Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1550889 times)

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2375 on: June 23, 2011, 02:52:54 AM »
A while back after finishing L.A. Noire, I picked up a bunch of similarly-styled movies to watch (Dick Tracy and The Shadow being 2 of them), and I've finally gotten around to watching L.A. Confidential.  This is the game that "heavily inspired" L.A. Noire, and by that I mean that L.A. Noire rips it off almost completely (in some places hilariously so).  That said, although this is a well-renowned movie, I can't say it entirely appealed to me.  I thought it had strong 1st and 3rd Acts, but that middle Act was kind of weak and nebulous.  The movie juggles too many plot threads that end up being intertwined down the road, so I found it a bit difficult to follow the story in places.  Still, the acting's very solid, the production values are good, the characterization is strong, and the few action sequences are very well staged.  It's a good movie, but I hesitate to call it a great movie.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: June 23, 2011, 09:56:06 AM »
I saw the Green Lantern Sunday.  Its not ground breaking movie but it is well down and moves pretty fast.  I enjoyed it.  Their is a sort of companion cartoon that goes with it you can get pretty cheap.  If you are a fan of Green Lantern you might actually like that more then the movie because it is a series of short stories about the Corp.  As I said the movie is good and if you are thinking of bringing your child to it their is nothing really that bad in their if they are not scared of the dark and over the whole boogie man thing.  The main villain is a shadow type monster and a deformed human.  Now that Cartoon I was talking about has Lanterns being dismembered.

You get the not so secret secret about halfway through the credit and the whole thing ends with a spiel to got by the comic collections.  During the credits they have some pretty fantastic space views in the background so I enjoyed watching those.  I do think Hal could have been written a little tougher and the ring being used more creatively by Non-Earth Lanterns but the last is a common complaint I have with Green Lantern.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: June 23, 2011, 06:22:34 PM »
I finished watching the 1994 version of The Shadow, and...wow, what a goofy movie.  The original 1930s radio Shadow that I grew up with (via recordings) was voiced by the legendary Orson Welles.  Does Alec Baldwin match up with his performance?  Ha ha...no.  No. No. No, he doesn't, but he's definitely one of the better actors in the movie, despite being extremely corny and almost self-parody.  Of course, I thought I'd seen some really cheesy acting when the Godfather of Cheesy Acting himself walked on stage: Tim Curry, and he's just as hammy as ever.  The special effects (outside of a neat smoke effect they use when The Shadow punches someone while invisible) look extremely fake, the plot is incredibly dumb and full of plot holes...and yet, I can't call this a bad movie.  It's silly and campy, but it's certainly watcheable and Alec Baldwin does have The Shadow's patented maniacal laughter down cold.  I hear that they're trying to put out a remake of this in the near future, and I look forward to seeing a much better take on the franchise.

Of course, as silly as this movie is, I'm sure that's nothing compared to my next one: Dick Tracy.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: June 23, 2011, 06:35:24 PM »
The Shadow and Dick Tracy are kissing cousins.  I enjoyed both of them and I saw them in theatre so I was 12 for that one. Honestly then watch Who Framed Roger Rabbit and the Grey Ghost episode of Batman the Animated Series.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: June 23, 2011, 08:40:26 PM »
speaking of movies in that vain, go watch China Town.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: June 24, 2011, 01:39:34 AM »
Just finished watching Dick Tracy, and it's interesting how it contrasts with The Shadow.  Whereas The Shadow took place in a comparatively dark and gritty world where the characters spent most of the movie over-acting, Dick Tracy takes place in a technicolor world inhabited by whimsical characters that play the movie (outside of the main villain) surprisingly straight.  The special effects look equally as fake as those in The Shadow (I loved the metal lamp post that bent like it was made of rubber), but seemingly deliberately so.  The Shadow degenerated towards the end to a silly battle between psychic superpowers battling to see who could chew the most scenery.  In many ways, Dick Tracy comes off to me as a much more successful pulp detective story with some underplayed yet surprisingly dark moments, despite being much more visually fanciful.  It reminds me in many ways of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, though that executed its concepts much better.

So yeah, Dick Tracy's a pretty fun little movie with a very striking and consistent visual design, some memorable characters, and some solid acting (especially from the intentionally hammy, but not so much that he becomes annoying, Big Boy).  The movie can feel a bit lost at times with how much camera time is spent on the filler musical numbers, but overall the film seems to know what it wants to be and sticks to it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:42:30 AM by broodwars »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: June 24, 2011, 09:14:06 AM »
Dick Tracy did get almost twice the Budget of The Shadow.  I wanted to see who made all of those but I can't find it in the profiles in IMDB.  Dick Tracy should remind you of Who Framed Roger Rabbit because that is what that movie takes a lot of inspiration from.  I thought of another movie that should be in this list but now it slipped my mind.  Oh Rocketeer for some reason.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: June 25, 2011, 04:02:10 PM »
Just finished watching Cars 2.  If you like Action Spy movies you'll like this movie.  It is adult.  They kill a car in the first 5 minutes.  I enjoyed it but it will definitely not appeal to little kids like Cars did.  I think they will enjoy parts of this movie but, if your little one likes to watch Cars on almost a loop this will probably not make it into the rotation but, you'll probably enjoy even if just as a piece of art.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: June 25, 2011, 04:27:36 PM »
Cars 2 is the first Pixar movie to get rated Rotten. (44% I think)
I think it is the first Pixar movie to have below an 85% (I think almost all of them are above 90%).

I was not a fan of the first Cars and I think it was the worst of all the Pixar movies so far, so I'm not surprised to see a majority of people that reviewed it review it lower than the original.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: June 25, 2011, 04:45:38 PM »
Cars 2 is the first Pixar movie to get rated Rotten. (44% I think)
I think it is the first Pixar movie to have below an 85% (I think almost all of them are above 90%).

I was not a fan of the first Cars and I think it was the worst of all the Pixar movies so far, so I'm not surprised to see a majority of people that reviewed it review it lower than the original.
Than you may like this one.

That's the problem.  Its like Zelda 2 on its own without the brand name it would probably be considered a better game.  As a said its not a bad movie.  I enjoyed it  but, its not Cars.  It be like playing a Mario game but, instead of getting your family friendly Mario you got modern GTA even though its just as polished as the best Mario games and plays by the Rules of the Mario universe.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: June 25, 2011, 04:56:38 PM »
While I thought Cars was the worst Pixar movie, it was still a great movie. That's a testament to how good Pixar is. I'm a little disappointed to here the Rotten Tomatoes score. I guess, like always, I'll watch it and make my own decision cuz there are some 90% movies that I can't stand.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: June 25, 2011, 05:04:48 PM »
The first Cars surprised me in that I expected it to be abysmal (I loathe NASCAR and don't care for the audience this franchise targets), and it was only completely average.  Seeing the previews for the new Cars, I have absolutely no interest in that movie.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: June 25, 2011, 06:51:28 PM »
I'm curious to hear the opinion of someone who went in expecting a more adult movie that is different then Cars.

Offline jamesfriedman

• View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: June 25, 2011, 09:57:18 PM »
I would rate the new Cars 2 movie an 8 /10. It was good but not great. It didn't quite meet my expectations.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: June 28, 2011, 02:24:48 AM »
Green Lantern, I liked the movie, but I thought it was pretty lopsided, A slow buildup and a too quick climax. The special effects looked much better in 3d then it did in the trailers. Its one of those movies that had mostly soft 3d, but at the same time benefited from the 3d because there was added depth to the colors. The greens and purples looked rather blah in the trailers, but looked very very nice in the movie. If i were to sum this up. It was Superman 1. Lots of backstory and buildup, very quick ending. I guess this is the blunder a lot of origin movies have. Even though this has been rated a commercial flop, im still hoping they go along with the sequel because it could be the Superman 2 to Superman 1.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #2390 on: June 28, 2011, 03:46:04 PM »
Except the flying was more convincing in Superman than in Green Lantern. In some cases it was like they pasted Ryan's head on a CG body, and then couldn't fly him straight through a window. I was so disappointed with the movie. They fucked up Parallax, fucked up Hal Jordan, fucked up Sinestro, fucked up Kilowog. They didn't even get the Guardians right. And I'm not talking looks. Its the 'I want to appeal to kids, but I have to worry a little bit about the fans' version of a film. Like TF1, only at least Transformers has big robots fighting to bring in the money.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: June 28, 2011, 04:02:38 PM »
I thought Sinestro was sort of close.  I mean you have to remember he didn't become the super-jerk he is until he sheds pretense totally and becomes a Yellow Lantern.  He's still just a jerk at this point.  Also the flying with any of the Ring Bearers has always looked goofy.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: June 28, 2011, 04:23:25 PM »
Like TF1, only at least Transformers has big robots fighting to bring in the money.

Transformers is a stupid series, with cringe-inducing acting, and ludicrous plots apparently written by an 8-year-old suffering from terminal ritalin withdrawal, directed by one of the biggest douchebags in the industry.

... but I see 'em all, in the biggest theater I can, because the damn robot SFX are so insanely jaw-dropping.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:25:14 PM by mac<censored> »

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: June 28, 2011, 07:34:44 PM »
I was considering watching Limitless, but after reading the book and then hearing how much they changed it in the film adaptation, I'm not so sure anymore.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: June 28, 2011, 07:57:13 PM »
Transformers 3. I don't care what you are doing, go and see it right now/10.

All I can say is that as far as I am concerned, this movie is Gods gift to mankind. 

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: June 28, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »
idk it just seems that with super hero movies, that if they dont get it perfect then the fans will trash it as absolute ****. I would put this in the B Super hero movie category..which like i said is where most origin stories go. Its not perfect, its decent. Its flawed, but not absolute crap. It probably also helps that im not a big Green Lantern fan to begin with. I had an action figure when I was 4, and John Stewart was on the Justice League show. There were 2 scenes that could have been cut out, and they were the ones where the cg was bad, and they were both the scenes with Hal's Friend. One of them i just took a glimpse of and knew it would be a pointless scene, basically Hal info dumping on his friends. So, I went to the bathroom to take a piss, the other one is in the trailer and is the part that seems to appeal to kids and the cg looks really shitty there. Other than that I was pleased that It looked much better than I had expected based on the trailer. There was another scene, the fight with killowog, that just looked like green screen bullshit and the movie almost lost me there, but it moved on pretty quickly from there.  I make the comparison to Superman because in the first superman movie it has a lot of back story and origins and bullshit like that, but no real villains. Lois Lane dies and superman runs real fast and stops it, end of movie. A very lopsided story structure. Also, I really loved Tomar-re.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: June 28, 2011, 09:49:33 PM »

All I can say is that as far as I am concerned, this movie is Gods gift to mankind. 

Your opinion is tainted since you love Transformers 2; the movie that God forsook.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: June 28, 2011, 10:06:20 PM »

Best joke I've heard all day! XD
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: June 28, 2011, 11:46:23 PM »
Like TF1, only at least Transformers has big robots fighting to bring in the money.

Transformers is a stupid series, with cringe-inducing acting, and ludicrous plots apparently written by an 8-year-old suffering from terminal ritalin withdrawal, directed by one of the biggest douchebags in the industry.

... but I see 'em all, in the biggest theater I can, because the damn robot SFX are so insanely jaw-dropping.

Hey, I'll deride and mock Transformers 2 for being an utter P.O.S., but I did really enjoy the first Transformers movie despite not really liking the original Transformers cartoon (I'm a Beast Wars guy).  Maybe it was just something about the musical score and the battle sequences, but I thought the first movie really captured the epic feel a Transformers movie should have.  And then Bay went off the deep end with the second Transformers movie, and I'm highly skeptical that he truly learned his lesson for the 3rd movie.  But yeah, I'll probably end up seeing it anyway.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: June 29, 2011, 03:01:40 AM »

Your opinion is tainted since you love Transformers 2; the movie that God forsook.

Quite true.  But go see it anyway.