Author Topic: Hacking Set for Sunday  (Read 4205 times)

Offline Matt

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Hacking Set for Sunday
« on: July 02, 2003, 12:26:31 PM »
Reports of of multiple sources sare saying that Sunday will be a day to look out for terrorists -- online.

It is said that a large number of hackers are planning to attack thousands of websites worldwide over a six hour period Sunday. This could cripple the internet. Luckilly, it is a weekend, not a normal business day, and a holiday weekend. Even so, businesses will be hurt, and it looks like many sites, even gaming sites are going to be attacked.

This will only make PGC's DoS problems worse.  This will really suck for people like me who use the internet a lot.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
RE: Hacking Set for Sunday
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 12:33:16 PM »
These guys really need girlfriends.  Seriously, this does help them in any way what-so-ever.  

Offline Lecter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 12:49:18 PM »
Terrorists have no lives seriously. OH Lets go hack the internet and make ourselves look even more cooler then we are, when we could be using are skills for something good like actually having the internet in our country!  
Currently Playing: Devil May Cry, Red Faction 2, GTA 3, Animal Crossing.

Currently Reading: Hannibal, Dreamcatcher.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Hacking Set for Sunday
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 12:51:09 PM »
The thing is you get no recognition for hacking because if people knew who you were the police would be busting you. I'll keep the Sunday plan in mind, but most of the sites I go to should be fine.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Hacking Set for Sunday
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2003, 04:15:56 PM »
Actually, hacking isn't really bad.  It's just the way people hack that's bad.  "Hacking"or "Hacker" aren't derogatory terms, it's just that mean people (with no friends except for other mean people, all of whom have the popularity rate of a rutabaga) have given the word a bad meaning.  I learned all about hacking and what it is and other stuff like that over at techtv.com.  I just searched "hacking" in the little search doo-wah and clicked around.  

EDIT: If you do go to techtv.com, make sure to broaden your search to "anytime" or else you'll get alot of videogame doot.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Hacking Set for Sunday
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2003, 04:18:33 PM »
It's called "Cracking" not "Hacking".  Hacking is a term used to describe what you are doing if you install an Afterburner on your GBA.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Hacking Set for Sunday
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2003, 04:22:18 PM »
Hacker technically refers to a skilled computer use while cracker refers to people who illegaly break into computer systems and reak havoc. However, it's pointless to try and change popular perception- I don't know any skilled computer user who actually goes by the term hacker, anyway.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
Hacking Set for Sunday
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2003, 04:24:05 PM »
http://www.techtv.com/siliconspin/features/story/0,23008,3373526,00.html

It's got a few good things, like Leonarda da Vincci, king of hacking.  I'm not sure if the Afterburner thing is really hacking (it could've been a joke, but I fidured it wasn't since, well, i kinda made sense) because you're supposed to do it, and there's a kit.  If you tried to install a lighting solution to your GBA before the Aftervurner, that would be hacking.  

But what do I know?  (<-- seriously)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Hacking Set for Sunday
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2003, 04:24:29 PM »
Yeah I know.  I occasionally put up the good fight anyways though.  Kinda like when you are in a sinking ship and you throw a bucket of water over the side.  

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
Hacking Set for Sunday
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2003, 04:24:53 PM »
wow, double posted with a message in between.  never saw that before.  cool  

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Hacking Set for Sunday
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2003, 05:50:52 PM »
The term hacker came about when the first telephone system (1890s) was cracked. The term for the people doing it was hacker.

And just for kicks the number 2600 is in reference to 2600 Hz, the sound that allowed the dialer to bypass the operator hack, discovered by the guy now known as Capn Crunch. 2600 Hz was the sound level produced from a whistle the guy found in a box of Capn Crunch.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Hacking Set for Sunday
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2003, 05:53:13 PM »
Erm... wasn't that called phreaking?

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2003, 07:35:57 PM »
It is now.  Yeah, hacker is a skilled computer user, but perception has changed.  I have also heard the term "viper hacker" used as you used cracker.  Either way, a useless trade when applied this way.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2003, 08:03:59 PM »
THE TERM HACKING COMES FROM CHOPPING DOWN TREES. EXCUSE ME SIR, I NEED TO HACK THIS TREE DOWN.

"OH THAT'S VERY GOOD, I LIKE TURNIPS'

'WELL THEN, WE SHALL EAT THEM AFTER THE HACKING'

"STINK CHEESE"

Offline BoB007

• Secret undercover Bob or something
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2003, 08:04:12 PM »
Do you have a link to where you got this information ?

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Hacking Set for Sunday
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2003, 03:13:26 AM »
This is a funny thread.

Sunday. . . I'll probably be playing Wind Waker, reading Pride and Prejudice (blegh), and I might get on the net.  I imagine ezboard could be attacked, but hopefully that doesn't mess up the other board I go to.  As for this one, I hope it also remains safe.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Hacking Set for Sunday
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2003, 07:01:39 AM »
Somebody told me the hacker contest thing was moved up to tomorrow (ie July 4th)- he could be wrong, but I personally won't be taking any chances and will hence be spending the rest of tomorrow in bed.

Bob- it was on CNN yesterday.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
Hacking Set for Sunday
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2003, 09:17:08 AM »
Oh whoopty doo, delete your email, keep your firewall up, and don't get mad when a lot of websites will be down. Thats all you guys need to worry about.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2003, 12:44:51 PM »
If they really wanted to make an impact, why the weekend? Do they have to go to school or something? oh gee, 6 hours is really going to cripple the net as we now it. Talk about over-blown.

More than likely the averge person wouldn't notice anything. Bunch of losers should get a life.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
Hacking Set for Sunday
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2003, 01:03:30 PM »
The thing I find ironic though, is that if they worked so hard on anything else, they would be hailed as the greatest employees ever...

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2003, 02:01:58 PM »
Yeah, but if i had that kinda drive, i wouldn't bother working for someone else; i'd start my own business.

We'll see just how much gets affected this weekend. Frankly, i've heard more about the MPAA's alleged crackdown on P2P pirates than this.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."