Author Topic: RFN RetroActive #26: Ys Book I&II (Official Discussion)  (Read 41243 times)

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive #26: Ys Book I&II (Official Discussion)
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2013, 08:56:18 AM »
Charging??? Homing effect???

Fireball???
Gouge away.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2013, 11:52:23 PM »
Charging??? Homing effect???

Fireball???

Heh. Are those abilities limited to later versions of the game?  I'm playing the version on Steam. 

Here's a video of the boss fight where someone is using both of those abilities.

Granted, I just call it a homing ability.  You can sort of see that some of the fireball shots have an arc, but the capability to connect with the target is limited.  Still, I have found both abilities to be useful in my own game, particularly against this boss.

EDIT:  I take back what I said upthread.  Solomon Shrine and the surrounding canals are confusing and interminable.   The amount of backtracking needed for all the macguffins to get to the next area make things much, much worse.  I've enjoyed the game overall, but I'm quite ready to be done with it all. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:22:12 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline pPatko

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/pual-patro
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2013, 01:55:52 PM »
Great Retroactive everyone!   ;D
Finished the game yesterday and didn't even know about the fireball charging.  The homing, however was more than plenty powerful.
...until you get to the final boss.  "Oh, right.  I have a sword!"  That boss must have taken me beyond 100 attempts over the span of a week.  So brutal.  Initially I thought it was entirely luck-based but I eventually got better at dodging those marbles raining down on you.  My eventual conquest almost took me by surprise.  And there was much rejoicing.  The ridiculous ending was rewarding enough... I guess.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2013, 02:19:13 PM »
@pPatko

Congrats. Yeah, I totally agree. This was one of the better retroactives.

I very much look forward to the next one. We all agreed to play Ufouria, right?  ;D
Gouge away.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2013, 08:43:02 AM »
Ooooh, I never played Ufouria.  I'd play along with that!

After all the references to Crystalis, I wish that could be next on the list.  It's a shame that it has never made an appearance on any of Nintendo's digital shops.  I'd even (maybe) consider getting the flawed Gameboy Color version.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »
Hey guys, I made a big boo-boo, and saved while in Darm Tower on top of a bad guy. Now when I load, I die instantly.

Does anyone have a save file that you can post the password around Darm Tower (I'm at floor 9, but I'll take anything around there) or maybe an invincibility cheat I can put in for a minute to avoid dying instantly?

Any help would be great, thanks.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior