Author Topic: Movie theatre rant  (Read 9896 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Movie theatre rant
« on: November 28, 2011, 02:37:19 PM »
So yesterday afternoon I went to the movies.  They were showing Ben-Hur as part of a classics series and I had to see that on the big screen as it is one of my favourite films.  The chariot race in particular was incredible on the big screen!

However, despite my love of the film, I asked for a refund for a reason I could not possibly imagine.  I could hear the movie in the theatre next door through the wall!  It was showing Immortals and that film must just go nuts with the subwoofer because every five seconds it sounded like thunder crashing.  In quiet parts of Ben-Hur we could even hear shouting dialog at times.  Ben-Hur had a five minute intermission that I used to go to the bathroom and I could STILL hear Immortals' rolling subwoofer in the bathroom!  This is across the hall!

I would assume that a movie theatre would be cleverly enough designed so that each screening room is effectively soundproof.  I have been to this theatre numerous times and have never encountered this.  So I'm wondering if there is a loudness war with new movies.  Perhaps Immortals is just so ridiculously loud that the theatre designers would never had assumed that any film would reach this volume and be audible in the next room over.  Immortals is a dumbed down idiot film.  The same target market that likes bad CG and bad 3D would also probably like loud rolling low sound effects every ten seconds or at least I can imagine the studio would think they would.

So is it a poorly designed theatre or a stupidly loud movie?  And if it's the movie is this going to be an unfortunate trend?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Movie theatre rant
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 03:20:10 PM »
Immortals is a good movie, so down disparage it just because the theatre you went to has piss-poor set-up. When I saw the movie, it was no louder than any other movie I have been to in the action genre. I have never heard of any theatre being that bad, complain to the manager.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 03:50:46 PM »
I did complain to the manager.  How do you think I got a refund?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 04:11:03 PM »
I thought Inception was one of the loudest movies I've ever seen especially in the very beginning. I didn't think Immortals was that loud. I could see you'd be pissed for if that was the movie that ruined your time, but I don't think it was the films fault. There were some loud sound effects, but I think the problem may have been your theatre.

Also Immortals was OK at best.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »
brhhhhhh brhhhhhhhh brhhhhhhh brhhhhhh

every movie trailer seems to have the loud bass noise in it that repeats in heartbeat like intervals
take the new Promethius trailer. Im tempted to release a better quality version just by recreating the scenes.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:54:13 PM »
Immortals is a dumbed down idiot film.  The same target market that likes bad CG and bad 3D would also probably like loud rolling low sound effects every ten seconds or at least I can imagine the studio would think they would.

This.
...and you went to see Ben-Hur in the theater?
I want to go to the movies with you. It sounds much better than anyone else I know. :)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 02:14:09 AM »
I'd love to see Ben-Hur on the big screen.

I just saw Raiders of the Lost Ark at my movie theater tonight. Fortunately, there was no sound from other theaters intruding in but I did wish that the sound had been louder at times. I think in the future, if I see other classic films on screen, I'm going to sit closer to the front and really let the image overwell me more.

The number 1 film I want to see on the big screen however is Lawrence of Arabia. I hope I can see that someday in the full scope it was meant to be seen. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing any of the David Lean epics on the big screen at some point.

How much was Ben-Hur? They just charged $5.00 for Raiders which I thought was awesome. For 5 bucks, I would go see plenty of older films. I even splurged on popcorn and a drink since the ticket was so low. I want it to be a win-win for the theater so that they are encouraged to do it more it often.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 04:02:34 AM »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 08:50:59 AM »
I can't wait for them to re-release Jurassic Park 3 in theaters...also, if you live in the US it's theater, not theatre.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 10:47:45 AM »
How much was Ben-Hur? They just charged $5.00 for Raiders which I thought was awesome. For 5 bucks, I would go see plenty of older films. I even splurged on popcorn and a drink since the ticket was so low. I want it to be a win-win for the theater so that they are encouraged to do it more it often.

$5 seems pretty expensive for an older film that has already made its money. Hell, I only paid $5 per ticket to go see the Muppets one day after release! I honestly wouldn't pay anything over $8, regardless of the film. As classic as they are, films like that should be in the Dollar Theaters.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 11:39:03 AM »

$5 seems pretty expensive for an older film that has already made its money. Hell, I only paid $5 per ticket to go see the Muppets one day after release! I honestly wouldn't pay anything over $8, regardless of the film. As classic as they are, films like that should be in the Dollar Theaters.
Wow Theater/res are cheap where your at.

I don't know if anyone is even showing old films in Theater/res here in Nasvhille.  I like to see different ones, Like the Last Starfighter ><.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 12:11:32 PM »
I paid $5 for Ben-Hur.  One funny part about it is that I didn't get a cash refund but rather a free pass.  But I can use that pass for new movies which are like $11.  So I've made a profit.  But my free pass expires in February and I don't really see any films coming out in the next two months that I want to see so I'll probably use it on an old film, which would be only $5.  Well, I wouldn't be losing anything so it's no big deal.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 01:09:52 PM »
Wow Theater/res are cheap where your at.

It is a privately owned and operated establishment and not a chain. Perhaps that makes all the difference? They actually show a lot more independent films than they do Hollywood stuff, which is nice. There's a second cinema deeper in town, but I've never been to it. It's significantly newer, and is part of a huge chain.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 04:35:21 PM »
I can't wait for them to re-release Jurassic Park 3 in theaters...also, if you live in the US it's theater, not theatre.

Sorry, I was in French Immersion for a couple years. Some things just stick.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »

Actually, it's usually theatre in the US too.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 05:18:16 PM »
Movie theaters SUCK.

I feel like I should be able to smoke hookah and get as drunk as I want without receiving a complaint from old Bitchy McBitchnson because it's his day off and he can't do the same and instead has to take out his wife who took his balls along time ago. I also think a god damn slurpy that looks delicious because I'm really high shouldn't cost 5 bucks when I can't even get a motherfuckin' refill. So don't look at me all weird when I'm drinking a side by side milkshake and stuffing a patty melt in my mouth while you pansy asses are sipping sugar water and sharing little bags of bullshit popcorn.

Oh and don't get mad at me if I happen to enjoy eating cheetos while watching a movie. Sorry, they're not the most silent chip. Doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it and sigh and shake and look at me as if I just stuck my dick in your salad. You need to pay attention to the movie before something bad happens to you.

Oh and what's with this business of no instant replay? Everytime I call out to the little **** who runs the movie to rewind, nothing happens. If I want to see a stupid kid from 'Final Destination' get blown up again because it was hilarious, then damn it I should be able to!

And don't get me started on the families and dates that go to the theaters; always bitching to me about something. "Sir, can you lower your voice? I can't hear the movie." "Sir, can you please put out that blunt? I can't breathe." "Sir, can you get your smelly sock away from my face? I can't see." Oh I'm sorry. Am I ruining your shitty date? Like you could get some even if you rented this place out. Besides, you don't see me complaining that your little whiny bitch of a kid won't stop crying. So unless your name's on the front of the building, stop acting like you own the place! And damn, can't you see I'm trying to get head?! If I can't have my balls played with while watching 'Puss in Boots', then what's the point?

Then there's the sumamabitch who can't hold in their piss and just continues to walk up and down your aisle fucking up the video recording. Can't you see I'm trying to make some money?! Damn.

Insensitive.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 05:31:42 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 05:52:16 PM »
Yep, Stogi is a Drive-in type of guy I see.
Talking about that there are 2 Drive-ins around here and their fun if you don't mind them you can normally see 2-3 new movies for the cast of 1/2 of one.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »
The local drive-in just went-up for sale last winter. It had been sitting empty for a season or two before that, though. The admission prices were always good, and the peace and privacy was a plus. However, this particular drive-in had the misfortune of being located in a river valley. The lot was usually covered in fog (not good to viewing) and mosquitoes.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 09:40:36 PM »
Even Firefox suggests you're spelling it wrong if you type theatre...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 09:43:55 PM »
I know, I have Firefox. I didn't say anything about that, just that even in the US it is usually spelled theatre (at least when talking about movie theatre. For example, the chain of AMC Theatres).

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 10:31:30 AM »
There is a popular drive-in in my town, one of the few left in the area. There is a double drive-in at the west end of 480 near Cleveland. You can stop on the side of the turnpike and watch for free if you're brave. Well, free besides the cost of using the turnpike... I wouldn't recommend using the turnpike just to watch a movie.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 11:16:11 AM »
If you go on AMC's site they actually spell it theater when they aren't specifically talking about the company's name.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 11:23:06 AM »
Do I really seem like the person who would actually do the things that I ranted about? Damn...I must have some awfully awesome credibility around here.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 11:26:29 AM »
Do I really seem like the person who would actually do the things that I ranted about? Damn...I must have some awfully awesome credibility around here.
Sunglasses = Instant Cred

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 02:17:28 PM »
The first complaint seemed legit. After that, I felt you were probably just kidding around.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.