Community Forums > Movies & TV

IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!! [OT] for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Movies & TV)

<< < (933/936) > >>

BlackNMild2k1:
Looks like Black Panther 2 and Ant-Man 3 gonna get that China release!!!
https://deadline.com/2023/01/china-marvel-ban-ends-black-panther-wakanda-forever-ant-man-and-the-wasp-quantumania-release-dates-1235224248/

But what I wonder, is do they speed run the other missed movies through the Chinese theaters as well?

MCU Movies missed by China so far:
Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Eternals, Spider-Man NWH, Doctor Strange MOM, Black Panther WF

This could push BP2 over the $1B mark, as that's still relatively new.
Not sure how a theater run in China might help the rest of the movies, as they've all been out for quite a while now and likely been pirated to death, assuming there was no official DVD/Streaming release dubbed in local languages.

Adrock:

--- Quote from: BlackNMild2k1 on January 17, 2023, 12:37:21 PM ---But what I wonder, is do they speed run the other missed movies through the Chinese theaters as well?
--- End quote ---
Probably not. I looked this up. China will generally ban anything with LGBTQ+ content. If a studio can edit it out, maybe it gets through. My favorite one though was the reason why Spider-Man: No Way Home was blocked from release: China wanted the Statue of Liberty edited out of the movie. LOL, that’s like the entire climax. I don’t know if maybe it would’ve been enough to just remove wide shots showing identifiable features of the statue. Clearly, Marvel/Disney didn’t even bother.

Criticizing China is the easiest way to get a movie banned, and Chinese censors are super-strict about it. If anyone associated with the movie was critical of China, that’s an automatic ban (i.e. Simu Liu from Shang-Chi). Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness apparently had a newspaper prop in the background of one scene that resulted in the whole film getting banned because the publication was once critical of China outside of the movie. If a studio makes a movie that’s critical of China, everything by that studio will be banned.

That said, I’m curious what magic Iger worked to get Chinese releases after so many consecutive bans. It wouldn’t surprise me if Marvel got enough movies banned in a row that China stopped reviewing them entirely and just banned them outright.

BlackNMild2k1:
According to the article, this had a lot to do with it:

--- Quote ---As we’ve previously reported, now that the 20th National Congress of the Chinese Communist Party, as well as 2021’s 100th anniversary of the Party, are out of the way, we hear there’s less fear within the government agencies. This was a big issue: No one wanted to make decisions or be seen as doing anything wrong at a time of geopolitical uncertainty and uncertainty within China. The Marvel issue seemed to stem from cultural and political sensitivities.
--- End quote ---

Which is why I was wondering if Disney, especially now that Iger is back in charge and negotiated the unbanning, would go back and make little "edits" to rake in an additional $100M-$200M Box Office on some of these movies that they could release.

BP2 crossing into the $1B territory is a good headline, and for status.
Doctor Strange, and Spider-Man getting some additional BO is always a plus.
Eternals getting any new money would be helpful

but since you mentioned it... Shang Chi is probably not getting that release, although I think it would've done really well there.

edit:
and then there is always this issue which could be why Iger might push to get those movies released to make that extra money.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/disney-nelson-peltz-ike-perlmutter-bob-iger-1235302095/

this is a fight between Iger and his apparent nemesis in Perlmutter and a hedge fund manager he sent to disrupt Iger and Disney (presumably since removed from Marvel Studios business....)

--- Quote ---Aside from the succession problem, for example, it’s stating the obvious to say that streaming costs have to be reined in. But Iger also has some cards to play, aside from his reputation as one of the best executives in business. He’s already moved to respond to the sense that Disney (under ousted CEO Bob Chapek) was price-gouging at the theme parks. Avatar: The Way of Water is still rolling — just the kind of megahit that can drive many aspects of Disney business and there are more sequels ahead. And China just agreed to give valuable release dates for Marvel movies generally. (Not only are we extremely unlikely to see any Chinese villains but presumably the talent will be well-schooled to watch their words.)
--- End quote ---

Iger looking to maximize profits after Chapek was soiling that Disney park reputation. Pushing the missing Marvel movies into the Chinese Cinema seems like an easy win for both sides.

BlackNMild2k1:
Guardians of the Galaxy 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqcncLPi9zw

I'm sure this will be fun as usual. A farewell tour for this group (as a group at least) and James Gunn as well.

BlackNMild2k1:
The Marvels trailer has finally arrived.....

and picks up right where Ms. Marvel left off!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuk77TjvfmE

Honestly, looks fun.
Ms. Marvel was a mixed bag but the beginning and end were fun enough.
Kamala freaking out and fan girling from scene to scene is pretty funny though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version