Author Topic: Backlaugust 2020 - Primed and Ready to clear some backlogs.  (Read 37369 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Backlaugust 2020 - Primed and Ready to clear some backlogs.
« on: August 01, 2020, 02:22:13 AM »
Backlaugust: The Official Negative World Nintendo World Report Month for Decimating Backlogs!â„¢ is back again for more action! So start looking through your backlog and get started!

Here are the "rules":

Games can be on any system, not just Nintendo systems. I know we're a Nintendo fan site, but most everyone here is a multi-console owner. So play a game on any system you want.

Let us know what you're playing. Mostly just so we can cheer each other on.

Play games you already own. A lot of people tend to buy a game then not play it, or play it for a significant amount of time and then put it down. This is what we're aiming for. Games that launch in August don't count.

Try to pick up games you aren't actively playing right now. Games you're currently playing can be allowed, but in the spirit of Backlaugust, let's try to make them games you aren't playing at the moment. Make it a game you haven't touched in a month or more if possible.

When is a game done? That's up to you! Mark a game off your backlog when you've seen the ending or end credits, or once you've seen enough of the game in a game without a "proper ending" (like an arcade-type game). You don't have to do or get everything unless you want to.

Finished games will be posted in the OP. Because everyone likes to see their accomplishments recognized. Just post when you're done and I'll try to update daily.

It appears that some loser named Pokepal148 has stolen my totally 100% original idea and run some kind of knock off version of Backlaugust on Negative World. (you have to have an account there to view the Negative World Thread unfortunately.) Let's try to complete more games than those folks in Negative World. This also means that myself, Mop it Up and Guillaume on the NWR staff will be unable to contribute to either side since we are active in both communities. Instead, anything we complete will be counted as a bonus for the totals on both sides.

NEGATIVE WORLD IN PROGRESS LIST:

Nate38

- Hades
- Pyre
- Baba is You
- Clubhouse Games 51
- Ethereal
- Quadrilateral Cowboy

Zero

- Hollow Knight
- Death Stranding
- Boot Hill Bounties.

PogueSquadron

- Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
- Shovel Knight: King of Cards

NINTENDO WORLD REPORT IN PROGRESS LIST:

Lemonade:

- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

TOPHATANT123

- Earthbound
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Rabicle

- Little Red Lie
- Ring Fit Adventure
- World of Tennis 1920
- Rayman Legends
- Disco Elysium
- Where the Goats are
- Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Terranigma
- Ever Oasis

Mop and Pokepal's Super awesome bonus point squad in progress list:

Pokepal148

- Super Metroid
- Metroid Fusion
- Metroid: Samus Returns

THE NINTENDO WORLD REPORT FINISHED PILE:

Rabicle - Dragon Quest Builders 2 - 8/2
Rabicle - Where the Goats Are - 8/4
Tophatant123 - Metroid Prime 3 8/5
Rabicle - Rayman Legends 8/5
Rabicle - Ever Oasis 8/10
Rabicle - BoxBoxBoy 8/11
Rabicle - Boxboy + Boxgirl 8/11
Rabicle - Chase: Cold Case Investigations ~Distant Memories~ 8/17
Rabicle - Starship Damrey 8/18
Rabicle - Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Scrub Run) 8/19
Rabicle - Pushmo 8/21
Rabicle - Super Metroid 8/22
Khushrenada - Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition 8/9
Khushrenada - Yoshi's New Island 8/11
Khushrenada - Kirby's Star Stacker
Tophatant123 - Earthbound 8/20
NWR_Lindy - Mega Man X 8/22
Rabicle - Edge 8/23
Luigidude - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest 8/22
Luigidude - Castlevania: The Adventure 8/22
Luigidude - Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge 8/22
Khushrenada - Adventure Island 8/23
Rabicle - Retro City Rampage DX 8/23
Khushrenada - Super Paper Mario 8/24
Khushrenada - Pushmo World 8/25
Morningshark - Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga 8/26
Morningshark - Super Mario RPG 8/26
Steefosaurus - Super Mario Bros. 8/26
Nickmitch - Luigi's Mansion 2 8/28
Rabicle - The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa 8/29
Rabicle - Bury Me, My Love 8/29
Khushrenada - Kirby's Dream Land 2 8/30
Khushrenada - Kirby's Dream Land 3 8/30
Lemonade - Breath of the Wild 8/30
Khushrenada - Toki Tori 3D 8/30
Khushrenada - Balloon Kid 8/30
Rabicle -  Little Red Lie 8/30
Khushrenada - Kirby's Pinball Land 8/31
Khushrenada - Ducktales Remastered 8/31
Luigidude - Paper Mario: Color Splash 8/31

THE NEGATIVE WORLD FINISHED PILE:

Zero - Metroid Prime 3 8/5
Nate38 - Pyre 8/8
Brick - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered 8/8
Ludist210 - Boxboy + Boxgirl 8/13
Pogue Squadron - Shovel Knight: King of Cards 8/16
Ludist210 - Yoshi's Crafted World 8/18
Ludist210 - Anima: Gate of Memories 8/18
Nate38 - Micro Mages 8/19
TriforceBun - Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair 8/20
Ludist210 - Broken Age 8/24
Ludist210 - Wide Ocean Big Jacket 8/24
Nate38 - Quadrilateral Cowboy 8/25
Ludist210 - Gris 8/27
Cryojin - The House of the Dead Overkill 8/29
Cryojin - Red Steel 2 8/29
Cryojin - Conduit 2 8/29
Cryojin - The Huntdown 8/29
Cryojin - Muramasa: The Demon Blade 8/29
Cryojin - Yoshi's Wooly World 8/29
Cryojin - Kirby and the Rainbow Curse 8/29
Cryojin - Bayonetta 8/29
J.K. Riki - 20XX 8/29
TheBigG753 - Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den (360) 8/29
Cryojin - Bayonetta 2 8/30
Brick - Vanquish 8/31
ludist210 - Valley 8/31
ludist210 - Trine 2: Complete Edition 8/31

The Mop and Pokepal super awesome bonus squad finished pile:

Pokepal148 - Super Mario Land 1: Wario Land - 8/6
Pokepal148 - Metroid: Zero Mission 8/13
Pokepal148 - Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition 8/20
Pokepal148 - Super Metroid 8/27
Pokepal148 - Metroid Fusion 8/28

Totals (including bonuses)

Nintendo World Report: 44
Negative World: 32
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:27:01 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
I picked up Rune Factory 4 again for this and I'm trying to get my bearings. I know kind of what to do for the main quest but I need to relearn the farming and crafting systems for the game.

Ever Oasis is another one I want to knock off. It's a really fun game and I believe I'm very close to the final boss.

As far as RPGs go I'm going to go with Persona 3 Portable. I wanna say I'm in October for that game so I still have a few more ingame months to go.

And Saints Row 3 is another one I wanna get through. It's a really fun game and I need to finish it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:31:09 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
I wanna play! I’ll play. **** what’s even on my backloggery? I need to update that too! I’m unemployed and the pandemic should hit my town eventually so it seems like a good time for back logging.

Ok time to get organised and also, ambitious. I'll list my plugged in consoles and what I can return to playing to put them to bed.

Switch
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2 - I'm most of the way through but it's a long game. I'll focus on progressing the trash storyline so I can reach the credits and unlock everything for the creative modes. Done, Sunday the second
  • World of Tennis 1920 - As a slow burn F2P game, I'm 60% of the way through the game's league structure. I should be able to knock this one over across 15 play sessions. Retired. This F2P game doesn't seem to ever really end and I had underestimated the number of playsessions I thought I would require.
  • Rayman Legends - I'm 2/3rds of the way through but it's getting pretty tricky. Done, Wednesday the 5th
  • Ring Fit Adventure - TIME TO GET FIT AND STRONG! Much likeWorld of Tennis this will require a kind fo regular schedule to get through.
  • Boxboy + Boxgirl - The tale of true love and it turns out my save file is close to the end! Done, Tuesday the 11th
  • The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa - I suspect I'll have to start this one again, more torelearn the map than the story.Done. before 1am on the 30th of August
  • Detention - I had been saving this game for a night alone with the partner gone. Those have been rare during the coronatimes but she jsut messaged to say she'll be overnight at the clinic tonight so I guess I'll be rugged up with the dog playing a scary game!
  • Bury Me, My Love - Another one I quickly identified as easy to pusht hrough to the credits of. Will Nour ever safely make it to the Schengen Zone? Probably not in this run. Done. 30th of August. Nour did not make it

Macintosh
  • Little Red Lie - Short, story driven 'game'. It's stuck in 32bit world so I have to play it on my Aunt's old 2010 MBP she threw at me. Once it's done I can recycle the computer. Done, 31st of August. The last day of winter. I played this on a hand-medown Macbook Pro my aunt gave me. I had two kernal panics, both video card related, while playing it. I will recylce the computer as part of spring cleaning.
  • Disco Elysium - Pushing my little 2013MBA to it's limits, I've heard this award winning game is a 20 hour experience or so depending on how distracted you get.
  • Where the Goats Are - I'll talk about this one with my farming game bros. Apaprently only takes an hour. Should make a nice break from my studying data analysis. Done, Tuesday the 4th
WiiU
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X - The big one. I don't know how far I have to go but I've unlocked all the map. I need to just grit my teeth and push through. Haven't picked it up in years. Going to be so lost. Please send help.
  • Star Fox Zero - I mean, I haven't ever played this. it's jsut one of those high score games right? Should be able to finish in an afternoon?

Super Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Terranigma - Another big game to somehow knockover. I last plaeyd it a year ago. My backloggery account says "Just got the boat". This game is being played on original, PAL hardware.
  • Super Metroid - A game people speedrun in under an hour but I've never beaten it. I have a save in Maridia most of the way through the game. This game is being played on the Wii U Virtual Console, making it the gross, slow PAL version. Done 22nd of August, jsut before midnight.
3DS
  • Ever Oasis - Well I guess if Pokepal is playing it, I should too. Done. 10th of August. What a great game
  • Chase: Cold Case Investigations ~Distant Memories~ - To keep the 3DS in circulation I'm adding some short games I own but never engaged with. Got a lot of momentum going in this contest, so these short games will jsut leave me with an incredible highscore.Done, Monday, 17th of August
  • The Starship Damrey - A short story puzzle experience. Done, Tuesday the 18th.
  • BoxBoxBoy - Somehow I never played much of this one despite loving the original and BoxBoy + BoxGirl. I owe it to my Apple Time Capsule that I named after boxboy to beat this game.Done, Wednesday the 12th of August.
  • Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - If I change the difficulty to 'casual' I might be able to beat level two! Done, it turns out I could beat enough levels to reach the credits, but the story is clearly not over. Wednesday the 19th
  • Pullblox - This game is called Pushmo in developing nations. I never developed enough to finsih it thouhg. My file was found about â…“ or the way through.DONE! 21st of August, 2020
  • Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon - I have a save file from many years ago, I guess I'll jsut pickup from there?
  • Edge - How do I have so many games done jsut halfway?Done (?) 23rd of August.
  • Retro City Rampage DX - I bought this way back when there was the incredible Nintendo Humble Bundle and I started it and thought it was alright but never got back to it. My file reads 11% complete. Done 24th of August. Save file only reads 61% complete but there's all sorts of bullshit collectables. I did all the story missions and watched the credits.
I have updated my backloggery https://backloggery.com/RABicle
I will also update this post as games are completed and provide near constant updates with posts in the thread.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 10:34:30 AM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Ever Oasis absolutely needs to be played. it is so good.

Not counting new games that are in a queue to be played, I have been wanting to play through the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild for over a year now. I have decided that when I finish Xenoblade Definitive Edition, Im going to start it. Im nearly done with Xenoblade, so I should be able to start BotW soon.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X - The big one. I don't know how far I have to go but I've unlocked all the map. I need to just grit my teeth and push through. Haven't picked it up in years. Going to be so lost. Please send help.

Save it for later. After playing XC:DE and understanding the XC series principles and fundamentals, I really do want to get back to XCX although I'm leaning towards just starting over as I had only gotten to Chapter 4 and the second jungle continent. I just don't want to play a game of XCX's size and length after going through XC and still finishing up the extra story content. But I've pretty much scheduled this in my mind to play in late November/December as holidays from work will give me the opportunity to really dig in and play it constantly it for awhile thus getting through a big chunk of the game this way. Wait until then and we can post/discuss it at that time.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
It appears that some loser named Pokepal148 has stolen my totally 100% original idea and run some kind of knock off version of Backlaugust on Negative World.

Clicking on that link just sends me to a page that says No Access. When clicking on the forums of Negative World, I see no forum topic about this. (Also, Negative World is an odd choice to use for a name. I get the video game relevance but it just gives the impression that everyone is going to be pessimistic or a downer on every subject. Also just one letter off from also being NWR.)

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
It appears that some loser named Pokepal148 has stolen my totally 100% original idea and run some kind of knock off version of Backlaugust on Negative World.

Clicking on that link just sends me to a page that says No Access. When clicking on the forums of Negative World, I see no forum topic about this. (Also, Negative World is an odd choice to use for a name. I get the video game relevance but it just gives the impression that everyone is going to be pessimistic or a downer on every subject. Also just one letter off from also being NWR.)
I forgot when I wrote that that you have to be logged in to see most of the threads on there. I just asked the admin there to make that thread public so it can be seen without having an account.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:42:20 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
I have Earthbound on my 3DS, maybe like half way through and it's been like that for a good 4 years I would guess. So I'm going to go and finish that.

I have bought a bunch of MGS games and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots has been holding that up for about 6 months now.

I have had Metroid Prime 3: Corruption on like 80% complete for about 6 months and I've had the trilogy since it came out 5 years ago.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
Watching the Dragon Quest Builders 2 credits now. Worst boss fight in the history of gaming?

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
Re: Backlaugust 2020 - NWR is Dragon Quest Building up a strong start.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 02:26:34 AM »
I guess I "beat" Where the Goats are.
jfc.

Also I may've underestimated the grind of World of Tennis. Right now 'm not sure I will beat the final league before the end of the month.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 02:31:15 AM by RABicle »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 04:38:12 AM »
I'm almost done Luigi's Mansion 3, just a few more hours, I hope, from the end.

I also have Undertale on Switch along with a few other games, but I'll only commit to playing those for now.  If I really had the time, I'd finally fire up that PS3 I got back on Black Friday 2011, and clear that out.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 12:44:05 AM »
So I've started Ever Oasis, seems fun. I wonder how long the game would be without all the talking though. I should be able to push through it by the end of the month with regular play sessions in the evenings.

Hitup Rayman Legends again, I'm really close to the end but there's going to be a bit of a grind to unlock the final set of levels. I have some thoughts on this game, on paper it should be an excellent 10/10 release but it falls flat somehow. Anyway some regular sessions as breaks between my study should get me through in a couple of weeks.
UPDATE: it is beaten.

After doing some research, I'm not sure it will be possible to beat Ring Fit Adventure this month. I didn't realise the game had so many levels and due to the nature of the game, and my desire to play it properly and not hurt myself, I don't think it's possible to finish it this month. I'm going to keep it in my list though to get myself into the habit of playing it regularly and I'll just chalk up what World I'm up to at the end of the month to mark my progress.

Terranigma, Disco Elysium and Xenoblade X are going to be the big three that will require some extended playsessions to lock myself away for.

A real danger is the possibility of getting addicted to Dragon Quest Builders 2 again. It's done now, playing it onyl takes away time form otehr games in this list but building stuff is fun and there's all kinda of cool chalenges to do. I will try to abstain for now. Maybe we can do Completember or something next month.

Also Lemonade should credit his clearing of XB:DE towards his month.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 05:59:22 AM by RABicle »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 01:48:04 PM »
Watching the Dragon Quest Builders 2 credits now. Worst boss fight in the history of gaming?
Which boss fight are you referring to? I don't remember having a problem with anything at the end of the game.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 07:25:35 PM »
Woo! There we go, Metroid Prime 3 in the bag. I would say just in time for 4 but that's likely another few years down the road.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 09:01:07 PM »
I've decided to join in with this. At least to start I think I'll go with three games, and maybe add some more if I make good progress with those.

My first three games:

Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - I really love this game but I keep drifting away from it for whatever reason.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening HD - I never seem to finish Zelda games, but I'm going to put my foot down and do it with this one.

Metroid: Samus Returns - I never finished this because I had no desire to play my 3DS much instead of my shiny new Switch, but it's great.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 11:32:03 PM »
Which boss fight are you referring to? I don't remember having a problem with anything at the end of the game.
The final one, that you battle in your car and upgrade your abilities during the fight and the controls ahve changed for some reason. It's not bad in that it's hard, it's bad in that it's absolute trash.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 05:19:36 PM »
Speaking of annoying final bosses, I randomly re-picked up and cleared Wario Land 1 on 3DS Virtual Console. Now Wario can enjoy happily living in a tree stump.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Backlaugust 2020 - Primed and Ready to clear some backlogs.
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 06:44:38 PM »
That's too good for him!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 06:49:05 PM »
The final one, that you battle in your car and upgrade your abilities during the fight and the controls ahve changed for some reason. It's not bad in that it's hard, it's bad in that it's absolute trash.
That part was a little weird, but then again so's the whole game. I thought it kinda made sense given the events of the chapter, and I didn't find anything bad about it. To each their own I s'pose.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2020, 04:47:29 AM »
So I'm liking this a lot, having a specific goal like this is really helping me here. Pokepal picked an excellent idea to plagiarize, and I'd go as far as to say that this is the second best thing Nintendo World Report has ever stolen from Negative World. I'd also like to officially add Mass Effect to my in progress list.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2020, 07:32:20 PM »
I'd go as far as to say that this is the second best thing Nintendo World Report has ever stolen from Negative World.
What would be the first best? Guillaume?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2020, 08:23:42 PM »
I'd go as far as to say that this is the second best thing Nintendo World Report has ever stolen from Negative World.
What would be the first best? Guillaume?

Yes.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2020, 08:29:19 PM »
I started BotW last night. Im glad I finally have time to play it.

I kind of forgot how tough the game is at the start. I have already died a bunch of times. Thankfully the checkpoint system is very good, so you dont really lose any progress.

Im trying to do things differently this time. Instead of jumping off the north side of the plateau, as the game suggests, I went south. I activated a tower, went over to another one, but I didnt have enough stamina to climb it.

I streamed it too, so here is the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGsWXi5nlPg
Except I just noticed something seems to have gone wrong with the archive, and it has lost the first half an hour or so

Offline PogueSquadron

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2020, 04:17:52 PM »
I think I'm gonna need to go buy a bunch of games that only take a half hour each...

Wow, you guys have formatting buttons?? I feel like I just walked into the house of the kid who always makes us take their shoes off.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 04:45:37 PM by PogueSquadron »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2020, 07:09:32 PM »
Will participate in this too when I get a bit more time later in the month. Most of my backlogs is RPGs right now (EarthBound, Xenoblade, Pokémon Silver) so I might cheat and pick something from the Switch SNES library instead.

Wow, you guys have formatting buttons?? I feel like I just walked into the house of the kid who always makes us take their shoes off.

You're the only one here complimenting the forums' features recently PogueSquad. ;D
You should play Shovel Knight Cards King, it's a really fun expansion, one of my faves. Plays kinda like Wario Land, and it's not too long if you skip the card battles.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 07:13:19 PM by Discord.RSS »