Author Topic: No Online for Metroid 3  (Read 13590 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:No Online for Metroid 3
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2007, 05:54:22 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
I know there are those who'll disagree, but if MP3's engine is as good as it has been sounding, Retro (or someone) could possibly take it and make an on-line only Metroid Prime 3.5 or such.  Or even use the engine and make a whole new game with a focus on online multiplayer.

Sounds like and needs more Metroid Prime Hunters 2.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: No Online for Metroid 3
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2007, 07:10:52 AM »
Excellent news.  Anything that keeps the FPS fans out of Metroid Prime is a good thing.  Those who b!tch about a game that was never supposed to play like an FPS are no different than those who back in 1998 b!tched that Ocarina of Time didn't have a jump button.  The only difference is Nintendo gave those people several 3D platformers so they got off Zelda's back and they haven't given us a real FPS so people want to turn Metroid into one.  Metroid should remain Metroid.  It's not a game for everybody and I don't think it ever should be because I think that would require it to lose a lot of what gives it its appeal.  Still I DO want a good FPS from Nintendo and have ever since Nintendo lost Rare, and thus lost Perfect Dark.  It would best for everyone if Nintendo made that FPS and made it a new IP.  Then everyone would get what they want and not both be trying to dictate the direction of one franchise they seem to be forced to share.  I don't even think the FPS people necessarily want a Metroid FPS.  I think they just want ANY FPS (that's what I want anyway) so it's not like a new IP would bomb or anything.

Retro would also probably do a fantastic job of an original FPS.  Considering they've done three Metroids in a row I think it's ideal for them to have a break and make something different.  After all back when Metroid was only a trilogy there was only one game per system so it's not like the Wii will need another Metroid Prime game after this one.  The Wii is selling so well Nintendo can take the risk and have Retro work on something else.  Besides Metroid Prime is never going to be the system seller they want it to be.  It's too, well, GOOD for lack of a better term.

And I'm not anti-online I just see no need to include it when it's not needed, particularly when those calling for it don't really want a real Metroid game in the first place.  Now if SSB or Mario Kart or F-Zero are revealed to not be online you're going to hear me b!tching because in that case not going online makes no sense.  Online is like 3D.  When it makes sense it's awesome but there's a time and place for it and too often people just demand it because it's new and modern and popular.  Motion control is also slowing becoming like this as everyone just asks for it whether it makes sense to use it or not.

Offline UERD

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2007, 07:30:42 AM »
I'd like to eventually see a kick-ass online Wii-mote FPS on the Wii sometime with great atmosphere and fluid, exciting play. I just don't think this game needs to be that particular game.

Instead of taking an existing franchise and making it something it's not, I'd like to see a developer step up to the plate and take the challenge of making a whole new FPS franchise that fluidly integrates online play and the controller.
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2007, 08:30:38 AM »
"Excellent news. Anything that keeps the FPS fans out of Metroid Prime is a good thing."

We agree on something.

Too bad that nemo guy isn't here anymore LAFFO
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2007, 08:52:51 AM »
The MP2 multiplayer was bad so why would anyone want to play MP3 in multiplayer, anyway?

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2007, 05:10:51 PM »
The more I think about it the more I realize everyone is trying to pigeon hole games into a specific category.  A first person view doesn't mean a game has to be based on twitch game play.  Games of all sorts should be able to be played though all kinds of perspective.  The press and many people want to force it to be like other games though and I think that is bad for games overall.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
To be fair though, a FPS doesn't mean it has to be based on twitch game play either...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
Complaining about a lack of multiplayer in Metroid (online or off) is ridiculous because you're essentially asking Retro to make two games in one.

Prime 2 proved that that style of gameplay is not conducive to multiplayer. Making Metroid into a great multiplayer experience would require changing the basic formula into something completely different.

Metroid Prime Hunters made for an excellent multiplayer game, but was lacking in the single player mode because they designed it first and foremost as a FPS, and that just doesn't translate well for Metroid.

I wonder if it's ever going to sink in that the term "First Person Adventure" isn't just some nonsense buzzword made up by Nintendo. Did Deus Ex suffer from a lack of multiplayer?
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2007, 09:07:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Urkel
Did Deus Ex suffer from a lack of multiplayer?

Deus Ex had multiplayer.
GOREGASM!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2007, 12:29:37 AM »
Though there is really no reason to argue my point further, Metroid as an online FPS most certainly works and MPH is a great indicator of that. The only thing that really killed that game was Alt-Forms. If you played with other people who barred using those moves from the game in the capacity many people were using them, the game was a ton of fun. I'm sure something similar could've been included in MP3 and it too would've been fun. Sure it would've meant more development time, and that may not be feasible which I can understand, but to say that multiplayer just doesn't belong in Metroid is kind of ridiculous.

If I was to get a different FPS from Nintendo I would be pretty happy, but not getting online in Metroid is disappointing because it is a unique game that bears some similarity to an FPS that could have a very compelling online component that is like no other FPS out there. A Metroid online FPS multiplayer mode is far more interesting to me than some crappy online WWII FPS game, or that hunk of sh!t, Halo 3.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2007, 01:28:53 AM »
MPH was barely any more of a Metroid game than Super Smash Bros. is.  The only thing MPH demonstrates is how to dilute a franchise.
GOREGASM!

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2007, 03:32:14 AM »
wasn't Geist multiplayer fun? thats what I've read as the only good thing of the game...
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2007, 03:37:20 AM »
I would like a Metroid multiplayer game, but only in the Metroid universe. It doesn't need to have any relation to Samus or even bear the Metroid title.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2007, 03:41:19 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
wasn't Geist multiplayer fun? thats what I've read as the only good thing of the game...

Geist single player was insanely awesome.

You got to possess a pile of plates and fling them into a chef's face, possess grenades and make them roll up to people and explode and possess a showerhead in a women's locker room.

Geist is easily the #1 game I'd recommend be ported to the Wii. The only complaint I ever heard about the game was about the analogue control. An updated port, especially one with online play, would be awesome.

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
The MP2 multiplayer was bad so why would anyone want to play MP3 in multiplayer, anyway?

Because Metroid Hunters' multiplayer was excellent.

I'd like NST to port MPH to the Wii, personally. I'd buy that in a heartbeat whereas I have zero intention of buying MP3.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Excellent news.  Anything that keeps the FPS fans out of Metroid Prime is a good thing.

Anything that keeps people who don't own a Wii from talking about it as if they do would also be a good thing.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2007, 03:48:56 AM »
ARGH NO!

NO MORE PORTS! even this game I haven't played, make Geist 2, polish it, improve on it, retain what worked and dropped what it didn't, why is everyone so damn fixated on ports!!? stop approving Nintendo's laziness.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2007, 03:59:39 AM »
A port is when a company releases an already-established game onto a console at full price, like Ubi did with pretty much everything.

An update is when they rerelease a game with a budget price and some more features, generally done if the game didn't achieve it's full potential before.

Iwata said they were considering rereleasing some GC titles with budget pricing on the Wii.

I almost assume RE4 was the first of this. It's only a travesty when they charge full price for it. There'd be nothing wrong with a $30 Wii-enabled Eternal Darkness, MGS: Twin Snakes and Geist.

All of these games have one thing in common: none of them got the press they deserved and were excellent games. A Wii rerelease could get people who previously had no idea these games even existed to give them a try and even look forward to a sequel.

The ironic truth? ED, MGS and Geist could be given Wii-releases and I'd guess that a healthy 40% of Wii owners who buy them wouldn't even realize that these are ports of old games because the GC was so much lower in profile. These games have a much, MUCH better chance of selling to the Wii fanbase than that of the GC and can only be improved by Wii controls.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2007, 04:48:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_BrotherA port is when a company releases a game onto another console.

fixed that for you, stop trying to make excuses for such crappy decisions, thats up for their PR, not us their consumers, we should demand quality, and ports aren't quality for a console whose whole philosophy is to provide new experiences, period.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2007, 05:26:06 AM »
The only crappy decision by most 3rd parties was to not support the Wii right out of the gate.

If it's a choice between playing a Wii-aiming enabled RE4 or nothing, I'll take RE4 over letting my Wii gather dust.

And my point isn't that ports are a great idea. My point is that a lot of games (RE4 included) got the shaft when it came to sales because they floundered on the GC. Those games could stand to be brought back just to give them an ACTUAL chance to shine.

I agree that just ports won't cut it, but I cannot fathom these ports getting in the way of regular development when Nintendo has so much money to throw around.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2007, 08:46:01 AM »
I think it's a minor shame that this isn't included.  For one thing I kinda liked the multiplayer in MP2 (weird I guess) and for another thing, if adding a more traditional FPS multiplayer mode to the game increases sales and helps out Wii, why not?

I understand that it's a crime against the purity of Metroid, but not being a huge Metroid fan, I don't care.

On the other hand I think the "OMG, this game NEEDS to be the definitive online FPS that proves Wii" camp is overreacting too.  The system is selling amazingly well without such a game, and a tailor-made FPS (maybe even Red Steel 2 if they fix the controls) would probably have a bigger impact.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline therat

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2007, 07:29:10 PM »
meow couchmonkey

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2007, 01:35:50 PM »
Hunters is a game that features a multiplayer mode with no balance whatsoever and un-interesting maps. The single player side of things manages to be even worse then that. It is not good. Saying you had fun playing it with friends is not a valid argument as to why it is good. Any piece of sh*t game can be fun with friends.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2007, 02:36:07 PM »
Conflict: Desert Storm is a perfect example. The first game on XBox was AWESOME 4-player co-op with your best frienda and pulling an all-nighter.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2007, 03:55:31 PM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
I think it's a minor shame that this isn't included.  For one thing I kinda liked the multiplayer in MP2 (weird I guess) and for another thing, if adding a more traditional FPS multiplayer mode to the game increases sales and helps out Wii, why not?

I understand that it's a crime against the purity of Metroid, but not being a huge Metroid fan, I don't care.

On the other hand I think the "OMG, this game NEEDS to be the definitive online FPS that proves Wii" camp is overreacting too.  The system is selling amazingly well without such a game, and a tailor-made FPS (maybe even Red Steel 2 if they fix the controls) would probably have a bigger impact.

I found the multi to have more space then needed.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2007, 05:37:18 PM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R
That was the only thing that would have made me consider buying it.

Everyone said this (including myself) about Hunters, but still nobody (including myself) bought it.

they shouldnt even put wifi on the wii and sold it for 100$.

No then we wouldn't have the greatest online experience ever aka Mario Strikers.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2007, 07:33:11 PM »
Oh man, this news just made my day.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).