Author Topic: Why don't Nintendo fans like Fighting Games?  (Read 13371 times)

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Why don't Nintendo fans like Fighting Games?
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2003, 07:42:22 AM »
Well if you agree with what I said, then you agree your argument held....3 oz of water.

K.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Why don't Nintendo fans like Fighting Games?
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2003, 08:39:43 AM »
Well, I love fighters! Unfortunately, being console-absent for the entire PSX/N64/DC generation, I haven't got to play many fighting games. Well, my favourite so far was One Must Fall 2097 (PC), because of the tournament mode and few moves. I can't memorize ten ore more moves, especially when there is no point to most.

What I think about the controller: Companies should notice the GC controller is different from the usual ones. That means they shouldn't try to remap the buttons in a weird way, but incorporate the controller's shape. You got an unconventional setup, whay try to apply a conventional control scheme to it? Can't they think of an innovative use of the C-stick? Aiming, for example?

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2003, 09:56:50 AM »

Originally posted by: telaris
I've never played a fighting game in my life, before today. I picked up the demo disk for 10$ and played Soul Calibur 2 everboy said it was a really good game. I thought it was gona be a FPs but to my dismay it was a fighting game. But I really got into and i cant wait to buy it when it comes out

You will love it so much that you will still play it after 5 years. That's how good it is.

Offline Sullichin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2003, 10:00:05 AM »
Argh. SSB. I don't see how people can put that in the same league as real fighting games. It's more like an adventure game. Soul Calibur, Tekken.. I like real fighting games
NIN is teh roxor.

Nintelligent Network :: Smart Nintendo Coverage - Reviews, Guides, Wallpaper, Screenshots, News, and more.

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2003, 10:18:36 AM »
I think Nintendo fans like fighting games when they're good ones.  I seem to remember Killer Instinct Gold selling pretty damn well, and the SNES Street Fighter games as well.

Soul Calibur 2 will sell very well on GC, guaranteed.  Personally, I won't buy it on GC for Link, I'll buy it on GC because I love my wavebird, and after playing the demo it plays FINE on the GC pad.  If they were to release a Tekken game or something similar, you can bet that'd sell, too.

DBZ Budokai is coming to GC, but unless it's been improved quite a bit, I'm not interested, and I suspect most GC fans won't be either.  Why?  So far Atari says it's the same exact game with a bit cleaner graphics... a year later?  Bleh.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2003, 11:15:59 AM »
"Nintendo fans like GOOD fighting games, games that have extra value to them."

What he said.  In fact "Nintendo fans like GOOD _______ games" is pretty much a blanket statement that could work with any genre.

Back in the SNES era I was a fighting game nut.  I used to have a Gamepro subscription and the first section I always checked out was The Fighter's Edge.  I played Street Fighter II to the point that I'm absolutely sick of it and can't play it anymore.  I used to love going to the arcades and checking out some of the Neo-Geo fighters.  In retrospect my love of fighting games didn't really make much sense considering I absolutely sucked at fighting games back then.  The N64 didn't really get many fighting game so I stopped keeping up with the fighting game scene.

Today's fighting games are so similar to each other I really don't see any need to have tons of them available for the Gamecube.  Sure hardcore fighting fans can spot the differences between Tekken, Virtua Fighter, and Dead or Alive but to the average person they're similar enough that one really only needs one of them.  So in the end I really only care about the best title for each sub-genre of fighting games.  Super Smash Bros. Melee is pretty unique so naturally I have that.  Most 2D fighters are the same and I already have Street Fighter Alpha 3 for my PSX so I don't need another 2D fighter (though I wish Capcom would change up the genre a bit).  Virtua Fighter 4 is often called the best 3D fighter without weapons so naturally I wish that would come to Gamecube.  In fact VF4 is one of those titles that has gotten of a fair bit of "why isn't this on Gamecube" discussion on this forum.

And then there's Soul Calibur 2 which is being called the best fighting game EVER and it is coming to Gamecube.  So since the best fighting game ever is coming to Gamecube do we really need anything else?  The average gamer (who isn't a fighter nut) probably only needs to have one fighter so if we can already get the best why complain that we don't get the rest?

Personally Soul Calibur 2 is at the top of my "most wanted" list right now.  It's even higher than F-Zero and I'm a huge F-Zero nut.  I bought the demo disc pretty much just for SC2.

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2003, 11:36:24 AM »

Originally posted by: Sullichin
Argh. SSB. I don't see how people can put that in the same league as real fighting games. It's more like an adventure game. Soul Calibur, Tekken.. I like real fighting games

That's like saying "I don't consider Baseball a real sport," or "The PS2 has a DVD player, thus making it
not a video game machine."  While they're your opinions, if you speak them in public, you will get ridiculed.  Similar to what I'm doing now, but I'm in a good mood.  Explain to me how SSB:M is any different from Power Stone?  Because it's not from Capcom?

Here's the way I see it:

1. Creators say "Hey, let's make a fighting game!"
2. Fighting game is made.
3. No one says "Dude, that's not a fighting game."
4. Everyone is happy!

-- ShockingAlberto  
Press X to run.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2003, 12:04:34 PM »
"In fact "Nintendo fans like GOOD _______ games" is pretty much a blanket statement that could work with any genre."

EXACTLY, and that's the number one reason most 3rd party games don't sell well on the Gamecube- we'd rather spend our money on games that are actually good, not the monkey feces that is usually passed off as "hip" nowadays. People say it's good to have competition and that it helps make the industry better but when Sony took over their industry and built the success of their console soley on major 3rd parties, said 3rd parties soon found even crappy games could sell and they became the dominant force in the industry. 3rd party games don't sell compared to Nintendo's games because Nintendo's are so much better, yet 3rd parties don't try to bring the level of quality in their games up to Nintendo standards because it's much easier to release them on the XBox and PS2 where they know it will sell since it's the only thing those console owners have. In my opinion, the worst thing that ever happened to videogames was when 1st parties died out in console makers- if MS and Sony had 1st and 2nd parties half as good as Nintendo's, there'd be a LOT better games since 3rd parties would actually have to release good games to compete.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2003, 03:33:24 PM »
The GCN controller isn't exactly ideal for fighters...
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Tael

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2003, 03:44:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Ninja X
The GCN controller isn't exactly ideal for fighters...
No controller is ideal for fighters. You need an arcade stick.

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2003, 03:48:47 PM »
True.  But out of the three console controllers (PS2, GCN, and X-box), I find GCN's to be uncomfortable.  That small D-pad irks me, especially since I have big fingers.  Also note I'm not a fan of joysticks when it comes to fighting games.  Especially those that rely on combos.
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2003, 06:05:27 PM »
I can never get into fighting games. And I'm an Asian male for crying out loud! I should have played at LEAST 1000 hours of Streetfighter when I was younger and kicked everyone's ass at the arcades, but I didn't.
SSBM is the only fighter that I've put more than 2 hours into.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2003, 09:18:47 PM »
i did find a problem on soul caliber 2...you know...soul caliber for dc played great on the dc joystick...however it didnt play so smoothly on gcns...
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2003, 09:20:47 PM »
OMG, i can't believe there are fighting game haters out there, sure its not going to be everybody's favorite.  Heck one of my favorite games back when i was a kid was streetfighter.  But as everybody has said, GCN just really hasn't had a real stellar fighting game.  I would get capcom vs snk eo but i simply hated sony and never followed the new capcom fighters and the gameplay is really weird to me now.

And Ive recently tried getting into the newer capcom ones at my friends houses and stuff but i can't get into it.  I still find myself firing up street fighter 2 on my snes instead.  And I've played the DoA series and it got old after like an hour, nothing really different about this game at all compared to tekken and SC.

In conclusion I just would like to say that the only real good fighting games released in the past 5 years or so are tekken 3, soul calibur, ssb, ssbm and virtua fighter 4.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2003, 09:25:54 PM »
quick note on the subject of fighters, was there ever a street fighter 1? cause i know there are like a zillion street fighter 2 games.. is this all some big joke?

im going to buy the hori digital pad when i get soul calibur, i was thinking of getting their SC2 arcade stick, but ill go with the SNES style digital controller, it will make plaiyng GBA games on the GBP easier too

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2003, 10:58:43 PM »
Er...yeah. If there was a Street Fighter 2, then obviously there would be a Street Fighter 1.

And DaBoXSuX, I know your post probably wasn't directed at me, but I just wanna say to everyone that I don't hate fighting games, I just can't get into them. I can play them, it's just that they don't hold my interest like say Zelda or Mario. BUT, if I can memorize all of a game's combos, then obviously I will enjoy. I just find it weird how when I game's just released, some people already know all the combos, like my friend, who has Tekken Tag. He bought the game with me, we went back to his house, and he had like one look at the list and he was fighting like a pro. Weird.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2003, 02:44:08 AM »
I like fighting games.  I have Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2 and others on my Dreamcast.

It just that I don't play them as much as I play the other games (Zelda, Super Monkey Ball etc).  I'm okay at fighting games, but the thing the annoys me is remembering the moves and combos.  I usually forget them when in the heat of a fight.  Like, when I want to perform this move, I forget.  And I don't like to button mash.  And I dislike learning a new character, because you have to learn their moves.  Then I forget the previous character's moves.  Aw, school really messed my memory!....

But I'll probably be getting Soul Calibur 2.

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2003, 07:23:32 AM »
I love fighting games, and I continue to play my Dreamcast because of the original Soul Calibur and the dozens of arcade perfect ports from Capcom and SNK.

The problem with GC fans not talking about fighting games as much is because we don't get many. I can count the number that GC has on one hand right now. A good fighting game can do well on the GC if it's the  concept's right and is promoted full heartedly. Link in Soul Calibur was a BRILLIANT idea for instance. Naruto, because of it's anime/artistic style, could be a good fit for the GC.

Another hurdle is the controller. The GC pad is brilliant for everything...except fighters. As crappy as the PS2 pad is, I think it's pretty much the prefered pad for fighting fans these days. I wished Nintendo had an alternative like the Hori pad right from the start, except with a Sega Saturn like button placement--but that would be hard to justify when you go back to the fact that Nintendo has few fighters to begin with. A new pad won't fix that.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2003, 08:11:53 AM »
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline CastlevaniaFreak

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2003, 11:01:44 AM »
I have Capcom VS SNK 2 on GC and I think it rocks, I actualy would like to see MORE fighters on the GC...Guilty Gear,Garou,More SSB  uhm...some new SF games.

One of the problems is people hate the awsome GC controller for fighters,with good reason,since well....its harder to play with.

I am going to order a two player x arcade stick soon anyway,for my GC and for my MAME machine.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2003, 02:00:59 PM »
I'm actually pretty good using an analog stick since I played Killer Instinct Gold to death when it came out.  An arcade stick would be best, but I can't stand trying to play with a D-Pad.

I just don't think that the GC controller is much of an excuse.  You can pick up a PlayCube for like $5 or you can get a decent arcade stick.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline David G

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2003, 02:01:40 PM »
Guilty Gear would definately rock on GCN.  I'm waiting for SC2, I have all three systems and Link seems like the best out of spawn and Heihachi.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2003, 05:01:22 AM »
I'm still wondering why the GC controller is bad for fighting games. IMO you need just directions and two buttons (punch, kick) for a fighter. In OMF you could press forward+punch to make a jab, so why use an extra button for that? Maybe GC fighting games shouldn't have a classic setup, but something adjusted for the GC controller. Like I said, we have a C-stick, now use it!

Offline outlawstar0817

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2003, 07:50:05 AM »
actually i think the best fighter is obviously ssbm but we are talking one on one so i guess we havent had a decent fighter on gcn.  i mean we had bloody roar and it was ok but not as good as DOA on xbox and other games like...virtua fighter 4 and my fav fighting game SC on Dreamcast.  but we will get SC2 in a while so dont worry.  but im a classic fighter to death and love games like street fighter 2 and street fighter turbo for snes. thats my fav fighting game of all time....street fighter 2!!!NOW THOSE WERE FIGHTING GAMES!!! i tried playing these new capcom and snk. and stuff because they has old school fighters but i didnt like to my advantage.  but lots of people like those so it should be good. but SC2 is COMING!!!!
deep into that darkness pearing
long i stood there,
wondering,
fearing,
doubting....

-edgar allan poe-
                               ED