Author Topic: Namco vs. Capcom Rumors  (Read 5352 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Namco vs. Capcom Rumors
« on: July 20, 2010, 10:24:23 PM »
I am sure that many of us have already heard the rumors about a Namco vs. Capcom game...or rather the rumor states 2 games. 

Do you like the idea?  What would you like to see if it comes true?

Personally, at first I hated the idea...but then I thought more about it and the 2 game aspect really wants me to see these games.  I would love to see a Namco designed game, that basically have Tekken vs. Street Fighter in 3D but taking many of the Street Fighter special moves.  Instead, focus on Street Fighter style regular moves vs the Tekken style.  I think it would be cool.  Of course some odd characters like Dhalsim would have his strange stretching abilities. 

Then a Capcom developed Namco vs. Capcom using the Street Figher 4 engine...or even classic 2D animation would be fantastic.  Anyway, both games could bring classic characters into a brand new experience.  I see this game being more like SNK vs Capcom than Capcom vs Marvel series and it all sounds like a great idea. 

Finally, perhaps we can get the ultimate dream a 2D Capcom vs the World (Marvel, Namco, SNK, hell throw in DC and it would be perfect)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: Namco vs. Capcom Rumors
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:30:49 PM »
I would rather see them bring Namco x Capcom to the US.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:53:13 PM »
I've always thought that Tekken was an extremely boring game. I have no interest. I want to see Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat, with fatalities for both sides!
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 02:59:15 AM »
Give me something with the control and fluidity of soul calibur.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 10:29:12 AM »
As fun as it was, the fluidity of Soul Calibur always led to button mashers being a serious threat to more established players. I want combos!
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »
After all, nothing says "skills" like memorizing a string of button combinations.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »
As fun as it was, the fluidity of Soul Calibur always led to button mashers being a serious threat to more established players. I want combos!

I was never EVER defeated by anyone who just mashed buttons! Arcade or in the house! I dare someone just show to me mashing buttons. Experienced people who lose to button mashers in soul calibur deserve to lose. Not me, I never lost so I didn't deserve it.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 02:51:12 PM »
Ivy vs. Morrigan: Battle of the Giant Breasts

I like this idea. Namco has a fine roster of potential characters, and they can't keep milking the Marvel well.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 08:26:46 PM »
I have always been dead set against Tekken.  Though, I despise almost all 3D fighters, the Soul Caliber series is the only series I enjoy.  But mostly that is because the animation is usually bad, and the game is mostly based on special moves and such being rapid button pressing, and life bars disappear to fast...and lets not get into the horrible juggle system Tekken is known for. 

(Yes, I know all those things are in Soul Caliber, but for some reason it just works better in that game)

That being said, I know many people do love the Tekken series and view 3D fighters are the future of fighting games...they believe they are deeper than the 2D ones.  This is why I believe a game made in the style of a 2D fighter in the Street Fighter universe and a 3D fighter in the Namco universe is the best way to go.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 12:55:49 AM »
I've always thought that Tekken was an extremely boring game.
no
As fun as it was, the fluidity of Soul Calibur always led to button mashers being a serious threat to more established players.
NO
After all, nothing says "skills" like memorizing a string of button combinations.
NO
But mostly that is because the animation is usually bad, and the game is mostly based on special moves and such being rapid button pressing, and life bars disappear to fast...and lets not get into the horrible juggle system Tekken is known for.
NO!!!

WAGGHHHH SCRUBBSSSS

Seriouspostin, though: Also I was at EVO (edit: where I did fairly well in SSF4) and saw Ono make with the teasing. He's supposed to announce something tomorrow at Comicon. Keep an eye on his twitter: http://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin
also eventhubs.com makes pretty quick with the fight game news.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 12:57:37 AM by S-U-P-E-R »

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 04:59:14 PM »
It's true, Namco and Capcom are each making a Tekken vs Street Fighter game.

Trailer and press release: http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2010/07/24/announcing_street_fighter_x_tekken
Gameplay: http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30596?cmpid=0101

It looks like SF4 with assists and Tekken characters!

So who will make the better game, Capcom or Namco? There's a real rival battle :cool;
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 05:11:19 PM by S-U-P-E-R »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 02:36:45 AM »
Capcom.

Honestly, I hate Tekken. It's hard to get even a basic grip on because there's way too many moves and little logical link between attack type and input. With something like SF you have your basic set of moves and combine them, with Tekken you have to remember which button goes next in the pre-defined combo chains instead of remembering the moves. I'd rather see a game using the full character catalog of both companies (but overall I'd prefer Konami's roster over Namco's).

Offline ControlerFleX

• Best new poster
  • Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »
Both Street Fighter "X"(Cross) Tekken and Tekken "X" Street Fighter sounds COOL AS HELL!

Tekken charters with SF input moves and SF charters with button taps. Capcom has done it's best to give us commercially what MUGEN does for the underground.

But my only "worry" of these two games is what will be the retail marketing strategy? How much will each game cost and will we be able to purchase a bundle for a discounted price? How close to MVC3 will this be released?

With those three titles and the addition of Mortal Kombat, Blaze Blue2, SSF4 3D and who ever may be cooking up something for DC, are we headed for fighting game over saturation?
....he asked me if the glass was half full or half empty. "Neither." I replied. "I see a glass that is two times bigger than it needs to be....

Forever debited to you my friend...

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
They should do Nintendo vs Capcom, with the Capcom version being in the style of Street Fighter and the Nintendo version in the style of Smash Brothers.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 07:03:17 PM »
Both Street Fighter "X"(Cross) Tekken and Tekken "X" Street Fighter sounds COOL AS HELL!

Tekken charters with SF input moves and SF charters with button taps. Capcom has done it's best to give us commercially what MUGEN does for the underground.

But my only "worry" of these two games is what will be the retail marketing strategy? How much will each game cost and will we be able to purchase a bundle for a discounted price? How close to MVC3 will this be released?

With those three titles and the addition of Mortal Kombat, Blaze Blue2, SSF4 3D and who ever may be cooking up something for DC, are we headed for fighting game over saturation?

I think it will be like the Capcom/SNK games where Capcom released theirs first and then SNK released theirs the next year.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 02:45:50 PM »

Is this really the difference between these two games?  This is honestly the first time I've finally understood, and I've skimmed articles on the games several times over the past week.  Granted, I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention because I'm not interested in either game, but still ... !!

Marketing's going to have a challenge trying to let customers know why there are two versions of what look to be the same game.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »
Nobody's going to have a problem discerning the games, because nobody thinks Street Fighter and Tekken play the same.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 05:25:39 PM »
I walk into a store and see two games sitting next to each other (or maybe not even that because more big box stores alphabetize games):  Street Fighter X Tekken and Tekken X Street Fighter.  How am I supposed to know how each one plays (or that they even play differently in the first place)?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 05:31:19 PM »
That's why I don't think Namco Bandai and Capcom are stupid enough to release their games around the same time. I think they realize that a casual buyer might not know the difference (and a parent/grandparent might remember their kids/grandkids asking for "Street Fighter X Tekken", see "Tekken X Street Fighter" and think it's the same game).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 04:11:09 AM »
I don't understand.  Are they both 2.5D games just controlled differently.  Or is one a 3D fighter like Tekken and the other like 2.5D Street Fighter?

I know they will get renamed for marketing just wait.  But, I hope there is more to it than just how you control the game.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 12:03:06 PM »
But, I hope there is more to it than just how you control the game.

What do you mean "more to it"? That in and of itself turns them into completely different games with literally nothing in common except character appearance.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »
I don't want 2 games that are just 2.5D fighters with Tekken controls and Street Fighter Controls.  That would be silly.  Just make the Tekken characters control with 4 buttons and the Street Fighter control with 6. 

There is no need to just change the control themes.

I am hoping for a 3D Tekken style with Street Fighter Characters being adapted to fit the actual Tekken fighting style.  Adapt the special moves to be less about fireballs and such.  Then at the same time have a Street Fighter themed game were the Tekken characters fit better in that universe...and if that means emphasizing the more silly or "special" moves from Tekken do that...and add some stuff like fireballs, because it would be cool.

Then you have literally two games to fit two distinctly different fighting game styles.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2010, 11:12:45 PM »
From what I've read about these 2 games is that Tekken X Street Fighter will be played in a 3D arena, and Street Fighter X Tekken will be played just like Street Fighter 4.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
I am hoping for a 3D Tekken style with Street Fighter Characters being adapted to fit the actual Tekken fighting style.  Adapt the special moves to be less about fireballs and such.

That's what it's going to be. I thought that's what you meant. But you know they're not going to get rid of the fireballs and stuff, that's what makes the Street Fighter characters Street Fighter.
-Travis Touchdown