Author Topic: Any Vita owners here?  (Read 44066 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Any Vita owners here?
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 07:02:21 PM »
I picked up my Vita today along with my free copy of Wipeout 2048 and the free case, though sadly my 32 GB memory card did NOT arrive.  I have a 4 GB card that came with something else I picked up, so I'll be good for a little while but unfortunately that means I can't transfer all my PSP games over yet.  I'll probably have to pick 1 and hope for the best over my vacation.  I'm really happy with how well my screen protector sheet went on, thanks to the guide it was attached to initially.  There's a sliver of the screen that's uncovered, but it's a corner I'm not likely to ever use and I already got the cover on with no bubbles so I can live with it.  If it weren't for that little sliver of uncovered screen, you wouldn't even be able to tell at a glance that there is a protective cover over it.

From a sheer hardware standpoint, I'm really liking the Vita.  The OS feels pretty user-friendly, and a lot of the obnoxious bugs reported at launch seem to have been fixed.  For instance, the issue where it want you to download a firmware update before you could link your PSN account has been fixed.  Like the PSP, the Vita also came with a handy startup guide, so figuring out how to get started was easy.  The device's online functionality also seems waaay faster than the PS3's, perplexingly.  It downloads updates much faster, and it seems to transfer data much faster as well.

My biggest complaint so far is that the Vita REALLY doesn't want you actually opening its panels.  You really have to force them open, which wouldn't be such a big deal if it was only the memory card slot but this is also true for the Vita game card slot as well.  I'm also really not a fan of the way Sony forces you to transfer data between the PS3 and Vita.  Before I bought the Vita, I redownloaded all my old PSP games and the few Vita digital games I own and left them on the XMB ready for transfer.  With the PSP, you could select that file on the PS3 and then tell the OS to install it on the PSP.  It would then ask you whether you wanted to keep the data on the PS3 or not after the copy is finished.  With the Vita, though, you have to log into your PSN account on the PS3, hook the two devices up, and THEN use the Vita to select the things you want to transfer over.  Then the Vita automatically deletes everything from the PS3 that it installs on the Vita.  This wouldn't annoy me so much if I didn't know that I'm going to have to do this all over again once my 32 GB card arrives, so that means redownloading to my PS3 anything I put on this 4 GB card (unless I can back-up applications along with save data).

On the plus side, at least my Vita can actually access my home's online connection on its own.  My PSP lacked the technical ability to access my network through my network security.

I'm currently waiting on some games to transfer over to my Vita, but I'm looking forward to playing some Escape Plan soon followed by some Uncharted and Lumines.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 07:52:10 PM »
OK, Lumines Electronic Symphony kicks ass. The music and general "feel" of the game are so much better than PSN's "Lumines Supernova".

EDIT: Uncharted: Golden Abyss has been pretty entertaining these first couple of chapters, though the game makes it clear that Sony didn't really think the placement of the right analog stick through.  It's kind of difficult to use it with the hand position that use to press the buttons and right shoulder button.  I'll probably get used to it after a while, but it's kind of annoying early on.

Wipeout 2048 was a good pick for my free game.  It feels like Mario Kart combined with F-Zero, has a great sense of speed, and looks great as well.

Escape Plan is a beautiful game that does a good job of being what the other Vita game are not: something that actually feels like a portable experience you're meant to pick up and play when you have spare time.  I can see already why there were so many complaints about using the back touch, though.  It really is hard to accurately hit something with the back touch since you can't see where your fingers are.  Combine that with the very time sensitive nature of the puzzles, and things can get messy quickly.  Still, I'm enjoying it.

I don't much care for Motorstorm RC, but considering the game was a PSN freebie it's really hard to complain about it.  It is kind of annoying seeing all the hooks the game has to try to get you to buy DLC, though.

Dissidia Final Fantasy 012 Duodecim (gotta love Square-Enix's love for absurd names) was the one PSP game I tried on the Vita, and overall it looks good after adding the bilinear filtering.  Because this game had camera control mapped to the D-pad, I could assign the Right analog stick to that functionality for real right analog stick camera control.  The more PSP games where I can map the camera control to the right analog stick, the happier I'll be.

Overall, after my first few hours with the Vita I'm really happy with it.  It's a very well-made system with some very solid and enjoyable experiences so far, especially the new Lumines (which has an outstanding track list so far).  It's a pity that it's so expensive, though.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:46:28 AM by broodwars »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 01:59:55 AM »
I don't plan to get a Vita until it's less than $200, but thanks to Sony I already have a game for it (the PS Vita version of MotorStorm RC was given out for free due to a promotion between Sony and Scion).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 11:57:59 PM »
Just a minor update, but my 32 GB memory card came in the other day, and after a brief time backing up and restoring my data to the new card I was able to transfer almost all my PSP games to the new card without incident.  The sole exception, sadly, was Resistance Retribution.  The really puzzling thing, though, is that if you live in Europe the game can be downloaded onto the Vita or otherwise transferred to it.  But you can't do it in NA.  Considering it's a game that would really benefit from right stick camera control, Sony needs to get that game back up on the Vita PSN Store for redownload as soon as possible.

I swear, though, Sony must have the worst server I've ever experienced running the FL area Vita PSN.  The thing was randomly down almost all of yesterday, making the whole process of restoring all my Vita data quite annoying (some information, like Near and Trophy data, require syncing with PSN), as well as downloading some of the demos I couldn't hold before due to lack of space.

Which reminds me, I tried the demo for the Vita Katamari game, and it may very well be the first game in the series I could get into, as it's the first one I've played with decent controls (left stick to move the character, right to move the camera).  The whole "stretch" and "squeeze" mechanic with the back touch screen works really well, too.  I also tried the demo for Unit 13, which is not abysmal like I expected from my time with this company's previous SOCOM 4.  It still has that aura of generic laziness, but at least it's a competent shooter now (which SOCOM 4 certainly wasn't).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 08:06:06 PM »
As I was saying in the Rate the Last Game You Played thread, I'm buying a Vita next week, and I'm trying to decide what games to get with it. I'm definitely getting Rayman and MLB The Show, and I'll probably have enough for one more game, but I don't know what I want.

The main three I'm considering are Uncharted, Resistance and Unit 13. Despite mediocre reviews, I'm leaning toward Unit 13 at the moment, because most of the things people complain about are things I don't care about, and it seems well-suited to a handheld.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me to consider, or opinions on my choices?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2012, 08:37:35 PM »
Super Stardust Delta, Wipeout, Gravity Rush?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2012, 08:49:30 PM »
Super Stardust I'll probably get, as well as Mutant Blobs Attack; I was referring to retail games (though not actually retail games, because I'll be buying all of this digitally).

I just never got into the PS3 Wipeout game, so I'm not in a rush to go out and buy this one, and Gravity Rush isn't out yet, and from everything I've seen of it I don't see why everyone's in love with it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2012, 09:41:20 PM »
As I said in the related thread, I'd recommend Uncharted: Golden Abyss or Lumines: Electronic Symphony, depending on the kind of void you want to fill in your Vita software lineup.  Both have demos, so you can check them out before making a final decision.  If you like fighting games, I've heard very good things about the Vita version of Mortal Kombat as well, and there's certainly plenty to keep you busy there.

By the way, as it came with my Vita due to a GameStop promotion I do have Wipeout 2048, and it's a good game but a brutally hard one.  It plays like Mario Kart combined with F-Zero, with all the good and bad that entails.  I've had fun with the game, but it's not one I would recommend.

EDIT: By the way, I can't stress enough the importance of slapping one of Sony's official screen protectors on your Vita before you start using it.  So many of the retail games and the entire OS require tapping or swiping on that screen, you'll want something there to protect it.  Why Sony's?  The one I used had a plastic guide that extended over the right analog stick and buttons to make it easy to line-up the screen and easily place it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:05:43 PM by broodwars »

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2012, 01:05:02 AM »
Vita is a cool piece of kit but Sony seems to be signaling a price cut in the near future:
From http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/05/hiroshi-kawano-vita-interview/

“Because creators have a lot of enthusiasm for the Vita, we [at Sony] must create an upswing in the market and prepare an environment where they feel comfortable making games" - Kawano, SCEJ president
[/size][/color]
[/size]This upswing must surely be a price cut...big new games that are shown at E3 would likely not be available til Fall at the earliest. I can't see Sony playing chicken like this for that long, just waiting for their competitors to make more moves, with the long-term health of the platform at stake.[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]If you DO get one tho, man there a lot of PSP gems to enjoy...TACTICS OGRE would be my prime pick for anyone who likes RPGs or strategy.[/color]

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2012, 01:15:16 AM »
I don't see a price drop coming this soon. Sony doesn't have as much room to move as Nintendo did when they cut the 3DS price, and I don't think the price is the problem with the Vita as much as the lack of software. I think Sony would be wise to ride out the current price for a while to see if more software will improve sales.

And yes, the PSP games are a big part of this for me, since I never owned one. I'd probably go with War of the Lions if I wanted a tactics game, though, since I never played the original Final Fantasy Tactics.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2012, 01:59:04 AM »
And yes, the PSP games are a big part of this for me, since I never owned one. I'd probably go with War of the Lions if I wanted a tactics game, though, since I never played the original Final Fantasy Tactics.

I have the Tactics Ogre remake, and a considerable amount of more work went into that remake than FF Tactics'.  I'd recommend that one first.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:39:39 AM by broodwars »

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2012, 01:44:16 AM »
I don't see a price drop coming this soon. Sony doesn't have as much room to move as Nintendo did when they cut the 3DS price, and I don't think the price is the problem with the Vita as much as the lack of software. I think Sony would be wise to ride out the current price for a while to see if more software will improve sales.

I agree that killer software would be the most important selling point...but is adequate quality software in the pipeline? I really don't know, and my hope would be that E3 serves as a launching pad for excitement over the platform's upcoming killer lineup.
My honest take is that Vita development is too risky and expensive a proposition for most publishers (outside of Sony) because the market segment it serves is not large enough to support the cost for developing the kinds of games that would satisfy them. Except for upgraded ports, of which development risk is spread over other platforms, and Sony's own heavy hitters (GoW, Uncharted, Wipeout, Jak, Smash clone, etc) my fear is the system will see little more than niche titles from studios like Nippon Ichi and the folks who made "Argh My Little Sister Is SO Cute I can Hardly Stand It".

But perhaps that Call of Duty title will carry it on the West, hopefully latest Fall/winter.

More importantly however....dude what will it take to get you to play TACTICS OGRE first before War of the Lions? War of the Lions is a damn fine game made by the same folks but TACTICS OGRE is legend. It's like the obviously hot girl (FFT) vs the super-attractive girl with the sneaky hot body and best of all this subtle, wry sense of humor that has you shaking your head and chuckling hours and days after the last time you met up with her.
Or something like that.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »
Alright, alright, I'll look into Tactics Ogre before I make my final decision. I don't know if either one of them will make my initial purchase list, though, as I'm stretching as it is to be able to afford the system right now in addition to my E3 trip.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Tlon

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2012, 09:42:11 AM »
Since you are already planning on getting Rayman. I would recommend waiting for Gravity Rush since only 2 weeks aways, or getting Lumines. Patapoon from the PSP library is great in case you haven't played it, also Locoroco.

Furthermore, Rayman, Mutant Blobs Attack, and Super Stardust will keep you busy for a long time. So you don't have to rush to buy more game for now.
"hlör u fang axaxaxas mlö"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2012, 12:31:54 PM »
I know I don't have to rush to buy a ton of games, but I am most likely going to like I always do. I like the idea of going back to PSP games, because they're less expensive (meaning I can buy more of them). If I do buy a Vita game in addition to Rayman and MLB The Show, it's most likely going to be Unit 13, because it seems like I'm trying to talk myself out of it. The only thing that might change that is if Resistance gets really good reviews.

I read up on Tactics Ogre, and I have to say it sounds like the people pushing it in this thread were right to do so. Really, though, if I'm going to buy a tactical game right out of the gate I'll probably go for Valkyria Chronicles 2 or new front-runner R-Type Command.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2012, 12:51:11 PM »
Really, though, if I'm going to buy a tactical game right out of the gate I'll probably go for Valkyria Chronicles 2 or new front-runner R-Type Command.

I'm quite open about my love for Valkyria Chronicles and I'm someone who bought a PSP largely for Valkyria Chronicles 2.  However, I really can't recommend that anyone else buy it.  I largely didn't believe the complaints about the high school/military academy setting going into the game, but man the hatred for that game's setting and characters is so completely justified.  The game has some good ideas, and the Valkyria Chronicles battle system is as awesome as ever, but there's just so much wanton stupidity and anime cliches in the characters; story; and setting that it's a hard game to recommend.

That said, I'm only probably about 1/4 of the way through the game and it could improve.  I just never feel any compulsion to play it.  It's a pity we'll probably never get Valkyria Chronicles 3, though, because I've heard that game returns to the awesomeness of the original game.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:36:53 PM by broodwars »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2012, 01:34:46 PM »
Story is rarely a major concern for me; I can put up with problems there if the gameplay stays good. As I said, though, at the moment I'm loving the idea of R-Type Command. I prefer sci-fi settings to fantasy, and a turn-based tactical side-scrolling shoot-'em-up is an intriguing concept.

EDIT: After further research, it appears Irem took all their games off PSN about a year ago, so R-Type Command is sadly not an option. Also, Valkyria Chronicles 2 is still $40, and I'm not paying that, so Tactics Ogre takes the lead among tactics games.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:24:04 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Tlon

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2012, 02:22:51 PM »
IIf I do buy a Vita game in addition to Rayman and MLB The Show, it's most likely going to be Unit 13, because it seems like I'm trying to talk myself out of it. The only thing that might change that is if Resistance gets really good reviews.

There is a demo for Unit 13 on the PSN store on Vita. You could try it before buying it. Plus I think Resistance might end up becoming the better game of the two. We are only a couple of days from its release so reviews should start popping up any time soon.
"hlör u fang axaxaxas mlö"

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2012, 02:49:43 AM »
O my goshness, what is this...I just happened to bump into this link right here with many amazing musics and arts:
http://na.tacticsogregame.com/

My day now has a smile on it  :D

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2012, 09:54:29 AM »
The main three I'm considering are Uncharted, Resistance and Unit 13. Despite mediocre reviews, I'm leaning toward Unit 13 at the moment, because most of the things people complain about are things I don't care about, and it seems well-suited to a handheld.

(I don't own a Vita, my brother-in-law does. Comments are based on limited experience with the games from me and his comments after playing extensively.)

Unit 13 isn't really a game worth owning.  It's competent but unimpressive.  However, for a launch title it does well enough that it's not a bad choice at this point in the Vita lifecycle.  My take is that you might be better off grabbing one of the more impressive PSP titles even though they are older and don't take advantage of the Vita improvements.

Uncharted is a better game and probably worth playing despite being really short and with limited replay value. Better to buy second-hand if you have the chance.  The only complaint I have (outside of being short on content) is that touch controls felt forced and out of place. I'm not against touch controls at all, but it felt like they were added here just to "break in" gamers who aren't used to Sony systems having a touch screen.

No comments about Resistance as I haven't seen or heard anything that one yet.  Early reviews aren't promising... but it probably depends on how much you pay and what your expectations are going in?

I agree that Vita probably won't see a price drop so soon. Sony really needs some quality software to hit... but right now even a price drop probably won't spur sales enough without games to sustain the momentum, so why bother cutting into their (eventual) revenue? 

Frankly, it's not like 3DS is killing them on the software front either. A handful of very good games have been released on that platform but it's been quiet since Kid Icarus and I'm not sure when the next "big" game is coming. So there isn't really any pressure being applied by the competition.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Uncle_Optimus

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2012, 11:14:44 AM »
Cutting price is always one way to increase sales :)
...but I do gotta agree that with such paltry software options anyway Sony would likely be better off announcing a KILLER fall/winter lineup, seeing if that takes the platform off "life support" and then adjusting pricing strategy from there.

Perhaps it will be their counter stroke for when (if Nintendo DS Lite timing is any indication) the "3DS Pro" or whatever it will be is announced spring/summer next year.

But c'mon Sony, its gotta be KILLERRR. It is up to them to prove their target market is still viable.

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2012, 09:58:14 AM »
Hi, just thought I'd chime in.
I've had my Vita for about a month now. At first I was pretty under whelmed, I held off on buying a game whilst I played through PSN demos and got reacquainted with my PSP download games.
My main problem with it was those analog sticks, they didn't feel good at all to me.

But now I'm on my 2nd play through of Uncharted, I'm used to the controls and really looking forward to playing more games. As others have said the touch screen stuff in Uncharted is terrible and it's a pretty short game, but otherwise it's a lot of fun. It's the first game I'll played this year that I have wanted to continue playing straight after the credits rolled (although I do plan on going back to Resident Evil and Ace Combat on 3DS to play through harder settings too).

My heart sank after the Vita was so ignored by Sony in their E3 press event. But now the trailers from their booth are all online I am looking forward to Strangers Wrath, Jet Set Radio & Gucamelee. 2 ports and a cross format title I know, but all games that will suit me best on a handheld device. Nothing to drag me away from Paper Mario on 3DS but plenty to keep me coming back.

I wish Sony would sort out Remote Play properly as teased last year with Killzone 3. As it stands Pixel Junk Eden works okay, but that's really all. I know others here have been dismissive of this feature, but this is something that I would use a lot.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2012, 12:39:52 AM »
I picked mine up in time for my E3 trip, and I bought a whole bunch of games for it. MLB The Show, Resistance, Rayman and FIFA, plus Super Stardust and Mutant Blobs Attack, Tactics Ogre, Mega Man and Harvest Moon for PSP and about half a dozen PS Minis. Still haven't gotten to everything yet, but I'm very happy with my purchase so far. I like this thing's d-pad a lot. I hated previous Sony d-pads, but this one's probably the best non-Nintendo d-pad I've ever used.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2012, 11:55:50 AM »
I picked mine up in time for my E3 trip, and I bought a whole bunch of games for it. MLB The Show, Resistance, Rayman and FIFA, plus Super Stardust and Mutant Blobs Attack, Tactics Ogre, Mega Man and Harvest Moon for PSP and about half a dozen PS Minis.

Insanolord, I know you said you haven't got round to most of it yet but I'd be interested in what you make of Resistance and Mutant Blobs Attack.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2012, 12:00:41 PM »
I'd like to know if you've tried the Lumines ES demo yet as well.