Author Topic: Accessing the eshop in another country  (Read 7206 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Accessing the eshop in another country
« on: November 27, 2013, 09:39:29 PM »
I have a question.

If I were to buy an American WiiU or 3DS can I access the American eshop to buy games if I am in South Korea?

I would hope it acted like the apple store which allows you to access the online store associated with the address of your credit card on the account. 

However, if this is not the case, and there is not a free work around, then I could never buy a WiiU or 3DS. 

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Accessing the eshop in another country
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
Get a US 3DS, use a US proxy, hope your info stays safe.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 10:19:20 PM »
My Nintendo ID account is registered in Ireland. Of course, i've never been in Ireland and live very far away from it. I had to do that because my country is simply not available as an option.

Generally, you can change your countries inside your zone rather freely. I remember how i basically hopped across all European eShops trying to find the cheapest price for NSMB2 last year (eventually i stopped at Greece).

If I were to buy an American WiiU or 3DS can I access the American eshop to buy games if I am in South Korea?
As far as i understand, you can access any regional eShop freely from wherever you are. There are many people with japanese 3DS's around here who can attest to that.

There might be some problems with paying with credit card if address doesn't match though. I personally never had any problems with my local CC, but i know people who can't put money into their US accounts. They have to resort to point cards.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 10:49:51 PM »
This is good to know.  At least Nintendo has done this right. 

I think region locking isn't an issue as long as they allow you to access YOUR region wherever you are.  I am excited about that.

Now to decide if I want a Wii U.  I do...but I dunno if I can get one.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 12:02:52 PM »
For what it is worth, I have a Washington State billing address on my card (WA charges sales tax) but I used to live in Portland, Oregon (no sales tax) and I used a Portland zip code when registering on the 3DS eShop and now they do not charge me sales tax on eShop purchases. They don't do much checking on that it appears.

But on Amazon they do base tax on the billing address of the purchaser even if I am shipping to Oregon.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 03:29:10 PM »
That's clever, I'll have to try something like that with the Wii U eShop and see if I can get around the lame tax.