Author Topic: The Wind Waker to recieve "unprecedented" score from EGM.  (Read 11151 times)

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Wind Waker to recieve "unprecedented" score from EGM.
« on: February 06, 2003, 08:12:07 PM »
Turns B.S. meter on.

What in the blue-hell does this mean?  Unprecedented?  If I'm correct, EGM has already handed out perfect 10's before so what the hell could this mean?  10.5, 11, 10.5?  I hear a lot of BS about video games every day so all things heard I take with a grain of salt.  That being said, it is Zelda.  Could Zelda change the entire scale which video games are judged? "How bout NO".  In any event, I always like to pass on information when I hear it, no matter how abstract it may be.

Turns B.S. meter off.

Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Game_Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 09:19:11 PM »
I think "unprecedented" means it gets a low score, i HATE magazines/websites that try to be "different" by giving incredible games low reviews *cough* Gamesdomain *cough*. If its good, rate it highly, that what i think. Anyway, if there is any game that could get an 11, its Wind Waker, waiting for this game to come out is more painful than nailing my genitals to a railtrack and getting them run over by 100 trains!

Offline epicac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2003, 10:26:25 PM »
If someone's claiming it's "unprecedented" probably just means they're giving it straight tens. If I recall correctly EGM has three people review the game, and finding three people in the same room who dislike TWW is a rarity. I'm expecting 10, 9.5, 10 or something along those lines.

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 06:16:27 AM »
Well I didn't think about the score being super-low. Both Ocarina and Majora got straight 10's from EGM. Maybe it will be a super low score like "8.5" or "8.0".  I don't know but we will see in about two weeks won't we.  Not that it'll be that big a deal to me.  NO matter what the game scores, I'm buying it?
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 08:35:35 AM »
I doubt its really low, Famitsu gave it an awesome score why would EGM do the completly different thing? It has to be something like 20-20-20

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 10:35:07 AM »
If Vice City and Halo deserved their scores of 10-10-10, then Wind Waker, from what I've heard, deserves a 15-15-15. Hell, Famitsu gave it only it's 4th perfect score ever- the only other games to have garnered that kind of score from them are Soul Calibur, Vagrant Story, and of course, Ocarina of Time. That's no light comment.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2003, 10:57:25 AM »
Maybe they're going to give it all 0s.  I don't think that's ever happened before.

Seriously it probably just means they'll give it 10s.  Doesn't EGM give out Platinum awards for pefect games?  Maybe they're going to give it a Diamond award or something as a sort of special achievement thing.

"Maybe it will be a super low score like '8.5' or '8.0'."

Yeah because those 8.5 games are terrible!  An 8 is NOT a bad score.  It's actually a good score considering a lot of titles get in the 6s or 7s.  8 is only a bad score if the review is out of 15 or something.  If you only buy games that get 9s or higher you're not going to buy too many games.

Offline soap

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2003, 02:06:21 PM »
If this "unprecedented" score really exists, it'll probably be 10's from everybody on the EGM staff or at least a big chunk of them. That is, instead of just three 10's.

Offline Chrono

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2003, 02:21:01 PM »

Originally posted by: Nile Boogie
Turns B.S. meter on.

What in the blue-hell does this mean?  Unprecedented?  If I'm correct, EGM has already handed out perfect 10's before so what the hell could this mean?  10.5, 11, 10.5?  I hear a lot of BS about video games every day so all things heard I take with a grain of salt.  That being said, it is Zelda.  Could Zelda change the entire scale which video games are judged? "How bout NO".  In any event, I always like to pass on information when I hear it, no matter how abstract it may be.

Turns B.S. meter off.

Where did you even hear about this "unprecedented" score from EGM? Did you read about it somewhere?

Offline Oni_Link

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2003, 03:10:16 PM »
I think the Wind Waker would break record scores. I already know that it is gonna get perfect scores from everybody. It did with Famitsu, and they are pretty strickt, being the fourth game ever in Famitsu history to get a perfect score.
"May The Way Of The Hero Lead To The Triforce."

-----The Legend of Zelda

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2003, 07:23:51 PM »

Where did you even hear about this "unprecedented" score from EGM? Did you read about it somewhere?

It was sent to me in an e-mail news letter from a local(here in philly) import/bootleg/mod store.  Lots of hush-hush stuff goes on in that store, I think they smoke too much "gooddie", but they do seem to have all the lastest news and imports. Not really sure if they can be trusted like that.  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Chrono

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2003, 06:43:02 PM »
Hmm, how would one go about joining this "news letter"?

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2003, 09:51:54 AM »
Well, I don't think this "unprecedented" score could be low. Let's break this down and examine the word unprecedented to see what exactly this could mean.

Main Entry: un·prec·e·dent·ed
Pronunciation: "&n-'pre-s&-"den-t&d
Function: adjective
Date: 1623
: having no precedent : NOVEL, UNEXAMPLED

Hmmm. No precedent... Let's look up precedent.

Main Entry: 1pre·ce·dent  
Pronunciation: pri-'sE-d&nt, 'pre-s&-d&nt
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin praecedent-, praecedens, present participle of praecedere
Date: 15th century
: prior in time, order, arrangement, or significance

Prior in time, order, arrangement, or significance, and prior is very close to priority and related to prime. This score will have no precedence, however. It has no order or arrangement. If it had no significance, we wouldn't be discussing this. This would have to be a different kind of score, a positive one most likely.

Let's examine some synonyms to re-examine the tone of this word. So far, I don't think unprecedented can carry a negative tone. Novel and unexampled may give us an idea.

Main Entry: 1nov·el
Pronunciation: 'nä-v&l
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, new, from Latin novellus, from diminutive of novus new -- more at NEW
Date: 15th century
1 : new and not resembling something formerly known or used
2 : original or striking especially in conception or style <a novel scheme to collect money>

Main Entry: un·ex·am·pled
Pronunciation: "&n-ig-'zam-p&ld
Date: 1610
: having no example or parallel

Novel means new and unlike anything else. It's original or striking especially in conception. This sounds very positive. A novel idea would be to create a yoke to let an ox pull a plow instead of man dragging the plow himself. A novel idea would not be, "Hey Jimmy, look at this! I can get the bull to produce milk, too!" Not the best example of a bad idea, but if this unprecedented score was going to be negative, that would mean Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker would not have been a novel creation.

Unexampled. It has no example or parallel. Does this mean the score is peerless? Is Wind Waker peerless? I believe so. No other game achieves what it does. There is nothing like it. The game plays like a movie with as much emotion and creativity from its characters as we've seen from some of the best movies ever produced. It will be a true timeless classic to those who recognize it.

Unprecedented obviously carries a positive tone if correctly employed. Synonym NOVEL is definitely favorable. Given EGM's record of being a reliable video game magazine, I seriously doubt they want to risk their reputation and business by straying from the pack, so to speak. EGM has a goal in running their production. That goal is to gain respectability even from audiences they may not neccesarily take a personal liking toward. They have more to lose by insulting a portion of their consumers. If The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is receiving positive scores, it would make more sense that they be bold and match someone like Famitsu with top scores and even a new award rather than to be ultra critical and give an inaccurate review. Their credibility is their actual product. In the information world, credibility is all a true publication has. It's almost like a stock price. The higher your credibility is with your market, the more valuable you are.

It's not likely EGM will take a personal stance toward Wind Waker and sling mud. They will probably give it very high artistic scores and maybe even a new type of award for originality, quality, and fun. If anything, this would put Wind Waker off to the side by itself away from Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy. It'd be like segregation in a way.

Honestly, there's not much to expect from a rumor like this, and I really wouldn't make too much of it. No matter what score EGM gives it, it won't likely stray from the norm unless they have something somewhat positive to say in the process. They have invested interests that rely on their words. What all can they say?  

Offline VariantX

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2003, 08:52:25 AM »
.... you people overanalyze too much...  just play the darn thing when you get it.

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2003, 03:13:03 PM »

to those who do not know the definition of  Unprecedented...

Unprecedented:  Unlike or superior to anything that was before…

it was  said in a positive way.  

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2003, 11:45:37 AM »
EGM Score - 10, 10, 9.5

That is what I'm hearing from other boards.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2003, 11:48:14 AM »
boo to the 9.5
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline epicac

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2003, 11:54:19 AM »

Originally posted by: epicac
I'm expecting 10, 9.5, 10 or something along those lines.

Did I call it or did I call it?

Offline telaris

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2003, 12:17:07 PM »
Check out GameFAQs.com Then go look at the reviews for Zelda: WW the import version. There's about 12 different reviewers. There were 11 scores of 10/10 and 1 score of 9/10. Impressive.

Offline One Wanged Angel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2003, 01:03:12 PM »
Damn, I was hopeing for perfect, just so I could say it tied EGM scores for Vice City. I don't get EGM or honestly care about their reviews, i know some people do base purchases off their reviews and was just hopeing for 3 tens  
Violence is never the answer............ unless the question is another term for fighting

Offline FFantasyFX

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2003, 09:57:08 AM »
I just got my copy of EGM today.  The score is indeed 9.5, 10 and 10.  I'm not so sure that the score is unprecedented as is the actual review itself.  The review is 5 complete pages long.  I don't remember any previous review ever being over 3 pages, although I might be mistaken.  So, the length is what is unprecedented, not the score.  

Quite frankly, I'm getting a bit tired of EGM confusing reviews with feature articles.  I understood it when they decided to grant a full page review once and a while to important games that came out.  Then, they had to have at least one full-page review every issue.  Then, 2 pages, then 3 . . . boy, I can't wait for their 10-page expose review of Mario 128 in December 2003.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2003, 01:09:14 PM »
Seriously, if they're giving Vice City a perfect score over Wind Waker, there's some MESSED up people working at that mag. What did the guy who gave it a 9.5 say why he didn't give it a perfect score?
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline 3_MaSteRPIeCE

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2003, 02:07:28 PM »
Probably that he felt this WW could've been the best zelda ever.

But that he felt that it was a little rushed and should've had more time to be looked over my Miyamoto.

just speculation.  I'm still waiting for my mag.  I'm a little shocked but who cares.  I just wish zelda got delayed more.
Money for war but not enough to feed the poor - TuPac

Offline FFantasyFX

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2003, 03:45:07 PM »
mouse_clicker:  Mark MacDonald, the guy who gave Wind Waker a 9.5, wrote a generally glowing review for the game (which makes sense, since 9.5 is a great score).  His two qualms with the game were 1.) That the game was too easy.  He never came close to dying once throughout the entire adventure.  2.)  Sailing, while a wonderful twist, gets a bit monotonous and tedious after a while in his opinion. (The other two reviewers disagree with him on this point).

I'm inclined to think that Wind Waker got a score that it deserved, although I'll withold final judgement until I play the game in March.   I think what irks most people is not Zelda's score but that Vice City got perfect tens, when it probably shouldn't have considering how little it innovated over Grand Theft Auto III.  Then again, if my memory serves me correctly both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask got perfect scores, and some people would probably argue that Majora didn't innovate enough. (I'm not in that category.  I personally thought Majora was better and radically different than Ocarina)

In my opinion, I think EGM has gotten a little bit too trigger-happy in handing out Platinum Awards in recent years in general.    

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2003, 03:56:40 PM »
I guess those are good enough reasons- however, easiness is subejctive. I get really annoyed with FAQs written by people who are *really* good at things and simply write off everything in the game as "too easy" just because it was too easy for HIM. There's a Metroid Prime Boss FAQ on GameFAQs like that- he claims just about every boss is way too easy and we shoudln't have any problem when he doesn't realize they're actually really hard and he's just really good. He describes the Omega Pirate as simply a "challenge" when almsot everybody else had a LOT of trouble with him.

Also, about the monotonous sailing- isn't there some spell with the Wind Waker that summons a tornado to transport you to different parts of the world? I'm pertty sure I saw something along those lines in one of IGN's video previews for the game.