Author Topic: Bombermen, Axes, and Beans  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Bombermen, Axes, and Beans
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:18:35 AM »

The latest Virtual Console recommendations deal with bean-popping puzzles, fantasy beat 'em up action, and a five-player game.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/recommendations/28349

Nintendo World Report staffers dig into the Virtual Console back catalog this week for their recommendations. Are these titles timeless classics suited for everyone and anyone to play? Unique experiences that fans will be delighted to rediscover? Or just some really old games?

Pedro Hernandez goes first with a recommendation for the TurboGrafx-16 game Bomberman '93. This Virtual Console release actually supports five players by utilizing all four Wii Remotes plus a connected GameCube controller. The question is, are five players is a party, or a crowd?

Then James Dawson gets his twitch on for Golden Axe from the Sega Genesis. Is saving the kingdom from a baddie called "Death Adder" all its cracked up to be?

Finally, Pedro chimes in one last time for Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. The game is a Genesis reskin of the Puyo Puyo puzzle series, so is it puzzlingly good or just puzzling?

Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Bombermen, Axes, and Beans
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 12:47:52 PM »
Mean Bean Machine is my favorite version of Puyo Puyo. I don't know why. It just is.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 05:44:36 PM »
With Bomberman Blast on WiiWare, I don't see a reason to get an older release. That version even supports 8 players and has online, providing more value and making it worth the extra $2.

Man, you really dig into Golden Axe. I remember it being a fun co-op game of the time, and better than most other games of its type that I tried, though I didn't play very many of them.

I played Mean Bean Machine on the Sonic Mega Collection, and I didn't like it. It felt too random.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 03:16:53 PM »
Bomberman '93 was the second Virtual Console game I bought, I got it right when TG16 games were added (2 days after the Wii launch).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 09:44:51 PM »
Golden Axe was a good arcade game, but I only know one guy who has ever liked the Genesis port.  I don't hold it against him, though.