Author Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2  (Read 8412 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
« on: June 01, 2012, 07:33:02 AM »
I just watched the trailer. DO NOT WATCH IT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE SPOILERS OF THE ORIGINAL. The trailer gives away a major part of he ending though, it's kind of hard to make a sequel without doing so. Anyway, the trailer looked entirely CG. I'm still excited about it because I loved the original.

A few things:
- It looks like it takes place after the Resurrection DLC meaning, among other things, Gabriel is a vampire, but before the epilogue which is kind of disappointing. Maybe the game takes place in different eras like Mirror Of Fate.
- Gabriel obviously doesn't have the Combat Cross but seems to make due. This excites me because the Combat Cross was used for most of the original's puzzles so MercurySteam seems to be thinking outside the box. Gabriel showed some of his new moves. Maybe Cox and co. got tired of their game being compared to God of War... And wanted to be compared to Force Unleashed.
- Gabriel looks like he gets younger after he does that thing that vampires do.
- I'm pretty sure the character teased at the end of the trailer is the Lords of Shadow canon version of Alucard.
- There was no Wii U logo at the end. Boo-urns. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't come to Wii U. I'm just pointing out that it wasn't there. With Mirror of Fate coming to 3DS, I expect everyone who interviews David Cox at E3 to ask him if Lords of Shadow 2 (and the original for that matter) will be ported to Wii U. That question has to be expected at this point.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 08:04:43 AM by Adrock »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:00:09 AM »
I thought that debut teaser trailer was really bad ass, between the action and the return of the dramatic symphonic music.  Plus, the sweet music of all those Castlevania fans crying that Lords of Shadow "isn't Castlevania" has just been beautiful in internet comments.   ;D   I was surprised to not see a Wii U logo as well, but I'm really looking forward to this game's release next year.  I hope they put out another  LE with the soundtrack like last time, because if the trailer is any indication it'll be another good Lords of Shadow Soundtrack.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 08:12:06 AM »
I read some comments around the internets. Some people don't think you play as Gabriel. I really hope they're wrong. Besides making that teaser kind of a waste, it'd be a missed opportunity for MercurySteam to really go their own way with the game. While I really enjoyed Lords of Shadow, it was obvious where their influences came from. It worked for the most part. The trailer practically goes out of its way to show how anti-Lords of Shadow it is. Some may not like it, but I think it shows progress. I don't want to just play more Lords of Shadow so I appreciate the changes the trailer seems to indicate.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 05:09:18 PM »
From the story details Konami has leaked, it looks like you'll play as Gabriel/Dracula, whose vampire powers have weakened over time.  In true Simon's Quest-style, you have to run around and reclaim your former powers to fight some greater Evil.  Apparently, you'll be fighting the Belmont Clan as well.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »
Why are playing as a vampire in a game series about destroying vampires? I wish that theyr would keep the Belmonts as the hunters of vampires. Why is a Belmont even a vampire?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:54:51 PM »
Play the first one then all will be answered.

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 08:57:17 AM »
I started Castlevania Lords of Shadow about a month ago. I really enjoyed what I played so far.  The big spoiler at the end was already spoiled for me though by then.   I need to get around and finish that game, but most of my game time has went to Diablo 3.

Still really looking forward to this.  I have really enjoyed what Mercury Steam has done with the original LOS so far.  I know there are some haters on it, but I have enjoyed it.  Really hoping LOS 2 comes to Wii U.  As that would be my primary place to play it then.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 12:27:15 PM »
Wonder if it's going have multiple story lines/characters.  One you'll be playing as Gabriel (who's now the vampire) but also as one of his desendants from the Belmont family line (hense the puny human you saw holding the sword in the trailer).

Anyhow I look forward to this title :).

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 02:07:04 PM »
Wonder if it's going have multiple story lines/characters.  One you'll be playing as Gabriel (who's now the vampire) but also as one of his desendants from the Belmont family line (hense the puny human you saw holding the sword in the trailer).
Puny human? I'm confident that the figure at the end is supposed to be Alucard. I suppose it could be Hector, but with the way MercurySteam dropped references and reimagined characters from the original series in Lords of Shadow, I feel like Alucard is bound to make an appearance.

I wouldn't doubt multiple storylines since Mirror of Fate is confirmed to be going in that direction.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 11:52:38 PM »
I'm a few chapters into the original. I'm kind of stuck at one part, though: it's in a big tree where you begin fighting giant spiders (which are cool). It's not always clear where you can and can't jump though, so I'm dying a lot by falling into surprise pits.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 12:15:26 AM »
I'm a few chapters into the original. I'm kind of stuck at one part, though: it's in a big tree where you begin fighting giant spiders (which are cool). It's not always clear where you can and can't jump though, so I'm dying a lot by falling into surprise pits.

Yeah, that's not the world's greatest section, though I didn't have much trouble with it. I thought the original Lords of Shadow was rather up-and-down until around chapter 3 or so, after you take down Cornell.

That reminds me, though: something I really liked about Lords of Shadow was how it would not only drop references to things from other Castlevania games, but fairly obscure ones as well.  Take Cornell for example: the werewolf main character from a game that not many people played and even fewer liked (Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness on the N64).  The big boss of the Lords of Shadow DLC was a bonus boss from Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, another 3D Castlevania game that wasn't especially well-received.

I hope this trend continues with Lords of Shadow 2, and it seems like it does because the mysterious warrior at the end of the teaser trailer looks a lot like Hector Belmont from Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (the other troubled PS2 Castlevania game).  Plus, Konami's already confirmed that Gabriel will be fighting Belmonts, so it makes sense.

I hope that Lords of Shadow 2 has more world-building like its predecessor as well, because the mythology presented in that game was one of the things that got me into the game the most.

I'd actually like to play those two PS2 Castlevanias some day, whenever Konami gets around to finally putting them up as PS2 Classics on PSN.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:29:43 AM by broodwars »