host because he is truly dedicated to making this game work...but I have concerns about my location and schedule will make it difficult to create a fun game.

So for now this game is cancelled.  I hope MopitUp or Khush can host and make a better game.  This means that we will probably have another amazing traditional game of safe words.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:59:54 PM by Spak-Spang »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: SAFE WORDS 3: With Special Guest Host Sign Ups
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 03:25:58 AM »
Special Word Abilities:

Sniper Attack:  Pick this word and the 3rd person after you is killed...at the end of the round.
Shield:  Immune to one attack or Bomb for the next round.
Decoy Kit:  The next round you can play as another person of your choice.  (Making them in effect choose 2 words that round.)
Copycat: Next round you can copy the word choice of another player.  This will not kill either player, but will make that player either A) Change their word.  or B) Take the last remaining word for the list at the end of the night.
Extra Bomb:  Next round will contain 2 bombs, but you know where one of them is.

If you have any ideas for powers let me know.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 05:33:21 AM »
Interesting new ideas. I'll join again.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 12:24:40 PM »
Interesting. Apprehensive because our new overlord Khush isn't hosting this, but it'll be cool to see what havoc he causes here. I'm joining btw

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 12:31:54 PM »
Why not, let's go.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 12:49:54 PM »
More PM spoilers!

Hi. Would you like me to host a game of Safe Words so that you are able to participate in the game yourself? Or do you have more fun hosting than you would playing?

Oh, it doesn't matter too much to me. I'm just trying to keep things on a schedule of Safe Words, Mafia, Safe Words, Mafia, Safe Words, etc, etc. I'd throw another sign-up thread for Safe Words 3 up next week as the mafia game should be winding down by then. Unless you really want to give it a shot. Then I can play along, I suppose.

I'm just treating this like mafia right now. Pyropizm, when he introduced the game, hosted the first three before other players wanted to start taking over and introducing their own ideas and versions. I think that probably helped make sure the basics were in place allowing the game to thrive without him hosting again. While not as complicated, I do believe this could be a successful forum game for a few years and just want to make sure the template is well established for it. If others want to host, I'd want it to be like mafia where they think they will have fun doing so or try out a rule variation to keep things interesting. Not just because they feel bad I haven't had a turn to play.  ;D

So, if it is something you really want to do, sure, give it a shot. If you're just doing it because you feel sorry I haven't played yet, I'm fine and do a get a share of fun in hosting and playing along with the contestants. It's quite easy compared to Mafia hosting. So, which is it for you?

Guess I should make a Safe Words Future Hosting thread so that people don't get jammed up that someone steals their spot to host like I am right now. ;)

I can't play and support this cheap Korean knock-off of my game. I need to preserve my property and sue to protect my intellectual property. I advise no one else to give this any legitimacy by participating either. Alright. I'll play and try this out but I'd have been happy playing a traditional version first then trying to radically change everything up so soon.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 01:28:44 PM »
I will just comment about and ask a few things about this. I don't think the daily time limit is going to speed things up like you think it will. Let's say you have 15 players again like last game. That's 14 days this game will take with a set deadline every day and only player eliminated each day. 2 weeks is about how long it takes a normal round to play out. I get the frustration of someone not showing up for a day or two to choose a word. Yet, by not having a deadline, a player can be eliminated pretty fast once a bomb word has been chosen and the game keeps moving instead of waiting for a deadline.

If two players die picking the same word and die, who gets to pick the next bomb word?

If the person who picks the sniper word is the last or second last player, does anyone die? If the sniper word does eliminate someone, is there still a bomb word or does it become a dud? What if two players both choose the sniper word at different times of the day and neither relinquish control of the word. Does that mean both players die along with the 3 poster from each of them resulting in 4 deaths or does the sniper ability become nullified?

I've been eliminated and I choose a bomb word as well as the Extra Bomb ability. Does that mean that the extra bomb occurs in that round after my death or does it occur in the round after that? If it occurs that round, does it mean the eliminated player then knows what the second bomb word is? If it occurs in the next round, let's say that again, two players end up fighting over the word and neither relinquishes it. Would there be an extra bomb in the next round or would it be a nullified power?

One reason I liked UncleBob's suggestion of the last player to select a word chooses the bomb word is that it eliminates a potential problem I worried over which is if dead players selecting bomb words contact living players to let them know what they choose to protect them and take out other players. By having a living player do it, I figured it might help keep things hidden. Even if players conspired to take someone out by all knowing what the bomb word is but one player, that player still has an opportunity to choose a safe word which could cause it all to backfire. Plus, there was the additional plus of the person who choose the bomb word posting a message as to what they chose. It could be true or a lie but just more mind game fun. It never happened but I was up for the possibility. By going back to dead players selecting words, what checks and balances of power do you have in place?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 06:17:42 PM »
I see well the last person can pick the words.  I am still working out the logistics about the abilities.  But Here are my thoughts, first each power will only be used once a game.  The eliminated player can pick which power is in play next round, but not which word.  To be totally fair, since it is a race to pick bomb words...it will have to be 100% random...using random.orgs word selector. 

Now for speed, yes the time limit alone, would not sped up the game, but the ability to race and pick the word you want, might cause incentive toplay faster, as will finding ability words, and threat of death.  Finally, this game will have more people eliminated each round from abilities.

And if the words to players become lopsided that is OK.  If nobody picks the bomb word that round...the word is used and another round starts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 08:46:34 PM »
I will play again once rules are hammered out and a start date sent. It could be fun, though I would advise smaller changes. Maybe pick one feature and implement it versus all of these features. There is a lot here to take in for a fledgling forum game.

How about we stick with the first three of Spak's points for this round? Everyone voting at once and accidental double's causing death sound like a great rule variation. The special words, while neat, sound a lot more complicated. I would also give everyone two days to make a choice versus one, or eliminate the time limit all together. Part of the appeal of the game is the more lax time frames, even though people still get uppity when someone ducks out.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 08:49:48 PM »
Stratos:

I am willing to drop the powerups this game...to test the idea of a faster game.  What say you fellow players?

Offline NuclearSpeed

• Cocaine is a hell of a drug
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 09:46:46 PM »
I'm in, can't do as bad as last time can I?

Online Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 09:52:08 PM »
Eh. You never know....

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 11:12:09 PM »
I can do without powerups
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 02:44:25 AM »
Changed the rules.

No power ups.  Explained how I would pick the bomb word.  PS.  It is by random.org selector.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 03:14:45 AM »
That's no fun, I enjoyed the "try to outthink the person who picked the word" aspect of it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 03:41:25 AM »
insanolord:  I did too...however, it would give one player a free pass. 

I am just trying a different type of game...see if it works.