Author Topic: Zynga fire 100 workers during apple event.  (Read 2375 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Zynga fire 100 workers during apple event.
« on: October 23, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »
http://m.joystiq.com/2012/10/23/rumor-zynga-boston-austin-chicago-closing-down/?post=1&icid=joystiq_home_latest_art

So Znyga has reportedly fired around 100 people today. The bad thing is that zynga intentional waited for todays apple event to fire employees during an apple event to try and get lost in all the apple press.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Zynga fire 100 workers during apple event.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »
Well, when their stock is apparently valued as "worthless", I'm not surprised Zynga tried to bury this news.  It's unfortunate that this happened and I feel for the now-unemployed workers, but the social games business has been in need of a correction for a while now so this (and more firings in the future) was inevitable.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 04:24:29 PM »
I'm with brood here, I feel bad for the people who are out of a job, but this company deserved to fail, and in the grand sceme of the gaming industry this is a good thing.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 04:27:03 PM »
Why do you think they "deserve" to fail? They have made some pretty good and pretty popular games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 04:38:27 PM »
Popular, sure. Good's a matter of opinion, and is not at all one I'd agree with. They're bad for the industry, though, and stole ideas from other companies and had an unsustainable business model, so **** them.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 04:51:38 PM »
Apple steals ideas all the time (and then claim they are "innovating"), they also overcharge for their products. I don't hear you bitching about them.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 04:58:53 PM »
I think stealing interface design ideas is a lot less of a problem than stealing creative concepts. And since their products sell extremely well, it would appear that the market has decided they're not overcharging.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 05:08:30 PM »
... And since their products sell extremely well, it would appear that the market has decided they're not overcharging.

First point not withstanding, isn't this part true for Zynga as well? They have many successful products, even if some were probably stolen ideas with better marketing.

Apple will steal without remorse with one hand, and use costly litigation to squash competitors with the other. Although I think Apple contributes more originality and innovation than Zynga ever has, they aren't that different in some respects.

Not sure that makes the comparison valid - especially now that Zynga appears to be dying - but it's not one that I would immediately dismiss either.

EDIT: I hate these fucked up forums. They always change spacing and font size on me when writing a response, and now they won't let me close the quote. Whatever. I don't have an issue simply editing text with any forums outside of NWR, and conversation here isn't important enough to really matter... it's just frustrating when automation prevents you from doing something simple.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:06:51 AM by UncleBob »
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 05:59:43 PM »
The difference is between patents, which shouldn't be a thing for software, and copyrights, which should. If Zynga wants to steal game mechanic that's fine, but they wholesale copy their competitors' game ideas.

J.P. Corbran

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 03:28:38 PM »
Zynga is a bunch of shady scammers that operate at the edge of legality and they admitted that themselves.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 12:08:45 AM »
EDIT: [...]and now they won't let me close the quote.

You were missing the closing bracket (the "]") from the initial [quote ] tag.[/quote]
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.