Author Topic: have you seen the ring  (Read 8617 times)

Offline RahXephon

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
have you seen the ring
« on: April 15, 2003, 09:22:50 PM »
I just watched it and i thought, "finally a movie that is scary."  I mean you dont need blood and guts to scare people, you need twisted bizzare stuff.  Just wanna say it is now on my top 10 list.  If you havent seen it, watch it ALONE at NIGHT, with NO SOUNDS to bother you.  I keep on waiting for my phone to ring......

......7 days....................
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 09:39:46 PM »
Heh.  I was terrified all the night I watched it.  I went to the bar rigth after seeing it though, so the alcohol took some of the edge off.  It truly is a good movie though.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Michael_82

• View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2003, 08:21:08 AM »
See, I really didn't care for it.  It just didn't seem to wrap the story up in the end, I was left with many questions.  In my opinion, the scariest movie I have seen in a LONG time was Signs, it also had a nice double meaning to it too.  

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2003, 08:47:39 AM »
Neither of those movies really scared me. I laughed my ass off during signs to be frank about it.

If you iked the ring though you might as well check out the ringu stuff, it wasn't bad.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2003, 09:08:32 AM »
signs is my favorite movie, and was really good, i agree with that.  It was suspensful i would say more than scary.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Chris1228

• View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2003, 09:12:36 AM »
I loved both movies. They both had a freaky Alfred Hitchcock feel to them. Both proved you didn't need Billion dollar special effects to make a good scary movie.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2003, 02:06:32 PM »
I hated Signs.  It seemed like a horror movie taken over by the Jehovah's Witnesses or something like that.  I go to movies to be entertained, not converted.  And the ending was a complete let-down.

Michael, you might want to try watching the original Japanese version of The Ring.  It wraps up the story a lot better, and many people prefer it to the US version.  However, I prefer the US version, as I just think it was better done and was scarier.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Michael_82

• View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2003, 03:58:58 PM »
Thanks for the info Grey Ninja, I'll try to check that version out somehow.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2003, 06:33:01 PM »
see my sig

damn, i sleep 4ft from my tv...its parralel to my bed.....the images of the girl with her mouth all open in the closet just creep me out. and wehn that bitch crawls out the tv all creepy like...FUCK! I turn off my power strip every night. The girl didnt die until she came across a tv that was plugged in. Any movie that makes you fear something that you never feared before is good. Its kinda like how jaws made people fear the water when it came out.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2003, 06:55:37 PM »
Oh MAN! Words can't describe the fear that was coursing through my nerves when I was watching this at the movies last year.
I thought the movie was goona suck after seeing the beginning, the two girls talking about the video and faking death. But then the really creepy death scene set it up to be my creepiest movie ever...and no blood and guts to be found! Even the girl wasn't a bloody corspe of walking flesh. Just a VERY creepy walking girl with water-warped skin and her hair combed in front of her face. Really creepy.

Coming out of the TV was the scariest part, especially when she 'blinks' out and the appears right in front of him. I also think that seeing the footage from the video in the real world was pretty creepy.

The coolest part of The Ring was the way they marketed it on the net. A week before the movie came out (seven days - big significance), they release the actual footage from the video, direct feed. You could actually watch it. And see, seven days, if you survived long enough to see the movie, or died a horrifying death.

I actually downloaded the video after I saw the movie. This was late at night, and I got it form IGN FilmForce. I watched it, and then the phone rang. Geez! You should seen me jump! Funny, cause it turned out to be my friend asking if I wanted to see Dreamcatcher!

I saw the Japanese version, but since I saw it AFTER i saw the US, it just sucked.
I think it's prettuy cool how they're doing a sequel, although they're not re-making one from one of the many Japanese sequels, or prequel.

Four years ago, I saw The 6th Sense.
Three years ago, I saw What Lies Beneath.
Two Years ago, I saw The Others.
Last year, I saw The Ring, and Signs.
This year, I saw Dreamcatcher.

The Ring definitely rules above all those.  
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2003, 08:19:18 AM »
so glad this many people enjoyed it.  I mean it was PG-13 and was the scariest movie to date.  I cant begin to explain my distase for stupid horror flics that have blood spraying and people being eaten and all.  The story in the ring, too, was just so good i couldn't believe it.  I was up at 4 am, just finisihing a paper, and i got the image of the girl in the closet in my head, couldn't sleep.  Kept imagining  that ring flashing before my eyes.  I thought the story made it even scarier.  Everything made tooo much sense.  it was like, it felt so real like i was there.  I hope we see more films like this.

THAT VIDEO TAPE WAS SO DISTURBING, I FELT SICK IN THE STOMACHE.  and not cause of it being gross, but just like the chair spinning and the latter falling, and thing from the guys throat.

My friend is watching it at my hose tonight, i almost dont wanna show him cause it is so scary

P.S.  A movie that was abit graphic, but had a fraky concept, Event Horizon.
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2003, 11:41:47 AM »
I didnt think it was exactly a good plot.

Lets review:

An abused girl somehow takes over a technology not yet invented and puts a spell on it that kills you. Everyone around her dies. Hmmm.....

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2003, 02:56:35 PM »
It was rated PG-13 there?
I think you guys have wierd rating systems.
The Ring was rated MA15+.

And I saw that movies like Dreamcatcher and The Matrix Reloaded were rated R there.
Dreamcatcher was reated MA15+ here and Matrix 2 will probably be M or MA. The 1st Matrix was only rated M.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline AdvancedGamer

• View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2003, 05:00:29 PM »
Have you seen Darkness Falls... That movie sucked so much. The preview made it look like it was gonna be a scary movie like the Ring but it was horrible. Don't see it... or bitch about it if u have.
Video Games-
Why waste good technology on medicine and science?

Now Playing: Zelda: TP (GC)
Mario Kart (DS)
NSMB (DS)

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
have you seen the ring
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2003, 10:22:52 AM »
Personally I don't find any movie really scarry. I was laughing through the Ring because it was so unrealistic. The only thing that scares me is real life experiences.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2003, 11:05:59 AM »

Originally posted by: BlkPaladin
Personally I don't find any movie really scarry. I was laughing through the Ring because it was so unrealistic. The only thing that scares me is real life experiences.

God, I really need to get off of forums so I am still unique.

Offline GoHuskers

• View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2003, 01:37:35 PM »
I didn't think it was the scariest movie ever, but it was still a little on the creepy side.

BTW, I've read that on the DVD version if you highlight the "Don't watch this" section or whatever on the main menu, push down twice until the little cursor disappears, and press select it shows something weird. Is this just some stupid made up thing or is there really something that happens?

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2003, 11:14:56 AM »
It's a good movie, but not as scary as I presumed.  Guess I expected much more...cool ending though.
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Mistress

• View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2003, 06:25:59 AM »
I haven't seen the remake of The Ring yet, but would like to, as I have seen the Japanese original and very much enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it scared me, although it was creepy in places and I definitely enjoyed it as something a bit different.

Offline SSJBonacci2

• View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2003, 10:45:01 AM »
That was a good movie that made me look behind me for a couple weeks. I watched it alone at around 3 in the morning in the dark (did the same with Resident Evil which also had me looking behind). To set the people straight who said there was no blood... In that "weird video that kills you" it showed someones finger stabed through with a nail or somthing which then ripped the fingernail off. And on to the person who said "An abused girl somehow takes over a technology not yet invented and puts a spell on it that kills you. Everyone around her dies" well its not really a spell so to speak... The people all get killed by the little girl just like the guy at the end did. The best part is the scene on the boat lmfao that was soo funny the horse got soo broke jumping off lol..
I am the prince of all Sayains once again!!!!

THE DAY IS SOON WHEN CHRIST WILL RETURN!!!! WILL YOU BE WITH HIM?!? GET READY!!!

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2003, 11:21:32 AM »
Yes I know that she came out of the tv, but it still doesn't make it seem any less ridiculous.

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2003, 02:55:12 PM »
Yeah but still that movie scared the $hit out of me.  I watched it so late at night with all the lights off,  oh man that freaked me.  I gotta question though, was there a second ending to that movie, cause one of my friends said there was...

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2003, 03:50:40 PM »
I don't remember one from Ringu, but there amy have been.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
have you seen the ring
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2003, 09:04:39 PM »
Hey someone agrees with me that the movie makes no sense whatsoever and is quite ridiculous. Im glad I'm not the only one.

personally i'm not into Horror movies, i dont understand why some people like to be scared. But hey, I saw the ring, it was hell scary but I thought it sucked because it made no sense and the ending was pure and utter trash. I also though the ending wasn't really that scary, I could tell she would walk through the tv, only the blinking in and out bit scared me at the end. I thought the scariest part was halfway through the film when the main character dreams that she's on the phones and the phone cuts out and it drips and the girl is sitting in her chair or something. I closed my eyes.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2003, 12:12:20 PM »
ok, somebody a while back said the ending to signs was crap.  i loved it.  maybe you don't get it.  the guy( can't rememebr his name) is losing faith in GOd because of the aleins, and more and more bad things seem to happen.  the scene at the climax where the camera zooms out so you can see a room filled with water was great.  Get it?  the water thing wasn't just a coincidence... and umm, little boy (the only name i can remember is Bo, weird) was having a severe asthma attack because they forgot is inhaler in the basement.  being completely freaked out by the hand on his throat triggered it.  so when the poison gas was fed into his nose, he didn't breathe it in because his lungs were blocked...coincidence?  if you didn't get that, you're an idiot.  if you didn't like that, you're weird.  vene i probabl;y don't understand everything that happened in the movie, and if i did, it would be  even better.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
have you seen the ring
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2003, 12:59:53 PM »
I didn't like it because it was just stupid. Allergic to water, yet on a planet that is 70% water. And whats this humidity? they would have rotted alive...

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
RE: have you seen the ring
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2003, 09:05:05 PM »
instead of trying to scare us with plots that scare you by making you feel dumb when you try to deciphor them why dont they go back to stabbing people through toilet cubicles and stuff like that. That said I didn't like that either, the horror genre is pretty stupid IMO.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.