Author Topic: Super Mario 3D Land Comes out on Top in November in Japan  (Read 6516 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Super Mario 3D Land Comes out on Top in November in Japan
« on: December 06, 2011, 10:32:09 PM »

Nintendo is finally seeing the success they hoped for in the 3DS.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/28613

Super Mario Land 3D Land for the 3DS is the top selling game in Japan for November, according to a report by Famitsu and Enterbrain.

The Mario title, released on November 3, beat out several high profile efforts including Hatsune Miku for the PlayStation Portable and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, which is published in Japan by Square Enix. In November alone, the game sold 542,842 units.

The Wii's Skyward Sword also fared well in November, selling 194,894 units, landing it at the number four spot in the chart. The other top 10 release for a Nintendo system was One Piece Gigant Battle 2 New World for the 3DS, which sold 134,943 units.

The full chart of best selling games is as follows:

01. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo, 11/3): 542,842
02. [PSP] Hatsune Miku Project Diva Extend (Sega, 11/10): 234,627
03. [PS3] Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 Subtitled Version (Square Enix, 11/17): 227,219
04. [WII] Zelda Skyward Sword (Nintendo, 11/23): 194,894
05. [PSP] Final Fantasy Type-0 (Square Enix, 10/27): 172,756 (total 676,144)
06. [PS3] Battle Field 3 (EA, 11/2): 157,484
07. [PS3] Uncharted 3 (Sony, 11/2): 153,363
08. [PS3] Sengoku Basara 3 Utage (Capcom, 11/10): 138,610
09. [3DS] One Piece Gigant Battle 2 New World (Namco Bandai, 11/17): 134,943
10. [PSP] Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuke (Sony, 11/10): 114,548

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline SilverQuilava

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario 3D Land Comes out on Top in November in Japan
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 12:04:16 PM »
I don't see why anyone would have had any doubts from the beginning. As soon as I heard and learned what the 3ds could do, I saw all of this coming.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 05:03:53 PM »
I don't see why anyone would have had any doubts from the beginning. As soon as I heard and learned what the 3ds could do, I saw all of this coming.

Too many people just can't wait to watch Nintendo fall so that they can say they "called it" years ago.  Thus, pretty much any chink in Nintendo's armor will get blown to the proportions you acknowledged.  Sadly, this means even if the 3DS consistently out-paces the DS for five years, every article will still begin with "despite a disappointing start."  Funny PS3 articles don't get written like that.  It was usually always "this is the year of the PS3! For reals this time!"

Can't wait to see what will be written about the 3DS once Kid Icarus, MGS and RE Revelations have had some time at market =P

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 05:55:32 PM »
There were (and still are) legitimate reasons to be concerned about the 3DS. Not everyone is out to get Nintendo.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 07:11:07 PM »
There were (and still are) legitimate reasons to be concerned about the 3DS. Not everyone is out to get Nintendo.

You raise several excellent points and have given us all a lot to think about.

So by all means, make sure general gaming media doesn't let silly things good news and a long history of success interrupt their grumps parade!
March on, brave souls... march on.  :'(

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 07:37:04 PM »
History doesn't mean anything. Nintendo's success drastically changed from the SNES to the N64, and again from the GameCube to the Wii, despite history. Same with Sony from the PS2 to the PS3. Things can change very rapidly in this business. That's not to say I don't think the 3DS has a good future ahead of it, but a history of success is no indicator that you will remain successful.

Also, I haven't seen the doom and gloom about the 3DS in the general gaming media recently, now that the games are showing up. Super Mario 3D Land got glowing reviews from just about everybody. I don't think this negativity you complain about is really there.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 08:26:42 PM »
Nintendo has always been profitable in the games biz (regardless of what "place" they were in during what generation) and has been kicking around in some form or another for over 100 years.  Since competitors have not always made money, yet people are quick to pronounce Nintendo "doooomed" at the drop of a hat, yes, I would say history means something.  Unless the "concern" is merely over frivolous status like what "place" the company is in.

Also, in the case of the 3DS specifically, if you read carefully you'll notice I've said two things.  First, that people were quick to pronounce the 3DS dead on arrival and second that they will likely never stop bringing that up despite current success.  That, in fact, acknowledges that reactions have been generally favorable recently... just that these folks will cling to what negatives they can to save face.  Just wanted to clarify that since it is different from your previous implication.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 09:23:06 PM »
What place a company is in is only frivolous in terms of profitability, which I (and I'd wager most others) don't give a **** about. In terms of third party support, which is much more important to me, it can be quite significant.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 09:27:51 PM »
What place a company is in is only frivolous in terms of profitability, which I (and I'd wager most others) don't give a **** about. In terms of third party support, which is much more important to me, it can be quite significant.

Which can only be a problem for Nintendo since their first party is the strongest in the biz.  That is, at worst, a great problem to have.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 09:34:36 PM »
Subpar third party support is in no way "a great problem to have." It doesn't matter how good your first party stuff is if that's all you're getting, as we've seen with the Wii and it's long droughts between big titles.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 10:06:47 PM »
Subpar third party support is in no way "a great problem to have." It doesn't matter how good your first party stuff is if that's all you're getting, as we've seen with the Wii and it's long droughts between big titles.

ooookay. guess we'll have to agree to disagree there since I'm pretty sure I have some awesome third party Wii games on my shelf.

oh and, since the Wii was in first place this entire generation, the basis of your whole argument falls apart.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:08:23 PM by NinSage »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 10:13:34 PM »
I have some great third party Wii games as well. I'm not saying they don't exist, just that there aren't as many as there are on other platforms. And this generation is a bit more complicated than straight sales numbers due to the different game-buying habits of different system audiences.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 10:46:28 PM »

... alrighty.

So, how 'bout that Mario 3D Land?! I have to wait all the way 'til XMas for mine (and the 3DS for that matter). *sad panda*

... even though it is sitting in the next room ..... not even wrapped yet...... bwahaha she'll never know!!

jk... she'd know.

Back to Okami (playing it for the first time!).

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 12:39:07 PM »

... alrighty.

So, how 'bout that Mario 3D Land?! I have to wait all the way 'til XMas for mine (and the 3DS for that matter). *sad panda*

... even though it is sitting in the next room ..... not even wrapped yet...... bwahaha she'll never know!!

jk... she'd know.

At least she didn't buy it right in front of you...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 03:39:23 PM »

... alrighty.

jk... she'd know.

At least she didn't buy it right in front of you...

True.  I suppose that would make it worse =)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 04:25:28 PM »
Go buy an identical one ($50 GC @ Target & BB), play it in secret (bathroom, garage, car) and then return the one she bought later in it's place.

problem solved?

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 07:18:44 PM »
Go buy an identical one ($50 GC @ Target & BB), play it in secret (bathroom, garage, car) and then return the one she bought later in it's place.

problem solved?

hehe, I like where your head's at.  When I was little I actually did CAREFULLY unwrap and play my Batman and Spider-Man GameBoy games (different years) and then CAREFULLY put them back in the wrapping.

But, I guess I'm too mature for that now...
... plus, I don't have the 3DS yet... that's part of the gift!  :P:

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 07:49:13 PM »
I'm saying go buy the 3DS @ Target or BB, you get a $50 GC right now, and then you can also buy a game(s) with that GC and then return what she bought you in it's place. (TRU is having a B1G1 50% off sale right now too)

You will get the money for the 3DS back + you already have a game for Free + the games that she got you.

or use the GC to buy one of the games she got you and then return her copy later for a different game or cash back.

Sounds like a Win Win since she probably spent more on that 3DS previously than if she were to return and rebuy it right now.

actually, why don't you just tell her to do that, and you get the $50 GC in addition to the 3DS as part of your present.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:50:51 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 01:44:51 AM »
Saving money is good...

currently there is a snazzy LE Zelda 3DS in the other room.  Does your plan still get me one of those in the end?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 01:51:20 AM »
Probably not, but you'll have to check their websites to be sure.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 02:00:47 AM »
Not as good as a $50 GC, but this weekend GameStop will have the Zelda 3DS bundle for $180.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline SilverQuilava

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 10:49:59 PM »

Too many people just can't wait to watch Nintendo fall so that they can say they "called it" years ago.  Thus, pretty much any chink in Nintendo's armor will get blown to the proportions you acknowledged.  Sadly, this means even if the 3DS consistently out-paces the DS for five years, every article will still begin with "despite a disappointing start."  Funny PS3 articles don't get written like that.  It was usually always "this is the year of the PS3! For reals this time!"

Can't wait to see what will be written about the 3DS once Kid Icarus, MGS and RE Revelations have had some time at market =P
It's like I've said before, everything is just TOO mainstream nowadays! Everyone is so indulgent in the entertainment industry that it is affecting the Video game industry and community TOO MUCH. Very soon, too soon in fact, video games are going to be swallowed up by movies, advertisement, mediocrity, and just ANNOYANCE. I know it's a little off topic, but I think this is an issue that people really should be aware of and need to eventually do something about. This is becoming an all too real problem. I mean, wouldn't seeing Donkey's face on nintendo eshop for two months (and counting) annoy the stuffing out of you too?