Author Topic: XENOSAGA: World's Largest Game  (Read 7958 times)

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
XENOSAGA: World's Largest Game
« on: March 05, 2003, 05:22:00 AM »
It's stored on a dual-layer DVD and according to the creators, uses every bit of the DVD's 8.5 gigabytes.  That's a HUGE game!  

Offline Stex

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
XENOSAGA: World's Largest Game = 8.5 gigabytes
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 09:23:17 AM »
And people say that we won't need this Blu ray stuff........

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 11:18:46 AM »
It's not the size, it's what you do with what you've got.

Means nothing (not to say that the game isn't good, but figures don't impress me).  Space Invaders and Mario are awesome games, yet you could fit them on a cell phone.  Quality, not quantity.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2003, 11:36:07 AM »
Xenosaga also has 30 minute cutscenes.  The "game" is more like a movie with a few videogame elements thrown in.  Personally I think it's an exception.  In general games aren't going to have that much non-interactive cut scenes to fill a whole dual layered DVD (and in the future Blu Ray disc).  If games like Xenosaga start becoming pretty common people are going to get sick of them real fast.  Really long cutscenes are pretty cool the first time but they would get tiring really quickly.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2003, 11:58:42 AM »
Xenosaga has next to no replay value, but you spend so much time playing the game it doesn't matter. Easily a 70 hour game for me.

Offline Poz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2003, 01:09:31 PM »
Xenosaga is sooooooooooo cool.  I mean, the story alone is enough to buy the game eleventy billion times and the battle system is amazingly deep...I hate it when people call it a "movie", it's not, it's a game (a really good one).  Sure, the cut scenes are long, but you probably spend more time infront of low quality television or movies...this is a very good game....  
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women."
    --Scott Adams

Offline Poz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2003, 01:11:08 PM »
heh, i meant low quality television programs and bad movies...
"It's hard to argue with the government. Remember, they run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, so they must know a thing or two about satisfying women."
    --Scott Adams

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2003, 01:13:49 PM »

Originally posted by: Poz
heh, i meant low quality television programs and bad movies...

Just to let you know there is a edit button when you mess up on posts.  Anyways I heard about this game and I think it will be another MGS2 with WAY too many cut scenes.

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2003, 02:23:41 PM »
According to people playing the game, Xenosaga is just like an anime movie... except that you are IN the movie instead of just watching it.  Sounds cool to me.

7 1/2 hours of movies/cutscenes is how much I heard is included in the game.  Spread over 60 hours that's really not alot.  It still leaves ~52 hours of game.  Add in sidequests, and the game will surpass 100.

ASIDE: I don't know why people complain about cut-scenes so much?  Super Nintendo RPGs had plenty of cutscenes in them.  Like that hour-long opera sequence in Final Fantasy 3  (FF6 in Japan).  Long, involved stories are nothing new.

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2003, 03:17:09 PM »
Xenosaga's cut scenes are offset by the fact that Xenosasa's story is more epic and vast than any game before it, except for Xengoears, whichwas also very cut scene intensive.

So far in Xenosaga I havn't noticed any increase in cut scenes beyond what Xenogears had.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Stex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2003, 05:15:23 PM »
I don't understand why people would rather watch an in game sequence when they can watch a beautiful pre-rendered scene....makes no sense.   Like someone else said, RPGs in the past had tons of cutscenes too, they were just done in game.

On another subject, is it a good idea to play Xenogears before you play Xenosaga or what?  I may pick up one of them in the future and I'd rather play Xenosaga if you don't really need to play Xenogears first.

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2003, 05:31:56 PM »
No, you don't need to play Xenogears first (Though I think you will have more fun).

THe offical word is Xenosaga is NOT related to Xenogears.  The developers of XG were not happy with the finished product due to cut time and budget.  

Xenosaga is esentially a rebirth of the series that loosly (not directly) follows "Xenogears:  Perfect Works" a 300+ page artbook/companion to Xengoears that lets people in on all the stuff they left out, as well as gives a brief outline as to what "Episode 1" would be.  

There are many common elements between the two.  Both have an object called Zohar, and Abel (A character from Xenogears) does show up, just as he is supposed to.  Hopefully EPisode 2 of Xenosaga will include the events of Xengoears opening sequence, but again, it's only loosly following the timeline, so who knows.  Becasue of these simmilarities and common items, I think you will enjoy XS more if you have played Xenogears, just to catch those things.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2003, 10:25:45 AM »

Originally posted by: Locke Cole
Anyways I heard about this game and I think it will be another MGS2 with WAY too many cut scenes.

Don't think, try. Thats like calling animal crossing stupid without playing it.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2003, 01:27:55 PM »
People always judge a game bfore they play it. I've done it countless times, but only when I'm trying to convert someone over to Nintendo.
I remember when I was in Year 8 (1998), I read a review of Turok 2 in NMS (Nintendo Magazine System - An old NIntendo mag in Australia), and it got 100%. I saw things like the cerebral bore, and I instantly said how cool this game to other people. "Look! There's this thing called the crebral bore and you can....", "This game is the coolest!".
I finally rented the game, and it just sucked big time. PLaying Goldeneye for so long put me off this game. The frame suced, the fog was too great, and the sound was muffled like a speaker wrapped in 40 feet of sponges.
ANd that is my story of judging a game before playing it.

So I'm sure Xenosaga is a great game, as is MGS2, despite the numerous cutscenes in both.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2003, 02:42:46 PM »
I've had a similar experience, so I've learned.  It's practically made me a Nintendo exclusive, though I'll get other games on occassion.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2003, 04:28:54 PM »
Once again...

Xenosaga's story requires a lot of cut scenes.  SO much is going on.  This isn't the simple Link saves Princess story that requires little explination or background.

Again, if you ahve ever played Xenogears, you will find no more cut scenes than Xengoears had, and like Xenogears you'll find the story just as rewarding.  

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2003, 04:37:06 PM »
i love cutscenes
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2003, 08:47:33 PM »
It depends on how well emplimented they are. The Bouncer is an example of a game that didn't exactly empliment their cutseens well.

As for needing bigger medium. Why? Because a few games may use more than one disc. (DMC2 also used a simular amount but on two DVDs) With third party developers become more time constrained means they will not be able to use too much more than 8 GB of data.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline theaveng

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2003, 02:44:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Stex
I don't understand why people would rather watch an in game sequence when they can watch a beautiful pre-rendered scene....makes no sense.
Where did that come from?  I don't see anyone in this topic saying they prefer cutscenes instead of FMVs?

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2003, 03:17:26 PM »
FMV's developement costs $$$, hense why FF production costs, also MPEG's take a good chunk of storage is why developers tend to favor in-game cuts.

:0

And Xenosaga is just a SLOW starter, meaning it tends to get spaced out quite a bit in the middle .

Suikoden III is the same way but I'm loving every minute of it.