Author Topic: Metroid Dread Announced, Launching October 8  (Read 17680 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Metroid Dread Announced, Launching October 8
« on: June 15, 2021, 08:16:00 AM »

Finally, we've moved on from Fusion.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/57525/metroid-dread-announced-launching-october-8

Metroid Prime 4 won't be the first Metroid on Switch.

Metroid Dread has been revealed as a side scrolling action game in which Samus uses the traditional wall climbing abilities and melee to fight off aliens and a white robot.

It will release on October 8, and will launch along a themed pair of Amiibo with Samus and the robot EMMI.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Dread Announced, Launching October 8
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 12:19:58 PM »
Ah, yes, this is relevant to my interests.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 01:31:48 PM »
This was pretty much the only worthwhile announcenent the entire show. Not loving how this gane looks, but OK. I'm in. Given thst they're using the "Dread" name, I wonder if it'll link up with Prime 4, if that game ever comes out
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 02:42:52 PM »
I got like two seconds into the actual gameplay when I got a work-related phone call.  Dang it!  We've been waiting for Metroid Dread for over 15 years and the call had to come in then of all times?!

Anyway, I'm thrilled to see this and I like broodwars' suggestion of it linking to Prime 4.  Why not?  The Cube/GBA days of Metroid were probably the golden age for the series at least in terms of games fans actually cared about routinely being released.  Things went astray for a long time but going back to having a 2D series and first person 3D series running concurrently would be a good way to get back on track.

Oh and when the direct said "we're still working on Metroid Prime 4 but this is something else" I was expecting some groan-inducing Federation Force kind of project.  Nope!  Nintendo actually delivered literally the only thing that wouldn't get backlash from fans.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 02:49:35 PM »
Not loving how this gane looks, but OK. I'm in.
Yep. I would’ve preferred sprites, but I never thought we would get that if Nintendo ever blew the dust off 2D Metroid.

Oh and when the direct said "we're still working on Metroid Prime 4 but this is something else" I was expecting some groan-inducing Federation Force kind of project.  Nope!  Nintendo actually delivered literally the only thing that wouldn't get backlash from fans.
I expected Samus Returns HD. While I still think that happens, it would be in Nintendo’s best interest to release it after Metroid Dread so as not to “steal” sales from the new game.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 05:01:29 PM »
This will probably be my GOTY.  I loved Samus Returns and this game not having to be a somewhat faithful remake of a 25 year old GB game should make it a better experience since they can be more creative this time.  The footage they've been showing during Treehouse also shows the controls are even better since you can do things like use the counter while running now so the overall gameplay is faster as well.

I just hope they don't lock the art gallery, sound test and hardest difficulty behind Amiibos this time.  That was still the scummiest thing Nintendo has done with Amiibos to this day.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 06:23:32 PM »
I expected Samus Returns HD. While I still think that happens, it would be in Nintendo’s best interest to release it after Metroid Dread so as not to “steal” sales from the new game.

Not sure about that.  Nintendo has ported almost everything from the Wii U but that system was a flop so they were thinking that most Switch owners never played those games to begin with.  But the 3DS was a hit so Samus Returns isn't "trapped" on an obscure system.  We haven't seen too many 3DS-to-Switch ports from Nintendo thus far.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 06:37:30 PM »
Maybe. 🤷‍♀️ Nintendo is running out of Wii U games to remaster so it’s prime time to dip into the 3DS well.

If anything, I’m surprised Miitopia got a remaster before Samus Returns. Was anyone clamoring for Miitopia of all games? Am I so out of touch? No, it’s the children who are wrong.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 06:41:13 PM »
Game of the show for me in an already packed Direct.

A brand-new Metroid, reviving elements of the Dread project, the first time the series has had a full HD entry (unless you count the NintendoLand mini-game), releasing just 4 months from now, and we know Prime 4 will happen in a few years too?! Couldn't be happier right now.

I recommend people give the Treehouse Live segment on this a watch, it looks slick and fast. They've retooled the melee counter and combined it with a dash so you spend less time waiting. I'm very confident in that team.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 06:47:16 PM by Discord.RSS »

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 09:13:11 PM »
I am somewhat nonplussed about this. Polygonal 2D games kinda just never look too good, and this doesn't appear to be an exception.

Conceptually it seems fine, but I really have no faith in Mercury Steam, particularly having tried their really bad 2.5D Castlevania game. Granted, I haven't played Samus Returns, but it seemed like a very unappealing update. Why, oh why, would you emphasize the melee garbage from Other M? And that gameplay plank is being brought forward into Dread.

On the positive side, from what I've scoped, this project is based on a Nintendo-internal design approach they couldn't nail previously, and that there's more internal Nintendo involvement on this title than there was on Samus Returns. So maybe they'll be able to give Mercury Steam the Retro treatment. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 09:15:31 PM »
I am somewhat nonplussed about this. Polygonal 2D games kinda just never look too good, and this doesn't appear to be an exception.

Conceptually it seems fine, but I really have no faith in Mercury Steam, particularly having tried their really bad 2.5D Castlevania game. Granted, I haven't played Samus Returns, but it seemed like a very unappealing update. Why, oh why, would you emphasize the melee garbage from Other M? And that gameplay plank is being brought forward into Dread.

On the positive side, from what I've scoped, this project is based on a Nintendo-internal design approach they couldn't nail previously, and that there's more internal Nintendo involvement on this title than there was on Samus Returns. So maybe they'll be able to give Mercury Steam the Retro treatment. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

I wouldn't get too hung up on Mirror of Fate. Konami was kinda notorious for micromanaging that & Lords of Shadow 2 into the ground. From everything I've heard, Samus Returns is a lot better.

Now if only Nintendo would port the damn thing to the Switch, as it always should have been, so I can play it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 09:22:11 PM »
DREAD IS REAL

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 09:36:45 PM »
I liked Mirror of Fate. 🤷‍♀️ It isn’t better than IGA’s games; it’s fine for what it is.

I also thought the “melee garbage” from Other M was like the best part of that game because the rest of it sure was nothing to write home about. In any case, Samus Returns was really good. It is weirdly hard in the beginning because you practically have to use Melee Counter to advance so you have to get in the mindset that it’s a different Metroid in that regard. The new final boss was LOL.

There’s always going to be part of me that wishes the entire main series stayed sprite-based and closer gameplay-wise to the Super Metroid template that Fusion and Zero Mission followed before moving on to 2.5D especially since Dread is meant to end the Samus/Metroid arc. Not a big deal though.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 11:03:29 PM »
I don't know the development history of Mirror of Fate, but the idea of tilting the focus of a 2D 'troidvan toward slower-paced combat was fundamentally unsound, and that ethos appeared to carry over to Samus Returns. Really hoping it's toned down for Dread.

My issue with the melee junk in Metroid is similar to my disdain for it in the Resident Evil series. These are infected monsters, you shouldn't be touching them! In Metroid's case, Samus's arm is a gun! It's all about shooting these creatures from a distance, no reason to migrate it toward the many close-quarters 'troid-likes out there.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 01:11:12 AM »
I don't know the development history of Mirror of Fate, but the idea of tilting the focus of a 2D 'troidvan toward slower-paced combat was fundamentally unsound, and that ethos appeared to carry over to Samus Returns. Really hoping it's toned down for Dread.

My issue with the melee junk in Metroid is similar to my disdain for it in the Resident Evil series. These are infected monsters, you shouldn't be touching them! In Metroid's case, Samus's arm is a gun! It's all about shooting these creatures from a distance, no reason to migrate it toward the many close-quarters 'troid-likes out there.

As Adrock said, the counter in Samus Returns is only required at the beginning.  Once you get the Ice Beam which is pretty early, the game pretty much becomes like the other Metriod's.  After that point the Counter becomes an optional way to beat Metriod fights quicker, but it's never a requirement in any of the fights.  It's really the first 20% of the game that's somewhat slower paced but the remaining 80% is just as fast paced as the other 2D Metriods. 

Not saying you're going to love the game but your experience with Mirror of Fate isn't really a fair comparison to what they've done with Metriod.  Samus Returns was much closer in feel to the older 2D Metriod's then Mirror of Fate was to the IGA-vania games.

Of course we've already been shown that you can counter while running in Metroid Dread, so the developers have fixed the issue people had with it slowing down gameplay.  Samus also has the ability to slide while running as well, which is looking to make this the fastest Metriod gameplay wise.  So Dread is already looking to be the opposite of what you hated about Mirror of Fate.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 10:37:35 AM »
since Dread is meant to end the Samus/Metroid arc

I'm pretty sure there have been (thinks...) 3 (?) games to make this same claim already  ;)

Nintendo may feel stuck with how to name the games, it's pretty much become:

Metroid = 2D or this 2.5D stuff

Metroid Prime = 3D

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 11:17:38 AM »
I don't get why everyone is so excited about Metroid Dread. I released that game last year to great acclaim. I wish Nintendo would quit porting old games to the Switch like this.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2021, 12:35:20 PM »
My brother has recently had to start commuting to his office again after working from home because of covid.  When he got home our conversation went like this:

Me: Do you know about E3?
Him: Yeah, I had it on in the background at work.
Me: I had to miss part of it because of a phone call.
Him: Did you catch up?  Is there anything you don't know?
Me: I caught up.  I know everything.
Him: Okay so... METROID DREAD!!  HOLY ****!!

It was funny because we were feeling each other out like we were privy to some huge spoiler.  Obviously we both had the intention that if the other person didn't know what was up that they needed to see the presentation themselves, not have it merely be told to them.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2021, 04:56:07 PM »
For some reason, I never knew (or didn't remember) that Metroid Dread was ever anything more than just name, and never had anything shown off or detailed. At one point I even started to think it was never anything more than a meme made up by fans. So I guess that would make this a meme come true!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2021, 05:02:19 PM »

I wouldn't get too hung up on Mirror of Fate. Konami was kinda notorious for micromanaging that & Lords of Shadow 2 into the ground. From everything I've heard, Samus Returns is a lot better.

Additionally never discount the "Nintendo Difference" affects on a 3rd party studio when they are making a Nintendo-property game. While other studios may micromanage to the ground and ruin projects, Nintendo seems to just make otherwise average developers put out superior products.

Silicone Knights, Rare, Game Freaks, Koei-Tecmo, lots of examples where their Nintendo offerings are just better overall.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast