Author Topic: X-Box Live discontinued?  (Read 7110 times)

Offline Yuji Miyamoto

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
X-Box Live discontinued?
« on: October 21, 2003, 01:23:41 PM »
I was making the rounds at several local Target stores today when I noticed something quite strange.  At all 5 of the Target stores I visited, the "X-Box live kit" was being put on clearance.  In some cases, the cleareance price was less than $10!

(By the way, the reason I visit so many stores is because I am a collector )

I asked an employe if this clearance was due to the impending arrival of "X-Box Live 2.0,"
the so-called "re-launch" of X-Box live.  The employe, who was the manager of the video game dept, told me that Target will NO LONGER be carrying X-Box Live Accessories.

Now this is the 3rd store chain I have heard is no longer carrying X-Box live kits.  Something seems very strange and this looks really bad for Microsoft.  I guess online wasn't the "revolution" they thought it would be.

First the X-Box gets cracked wide open and now this?!
I'm not a doctor but I play one on t.v.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: X-Box Live discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 10:18:39 PM »
Hm, I think I need to check back at Karstadt, last time it looked like they were going to drop the Box completely.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:X-Box Live discontinued?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 11:07:07 PM »
Consider that they might be clearing out for new kits with a different pack-in game or something

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 07:49:13 PM »
Hmmm... I think its just Target not selling it anymore since (And I'm guessing) that anyone who wants Xbox live has it, and its not as profitable.

I highly doubt Microsoft would shut down their trump card; they just launched XSN (Xbox Sports Network) not too long ago. True Fantasy Live Online is on its way (Eventually) and I'm pretty sure the boys at Tecmo want to use Live for Ninja Gaiden and DOA online. It'd be a pain to kind of just cancel TLFO and DOA Online would lose its selling point.

So yeah, highly doubtful  
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 09:04:57 PM »
I doubt they Microsoft will drop it. But I don't see stores like Wal-Mart and other discount stores carring the kits because they may not sell as well as they use to because those who have Live and they are attacting new buys at a lower level.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2003, 09:11:29 PM »
all i can say is WHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2003, 09:16:10 PM »
Feeling a little evil tonight are we. I might of subscribed to it if it wasn't for them not supporting some broadband types.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline KatDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 05:24:05 AM »
I love XBL... I actually think they're pulling it for two reasons.  1) I believe they're going to offer an XBL bundle incorporating the headset/equip with a game such as Midtown Madness, 2) I think the communicator may be changing a little (minor changes).  As far as XBL going away, I'm severely doubting it, especially since there's quite a few XBL titles still in development, and with releases such as Crimson Skies yesterday (and Top Spin in the coming weeks), there will be much more momentum heading into the holidays.
Dyslexic man sells soul to Santa--film at 11.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 09:38:48 AM »
They were going to relaunch it, yes, but Yuji said he asked if that was the reason.

BTW, today I checked again. Karstadt still hasn't made a new XBox shelf. Currently all the games are locked away in a drawer and one has to ask to even look at one. Maybe it's not lack of sales but theft rate, but that makes absolutely no sense considering they always take the discs out of the cases before putting them on shelf.

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 01:39:28 PM »
Damn I wish I had remembered to check into this when I was in Target yesterday. Only gave the videogame section a glance. Look intact as ever to me. I actually even saw a few mini stands up infront of about 2 or 3 checkouts with the xbox platinum hits games. Looks like they took away a few of the small dvd stands that are usually there, I've never seen that before.  

Offline blakstarz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2003, 10:10:28 AM »
Xbox LIVE is not going nowhere, it's getting stronger by the minute. By the end of the year there will be 50+ LIVE titles out. I just got Crimson Skies for Xbox. And it's amazing!

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2003, 02:36:42 PM »
it because they are relaunching Xbox live with Mechassault and Tetris bundled with the headset

Offline Yuji Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2003, 02:59:45 PM »
I've heard about the re-launch, but the real news is that some retail outlets will not be carrying the new. repackaged X-Box Live kit.

I've heard that Wal-Mart Super centers, Target, Virgin MegaStore, and possibly even Kay-Bee Toys.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2003, 03:26:03 PM »
Well lets see some proof or something.  I'm sure some game site would be able to back up your rumors if they are true.

Offline Yuji Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2003, 05:33:24 PM »
Take a trip to your local target and check the clearance isle.  Then ask the person who runs the video game dept.  Or, if you wish, call one of you areas Wal-Mart super centers.

There will be a new X-Box system bundle that include the "Live Kit" but many reatail outlets will not be carrying the standard "Live kit."

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2003, 05:31:13 AM »
praps they will discontinue the internet aswell?
should Microsoft discontinue xbawx live, thats a sure fire way to piss off a section of your fanbase, true we have atleast 2 years before the next consoles but grudges run deep (case point, nintendo vs cds = annoyed devs and gamers, still feeling the effects now), even if they scaled back distribution of live kits to save money on bandwith, turning off the servers all togeather = stupidity incarnate.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2003, 07:31:49 AM »
Excuse me for not trusting wal mart employees, they know only what they think, not hard facts.  Links still needed.

Offline Yuji Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2003, 03:06:42 PM »
go to your local target and check the clearance isle.  Target employee's are far more well informed than Wal-Mart employees.  

I must say this, I hope it doesn't sound like a flame but, do you honestly think that you can get all of your information from the web?    

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2003, 04:02:54 PM »
yes
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2003, 04:57:47 PM »
From a reputed source, of course I do.

Unfortunately I don't have the 'inside contacts' that most target employees have, so I look to web sites that have a reputation for digging into junk, and still take it with a grain of salt.  Either way, I feel better about news if someone on the internet has atleast rumored about it, instead of Bill from Target telling me how (insert game here) is a total flop, and when I look up stats at magic box, it sells 3 million copies.

If you think I am an idiot for looking for another source to atleast sort of agree with you, then so be it, I don't trust people who have made two threads to describe crushing blows to consoles, and say they don't need a source, they have target.

Offline Yuji Miyamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2003, 07:17:57 PM »
Look, I understand your reluctance to accept what I am saying.  There are so many baseless accusations on the web, it's hard to know what to belive.

Here's the thing, I'm actually a reatail buyer for a certain chain that shall reamin nameless.  I know for a fact that my chain will no longer be carrying any online products.   Meaning LIVE Kits, Ps2 modems, and GameCube modems.  No big suprise w/ the GC modems, as they only have one game.  LIVE however, is one of the biggest selling points of the X-Box.  Once my chain discontinued future orders of LIVE kits, I started to ask around to all of the other buyers I know.
I know qute a few, and several of us attned the E3 convention together every year.

As for now, I know that Target's everywhere will no longer be carrying X-Box live kits. Also the same goes for the Wal-Mart super centers.  Plus my "music and more" chain stopped carrying this stuff during the summer.  Sorry I can't provide a link, but I truly expect that this info will be wide spread soon.

Until then take a trip to a Target or a WalMart Super Center.  I have seen X-Box live kits for as low as $7.44.  (Target always ends the clearance price in .40 or .44)

Offline ClockworkTomato

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2003, 01:39:28 PM »
Thanks for the tip!  I picked up an xbox live pack for $10.  very cool
I guess I should be banned...

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2003, 04:45:15 PM »
I was just at Target again yesterday and they were being sold for $50.  

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2003, 05:07:37 PM »
why does clockwork tomato only post in Yuji's threads?

Answer

same guy. yjui, clockwork, agent seven,
GET A LIFE
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline southerbill

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2003, 05:13:41 PM »

Offline ClockworkTomato

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2003, 05:28:56 PM »
3.0???!!!!  What the heck?  What's the story with 3.0?  From what I have heard in this thread and elsewhere, 2.0 was the "big upgrade."

it also appears that not all target's have put their live kits on clearance.  While searching for a cheap game I found a live kit  today at it's normal price.

(Off Topice - I've heard that target is going to discount Wario World to $30.  Does anyone know if this is true?  is it players choice yet?)  
I guess I should be banned...

Offline southerbill

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2003, 05:34:23 PM »
3.0 is with Mechassault complete version.

Oh ya, here is Sam Goody
Live 1.0 50 dollars
http://shop.samgoody.com/site/catalog/catalog.jsp?catid=cat000320&prodid=002087831

Offline jaminator45

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2003, 10:42:11 AM »
I havent been here in a while, but i guess everyone still hates the box.

Anywhooo,   Live is fine. They were dumping the kits becuase they have the new dashboard and they are sending out updated packages. They arent going to shut it down. I am on there all the time and there are tons of others on there as well.