Author Topic: No Online for Metroid 3  (Read 13510 times)

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: No Online for Metroid 3
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 10:47:19 AM »
Metroid Prime Hunters really wasn't a bad game, but I'm not disappointed that online isn't included for MP3..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 11:00:40 AM »
they never promised such thing, and the SP portion will be top-notch, so I couldn't care less about the lack of multiplayer
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:No Online for Metroid 3
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2007, 11:20:07 AM »

Originally posted by: darknight06
If I'm not mistaken Red Steel 2 is supposed to be online and as long as they do a better job this time than they did the last I don't see why that wouldn't be enough.

Haha. This is Red Steel we're talking about. "Enough" is... sorta... stratospheric...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 11:28:30 AM »
This gives me an idea.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2007, 12:39:27 PM »
Well, the game will be great, no doubt, but with all this demand for a Wii-make compilation of the first two, Retro, or perhaps a newer scrub studio could attempt on revamping the control and graphics of the first two games, while also working on a multi-player aspect.

That's an option I think Nintendo will consider, but I have to say, I think Retro is about ready to do something a bit new and different, and I don't exactly see HAL or EAD developing a rich first-person shooter multi-player experience happily.  I imagine they'd want a Western developer, since the game is an FPS/FPA, but really, I don't think Nintendo likes to work with Western devs using their own IP.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2007, 01:21:11 PM »
There is going to be a major race to be the first online FPS on the Wii once Nintendo really opens the door and lets developers fully understand how the online strategy for the Wii works.

I am really excited for Red Steel 2, and I hope that the team actually creates a better experience than what was available for the first game.  However, I am sure many developers are waiting for Metroid Prime 3 and are waiting to see how Retro designs its game.  It will obviously be the most polished FPS to date...and many developers will copy the feel of its controls.

Offline UniversalJuan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2007, 04:38:18 PM »
Imagine, if you will, the pre-order bonus for Metroid Prime 3 is a Wii-tooled Metroid Prime Hunters. NST could handle the porting and then everyone could have the lovely cake that will be Prime 3 and the lucious frosting that is Hunters: Wii Edition. But alas, it is merely one fan's silly dream.
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline ShineGet887

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2007, 04:51:47 PM »
This doesn't really bother me because... * Prepares to be crucified * I've never really liked the Metroid games. It's not like I haven't tried to, heck, I own Zero Mission, Prime, Echoes, Super Metroid, and Metroid. I don't know what it is, but the whole gameplay style of the series never really appealed to me, I guess I'm just more of a Mario kinda guy.

Anyway, while I don't really have a dog in this fight, I don't see why any self-respecting Metroid fan could be upset about this development. It's a single player series, and it should stay a single player series.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2007, 05:11:36 PM »
You didn't even like Super Metroid?! ::prepares the cross:: ~_^

Offline ShineGet887

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2007, 05:54:05 PM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro
You didn't even like Super Metroid?! ::prepares the cross:: ~_^

Yeah, I don't know what it is about the series I could never get into, it's not that I don't think they're good games, I guess it's just not my style. Heck, a buddy of mine can't get into Zelda for the same reason, and we're both life-long Nintendo fans.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2007, 06:00:08 PM »
I have trouble getting into the 3D Zeldas, but I love most of the 2D ones.  I can't imagine why you wouldn't like Super Metroid, though.  To each his own, I suppose.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2007, 06:09:16 PM »
I still want that Mii based first person shooter we had the idea about a while ago.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2007, 06:17:38 PM »
It's cool ShineGet I'm just playin =)

To each their own, not everyone will like the same games, I mean I don't really get into the Final Fantasy games for example, though many of my friends LOVE the series I just can't get into it like them.

Oh and I know what you mean thatguy even though I love Zelda, truth be told I didn't like OoT all that much. I often get yelled at for how amazing it was but I felt the games concepts were ahead of the technology and WW and TP do a better job refining the gameplay and representing Zelda in 3D.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2007, 06:51:22 PM »
Why is it alright for a developer to release a fps that only has online and yet not for them to release one that only has single player?  I want to hear the bitching about Battlefield having no single player campaign.  Metroid has always been about big single player experiences so no complaints from me.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2007, 08:06:07 PM »
NO ONLINE, YES!

THIS IS JUSTICE
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2007, 08:08:37 PM »
Online only suggests (but does not guarantee) better, if not infinite, replay value. That's why.

Nintendo fans want their Halo. The Prime series is in 1st person so its natural to put the two together. I'd rather Retro make their own original FPS so they're free to do what they want and no Metroid fan can say, "That's not Metroid!" I think an original IP is doable by Winter 2009. Long ways off, but I like what I've heard about Prime 3 and I wouldn't want the game to be pushed back any further just so they can add multiplayer.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2007, 08:20:50 PM »
Well I know their initial stance on the Wii is that it is too weak to do what they want but . . .

Free Radical Design could always end up making TimeSplitters 4 on Wii. Personally I like the TimeSplitter games (well future perfect specifically) more than Halo. I would love to see what they could do with the Wii and it's controls.

Though an original first or second party IP would be awesome.  

Offline ShineGet887

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2007, 08:36:40 PM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
Why is it alright for a developer to release a fps that only has online and yet not for them to release one that only has single player?  I want to hear the bitching about Battlefield having no single player campaign.  Metroid has always been about big single player experiences so no complaints from me.

I don't even consider the Prime series true FPS' though, they're more or less action adventure games from a first person perspective, and while they may share -some- FPS characteristics, they're far more exploration-based.  

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2007, 08:59:11 PM »
Only people who don't know what the hell they're talking about consider the Prime games first person shooters. That's not even tongue-in-cheek either.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2007, 09:11:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Adrock
Online only suggests (but does not guarantee) better, if not infinite, replay value. That's why.

Nintendo fans want their Halo. The Prime series is in 1st person so its natural to put the two together. I'd rather Retro make their own original FPS so they're free to do what they want and no Metroid fan can say, "That's not Metroid!" I think an original IP is doable by Winter 2009. Long ways off, but I like what I've heard about Prime 3 and I wouldn't want the game to be pushed back any further just so they can add multiplayer.

I agree with you, I want to see Retro create an original IP, in fact I think Nintendo NEEDS them to in order to help push Nintendo into the next generation with an IP that can suck in "gamers" who aren't into Nintendo's current IPs (I think you have to be nuts to not enjoy a good Nintendo IP but hey you have to do what you have to do). It could even be a Halo killer, or better yet maybe they can tackle another genre entirely that will have mass "hardcore" appeal.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2007, 09:24:58 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

or better yet maybe they can tackle another genre entirely that will have mass "hardcore" appeal.

Hmm. . . Raven Blade anyone?  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2007, 09:26:51 PM »

or better yet maybe they can tackle another genre entirely that will have mass "hardcore" appeal.

Well I say if they can pull off a great game (I heard Raven Blade had a very shaky start) then they should go for it. Maybe with Miyamoto's guidance they can actually do it, like they did with Metroid Prime.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2007, 09:31:23 PM »

Well I say if they can pull off a great game (I heard Raven Blade had a very shaky start) then they should go for it. Maybe with Miyamoto's guidance they can actually do it, like they did with Metroid Prime.

Oh no doubt. Miyamoto's guidance and influence is always a good thing.

Plus the development team is (probably) more 'matured' since working on these past 3 Metroid titles, I'm sure they learned a lot of what works and what doesn't and it'll definitely help with whatever title they tackle next.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2007, 05:04:46 AM »
I'm sure Retro learned a lot more than Silicon Knights.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2007, 05:40:29 AM »
I know there are those who'll disagree, but if MP3's engine is as good as it has been sounding, Retro (or someone) could possibly take it and make an on-line only Metroid Prime 3.5 or such.  Or even use the engine and make a whole new game with a focus on online multiplayer.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.