Author Topic: Ubisoft CEO praises Nintendo  (Read 4895 times)

Offline mef

• NWR Staff Writer
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Ubisoft CEO praises Nintendo
« on: November 08, 2007, 09:19:16 AM »
French publisher striving for "Nintendo-like quality" in future releases.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=14763

At the BMO Capital Markets' Annual Interactive Entertainment Conference in New York City on Tuesday, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot delivered a presentation that was not short on praise for Nintendo.  He was particularly enamored with Nintendo's success in both the handheld and console markets, as well as their strategy of attracting casual gamers outside of the usual hardcore gaming market.    

"[Nintendo's mass market strategy] is very profitable for Nintendo, and very profitable for all third-party publishers," he said.  "...Because [the strategy] is working, we create more product [for Nintendo platforms] and this will actually bring more people into the industry.  The Wii is going to continue to do extremely well with no limit to growth."    

Ubisoft is actively funneling resources into Wii development, with 400-500 people currently working for the France-based publisher on various Nintendo projects.  Guillemot believes that by next year, Ubisoft will be achieving "Nintendo-like quality" with their Wii games.    

He also revealed some figures on the current costs of development, stating that DS games only need to sell around 100,000 units to become profitable.  By comparison, a game developed for PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 has to sell upwards of 1.3 million units to achieve profitability.      

Ubisoft's upcoming Wii releases include multiple games in the Petz franchise, as well as a sequel to last year's party game hit Rayman: Raving Rabbids.

Michael Flynn, Staff Writer
Nintendo World Report

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Ubisoft CEO praises Nintendo
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 09:33:53 AM »
I'll believe this so called strive for quality when I see it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Ubisoft CEO praises Nintendo
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 09:46:12 AM »
The fact that he's acknowledging the need for quality is a huge plus in and of itself.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 10:02:02 AM »
Words. Nothing but sweet, sweet words that turn into bitter orange Petz games in my ears.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 10:06:43 AM »
For the record, I believe that BG&E or PoP quality applied to RedSteel 2 could result in a stellar game, but time will tell.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 10:13:26 AM »
That would first require committing funds and their top non-Shanghai dev teams to the project.

But they'll probably meet that halfway and produce the best Horse Riding game imaginable.  With said funding and non-Shanghai dev teams.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 10:20:28 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
For the record, I believe that BG&E or PoP quality applied to RedSteel 2 could result in a stellar game, but time will tell.

Well, sure, but it's clear that the dollar signs in his eyes are focused on the casual audience Nintendo's found, like he's forgotten how well Red Steel sold at launch.  Of course, I don't really think Ubisoft's got nearly 500 people working on non-games, because they simply can't require that much manpower.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 11:02:41 AM »
"Guillemot believes that by next year, Ubisoft will be achieving 'Nintendo-like quality' with their Wii games."

AH HA HA HA HA!!  Yeah right.  Being "Nintendo-like" is a rarity that only the most talented devs achieve and often only for a few years before they decline.  Ubisoft has never been what I consider an elite developer in terms of quality and I really doubt they're suddenly going to be in a year.  Nintendo has been one of the top five game designers in the world since 1985 (or possibly even 1981).  I can't think of a time where Ubisoft would be one of the top five.  Hell it's not only about being good but being influencial and innovative.  Ubisoft?  Come on.

If they want to try that's good but the problem is I don't believe they will.  Ubisoft is the European EA.  They come across as too corporate so I don't trust them.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 07:31:11 PM »
How can Ubi make their games good? Delay them.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 07:36:04 PM »
I may be mistaken, but to be "Nintendo like" shouldn't Ubisoft first focus on beating EA in quality on Wii?  

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 08:59:29 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
I may be mistaken, but to be "Nintendo like" shouldn't Ubisoft first focus on beating EA in quality on Wii?

What the hell have EA done for me lately?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 09:29:56 PM »
Godfather, SSX, Medal of Honor 2, and Madden to name four.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 10:33:33 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Godfather, SSX, Medal of Honor 2, and Madden to name four.

Now name me an EA game worth buying.

Oh yeah, Rayman 2 will be a much more enjoyable game than any of those, except for those of you who have offrine friends.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 02:44:07 AM »
Ubi will show all of you their "Nintendo-like" quality with the release of BG&E2 this upcoming spring.

Offline sirfire

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 03:53:05 PM »
haha Nintendo quality like no stock, no free support, no local phone calls.

Yes thats great quality.
I hate it when there NO responsibility in businesses practices!

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 04:08:55 PM »

Originally posted by: sirfire
haha Nintendo quality like no stock, no free support, no local phone calls.

Yes thats great quality.

Bumping a month plus old topic to troll and not bothering to proof read your signature to the point of humor?

Ha ha... priceless

Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 04:11:12 PM »
Nintendo quality like no red rings of death, consistently highly-acclaimed games, and accessible entertainment.

Sirfire, I think your lack of Nintendo support is really due to your being situated in Australia. Nintendo of America actually has a pretty solid reputation with regards to customer service. They're sending out free Wii jackets, free Wii straps, they do a lot of replacements under warranty and even replacements not under warranty sometimes! Nintendo's difficulties in Europe and Australia are well documented and indeed disconcerting... but from my personal experiences in the US they're quite respectable.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video