Author Topic: The official NWR joycon graveyard.  (Read 10968 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
The official NWR joycon graveyard.
« on: January 27, 2020, 05:25:55 PM »
How many Joycon have you lost so far, be it to analog drift or some other issue? I was at 3 already when I went for the Hori Pad instead. I have 2 pairs but only one of the right ones don't succumb to some kind of drift.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 04:26:47 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: The official NWR joycon graveyard.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 05:34:18 PM »
All mine still work, with minimal to no drift. It probably helps that I play a lot of games with the D-Pad  and have gone through a couple different sets of primary Joy-Cons.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 06:48:43 PM »
None, technically.  But I have sent in all four of mine for repairs at this point.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 07:17:00 PM »
I have 2 pairs w/ some form of drift. Been dragging my feet on sending them in because I'm hoping they find a more permanent fix before I do, but it's been long enough I may as well get around to it. My OG grey and the extra red/blue I bought shortly after launch are both guilty of drift. I bought the Mario Party bundle with yellow green and got a purple/orange set for Christmas and those have been going strong but I like to think that is partly because I baby them and only allow adults to use them. The drifters are officially my kiddie joy-cons.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 08:11:34 AM »
I have 3 pairs of joy-con. The red/blue pair that came with my launch switch, a grey pair I bought at the end of year 1 and the splatoon color ones. Both the red/blue and grey had the the disconnect problem that I fixed using conducting tape. They also had drift in the left sticks so both have been sent in for repair and returned for free. The splatoon ones have worked fine so far. I also took the straps off the red/blue pair to make them better to use for ARMs.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 08:26:37 AM »
My original joycon have drift, which hasn't been helped by my 5 year-old absolutely manhandling them when playing Mario Oddysey.  It's been mitigated so far by occasionally spraying a bit of electrical contact cleaner underneath the joystick from time to time, but I'm thinking it's gonna have to be sent in at some point.

We have a pink/green pair as well that I haven't allowed the kids to touch so they're in relatively good shape (worst wear & tear is from me playing Smash) and haven't seen any drift YET, but I suspect eventually they'll be victim to that unless there's been some mid-stream revision level change in manufacturing to mitigate it.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 08:30:58 AM »
Do we know how Switch Lites are holding up in this regard? I still want to upgrade to a Switch this year, but between the Joy-con fragility and paid online stuff Nintendo are making it real easy to postpone that purchase.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 11:27:56 AM »
Do we know how Switch Lites are holding up in this regard? I still want to upgrade to a Switch this year, but between the Joy-con fragility and paid online stuff Nintendo are making it real easy to postpone that purchase.

Tough to tell.  A quick google search shows some cases of drift in youtube videos and reddit threads, but it's not as pronounced or at least visible as the joycon issue became.  Part of the problem might be that the defect just takes time to be known.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 07:36:12 PM »
What are you doing to your joycons?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 09:35:16 PM »
We're playing video games with them.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 09:12:42 AM »
What are you doing to your joycons?

Like I said above, my youngest has a tendency to clinch hard in excitement while he's playing a game which doesn't help, but even before I ever let my kids touch the Switch, I started noticing occasional drift. 

The joycon drift is a well known defect to the point where a class action lawsuit was ramping up before Nintendo decided to offer free repairs on the problem.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 11:06:21 AM »
The free repairs are great.  I sent three of mine in at once and they all came back working perfectly.  I think they even fixed that de-sync issue early joy-con had because one of them was noted as having more work done on it than the others.  And the repair essentially cost me since I used a box I already had and some filler from an Amazon package.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 02:50:17 PM »
When I first got the Switch, my right one had an issue where it would sometimes just drop inputs, but this was fixed not long after when a controller update was released. I don't have any issues with them right now, but I also don't use them much. It wasn't long before I got a Pro Controller and a system update enabled the GCN adapter, so I always use the Pro, or GCN when it can work. My Joy-Cons are relegated to multiplayer.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 05:52:35 PM »
I hope that with the Switch Pro and Nintendo's next system Nintendo gets back to making insanely good build qualities.  I am almost shocked that this is Nintendo we are talking about.  The company that used to have some of the best (indestructible) hardware and controllers on the market.  Now this just makes it sad.  I wonder if it is the size of the controllers, like Nintendo was afraid getting bigger or wider would hurt the overall feel on the console in handheld mode.  but it is sad that the controllers are failing.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 08:45:51 PM »
I think the size was a big factor in how they designed the sticks.  The way they did it isa huge design flaw and it's possible controllers just didn't have sufficient testing before being finalized, which is very un-Nintendo.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2020, 09:33:16 PM »
I'm surprised they haven't fixed it by now. I would have figured they'd come up with a way to make them that doesn't do that, and then just stealth release it with all the ones they ship after that point.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 11:08:35 AM »
When they announced the free repair, I assumed they had! I was surprised when people claimed the joy-con were essentially the same.  Especially with the Switch lite, you'd think they'd use the Pro Controller sticks.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 02:39:02 PM »
The problem is a real analog stick takes up a ton of space so it isn't that great for something like a joycon that doesn't have space to spare.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 04:16:36 PM »
My Joy-Con finally experienced drift earlier this month, literally the day after I beat Dark Souls Remastered.  I beat the final boss and played around in new game plus for a while then stopped.  The next day I go back to play the game and when I move my left stick to the right my character wont move.  They'll move to the left or down, but not right or up.  Then when I wasn't touching it at all, the character started walking to the left all by themselves.  I tried to re calibrate the stick but the issue was the same.

I then played Zelda II, on the NES app since the D-Pad button still worked but every once and a while Link would randomly start moving to the left even though I'm not touching the stick at all.  This made me research what caused drift and I'm lead to believe it's something getting worn down and leaving debris.  That would explain why I'm getting drift from a game where I'm not even using the joystick.  So I went and bought some compressed air and spray it inside the joystick.  Now this has stopped the drift when I play 2D game now, so I can at least still play NES/SNES game and many of the indie games I've bought.  But when I tried playing something with the joystick like Dark Souls or Smash Bros, if I try to move my character to the right, they'll move now, but it's all jittery and running is impossible in that direction.  So there's still something messing up right movements in my Joystick.

So yeah, I basically can't play anything that requires the joystick right now.  I mean it's not that big a deal at the moment since the majority of the games I've bought are 2D, and the Mega Man Zero Collection next month will keep me busy for a long time.  But it is annoying that my stick did this so quickly when I hardly ever used it.  At best I might have put about 300+ hours into using the stick, which is nothing compared to the amount of time I used the joystick on previous Nintendo controllers that still work.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 07:06:19 PM »
I was recently on vacation with my brother and while waiting for a flight we were each playing our respective handheld videogames systems - he with his Switch and me with my 3DS, looking like the out-of-date geezer that I am.  While trying to capture a rare Pokemon, Joycon drift kicked in, making him select "Run" when he meant to go into his bag to activate the Pokeball.  Ooops.  Hope that Pokemon shows up again soon.  As you can imagine he was really really mad.

He has since sent them for repair and was happy with the results.  But he's only had a Switch for about a year.  Isn't the free repair just kicking the can down the road for an inevitable future repair?  And I being very interested in retro gaming am wondering what the hell is going to happen once Nintendo stops offering repairs.  Is the future retro scene going to be swimming in busted Joycons?  Will new old stock fetch for big bucks?  The free repair fits the anti-customer "console as a service" nonsense that the industry is moving towards.  But anyone that actually wants to play their Switch after Nintendo stops supporting it needs a real solution, some sort of redesign with some durability.  But logically why would Nintendo care about that if the free repair option is affordable for them in the present and the majority of the market regards videogames as disposable entertainment?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 07:54:53 PM »
The future proof option appears to be the Hori Split Pad Pro.

Also my 3DS is still my go to portable device.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 07:59:26 PM »
I was recently on vacation with my brother and while waiting for a flight we were each playing our respective handheld videogames systems - he with his Switch and me with my 3DS, looking like the out-of-date geezer that I am.  While trying to capture a rare Pokemon, Joycon drift kicked in, making him select "Run" when he meant to go into his bag to activate the Pokeball.  Ooops.  Hope that Pokemon shows up again soon.  As you can imagine he was really really mad.

He has since sent them for repair and was happy with the results.  But he's only had a Switch for about a year.  Isn't the free repair just kicking the can down the road for an inevitable future repair?  And I being very interested in retro gaming am wondering what the hell is going to happen once Nintendo stops offering repairs.  Is the future retro scene going to be swimming in busted Joycons?  Will new old stock fetch for big bucks?  The free repair fits the anti-customer "console as a service" nonsense that the industry is moving towards.  But anyone that actually wants to play their Switch after Nintendo stops supporting it needs a real solution, some sort of redesign with some durability.  But logically why would Nintendo care about that if the free repair option is affordable for them in the present and the majority of the market regards videogames as disposable entertainment?

Thankfully there is a nice aftermarket repair scene with helpful videos on youtube. So I am confident that I could replace the sticks if I really wanted to myself. Sure, that stock of spare parts will eventually dwindle, but people are also creative at making alternatives. I imagine there are ways to trick a Switch into accepting a different controller as a joycon.
My Game Collection

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2020, 03:32:59 PM »
I noticed drift playing Luigi’s Mansion a couple of weeks ago. Not a fun experience. It’s something that had happened to my ps3 controllers after 3+ years of use. Not something I would expect to see after about a year of use.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 01:08:49 PM »
The joycons usually hurt my hands over an extended period. I mostly use a pro controller, so I haven't really run into drift issues.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2020, 08:43:13 PM »
I have been worried about my joy cons since getting the system.  I think one thing that hasn't been explored in this thread is how people are using their switches.  Are they traveling with them a lot?  Are they using carrying cases?  Are they playing intense analog stick games like Smash Bros?  Are they playing several multiplayer games and require constant removal of placing back of the joy cons?  All of this data affects the life of the controllers, and although they should be stronger and last longer no matter what....it makes we wonder how likely my gaming habits are going to affect the life of my controllers.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2020, 08:58:30 PM »
I think they drift is such a widespread thing that user habits aren't a major contributing factor.  Plus, the way it happens has to do with the design of the inner parts, so it's definitely a design flaw.

That being said, I only use a case when I travel.  I used to ride public transportation to work and would have it just in my bag. 

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2020, 07:40:06 PM »
I am so let down by Nintendo and the quality of their products in a physical sense. Remember when Nintendo Power would run those pics people had mailed in of GameBoys that had been set on fire, ran over by cement trucks etc and still worked?

Yeah flash forward 25 years and my 2DS breaks for no reason 1 day after the 90 day warranty expired.

My pro controller was the first joystick to drift. Well fine. I wanted one of those cool Zelda themed wired controllers anyway. Then the joycons start going down on my kid's switch. Nintendo fixes them for free but what a headache.

Then my joycons go down. Corona hits and the repair plant shuts down so I'm screwed. I go and buy these cool knock off GameCube styled joycons and they honestly rock except that there is no HD rumble so I just turned the rumble off. Fishing in AC is insane without HD rumble.

Then I learn the cotton swab and rubbing alcohol trick and it fixes my old joycons (still use the GCN styled ones. The button layout still feels too right in my hands) and then the  damn joystick starts going out on the Switch Lite I bought less than a month before for my wife so she could have her own AC Island.

Again the swab trick worked but this is getting a little ridiculous.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:51:31 PM by Rancid Planet »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2021, 09:49:59 PM »
So, according to Twitter, Nintendo has officially fixed the drift?

An official Nintendo webpage suggests the same.

Has anyone recently purchased new Joy-Con?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2021, 10:00:24 PM »
They don't exactly say they've eliminated it completely. The most relevant part of the interview and what you might be referring to seems to be this section:

Do you mean that, basically, wear is unavoidable as long as the parts are physically in contact?

Shiota: Yes, for example car tires wear out as the car moves, as they are in constant friction with the ground to rotate. So with that same premise, we asked ourselves how we can improve durability, and not only that, but how can both operability and durability coexist? It’s something we are continuously tackling.

Yamashita: The degree of wear depends on factors like the combination of the materials and forms, so we continue to make improvements by researching which combinations are less likely to wear.

They talk about improving durability but they still seem to concede that wear is inevitable. It's just about trying to make them less likely to wear or wear down very slowly.

It makes me wonder when they started making the change thought. I got the Animal Crossing Switch edition but I've been trying to avoid using the Joy-Cons much and sort of baby them as much as I can to avoid wear as much as possible myself. But maybe I'm being too overly cautious now...? It seems like any Joy-Cons bought now should see an improvement in durability from the sound of the interview because they also changed the way they tested the sticks so that is different from how they tested the Wii U gamepad sticks.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2021, 10:07:47 PM »
This is the part about them making improvements to the durability:

The parts of the Joy-Con analog sticks are not something that can be bought off the shelf but are specially designed, so we have undergone a lot of considerations to improve them. In addition, we improved the reliability test itself, and we have continued to make changes to improve durability and clear this new test.

When the effects of our improvements were confirmed, we promptly incorporated them into the Joy-Con controllers that are included with the console, Nintendo Switch Lite, and the ones sold individually, that were manufactured at that time. This involves the internal components of the Joy-Con, so you can’t tell the improvements from the outside, but we use the new versions of the parts when we repair them. Also, similar continual improvements have been made for the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller as well.

I think because of the lawsuit that's still outstanding, they want to cover themselves by saying the piece about movable parts still having natural wear and tear.  They also don't specifically address the drift, possibly for that same reason.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2021, 10:12:19 PM »
It makes me wonder when they started making the change thought. I got the Animal Crossing Switch edition but I've been trying to avoid using the Joy-Cons much and sort of baby them as much as I can to avoid wear as much as possible myself. But maybe I'm being too overly cautious now...? It seems like any Joy-Cons bought now should see an improvement in durability from the sound of the interview because they also changed the way they tested the sticks so that is different from how they tested the Wii U gamepad sticks.

This is a pretty big question. It sounds like it's been a continuous process.  I think they made some changes to the design around when they started offering free repairs.  But this makes it sound like something more recent but has been shipping for some time.  I'm sure teardown videos can approximate the timing a bit.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2021, 06:23:34 AM »
Maybe the joycon that come with the OLED switch are improved. If anyone here is getting one they should report back after field testing them. In other words, don't baby them like Khush is, really pound on them. Get that new Mario party and group of your heaviest handed and go at it until your thumbs bleed. Then report back to...nickmitch, yeah it was his idea.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2021, 12:39:07 PM »
It's . . . for science. . .

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2021, 04:54:30 PM »
I thought I mentioned this before but don't see it in this thread. I'm convinced that we won't see any true solution for the problem that is acknowledged until the class action lawsuits are resolved. Anything more than "we are always working to improve our products durability" could be viewed by the courts as an admission that they have a widespread problem and lead to a losing verdict.

We will either get new stealth launched "joycon 2.0s" post-lawsuit or clearly new models will release with new iterations of systems like how We got the Wii Motion Plus baked into the wiimotes later in the system life.
My Game Collection

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2021, 06:05:33 PM »
My current joycon 2.0s are the binbok ones.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2021, 10:14:04 PM »
I wonder what the internals of a joycon stick are made out of.

I used to take apart n64 controllers to fix them, and it was a pretty simple fix. Just clean any dust and dirt out. The plastic joysticks were inherently flawed though. Plastic is just not a material that should be made to endure friction repeatedly. There was a fan project for improved n64 joysticks that looked pretty good. They were either made out of stainless steel, but I think their website went silent.

https://steelsticks64.com/

Honestly though. Even with the n64 controller wear flaw it is still my favorite feeling joysticks. It felt easier to make very tiny precise movements. Like when you have to tip toe in mario 64 it feels shittier on a modern joystick.

But wasn't this more of a calibration issue? You can engineer drift in most controllers if you hold the joystick when you turn it on. But also if the stick is made out of substandard materials it wont calibrate right anyhow. I also imagine being able to "Switch" create extra calibration issues.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2021, 10:21:30 PM »

Honestly though. Even with the n64 controller wear flaw it is still my favorite feeling joysticks. It felt easier to make very tiny precise movements. Like when you have to tip toe in mario 64 it feels shittier on a modern joystick.
Alot of that is just Nintendo didn't really care about getting the emulation right for the n64's analog stick.

Mario 3D All Stars nailed it though. Hopefully that carries over to N64 Online

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2021, 11:08:51 PM »

Alot of that is just Nintendo didn't really care about getting the emulation right for the n64's analog stick.

Mario 3D All Stars nailed it though. Hopefully that carries over to N64 Online

I think it has more to do with that the n64 stick is just a little longer than modern joysticks. Which is also a structural flaw and probably why they don't do that anymore.  Also, a brand new n64 controller feels tight with lots of resistance.

Functionally and technically, the sticks on newer hardware should be better based on specs. They just don't feel that way.  A better player than me wouldn't have a complaint. I'm more talking about the feedback loop between myself and the machine.

It's not just emulated Mario 64 that suffers. A game like Monkey Ball could be better than it is on Gamecube and Dreamcast. And even on Xbox and Playstation systems games where I had to tiptoe or use very precise analog stick movement could feel better. The next best analog experience I've had is the Dreamcast trigger buttons. Loved Gamecube's shoulders too. Even the recompiled Mario 64 PC version didn't feel perfect with an xbox 360 controller.

I never tried one of those elite xbox one controllers though, apparently you can adjust the tension.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2021, 02:24:57 AM »
Its the octagon the N64 controller had that helped. Modern controllers have a round circle you roll the stick around for movement. I used the those corners in the octagon to ensure I could line up shots and stay steady on narrow ledges.
My Game Collection

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2021, 03:28:47 PM »
Its the octagon the N64 controller had that helped. Modern controllers have a round circle you roll the stick around for movement. I used the those corners in the octagon to ensure I could line up shots and stay steady on narrow ledges.
The classic controller pro for Wii has the octagon on the sticks. It's really a neat controller, though it is tethered to a wii-mote.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2021, 10:31:17 PM »
The classic controller pro for Wii has the octagon on the sticks. It's really a neat controller, though it is tethered to a wii-mote.

I did like the feel of that one.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2021, 10:34:16 PM »
I just ordered the 8bitdo Pro2 because I want a proper D-pad. Once it arrives both the Pro Controller and the Joycon will have been replaced by third party alternatives in this house.

It also means that counting the two joycon and the Joycon grip I will have 4 pro stye controllers.