Author Topic: Anyone else disappointed in their Xbox?  (Read 6478 times)

Offline tonx

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Anyone else disappointed in their Xbox?
« on: February 07, 2003, 03:36:27 PM »
I got a Gamecube on release day and then my brother bought a Xbox bundle on release day with a one year warranty, if it wasn't for the warranty I would have been out of an Xbox months ago(I bought it off of him when he moved) yet my Gamecube hasn't broken down once! Anyone else have a similar experiance with a consle

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 05:23:48 PM »
Yeah, but not with a next-gen console.
My N64 actually froze when I was playing Perfect Dark sometine last year! Although I HAD been playing it for around 5 hours straight, that was totally unexpected.
My Gamecube is perfectly fine. I take VERY good care of it. After I finish playing, I unplug the power and video cords, and put it on the table (which looks great cause of the handle), and I put my controllers beside it. This is the first time I have ever taken such steps for a console. I have always left my N64/SNES/NES on the floor, where it always collects dust. Now, the Gamecube is spotless.

My friend has an Xbox, and it's pretty hard for him to carry it around places, and do what I do to take care of it. I have heard that in Japan, the Xbox console itself was chwing up game discs! Has this happened to anyone over here in Australia, Europe or Amercia? I would REALLY like to know.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline spartus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 05:27:16 PM »
I had a bad Xbox when I bought it (Dec. 2001) it just wouldn't turn on. My GameCube was also bad when I bought it (March 2002) wouldn't read a memory card. .

PS2 is a different story. I went though 2 launch ones before the third one worked. Then about 20 days after that it stopped reading my PS games and audio CD's.  So I had to get another one!

I guess I have bad luck with this gen. systems.  
My systems: Jaguar/Jaguar CD, Saturn, 3DO, N64, Dreamcast, Genesis, NES, SNES, GameCube, PS2, Xbox.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 06:47:24 AM »
GC: No problems.

2nd GC: No problems. (Yeah, we own two.)

XBox: No problems.

PS2: It broke after 6 months, had to get another.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 05:11:49 PM »
I've had my PS2 since day #1.  No problems.  I also had a first gen Japanese PS2 that worked fine (Ended up selling it).

My gamcube every once in a great while won't read the memory card or disk, but it's never been a big problem and just power off/on fixes it.

I got my Xbox thanks to a program at work that got me a free Gamecube, but since I didn't need 2 GC's I swaped it and paid $50 for the Xbox.  Being only a $50 investment, and thanks to Microsofts retail site have not had to pay for a single game, or Xbox Live, I really can't complain.  I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it, I don't think it's worth it.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Choke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 06:25:38 PM »
All of my consoles still work. Well... if you exclude the 2600 they all work as well as the day I bought them. My Cube and XBOX though have given my no troubles what so ever. I've had my cube since january last year and my xbox since november and they've both been working great since.

Offline uwvark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2003, 08:42:35 AM »
No troubles with the xbox, it's the damn PS2 that doesn't work worth a damn. I'll get real upset if I go into it but let's just say I'm not happy with Sony.
POWER, WISDOM, & COURAGE

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2003, 08:33:40 AM »
my gamecube died on me about 4 months after i got it (december of '01).  it wouldn't recognize any disc was in the tray no matter what game it was.  when i called nintendo support and gave them the s/n they sent fedex to pick up my old system and sent me a brand new one.  my guess is a batch of systems went out with bad/malfunctioning lasers.  anyone know anything about this?

i have no complaints though.  they sent me a brand new system free of charge and they didn't give me a hard time about it.  even when i accidentally spilled pop on my system they still fixed it for free.  way to go nintendo.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline oSiRiS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2003, 04:45:41 PM »
I am the grammar troll.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2003, 12:22:16 AM »
All of my consoles, including my NES and 2600 work pefectly.  Even my first-gen PSX that reportedly had something like a 6 week shelf life.   Well, I forgot, I actually had to do the screwdriver trick to the NES, then it worked perfectly.

EDIT:added a sentace

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2003, 12:40:12 PM »
Hmmm, no, you see--Xbox, very good consoul with few good games, GC excellent in everyway (except for lack of hardrivde, and both mine and my friends crappy little ps2s have broken in under a year! I hatre that, my gc was three months older than the ps2 yet the ps2 broke and the gc is fine and so is the xbox! And basically same thing happened to my fiends ps2 and hios brothers. Sad the console is so weak.... Oh well, I love both the gc and Xbiox, and the Dreamcast was a tight system.
"Just a little gift from your friendly nieghborhood evil doer." - Me.

~ If you like serious, good quality Zelda rpgs, AIM HeroPiccolo and I'll give you a link. ~

Offline Volvagia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2003, 01:20:35 PM »
I have had my cube since the day it came out with no problems...except one.  One time I was playing Metroid Prime and I was moving around in the pause menu so fast it made my cube freez.  But other than that It's worked great.

Offline 3_MaSteRPIeCE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2003, 02:52:15 PM »
My GCN and XBOX work perfectly.

I just have problems with games crashing.
Money for war but not enough to feed the poor - TuPac

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2003, 04:51:53 PM »
All of my consoles work just fine. My NES needs a bit of coaxing to run a game, but the only console that's died on me was my first Dreamcast. For some reason it just wouldn't recognize any disc whatsoever, music or game. Luckily a friend of my sister's had a Dreamcast he didn't play at all, so he gave it to me for free along with Chu Chu Rocket and Recrod Lodoss War. My Gamecube, PS2, N64, new Dreamcast, 2 Gameboys, GBA, and 2 NES's all work fine, though.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2003, 04:20:06 AM »
I have been disappointed by it because there is so few AAA games, which is good in some ways. I haven't had trouble with it yet but that is probally because its been sitting on the self  after my siblings and I beat the garbage out of each of the games. (The AAAs we have are Halo, JSRF, and PD_O we have a few other I thought were going to be good but ended up being burnt.) Another thing that bugs me is Xbox Live, I will never be able to be able to use it during the life of this console because we can only get Two-Way Satelite out here. (I live next to a federally protected forest but only 5 miles for a town. The next nearest town is over 10 miles and would cost a fortune getting Cable this far.)

I'm on my Second and Third Gamecube and had no problems with them except the first one had the drive defect that some had in the first shipment.

I"m on my second PS2. (Technically its my forth PSX ) Don't take it the wrong the way but I play PSX games on it more than PS2.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline SilverBack1138

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2003, 08:24:21 PM »
I've had my GCN sine July of '02 and my PS2 since Sept. of '02 and I play a fairly good amount on both systems.  I've never had a problem with either one so far and I love both of them.  Great systems with great games.

I had a problem with my SNES a while back where it would just die in the middle of a game.  I later found out that it wasn't the main system that had the problem, but my AC adapter.  I got a new one and it worked fine.  I also had a problem with my N64 when I got the first release of Turok 2 and I found out that it wasn't the system, but the game cartridge itself.  It keep locking up if I played more than 30 mins.

I've been satisfied with all my consoles and I still have each and everyone of them to this day.
Professional soldiers are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs.

Offline substrate

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2003, 07:31:13 AM »
The only game system I've had die on me is my NES and original Gameboy (It still works but lost 1/6th of the lcd screen after being left in a hot car).  My Playstaion does have that annoying FMV bug though.
(systems I own NES, SNES, Genesis, Playstation, GameCube, GameBoy Original/Pocket/Color).

What is the screwdriver NES trick, maybe that will get it working?

Offline dumdum

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2003, 10:33:14 AM »
nope im not dissapointed. im happy with it. Im just pissed cuz i my mom wont change phone companies and i cant get BB.

But if i do ill get xbox live that very same day along with snk vs capcom.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2003, 03:31:02 PM »
I don't have an Xbox, but as for my GC, it fell three or four feet onto hard tile fairly quickly (landing on the controller ports and front half of the cube) and it still works fine.  Durable system.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>