Author Topic: Xbox vs PC  (Read 10637 times)

Offline Lanseryl

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« on: June 05, 2003, 12:36:55 AM »
I always read articles about Xbox on the console "war" but none about the impact on pc gaming. I have the feeling Xbox is a serious threat to pc  games, with so much Xbox games being ports of pc games. Is there a clash between the pc and Xbox communities? Or maybe a large chunk of the Xbox players used to be PC players who switched to this more convinient pc-console?
Did Xbox have any impact on pc software sales?

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Xbox vs PC
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 12:41:29 AM »
well im not a hardcore pc gamer, but i do read pc mags every now and then, and they are feeling the impact of losing some games destined for PC to consoles, ill try dig up the magazine that was in *looks at draw packed full of crap* this may take a while

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 01:57:09 PM »
Err, most PC gamers don't really even give a crap about xbox. For that matter consoles.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2003, 10:15:53 PM »
Xbox and PC games are like the same thing.  People who can't afford to play the game the way it was meant to be played on a PC buy an Xbox.  The problem comes from Microsoft nabbing exclusive deals from PC developers, as there are still some powerful console developers who won't have anything to do with Microsoft.  Yes, MS is busy screwing the PC industry as usual, but there's nothing we can do about it.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2003, 06:14:01 PM »
I'm a PC lover and the only consoles I'll touch are my Gamecube and my friends' PS2s. I only touch X-box's when I'm at a game store. X-box isn't having any impact on PC gaming at all. Except for the fact that it got Halo and it's getting Knights of The Old Republic first.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2003, 06:34:32 PM »
In PGC's downtime, I was going insane, and I asked the people in another forum what the incentive was to buy an Xbox.  This is more or less the definitive list I got of why people should buy an Xbox.  (by someone named GameFreak... I don't know if it's OUR GameFreak or not though)

-XBox Live- THE best console online system out there at the moment.
-Halo
-Halo 2
-Deathrow
-Unreal Championship
-OddWorld
-Dead or Alive 3
-Mechassault
-Crimson Sea
-Panzer Dragoon Orta
-Shemnue II
-ToeJam and Earl III
-Blink: Time Sweeper
-Jet Set Radio Future
-Brute Force
-Fable
-Sudeki
-Castle Wolfenstein
-Knights of the Old Republic
-GOOD Moto Gps
-New XBox Classic Games
-Buffy The Vampire Slayer
-Perfect Dark Zero
-Conker: Live and Uncut
-Kameo: Elements of Power
-Ghosts 'n' Ghoulies
-Kung Fu Chaos
-Doom III
-Halflife II

On that list of 28 games

I find 7 PC games.  (25%)
-Halo
-Halo 2
-Castle Wolfenstein
-Knights of the Old Republic
-Doom III
-Halflife II
-Unreal Championship

The rest of the games are largely shovelware, and I don't know how they are supposed to be an asset to the system, but whatever.  I don't want to turn this into a console war thread.  I just wanted to show that many of the games that are on an Xbox fan's mind are in fact PC or PC-like games.  That's got to hurt PC sales somewhat.

Offline AERO

• View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2003, 07:53:13 PM »
Well I know around launch time over at TXB many former pc only gamers were coming over becuase of the appeal of many of the games. Maybe the multi-functionality of the xbox also had something to do with it.

As for grey ninja. Please don't spread crap about such as microsoft is screwing the pc industry. Its hasn't effected git that greatly. Competition is good. As for "games being played the way they were ment to be played". Games once only for the pc can be enhanced for the xbox now that their is one centralized technology and they arn't having to dumb them down for low end pc's. Low end pc's are hurting pc gaming more then xbox.  

But I'll leave it at that. People are gonna believe whatever they want to believe. Its easier then coming to the realisation that they may be missing out on something by just sticking with their pc, or gc, or whatever their bag is.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2003, 08:43:02 PM »
How many of those XB titles are FPS? Because I'm pretty sure I don't want to play FPS-games on a console.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2003, 10:43:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
The rest of the games are largely shovelware, and I don't know how they are supposed to be an asset to the system, but whatever.  I don't want to turn this into a console war thread.  I just wanted to show that many of the games that are on an Xbox fan's mind are in fact PC or PC-like games.  That's got to hurt PC sales somewhat.

Most aren't shovelware.  I wouldn't label Jet Set Radio Future, Shenmue II and Panzer Dragoon Orta as shovelware.  I'm not defending xbox, but Sega is putting some killer games on the console.

And I agree, since a lot of xbox's titles are PC games, it does hurt PC sales.  I dislike the fact that MS is drawing PC developers to their console and games like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic getting a time-exclusive.  It sucks because I am looking for to that game (on the PC).  I get the feeling MS want to get rid of PC gaming on computers altogether.  So if you buy a computer, you have to buy Windows (well, most people don't know Linux and don't have the time to learn to use it), and if you want to play PC games, have to buy a xbox.  In other words, more $$$ for MS.  I hope it doesn't happen.  Does anyone see it the same way as me?

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2003, 06:13:35 AM »
yeah i getcha.
the crap thing is, perhaps Sega maybe willing to let M$ buy them, since they (not Sonic Team or AV) have been pretty pro-M$, so then if you wanna play Sonic, you'll have to buy an XBox. When that time comes, THEN it's time to kill and complain.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2003, 10:22:04 AM »
AiAi: If they wanted to do that they'd have made Freelancer XBox-exclusive.

Term: Err... There won't be much Sonic on the XBox. Remember how XB-fanboys complain about "kiddy games"? MS would probably kill Sonic anyway, or turn it into an FPS.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2003, 01:28:59 PM »
Bloody christ.  I just posted a really long post here, but the server didn't post it.

Summary -
I posted 5 games from that list which are ranked really lowly by a popular gaming website, and don't have much good word-of-mouth going for them.

I asked how many of the games on the list could be considered AAA and were exclusive to Xbox.  That list of games I figured belonged was about 5 games long.

I responded to AERO by saying that I was responding to the question asked in this thread with my opinion, and I backed it up with some evidence.  I am not posting "crap".  Furthermore, I posted some stuff about PC games being more enhanced than the Xbox's "enhanced" versions.

I don't feel like typing it all out again, as it took me a good 10 minutes to find all that crap.

Offline AERO

• View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2003, 07:20:05 PM »
Well since I would have a hard time trying discuss your summary of your other post I'll just mention something I missed the first time.

How are Halo and Halo 2, PC games? Halo was turned into an xbox game early in developement. I wouldn't count games that were brought to xbox first, then to the pc later on, even if they orginially were intended to be pc games, early on as pc games. Halo 2, the sequel isn't even worth explanation for why that isn't. Doom III is being developed along side the pc version.

Anyway if microsoft was trying kill pc gaming, and bring all their gaming to xbox, then they wouldn't be making more games for the pc would they?

What exactly is the beef of microsoft having games from the pc over to the xbox? Some seem to find it morally wrong or something, or is it just sour grapes?  

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2003, 10:23:55 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
AiAi: If they wanted to do that they'd have made Freelancer XBox-exclusive.

You got me there.  Still, I believe MS wants to kill PC gaming.  But slowly...

AERO - Halo was under development for PC and Mac for like 4 years before MS bought Bungie.

Grey Ninja - Before you post, highlight the text and copy it (ctrl + c).  That's the safest way without having to type it all again.  I learnt that the hard way!

Offline AERO

• View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2003, 05:07:53 AM »
So then you mean they are throwing around this "pc game" thing just to spite xbox then?  

Offline Smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2003, 07:05:28 AM »
Theres no way MS will win against PC gaming unless they make a keyboard and mouse for a console and make it upgradable. Doing that basically makes it a PC anyways. Most PC gamers highly value their mouse and kb, especially for FPS games.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2003, 04:38:49 AM »

Xbox and PC games are like the same thing. People who can't afford to play the game the way it was meant to be played on a PC buy an Xbox. The problem comes from Microsoft nabbing exclusive deals from PC developers, as there are still some powerful console developers who won't have anything to do with Microsoft. Yes, MS is busy screwing the PC industry as usual, but there's nothing we can do about it.

Ninja, are you nothing more than a spoiled 8 year old. I am so sick of seeing your fanboyish drivel it isnt even funny.

Did it ever dawn on you that some people just dont like playing games on a PC, and that money has nothing at all to do with it?
I have a brand new PC, top of the line and dont own own a single game for it and never will.
I do have an x-box and own 14 games for it, simply by choice.

You fall into the catagory of uninformed people who bash microsoft without any knowledge of facts to back it up. I am not an x-box fanboy, or any console fanboy, I have all three and simply play games I like on all three, as for the PC games, you can keep em.
I also see no reason for the hatred of MS, seems like nothing more than childish ranting to me.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2003, 07:03:21 AM »
Amongst all of my friends, noone likes the XB. None of 'em like consoles. They are all pretty happy with their PCs and the versatility that comes with them.

We had a good laugh at a mall where they had an XB kiosk using the brick-controllers ("Well, I wonder how an 8-year old is supposed to hold THAT."). Yes, for most PC gamers I know ALL consoles are kiddie toys.

Offline AERO

• View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2003, 08:06:57 AM »

I wonder how an 8-year old is supposed to hold THAT

Their not. Thats why the median age of gamers is like 25. Well excuse them for actually trying to a appeal to the market that uses the product.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2003, 01:11:58 PM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck

Ninja, are you nothing more than a spoiled 8 year old. I am so sick of seeing your fanboyish drivel it isnt even funny.

Did it ever dawn on you that some people just dont like playing games on a PC, and that money has nothing at all to do with it?
I have a brand new PC, top of the line and dont own own a single game for it and never will.

You fall into the catagory of uninformed people who bash microsoft without any knowledge of facts to back it up. I am not an x-box fanboy, or any console fanboy, I have all three and simply play games I like on all three, as for the PC games, you can keep em.
I also see no reason for the hatred of MS, seems like nothing more than childish ranting to me.

Funny.  It's usually my experience that it's the 8 year olds who run out of arguments and just start insulting the other person first.  If you can't take criticism of the Xbox, then don't read it.  Seriously, there's no reason to start throwing a tantrum just because I happen to think that the Xbox is infringing on PC territory.  I have given arguments to back up my claims.  You have not.  So far it seems like your main argument revolves around me being a spoiled 8 year old.

Did it ever occur to you that some people don't like MS's monopoly, and might actually like playing PC Games on a PC rather than on an Xbox?  I am not a PC gamer either, but I assure you I would rather play a PC Game on its native platform rather than a console.

Now please just do us all a favor and STFU.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2003, 04:15:51 PM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck

Xbox and PC games are like the same thing. People who can't afford to play the game the way it was meant to be played on a PC buy an Xbox. The problem comes from Microsoft nabbing exclusive deals from PC developers, as there are still some powerful console developers who won't have anything to do with Microsoft. Yes, MS is busy screwing the PC industry as usual, but there's nothing we can do about it.

Please enlighten me, when in the hell did you're opinion become the only one that can be expressed here.  Lately you have seemed so bitter and come across as if you are the only one allowed to have an opinion here.  Maybe you are having some problems in your personal life, maybe you should go here for some guidance on how to get over it.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2003, 04:39:52 PM »
Don't care much for NG either :0.

The Xbox is actually the reason why alot of games found their way to the PC, for example, SH2 that you stated you played on the PC.

That's just one example but it shows the benifit of both of them using Direct X.  

So developers are looking at this as killing two birds with one stone.  Why not.   More games per system and more revenue for developers so everyone wins.  

Compared to the others, ps2 would be the hardest to port, GC wouldn't be as bad for mac users (opengl, with  powerPC chip after all) but there's not exactually a big MAC community anymore.

Offline AERO

• View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2003, 07:12:02 PM »
I think the problem with this topic is using the word "infringing" on the pc market. Could it be taking some it? Maybe. Thats not necessarily a bad thing. If it is, please explain again becuase I'm not understanding here. The pc isn't some elite medium that is supposed to be free of competition.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2003, 11:24:23 AM »
Microsoft can have my respect once they have earned it.

Right now, they simply are not impressing me.  They made one of the most unstable operating systems ever, they have infringed on many differents patents with their "innovation", they go through great effort to eliminate their competition, and are the classic modern day evil empire.

Their Xbox is reason enough to hate them IMO.  They took a bunch of off the shelf PC parts, combined it into a new case, dropped in a stripped down version of Windows, and called it a console.  They then turned to PC developers, as console developers wouldn't have anything to do with them at first.  They managed to get a few PC developers to pull their PC versions of a product (at least for a time), and put it on the Xbox instead.  No biggie, as the Xbox is in fact a variant of a PC.  They have continued to lose money on the system, and are simply interested in pushing out Sony and Nintendo at this point, rather than making a profit, as any normal business would want to do.  Make one thing clear.  Microsoft is intending to extend their monopoly.  Not compete.

So why should I give Xbox my respect?  They have 1 or 2 games on their system that I might pick up if they were on GameCube, but nothing I am going to buy the system for.  I regret that I am not as "mature" as CubedCanuck, and arguments such as "You are an 8 year old kid!" are probably much too mature and deep for me to understand well enough to use.  Maybe when the time comes for me to get an Xbox, will I be as mature and wise as the CubedCanuck.

Either that, or I would shoot myself for being such a lamer.

Fine, hate me all you want for my dislike of the Xbox.  Nothing is going to change my opinion on the console short of it becoming something worth playing.  PS2 earned my respect by having games worth playing.  Xbox hasn't.  That simple.  As a fanboy, I am required to buy every Nintendo system, and stand by Nintendo to the end.  It doesn't require me to hate the other consoles.  I think I am smart enough to decide for myself whether a console is crap or not.

And I think the Xbox is crap.  Anyone else like to flame me for having an opinion?  Speak now before the thread is locked.

Offline AERO

• View Profile
Xbox vs PC
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2003, 11:58:58 AM »
So your more upset over the fact that Microsoft is sucessful more then its actual existence? Boo hoo....