Author Topic: Any Vita owners here?  (Read 44103 times)

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
Any Vita owners here?
« on: April 12, 2012, 07:16:58 AM »
Think I might get one.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Any Vita owners here?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 08:47:42 AM »
I've been tempted, but the value isn't there for me yet.

If I give it 3-4 months, and there are more games out plus I'm still interested in it, then I'll take a more serious look at getting it.  I just want to make sure it isn't an impulse buy I'll regret later.  I'm also waiting to see what Wii U looks like once it's actually revealed, because that Vita money could go towards a Wii U, and I already have a 3DS for handheld purposes.  The big selling point to me is the connectivity its supposed to have with my Playstation 3.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:58:13 AM by lolmonade »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:05:20 AM »
If I had cash to spend on useless ****, yeah...I'd buy one.

I heard if you have a jailbroken PS3 *ahem* you can play your PS3 games on the Vita using remote play. Playing Skyrim while flying on a plane sounds pretty awesome.

Not worth the ticket price for that alone I'm afraid.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:19:04 AM »
I got one last week. I bought Lumines, Hot Shots Golf, and Mutant Blobs Attack. MBA is the best game on the system right now, but it's also an $8 platformer, so I don't think I'd buy the system just for that. I've never played Lumines, so that's a lot of fun. And HSG is like Mario Golf (it's even made by former Camelot people, I believe).

I've also been playing the free MotorStorm RC game, which is like RC Pro Am and surprisingly fun.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »
I plan on buying one in the near future, mainly to play my PSP games with better controls and a better screen. I'll probably pick up Lumines, Uncharted, and Resistance: Burning Skies when it releases.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:32:11 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 03:50:35 PM »
I already have a PS3, so I have access to 90% of the Vita's existing and future library and can enjoy it on a much larger screen.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 04:06:54 PM »
I already have a PS3, so I have access to 90% of the Vita's existing and future library and can enjoy it on a much larger screen.

Really? It can play 90% of Vita and PSP games? I wish I knew about that feature...

I know we're a Nintendo site, but don't say things that are just blatantly trolling other systems.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 04:18:56 PM »
Maybe 90% is an exaggeration, but its not trolling. Its a fact. The uncharted and God of war games that originally came to the PSP were later ported to the PS3 and with better graphics and controls. So why would I need to buy a PSP/Vita if I wanted to play these games?

I understand the Vita games are all new and haven't been ported over to the PS3 yet. The keyword here is "yet". I believe eventually they will be.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 04:57:53 PM »
Maybe 90% is an exaggeration, but its not trolling. Its a fact. The uncharted and God of war games that originally came to the PSP were later ported to the PS3 and with better graphics and controls. So why would I need to buy a PSP/Vita if I wanted to play these games?

There isn't a PSP Uncharted game. Only MGS Peacewalker and the 2 PSP GoW games have been ported over IIRC.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 05:02:04 PM »
I'm going to look very hard at buying one next month. My E3 trip is mostly paid off, so I should have the money, and since I never had a PSP I'd have a huge library available from the get-go.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 06:14:16 PM »
For remote play on PSP/Vita you need to be connected to the same WiFi network (or USB) as your PS3...so yes you could play Skyrim on a plane...but you'd have to bring the PS3 as well, and a wireless router...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 06:16:54 PM »
For remote play on PSP/Vita you need to be connected to the same WiFi network (or USB) as your PS3...so yes you could play Skyrim on a plane...but you'd have to bring the PS3 as well, and a wireless router...

Not to mention your PS3 probably has to be on already, if my brief experience with PSP remote play is any indication.  Plus, I don't think the Vita has L3 and R3 buttons built into the analog sticks, so for games that use them you'd lose that functionality on Vita.

Sony likes to hype remote play, but I've never understood what benefit there is to that functionality given all the things that have to be triggered to use it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 06:21:09 PM »
Well it is awesome to play MK2 on the PSP (which of course is also possible with Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play...or the PSX MK2), but ohter than that...meh.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 06:22:45 PM »
If you have to have an active PS3 within wifi range, why wouldn't you just... you know... play the game on the PS3?
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 06:24:14 PM »
At least the "Crossplay" feature is pretty cool, where you can transfer data between Vita and PS3 versions of your games so you can continue your progress on the Go and vice-versa.  Sony has been pretty good so far at getting publishers to actually support that feature, too.  I have a couple of games already where when I bought the PS3 version of the DLC or game I got the Vita version as well (Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3's DLC and The Pinball Arcade PSN title).

If you have to have an active PS3 within wifi range, why wouldn't you just... you know... play the game on the PS3?

That's pretty much my argument.

In any case, I took my first step towards purchasing a Vita today when I ordered the extremely overpriced 32 GB memory card.  It should arrive sometime next week, which is about the time I plan on getting my Vita + some protective screen covers.  I hope my PSP case can still hold the Vita, as I'd rather not purchase a new case.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »

Well, I understand the Vita is a separate system from the PS3, but isn't that the same type of feature Wii U is touting with their tablet controller?  The ability to let someone watch tv while you continue your play on the handheld screen?

I think it's just as cool on the Vita.  While not the primary reason I would purchase it, it is a cool feature nonetheless.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 08:43:09 PM »
Well, I understand the Vita is a separate system from the PS3, but isn't that the same type of feature Wii U is touting with their tablet controller?  The ability to let someone watch tv while you continue your play on the handheld screen?

For the price of the Vita you could just buy another TV. Well, not a huge TV, but one with a much larger screen than the Vita for sure.
is your sanity...

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »

For the price of the Vita you could just buy another TV. Well, not a huge TV, but one with a much larger screen than the Vita for sure.

Did you only read down to that part? Because right after that part I also wrote the following:

While not the primary reason I would purchase it, it is a cool feature nonetheless.

I never said it would be the only reason to purchase it, and most people would agree that it would be a foolish purchase for that reason alone. 

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 05:15:01 PM »
Actual, Remote Play isn't functional right now.

I like my Vita a lot, but the games aren't really there yet. Uncharted is cool, but it's over pretty quickly.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 11:06:15 PM »
I enjoy my vita, but I enjoy handheld gaming consoles in general.  Other than the gimmicky stuff in Uncharted, I have had a really good uncharted experience with it.   I really can't hold blame on them for the gimmicky stuff, when everyone else is doing the exact same thing. I mean even Skyward Sword made me waggle about a remote to try and cross a log for balance.  That stuff annoys me on whatever system, but I'm not going to hold any serious grudges against it.

The system it's self really amazes me.  I love the multitasking.  Being able to listen to a podcast while playing a game is quite awesome on the go.  I think that is my favorite thing about the vita so far.  Really wish the 3ds had this.   Granted I know my vita won't get near the attention from me that my 3ds will, I still see it getting some good use.  I have uncharted, lumines, and rayman origins right now.  Still haven't touched Rayman, and really looking forward to it.  Gravity Daze/Rush is also looking quite interesting in the future.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 11:28:02 PM »
I'm picking up my Vita tomorrow afternoon, taking advantage of a deal GameStop is doing where you get a free copy of Wipeout 2048 (or Hot Shots Golf/Modnation Racers Vita) and free case with a purchase of a Vita.  I've already purchased my 32 GB memory card, which I hope will arrive by then (my tracking info hasn't updated since yesterday morning).  As for games, along with my existing digital PSP games (of which there are 12) I also picked up Uncharted: Golden Abyss; Lumines Electronic Symphony; and PSN's Escape Plan.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:01:27 AM by broodwars »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 08:56:54 AM »
PSN's Escape Plan.

Not a bad thing to have in case your Vita experience doesn't work out very well. ;)
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »
I'm glad Chozo Ghost is here to tell us all how stupid we are for wanting a Vita. Thanks, bro. :P

After having the system for two weeks, I really love it. Having this and the 3DS make handheld gaming incredible. The only thing the Vita is suffering from right now is the same uncertainty and slow sales that the 3DS had this time last year. The launch games were okay, and now there's basically nothing coming out until Gravity Rush in June. E3 should be telling for the system's first holiday season in North America/Europe.

Really, the parallels between the two system's early goings is creepy.
Both had a Feb/March launch with a decent amount of games but with no must-have experience.
In May, both systems had a mildly anticipated fighting game come to the system (Dead or Alive, Mortal Kombat)
In June, the system had its first seemingly must-have game (OoT3D, Gravity Rush)

I guess we can look forward to a slow summer for the Vita. :(
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 10:39:58 AM »
The only thing the Vita is suffering from right now is the same uncertainty and slow sales that the 3DS had this time last year. The launch games were okay, and now there's basically nothing coming out until Gravity Rush in June.

Well, I'm looking forward to Resistance: Burning Skies at the end of May, but Gravity Rush is on my list as well.  Yeah, though...Sony's done a really poor job so far ensuring that there's new must-have Vita software after the launch.  I don't even know of any software with announced release dates hitting the thing after Gravity Rush in June.  I have plenty of PSP software to tide me over until then, but the uncertainty of the software lineup is troubling for the future of the handheld.

PSN's Escape Plan.

Not a bad thing to have in case your Vita experience doesn't work out very well. ;)

Just couldn't let that pun go, could you?  I knew when I wrote that that someone would make that pun, but I didn't think it would be you.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 11:02:24 AM »
There have been enough comments from Japan about how there is a storm of games brewing.

I forgot about Resistance. I'm interested, as it does look like a quality portable FPS. I don't know if I'll buy it, but I'll definitely check out a demo.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"