Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572691 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #800 on: July 04, 2011, 12:04:51 PM »
It depends on what the limitation is. If it's a wireless bandwidth issue, that could probably be solved fairly inexpensively. If it's a processing concern, it would be tougher to deal with.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 04, 2011, 12:08:02 PM »
If Bethesa does bring all those games, that would be nice, i really would like to play Skyrim on Wii U, since Elders Scrolls games depends heavily on inventory management, and the wii u tablet fits perfectly for that.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 04, 2011, 12:14:55 PM »
i dont get people bitching about not having multiple tabs because....NOBODY EVER HAD THAT BEFORE. Nothing would change in your life if you didn't.
If they had offered the option and then took it away, or if a competitor had this option then there would be a reason to be upset.

Well we actually kind of have had this before.  Connectivity on the Gamecube was largely a variation of this same thing.  Nintendo completely killed off any widespread adoption of that feature by tying it in with multiplayer games.  The second the slightest hint came up about the Wii successor having a screen on the controller we all thought about Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords.  That was what Nintendo had used screen in the controller for in the past and the general assumption was that this would be an evolution of that idea.  Instead Nintendo couldn't even remake those Gamecube games for the Wii U.  They spent years hitting us over the head with multiplayer-focused connectivity.  Now they have a system that can actually make that concept work with a widespread audience and it doesn't even support multiplayer for the screen controllers?  That was the ONLY idea Nintendo ever had for this "screen in a controller" idea and this can't even do it?!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 04, 2011, 12:29:06 PM »
It depends on what the limitation is. If it's a wireless bandwidth issue, that could probably be solved fairly inexpensively. If it's a processing concern, it would be tougher to deal with.
I'm pretty sure it's not a processing or bandwidth concern if the rumored GPU is the one we think it is. AMD has eyefinity and that support upto 6 monitors, so that's not the problem.

I think it has more to do more with the streaming tech (I explained my thoughts somewhere on here before) since the similar techs coming to market are all designed to stream the same image to multiple devices.
Wii U needs to stream multiple images simultaneously to several different devices if the idea is to work, so it may be the need for a transmitter for every receiver and those transmitters might be the expensive part.

I can draw a pic a post it to explain it more visually once I get my printer working again. (been moving for the last week)

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 04, 2011, 12:32:33 PM »
If Bethesa does bring all those games, that would be nice, i really would like to play Skyrim on Wii U, since Elders Scrolls games depends heavily on inventory management, and the wii u tablet fits perfectly for that.

Assuming the inventory system doesn't have the same lackluster presentation that it was in Oblivion and Fallout 3. Of course, Skyrim and Rage will both suffer as console titles. No mods? No thanks.

Prey 2 doesn't look anything like Prey, which is sad since it left off on sort of a cliffhanger. :(
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 04, 2011, 02:49:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's not a processing or bandwidth concern if the rumored GPU is the one we think it is. AMD has eyefinity and that support upto 6 monitors, so that's not the problem.

I think it has more to do more with the streaming tech (I explained my thoughts somewhere on here before) since the similar techs coming to market are all designed to stream the same image to multiple devices.
Wii U needs to stream multiple images simultaneously to several different devices if the idea is to work, so it may be the need for a transmitter for every receiver and those transmitters might be the expensive part.

I can draw a pic a post it to explain it more visually once I get my printer working again. (been moving for the last week)

I have to ask, though, what is the point in releasing a device predicated on an unusual multiplayer emphasis if it can't stream 2 different images at once?  You're handicapping your game design ideas before you even start, making Nintendo once again the company that demands other companies to make compromises for its games.  If there's a price issue in here with upping the tech specs to allow this feature, Nintendo needs to just suck it up and deal with it.  Otherwise, I think 3rd parties are just going to look at the Wii U and say "yeah, this will just be the version that won't have local multiplayer, because it just isn't worth our time and resources to develop an asymmetrical multiplayer mode just for this SKU".
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 04, 2011, 03:01:02 PM »
Well, on the bright side at least Nintendo is supposedly putting a lot of effort into online infrastructure for the system, so even if there isn't local multiplayer at least there's that...
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 04, 2011, 10:14:44 PM »
one point is Nintendo has announced what is possibly the best designed console ever, it has all the works except it MIGHT not have one thing people are complaining about, and this thing that it MIGHT not have immediately might show up later, or if it doesn't it most likely will show up in a slightly different form. You have more options and capability than ever before, but that's not good enough?

and also..its not handicapping the experience its offering a more normal experience as opposed to a supernormal experience.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 05, 2011, 09:29:55 AM »
one point is Nintendo has announced what is possibly the best designed console ever, it has all the works except it MIGHT not have one thing people are complaining about, and this thing that it MIGHT not have immediately might show up later, or if it doesn't it most likely will show up in a slightly different form. You have more options and capability than ever before, but that's not good enough?

Hmm, isn't that what people always do though -- focus relentlessly on the negatives (even if they're small compared to the positives) and jibber-jabber endlessly about them, ignoring all else?

My universal theory of human behavior: "People love to whine."
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 09:37:12 AM by mac<censored> »

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 05, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »

Assuming the inventory system doesn't have the same lackluster presentation that it was in Oblivion and Fallout 3. Of course, Skyrim and Rage will both suffer as console titles. No mods? No thanks.

Prey 2 doesn't look anything like Prey, which is sad since it left off on sort of a cliffhanger. :(

Inventory management in fallout 3 wasnt that bad, its was a little messy i admit, but once you get it it does work, the map system is another story.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #810 on: July 05, 2011, 10:26:25 AM »
I don't like scrolling down through endless lists with huge font. I want a visual inventory manager, like in Diablo... like in Morrowind. The only reason Oblivion and Fallout had lists was because of their apparently contagious consolitis. Morrowind's solution wasn't perfect, but it was much better. Actually, Morrowind is still the best game to ever come out of Bethesda proper. We'll see if Skyrim can drag the Elder Scrolls back out of the slump that was Oblivion. :\

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: July 05, 2011, 12:36:46 PM »
I don't like scrolling down through endless lists with huge font. I want a visual inventory manager, like in Diablo... like in Morrowind. The only reason Oblivion and Fallout had lists was because of their apparently contagious consolitis. Morrowind's solution wasn't perfect, but it was much better. Actually, Morrowind is still the best game to ever come out of Bethesda proper. We'll see if Skyrim can drag the Elder Scrolls back out of the slump that was Oblivion. :\

I feel you, i tried to play Oblivion but it didnt quite click, specially with the horrible leveling system and the shallow animations, lets hope Skyrim fixes that.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: July 05, 2011, 12:43:26 PM »
Personally, I'd rather not have to manage Inventory all together.  It just adds a layer of tedium and busywork to my RPG adventure as I spend hours comparing equipment for my party that tends to have minimal stat increases.  That was really my big problem with the first Mass Effect game (that and the combat being really terrible), and something I really appreciated when Bioware retooled everything for Mass Effect 2.  Fallout 3's inventory system was a bit of a mess of stacked menus, but at least it was reasonably quick to get to the information you needed.  For all its problems, I thought Dragon Age 2 struck the right balance on Inventory Management, since your teammates' equipment was partially automated and all the items that existed just to be sold were thrown into a category labeled as such.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 12:45:46 PM by broodwars »

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: July 05, 2011, 01:25:12 PM »
You don't like RPGs then. Mass Effect 2 was an action game with some dialogue options.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: July 05, 2011, 01:26:51 PM »
You don't like RPGs then. Mass Effect 2 was an action game with some dialogue options.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten the Creed of the PC Gamer: it's not a "real" RPG unless you've thoroughly drained every last ounce of fun out of the experience and have replaced it with the thrill of doing your taxes.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:29:11 PM by broodwars »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: July 05, 2011, 01:33:51 PM »

Ah yes, I'd forgotten the Creed of the PC Gamer: it's not a "real" RPG unless you've thoroughly drained every last ounce of fun out of the experience and have replaced it with the thrill of doing your taxes.
Darn right.  If their is not some sort of Math, Gear Grind, bag space limitation, and lots of developer fiddling then can it really be an RPG? ;)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: July 05, 2011, 02:06:17 PM »
One thing I hated about Oblivion were those Oblivion gates. There were like 50 of them, right? But they were all pretty much the same but with just slightly different layouts in each. I closed like 5 or 6 or them, but then when I realized that was still only about 1/10th of the amount I needed to close I just gave up and never finished the game. Its not that its hard to close them, but its just really really boring and time consuming.

Hopefully Skyrim won't be like that.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: July 05, 2011, 02:33:05 PM »
I bought Oblivion hearing it was good and was on sale for dirt cheap.  I never made it pass the beginning...
I bought Dragon Age Hearing it was good and it wasn't on sell for dirt cheap.  I never made it pass the beginning...

At that point I officially decided I found that style of RPG Frustrating and boring.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 05, 2011, 02:36:39 PM »
I bought Oblivion hearing it was good and was on sale for dirt cheap.  I never made it pass the beginning...

You mean the Tutorial part where Emperor Jean Luc Picard sets you free and you have to escape under the catacombs?
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: July 05, 2011, 02:41:05 PM »

You mean the Tutorial part where Emperor Jean Luc Picard sets you free and you have to escape under the catacombs?
Yes.  It was. I'm out, look around, decide I hate these controls, and never went back.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 02:45:35 PM by Ceric »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #820 on: July 05, 2011, 03:04:25 PM »

Yes.  It was. I'm out, look around, decide I hate these controls, and never went back.

That was pretty much my experience with the first Dragon Age as well: I played through the opening tutorial in the Mage Origin, and then quit and never went back.  In my case, though, it was less an issue with controls and more that the game was incredibly boring, especially in combat.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:06:15 PM by broodwars »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 05, 2011, 03:13:49 PM »

That was pretty much my experience with the first Dragon Age as well: I played through the opening tutorial in the Mage Origin, and then quit and never went back.  In my case, though, it was less an issue with controls and more that the game was incredibly boring, especially in combat.
It was being bored as well.  Getting to quest NPCs and like got me as well.  Other games do it so much better like WoW and Rift.

I won't to try the Mass Effect series one day but, I'm worried it will end up being like those games.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: July 05, 2011, 03:19:49 PM »
It was being bored as well.  Getting to quest NPCs and like got me as well.  Other games do it so much better like WoW and Rift.

I won't to try the Mass Effect series one day but, I'm worried it will end up being like those games.

The first Mass Effect isn't a bad game (the story is certainly enjoyable), but it is a very tedious game to get through if you're going to do all the sidequests.  There's a lot of copy & paste design with the various planets and lairs.  Inventory Management in the first Mass Effect is a major headache as well, and don't get me started on the MACO tank.  If you can get through that, though, the storytelling is certainly worth it.  The second Mass Effect is a dramatically better game.  The combat's much better, Inventory Management is almost nonexistent, your party is more interesting, etc.  Mass Effect 2 is just more fun overall, especially if you import your Mass Effect 1 character so all your choices carry over.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: July 05, 2011, 03:27:19 PM »
To be fair, these games were designed to be played with a keyboard and mouse. You have to keep in mind they were shoehorned to be able to work with a console controller but that doesn't really work so great. Your best bet with these kinds of games is to play them on the PC which they were intended for.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: July 05, 2011, 03:31:18 PM »

The first Mass Effect isn't a bad game (the story is certainly enjoyable), but it is a very tedious game to get through if you're going to do all the sidequests.  There's a lot of copy & paste design with the various planets and lairs.  Inventory Management in the first Mass Effect is a major headache as well, and don't get me started on the MACO tank.  If you can get through that, though, the storytelling is certainly worth it.  The second Mass Effect is a dramatically better game.  The combat's much better, Inventory Management is almost nonexistent, your party is more interesting, etc.  Mass Effect 2 is just more fun overall, especially if you import your Mass Effect 1 character so all your choices carry over.
$34.99 for  Mass Effect 1 and 2 on PC are the controls such that playing that way be good?