Author Topic: Viewtiful Joe Sells Out?  (Read 3306 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Viewtiful Joe Sells Out?
« on: July 03, 2003, 08:46:32 AM »
We all knew that the game was something special, but this?

VJ-Day was June 26 in Japan, and as the week went on, copies of the game were dwindling quickly.  Retailers were getting in small replenishment shipments, but those were getting sucked up too.  It appears then, that most of the country is out of Viewtiful Joe, and today Capcom has posted a notice of this on its website.

They're apolgizing for the shortage, and asking everyone who is waiting for it to have some patience while Capcom ramps up production of the game.  It hopes to get out more copies before the middle of the month.

It's not out of the question to say that importers might have helped cause this.  That being said, those of you thinking of importing the game had better look forward to Videogame Depot's next shipment; the game is currently back on pre-order only.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Viewtiful Joe Sells Out?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 10:00:35 AM »
Well....  I personally wasn't planning on picking up a copy of the game... straight action games aren't really my type for the most part.  I did let a friend play the demo version on the Preview Disc though, and even though he doesn't own a GameCube, he seemed pretty anxious to play the full game.  

I think it's safe to say at this point that Capcom is quite pleased with the GameCube.  If they deliver a game that's REALLY good, it will sell REALLY well.  This is a great thing right here.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
RE: Viewtiful Joe Sells Out?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 10:09:23 AM »
I recall that VJ was only going to have a small initial shipment. Maybe that was one of the other Capcom GC games.
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Viewtiful Joe Sells Out?
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 10:12:15 AM »
This can only be a good thing.  A situation like this can greatly hype up a games because now it's not just "Viewtiful Joe, Gamecube game" it's "Viewtiful Joe, the game that's sold out everywhere and no one can find".  That instantly makes the game appear to be a bigger deal because when someone sees it on a shelf they might think to themselves "hey it's that rare game.  Maybe I'll buy it to see what the fuss is about."

If Joe becomes a huge hit one thing that Nintendo alsolutely HAS to do is secure it as a Nintendo exclusive franchise.  That way Viewtiful Joe 2 (or 3 or 4 knowing how Capcom is with sequels) can be a big exclusive GC2 launch title.

Offline Gup

• View Profile
Viewtiful Joe Sells Out?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 11:29:34 AM »
This is great news, I'll get this game depending on what I have left in September because Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Boktai are high on mry priority's list(see sig)
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
Viewtiful Joe Sells Out?
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 12:49:28 PM »

That way Viewtiful Joe 2 (or 3 or 4 knowing how Capcom is with sequels) can be a big exclusive GC2 launch title.

Don't you mean Viewtiful Joe Championship Edition, Alpha,  and EX?

My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline Patch

• View Profile
Viewtiful Joe Sells Out?
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 03:59:59 PM »
This is splendid news! It's about time Capcom had a new hit on their hands... hopefully the slow sales of thier games in the US won't turn them off releasing other 'left of the middle' concepts.

That's my biggest fear really. Oh how I love my oddball games, and the fact they rarely shift as well as they should usually means that other companies don't want to risk a bit of creativity.

So buy up people, for the good of gaming.
Ex-Editor at GameBiz!
Ex-Editor of Xbox AU!
Freelance writer for-hire; self-proclaimed sexologist.

"...Do not fold, spindl

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Viewtiful Joe Sells Out?
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 04:45:17 PM »
The best part about the whole thing is that Viewtiful Joe is NOT an established franchises, like Resident Evil, and no once can attribute it's success to series popularity and it shows thaty truly innovative and good 3rd party games DO sell well on the Gamecube- the developer just has to put some effort into it. On top of all that, it's a very unorthodox title, being a cel-shaded 3D side-scroller. This will only encourage other developers to not conform so much to tried and true genres and styles and takes risks.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Viewtiful Joe Sells Out?
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 08:46:10 PM »
yeah exactly mouse_clicker, as much as i hope it would, i doubt this will actually make any difference during the cubes life span :\ most will probably chalk it upto a fluke, or 'those crazy japanese people that we care nothing about' or some other load of garbage :\

but hey, lets hope for some refreshing new ideas for next generation

i really really want this game :\ *preorders*

Offline Cooolcorey

• View Profile
Viewtiful Joe Sells Out?
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2003, 07:08:35 PM »
What is VERY important about the success of this game is that the famous "Capcom 5" is more likely to be GameCube exclusive. Capcom said in it's "exclusivity clarification" that they aren't guaranteed exclusives- it depends on the sales of them. Since this one sold well, the other games have a much better chance of being GC excusive. Very good indeed for Nintendo. I'm looking forward to Killer 7 myself...

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
Viewtiful Joe Sells Out?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2003, 09:13:07 PM »
"What is VERY important about the success of this game is that the famous "Capcom 5" is more likely to be GameCube exclusive. Capcom said in it's "exclusivity clarification" that they aren't guaranteed exclusives- it depends on the sales of them. Since this one sold well, the other games have a much better chance of being GC excusive. Very good indeed for Nintendo. I'm looking forward to Killer 7 myself..."

I don't think it works that way. Capcom recently announced PN3 would remain Gamecube exclusive after it sold so poorly in Japan.
Capcom cares more about its own profits than it does about Nintendo's stance in the console war. It doesn't have the attitude that it will punish the Gamecube by making a game multi-platform if it sells poorly or reward it by keeping it exclusive if it sells well.
Viewtiful Joe selling well probably makes it more likely to be multi-platform. PN3 won't go multi-platform because Capcom assumes that if the game didn't sell well on the GCN, it probably won't sell well on the PS2 either. So there's no point to porting it. But Capcom might look at Viewtiful Joe's sales on the Gamecube and decide, if it sold well on that console, it will certainly sell as well or even better on the PS2.
Regardless, this is good news for Nintendo. It will just make Capcom and other developers more willing to develope titles from the ground up on the Gamecube regardless of whether they eventually get ported to the PS2 or not.