Author Topic: PlayStation 3 will use Blue-Ray discs  (Read 9912 times)

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:PlayStation 3 will use Blue-Ray discs
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2004, 06:00:31 PM »

Originally posted by: manunited4eva22

No the only thing that needs to go well for it infact is if playstation 3 does half as well as playstation 2 has done, then in 2 years time the burners will be a couple hundred.

This is what I am referring to.  You back up ifs with yes it will happen.

BTW can I see a link where Dell and HP say that they will put the burners in desktops? That's really what I would like to see.

There, I just clipped my post with the only thing that needs to happen, as I have stated many times over now.  And I will state it again, the only thing that needs to go well is for PS3 to do half as well as PS2 has done.  That is not an if.  That will happen.  I never stated that computers will use them as burners, I said they plan to use Blue Ray.  Much in the same way that DVD's were used in computers far earlier before you saw DVD Burners in computers.  I read it in some computer magazine that they plan to use Blue Ray readers for their PC's.  And obviously this would make it very probable that BR burners could be introduced in PC's at a later time as well.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: PlayStation 3 will use Blue-Ray discs
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2004, 11:01:16 PM »
joe: Now you're arguing semantics. I'd say that even if 10-20 million PS2 users had maybe one or two legitimate games and the rest warezed, the sales numbers for PS2 games would still be very high. IMO the numbers for game sales on the PS2 vs. the installed base is vastly lower than those found on the other consoles, that might be casual games, that might be pirates and it's probably a bit of both.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:PlayStation 3 will use Blue-Ray discs
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2004, 04:01:06 PM »
How does PS3 push a medium?  The case is not sony wants you to feel free to upload your games to the internet.  Blu-ray needs a major backing from the dvd consortium to become the next dominent medium.  Until that happens it won't do well in the PC/movie industry.

A disc only used by a single console is not considered to be a major success.  You don't see PCs coming with drives that can read GODs just because Matsushita is producing it.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: PlayStation 3 will use Blue-Ray discs
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2004, 08:26:33 AM »
I'm not sure the tie in ratio is actually based on the installed base. Also, the PS2 is out a little longer than the Cube or XBox.