Author Topic: Your game of the Generation  (Read 10726 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Your game of the Generation
« on: November 09, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »
What up brah the current gen is officially over in about two weeks so what was your favorite game of thise generation.

Mass Effect is not only my favorite game of this generation but my favorite series as well despite a few misteps here and there. The Xbox 360 was my first console this gen and before this I only had Kung -fu Panda and Lego Indiana Jones. Being a console only Gamer this was my first experince with WRPGs being beofre a big JRPG fan. The real time action mixed with being able to stop and think out my plan giving my team commands. The Player Agency in the first game allowing me to not only customize my Shepard but choose his decisions and seeing them reflect into the end game were amazing. The soundtrack is amazing full of alot of techno synths and hot fiery drums. The first 30 minutes In which the main theme plays followed by the landing on eden prime really set the tone for what I can only describe as what watching the original star trek or Star Was like.

Mass Effect is mine, but what's your favorite game this generation .
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Your game of the Generation
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »
I know this might make people roll their eyes, but:

It was probably the first game I played that had the perfect marriage between the story, single player game mechanics, and the online multiplayer. Unlike every single game I have played before it had something lacking in one or more of the departments I listed above. Not only that, there was sometimes a disconnect between what was having happening between the cutscenes and what you actually did yourself. Not only that, but I'd say that if this game isn't the best of this generation, it has the best opening of this generation.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 02:28:09 PM »

Without a doubt.
Gouge away.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 02:35:34 PM »
To cheat a little bit, I'm going to split between "this gen" and "Wii gen."

For "this gen," Red Dead Redemption hands down. I think it's fair to say that open world design was the major leap forward this time around. Except that in most cases I think it sucks and serves as an excuse to avoid coherent game design. RDR, however, absolutely nails it, marrying a mission structure with the freedom of the mythical old west. On top of that the actual mechanics are beautifully done and the side quests/activities incredibly compelling. There was a moment where I was breaking one of the ultra rare horses in the middle of the night during a lightning storm that will stay with me forever.

For "Wii gen," Little King Story. Bizarre, amazing game. A marriage of Pikmin, a town builder, and an RPG that is unlike any other game I've ever played. Super hard and addictive with an unsettling and surreal narrative to boot.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 04:29:47 PM »
The World Ends With You.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 08:55:35 PM »
Right now, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

My friend let me borrow The Last of Us last night (haven't played it yet) and I own but haven't/barely played Tomb Raider, Xenoblade, or The Last Story.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 09:36:18 PM »
The World Ends With You.

Nice to find someone else who appreciates the game as much as I do. It would be in my top-10 but I'm not sure it would be the #1.

Are we talking overall or per console?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 10:29:51 PM »
I give my opinion based on a few factors, bearing in mind that:

a) I haven't had the opportunity to play that many games this generation.
b) My choice probably isn't the best-made game I played this generation, but one that I was compelled to continue playing to completion.
c) There are just too many games released in a generation to make a decisive choice on this topic.

Kirby's Epic Yarn doesn't tell an intricate story, have a complex or revolutionary gameplay system, or even provide anything new to its genre.  What Kirby's Epic Yarn does is provides a technically sound platformer that encourages you to explore the levels, all in an art style that is unlike anything I've seen in a video game, and that looks better than a lot of the games on the HD systems because of it.  Additionally, the soundtrack (mostly in piano) provides an extra layer of character & personalty to a game that's already brimming with charm.  On top of this, the gameplay is strung-along by a storybook sequence of cutscenes spoken by a narrator that adds the finishing touch to a game that compelled me to play continually with my wife with a childlike excitement to see what's next, which is something I rarely experience playing games anymore.

A game doesn't have to be a revolutionary shift in gameplay design to be considered top tier, sometimes it just has to refine a tried & true formula to its core and deliver it in the best package possible to leave a mark.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 12:56:14 AM »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 01:23:14 AM »
We actually did a whole Feature about this on NFR 25, but in case you missed it this is the ONLY correct answer:

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 02:29:49 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 02:21:54 AM »
I really like that answers so far are varied.  I wonder if the major gaming publications will be the same.  Personally, if I absolutely had to choose one game, it would be Mass Effect.  I played the **** out of that game, despite its clunkiness.  There's just something magical about the world BioWare created that feels fresh every time I play it.  The pacing felt thoughtful, and deliberate, which made sense for that game.  The later games were much more action-packed because the stakes were obviously higher and it fit the narrative, but the slower pacing of the first game really encouraged me to explore everything about it.  It managed to take me back to when I knew less about games, and when I wasn't always chasing the white diamond on the map.

Ultimately, I'm not a huge fan of the concept of a Game of the Generation, because it's so hard to nail down the criteria.  But it can lead to some interesting discussions, and you get to see where people rate the importance of various gameplay elements.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 02:28:51 AM »

I thought about this one. I really did. And while I thoroughly enjoyed and loved Uncharted 2, Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy, Rockband, Final Fantasy III, and Pokémon Black...Xenoblade completely and relentlessly mesmerised me.

Not since Chrono Trigger and A Link to the Past has a game completely taken my breath away from me. I honestly didn't know what to expect going in - I just thought, "Oh, this MIGHT be a decent JRPG. It's probably just gonna be another run of the mill Japanese exp grind fest, though..."

Wow, was I ever wrong. Beginning to end, the game kept me on the edge of my seat wanting to squeeze out a bit more time to traverse the grand scope of a world that Monolithsoft feverishly crafted with care. It's charming, heroic, sad, happy, and brilliantly fearful all at varying points in the game. And yes, I'll say it like I've already said it a hundred times...

I love it.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 05:38:10 AM »
My favourite release of the last generation was actually Metroid Prime Trilogy, but I thought it would be unfair to put three amazing games up against one amazing game. For me the combined quality of Metroid Prime 1 - 3 beats anything released this generation, but when stacking Metroid Prime 3: Corruption up against Mario Galaxy 2, I feel SMG2 is the better game.
Gouge away.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 08:48:26 AM »
No way i'm going to pick one of them. From a standpoint of a gamer who only started to play on console literally two years ago...

Team Fortress 2 -- best FPS game, best online game
Super Mario Galaxy -- game so good, you can put it in your GOAT lists twice!
Super Mario Galaxy 2 -- yep!
Bayonetta -- cuhrazy, sexeh, the best
New Super Mario Bros Wii -- drunk gaming night with my pals playing this were one of the best gaming experience i ever had
Portal 2
Silent Hill Shattered Memories -- the only videogame with a legitimately good story (of what i played so far and from my standpoint)
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 03:32:20 PM »

It's Smash Bros, enough said.  I can easily say Smash Bros Wii U will be my game of the next generation as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 06:39:51 PM »
I think this game also deserves a mention:

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 06:44:49 PM »
Ethier SMB brawl or X and Y.
Made you look ****.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 07:24:23 PM »
Ethier SMB brawl or X and Y.
X and Y fall into the ps4/xbone generation genius...
But yeah brawl for now, still need to get galaxy 2

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 09:53:08 PM »
Most likely Super Mario Galaxy 2, but LittleBigPlanet 2, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii would also be up there.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 09:58:13 PM »
Hopefully I can get a deal that will make it seem like I'm getting xenoblade at a reasonable price on black Friday

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 07:36:56 PM »
Mario Kart Wii is the game I had the most enjoyment with, but I'm hesitant to call it the "best." I might have to give that to the Galaxy games, Skyward Sword, or Xenoblade.

Offline relewis2011

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 07:45:33 AM »
With no doubt in my mind, it would have to be Super Mario Galaxy. I've just received Galaxy 2 for Christmas, otherwise it may have taken the top spot. Playing Galaxy for the first time invoked that same sense of amazement and awe that I had playing games like Super Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, and even Bioshock for the very first time. Graphically I still believe it's the best looking game on the Wii. The soundtrack? My goodness, nothing short of superb. Each and every world design was so unique and finely detailed, too. I only hope that Nintendo has a unique and out-of-this-world (pun totally intended) 3D Mario game in the works akin to 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 09:42:38 AM »
I stopped playing games mid generation.  So I missed out on several games.  However, if I had to be honest with myself, and pick the single game I had the most fun playing it would be Wii Sports.  So many great hours with friends playing that game. 

If I picked a single player experience it would be Super Mario Galaxy. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 04:07:43 PM »
For me it has to be Super Mario Galaxy 2. If I were making a personal all time top-whatever list, I think all four EAD Tokyo Mario games would be in the top 5, and while I think I'd put the ones that came out in our now current generation ahead of it, the second Galaxy is a brilliant, brilliant platformer that takes the greatness of the original and pushes it to new heights.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent