Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572591 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1725 on: November 15, 2011, 10:50:05 PM »
You knew it was going to happen. Sorry insano.

Waiting for reviews...and a lottery win.  There are too many games coming out all at once, this might have stood a better chance five months ago.

I never thought I'd say this, but there are too many games coming out.

When was the game originally going to be released? A delay for me is good because there are already too many games coming out for me to keep up. Though juggling two jobs, one with almost guaranteed overtime and another with good tips should make it easier for me.

Are there any other SRPGs coming or out on Wii other than this and Fire Emblem? I want more.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: November 15, 2011, 10:50:56 PM »
If Nintendo has learned anything from the past three console generations it should be to hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Don't leave holes in the release lineup assuming third parties will be there to step in. If you get real support lined up, make room, but if not be ready to support it all by yourself. No one seriously complains when there are too many games coming out.

Plus, I really don't understand how Nintendo could think it could leave this year to the 3rd parties, not when so many had already ceased Wii development by the end of last year.  Nintendo left things as it were because it assumed (incredibly wrongly) that the 3DS would sell like mad just because it existed, and that the Wii would continue to sell based on the titles from last year (especially evergreen titles like New Super Mario Bros. Wii).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: November 15, 2011, 10:59:35 PM »
You knew it was going to happen. Sorry insano.

Waiting for reviews...and a lottery win.  There are too many games coming out all at once, this might have stood a better chance five months ago.

I never thought I'd say this, but there are too many games coming out.

When was the game originally going to be released? A delay for me is good because there are already too many games coming out for me to keep up. Though juggling two jobs, one with almost guaranteed overtime and another with good tips should make it easier for me.

Are there any other SRPGs coming or out on Wii other than this and Fire Emblem? I want more.

"Seriously" was the operating word there. It's one thing to say there are too many games, quite another to actually believe there should be fewer games. Even if some do, it's nothing compared to the constant bitching during a drought.

If Nintendo has learned anything from the past three console generations it should be to hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Don't leave holes in the release lineup assuming third parties will be there to step in. If you get real support lined up, make room, but if not be ready to support it all by yourself. No one seriously complains when there are too many games coming out.

Plus, I really don't understand how Nintendo could think it could leave this year to the 3rd parties, not when so many had already ceased Wii development by the end of last year.  Nintendo left things as it were because it assumed (incredibly wrongly) that the 3DS would sell like mad just because it existed, and that the Wii would continue to sell based on the titles from last year (especially evergreen titles like New Super Mario Bros. Wii).

I think the issue this year was that Nintendo only had so many development resources to spread between the Wii, 3DS and Wii U, and they made the business decision that they'd get more in the way of returns by focusing on the latter two systems, which is most likely true. Still doesn't explain the lack of Xenoblade/Last Story/Pandora's Tower, which are all completed, though.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: November 15, 2011, 11:04:17 PM »
99% sounds like a lot, but early in the generation it would have been very high, given the high margins on both the Wii and DS and Sony and Microsoft still taking a loss. Actually, if you're only counting the hardware manufacturers 99% might be accurate.

But if Nintendo was the only one profitable and the other two were losing money, then shouldn't Nintendo be responsible for 100% of profit? What would account for the 1% discrepancy? Margin of error?
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: November 16, 2011, 06:45:32 AM »
lol wtf is the comment by russel carroll saying? "That's been the big failing of Nintendo's handling of the Wii, not doing enough sequels to keep the market fresh.", that keeps it active, it doesn't make them fresh.

One big complaint I have with modern gaming is people expect way to goddamn much. Nintendo has to support 4 platforms this year. 1 thats dying, 1 thats new, 1 thats on the way, 1 thats old but still gets games. Its a waning year people. The moon isn't full the whole month.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: November 16, 2011, 03:01:08 PM »
One big complaint I have with modern gaming is people expect way to goddamn much. Nintendo has to support 4 platforms this year. 1 thats dying, 1 thats new, 1 thats on the way, 1 thats old but still gets games. Its a waning year people. The moon isn't full the whole month.

If it was just a problem with spreading themselves too thin I could see it.  But when there are completed Wii games that could be localized and NOA chooses to release NOTHING instead, it's fair to complain.  It's turned from an unavoidable necessary problem to a completely avoidable one.  The Wii lineup this year could EASILY have been fuller.  It still wouldn't be great but NOA made it WORSE.

I don't think Nintendo trusts third parties to fill in the gaps.  When has Nintendo made any attempt to court third parties that doesn't feel like a mere token effort?  They either aren't trying or they REALLY suck at it.  I think Nintendo just does not care.  If they make a profit anyway it doesn't matter if Wii owners are pissed off about a lack of titles.  For every 100 core gamers that get fed up and buy another system, 200 casuals make the latest Wii Series game a huge hit.

The 3DS was this arrogance taken to its extreme.  It was not an attempt to let third parties have their share.  No, it was just Nintendo releasing the system with a pitful lineup because they thought they could.  Who cares if the rubes are upset that there is nothing to play as long as we make money off them!  Is there really any difference between the 3DS launch and the DS launch?  That "strategy" worked before so why not again?  But it didn't work this time and it isn't that third parties dropped the ball Nintendo gave them.  Nintendo dropped the ball.  They put in a piss poor effort because they didn't care, because in the past they had enough sucker customers to make a profit with a half-assed effort.  Finally it bit them in the ass and maybe things will change.

If Nintendo suddenly is great at attracting third parties it will be because they are no longer confident in their ability to succeed without them so they'll put in a serious effort for a change.  If they suddenly show a legitimate concern about filling release gaps it will be because they're not confident they can get away with them.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: November 16, 2011, 05:42:09 PM »
I'm going to predict: Those games that aren't getting released in North America will be launch lineup Wii U games. They may or may not be improved...or they'll be what fills the Wii void next year. Skyward Sword is just about to be released, and after that Nintendo will let it sell for a month, and then start to make announcements. They are way too obsessed with not having ANYTHING interfere with sales of their top 3 franchises even if it doesn't make much sense.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: November 17, 2011, 11:14:42 AM »
Its taking too damn long to come out, come on nintendo !
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: November 17, 2011, 12:13:38 PM »
That "strategy" worked before so why not again?

Not really, no. The DS launched in November 2004 at a price of $149.99 I believe. That's a full $100 less than the 3DS launched at, and yet even at that price the DS had sluggish sales for the first 8 months or so. The DS and its revisions were never priced any higher than $169.99 I think... maybe the XL model or something was $189.99, I don't really remember. But none of them was over $200 and certainly not $250, so I don't know why Nintendo would think the 3DS would sell at that high of a price. That was new and unprecedented.

Nintendo got greedy with the 3DS and they've paid the price for it, but this "strategy" did not work before. This was the sort of arrogance Sony made with the PS3 by pricing it at $600 though not near as bad, obviously. Unlike the PS3 Nintendo corrected the 3DS price quickly and before the competition showed up, so I think the 3DS has already recovered and there should be no long term problems. Hopefully they've learned their lesson, but I hope they don't interpret this as a reason to cheap down the Wii U and its components at the cost of making it a system that is too weak and 3rd parties want nothing to do with.

Console and handhelds are two different things. Pricing a handheld above $200 is a no no, obviously, but its accepted as normal for consoles. So you can price a console at $249.99 or $299.99 or maybe even a bit higher than that and get away with it, but you can't get away with doing that with a handheld. People are willing to spend more on consoles because they expect more out of them. Consoles are supposed to be powerful graphical processing beasts. I think this is something that's going to hurt the Vita, because it is built powerful, yet its a handheld.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 12:21:17 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: November 17, 2011, 01:24:28 PM »
Cheapest doesn't always win though, the GC was the bargin price last generation and still lost.  Software is where it matters and I would have been glad to spend $250 if they made the games that I wanted.

And yeah, nintendo own habbits ended up biting them in the back, people are expecting an "new" version already and that was before the mess with the second circle pad.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: November 17, 2011, 02:48:06 PM »
Cheapest doesn't always win though, the GC was the bargin price last generation and still lost.

The PS2 had a 2 year head start and backwards compatibility with the PS1 which pretty much stacked the deck in its favor right from the start. The race between the GC and Xbox for 2nd place was pretty close, though.
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1736 on: November 17, 2011, 06:43:57 PM »
It also plays DVDs.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: November 17, 2011, 06:49:17 PM »
It also plays DVDs.

So did the Xbox, and the Gamecube had the Panasonic Q variant which also did.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1738 on: November 17, 2011, 06:54:31 PM »
The Xbox required you to buy a remote (the Xbox DVD Playback Kit) to play the DVDs, and the Panasonic Q was only sold in Japan. Anyone with a PS2 could play DVDs (and with just their controllers). That could make a difference to the average consumer.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: November 17, 2011, 06:55:32 PM »
You know what I would like to see on Wii U (and I'm not even kidding about this)?  StarCraft 2.  I'm dead serious.  If that controller is good for anything, you'd think an RTS would be a natural fit.  At the moment, I don't have a computer good enough to run StarCraft 2, and while I will have one by Christmas, I've pretty much moved on from PC gaming at this point.  StarCraft 64 on the N64 was a flawed port, but I thought it played alright given the limitations of the hardware.  I've seen rumors of Diablo 3 being ported to consoles, so why not StarCraft 2 to a console with not only the suitable specs, but an interface device possibly ideal for those sorts of games?

Granted, we'd probably need a keyboard accessory or USB support to really make the game work, but I'm sure Blizzard could manage a good port if they actually gave a damn about expanding beyond the PC market.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: November 17, 2011, 07:06:10 PM »
I think a game like Diablo would work better (although I've only seen videos of it played and have never played it myself).
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: November 17, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »
Consoles do have USB ports these days. I don't understand why game developers won't just let you plug your USB mouse and/or keyboard in and play your console games using that, just as you would on a PC. Why does it always have to be a controller every time? Dual analog sticks aren't as precise as a mouse. Then again, a touchscreen with a stylus is just as good, and maybe even better than a mouse.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: November 17, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »
Well Ghost Recon Online is already a Realtime Strategy 1st/3rd person Shooter

and as far as a SC2 is concerned, all you would need really is an button enabled touch screen keyboard. or a keyboard icon on the screen that you touch and up pops the keyboard. no need for a separate attachment.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: November 17, 2011, 07:17:35 PM »
You know what I would like to see on Wii U (and I'm not even kidding about this)?  StarCraft 2.  I'm dead serious.  If that controller is good for anything, you'd think an RTS would be a natural fit.  At the moment, I don't have a computer good enough to run StarCraft 2, and while I will have one by Christmas, I've pretty much moved on from PC gaming at this point.  StarCraft 64 on the N64 was a flawed port, but I thought it played alright given the limitations of the hardware.  I've seen rumors of Diablo 3 being ported to consoles, so why not StarCraft 2 to a console with not only the suitable specs, but an interface device possibly ideal for those sorts of games?

Granted, we'd probably need a keyboard accessory or USB support to really make the game work, but I'm sure Blizzard could manage a good port if they actually gave a damn about expanding beyond the PC market.

With USB support, you might as well plug in a mouse and keyboard.  I can kind of envision a control scheme using the Wii remote as the mouse and the Wii U tablet as a keyboard replacement, or one using the touch screen as a track pad for an on screen pointer, but it seems kind of wonky.  We'd be better off with RTS games that work to consoles' strengths instead of trying to overcome their weaknesses to play PC style RTS games.  Something like those games where you play as a commander on the ground, running around among your units, perhaps.  I can see the tablet helping out a lot there.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: November 17, 2011, 07:20:41 PM »
With USB support, you might as well plug in a mouse and keyboard.  I can kind of envision a control scheme using the Wii remote as the mouse and the Wii U tablet as a keyboard replacement, or one using the touch screen as a track pad for an on screen pointer, but it seems kind of wonky.  We'd be better off with RTS games that work to consoles' strengths instead of trying to overcome their weaknesses to play PC style RTS games.  Something like those games where you play as a commander on the ground, running around among your units, perhaps.  I can see the tablet helping out a lot there.

The problem is that Blizzard has tried that specific idea before with StarCraft: Ghost, and if you remember it that story didn't end well.  Blizzard doesn't have a good history with new projects tailored specifically for consoles after the SNES era, so I wouldn't want to tempt fate on that.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: November 17, 2011, 07:28:36 PM »
Nintendo's very own SD cards that cme in sizes of 8 GB and 16 GBs. Could these be bundled with the Wii U?

http://kotaku.com/5860420/nintendo+branded-sd-cards-you-got-it
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: November 17, 2011, 07:35:15 PM »

The problem is that Blizzard has tried that specific idea before with StarCraft: Ghost, and if you remember it that story didn't end well.  Blizzard doesn't have a good history with new projects tailored specifically for consoles after the SNES era, so I wouldn't want to tempt fate on that.

I thought Ghost was more of a straight up action game.  Regardless, I'm thinking of something like Battlezone II.  With dual analog to control the commander and a touch screen for menus and orders, something like it might actually work well on the Wii U.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: November 17, 2011, 08:40:32 PM »
Something like those games where you play as a commander on the ground, running around among your units, perhaps.  I can see the tablet helping out a lot there.
Like Battalion Wars. Reading this thread made me realize how perfect the Wii U controller would be for Battalion Wars, and I can only hope that whichever company that develops the game has figured this out as well. A new Battalion Wars is one of the few games that would have me considering buying a Wii U near launch.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: November 17, 2011, 08:44:39 PM »
You mean like Ghost Recon Online?

Dual analog 1st/3rd person shooter
with RTS like controls on the touch screen (maps, enemy locations, rendezvouz points, drone view, mission updates, weapon stats & selection, etc etc.)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: November 17, 2011, 08:47:03 PM »
Also, remember that Pikmin 3 will be coming at or near launch, if what Miyamoto said at E3 is to be believed, and it stands to benefit from those controls as well.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent