Author Topic: PlayStation Portable, a serious contender to GBA?  (Read 20970 times)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
PlayStation Portable, a serious contender to GBA?
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2003, 07:52:34 AM »
Exactly, manunited- if name recognition alone sold ystems, or was even the biggest factor, the Gamecube and N64 would have/be sold/selling a LOT better.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline loserfish13

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: PlayStation Portable, a serious contender to GBA?
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2003, 10:36:03 AM »
Does anyone remember when Sony claimed the PS2 would have Toy Story 2-like graphics?
Animal Crossing:
Name: pj
Town: terrytwn

My collection:
myurl

My Wishlist:
my

Offline loserfish13

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2003, 10:38:09 AM »
Does anyone remember when Sony claimed the PS2 would have Toy Story 2-like graphics?  I'll believe it when I see it.
Animal Crossing:

My collection:
myurl

My Wishlist:
my

Offline loserfish13

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2003, 10:40:04 AM »
Does anyone remember when Sony claimed the PS2 would have Toy Story 2-like graphics?  I'll believe it when I see it.
Animal Crossing:

My collection:
myurl

My Wishlist:
my

Offline loserfish13

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2003, 10:41:20 AM »
Animal Crossing:

My collection:
myurl

My Wishlist:
my

Offline loserfish13

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2003, 10:44:36 AM »
Animal Crossing:

My collection:
myurl

My Wishlist:
my

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2003, 02:39:05 PM »
it worked the first time loserfish

Offline MajorLocke

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2003, 07:30:03 PM »

Originally posted by: manunited4eva22
Name alone goes so far. If you would like examples look at the N64.

Why do you think the PlayStation 2 sold so much when it launched?  Because it had some must-have games at its launch?  Haha, yeah right, it's because everyone had to have one because of its cool factor and that it's the sequel to the PlayStation.  The same thing will happen with the PSP, even if it has some must-have games at its launch.
For DS and PSP: http://www.majorlocke.com

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2003, 08:05:13 PM »
You have to be kidding me. The reason it did was because of three factors, there was no competition for a year, and it was boasting extremely unreasonable numbers, and name. Sony has been in the portable area for the first time, and you claim that it will be an immediate hit. There are two major flaws to your logic. 1) You assume Nintendo will not say that 'gameboy uber advance' will be 1000x more powerful than any pc (couldn't resist, sorry) which takes away sony's shock factor. Second the reason why ps2 did so well was because there just wasn't any competition. Dreamcast never had the money, and N64 was nearly dead.

Maybe I didn't make my point before, but I will again in case it will stick this time.

The N64 launched after two consoles, both of which were slowly racking up games. After N64s launch it started to lower in sales because frankly, there wasn't any games coming out fast enough anymore.

What you are claiming is that it will live with sustained sales just on name alone with as of right now few to none developers signed on. And don't even try to say well PS2 did it because we both know the circumstances that time will be much different the second time around.

Offline loserfish13

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2003, 11:36:37 AM »
each time it told me error. lol
Animal Crossing:

My collection:
myurl

My Wishlist:
my

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2003, 01:43:32 PM »
"The same thing will happen with the PSP, even if it has some must-have games at its launch."

Yes, name recognition had a lot to do with the PS2 selling so well at launch, but it was ALSO because it was the next generation of home consoles and was much more powerful than anything on the market. The handheld market is different entirely- it's trying to break into a market that 99% of is controlled by one company- that's EXTREMELY difficult, and name recognition alone will very little.

Besides, how good is YOUR example when I can provide 5 very good examples of when name recognition didn't do anything. Nintendo lost almost half the home console market to Sega despite being almost synonomous with videogames- Sega did with this despite having an extremely poor selling first console. Nintendo lost even more ground with the N64 despite name recognition, while Sony gained that same ground despite not being priorly associated with videogames at all. Then the Gamecube hasn't sold quite well despite Nintendo being so recognized in the handheld sector. The last example proves name recognition doesn't corss over well between handhelds and home consoles.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2003, 04:13:20 AM »
Maybe we shouldn't forget Sony's secret weapon: Subliminal messages implanted in the music they release!

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2003, 05:48:05 AM »
Nah, Sony is a very splintery company -- the music section doesn't really talk to the electronics section and neither really talk to the game section.  I mean, think about it -- the electronics section makes CD-rs and CD-RW drives, while the music section complains about home copying on CD-rs

I think the one thing everyone's neglected about the PSP is the size.  Big things just aren't popular as mobile devices.  It's true in every portable market -- people want *smaller*, not necessarily more powerful.  A big examples are cell-phones -- people will sacrifice more power for a smaller form factor in their cell phones.  The ones that are out now are really, really small, and they keep getting smaller.  Also, look at the iPod -- it's amazingly small, yet quite powerful, and despite the high price, people still want them because of their size.  Why does everyone seem to want a nice new laptop?  Because the newer ones are lighter and smaller than older ones, and most are starting to rival people's older PCs (since most people stop upgrading once they get to a certain point; I'd imagine very few people feel the need to upgrade a 1ghz system).  And the GBA:SP has sold much better than the GBA, mostly because it's smaller and designed better.  It's designed like a portable device.

The PSP looks like it's designed as a travel-mate type device -- something you plan to take with you for long trips or long plane rides, as it looks capable to not only play games but also to play movies (if you can find a way to transfer to the proprietary media, which I'm sure Sony will put some sort of stranglehold on... sigh...).  None of the press released about the PSP makes it sound like a truly portable device, and look at it from the POV of an average consumer -- you're looking for a portable gaming device, and you look at the display model of the GBA:SP -- it's tiny, metallic, folds up, and really small, yet looks cool and you can see a lot of games on display behind it.  Then you look at the PSP and you see a larger, bulkier unit, still looks cool and the screen looks pretty nice, but you know it won't fit in your pocket, and maybe you're just looking for a unit to play for those car rides that take 20 minutes, or when you're stuck at the laundromat for an hour, or you miss the bus and have to wait 15 minutes for the next one.  One looks much more like something you'd rather whip out and play anywhere (GBA:SP), while the other looks more like something you'd play at home or on long trips (PSP).

Now, Sony *could* surprise people with a v. v. thin unit, which would solve the bulky problem, and might even help it fit into pockets better.  But that would dramatically jack the price up, unless they discover some new way to manufacture TFT displays for pennies.  I don't doubt that it might be a very cool portable console, but I'm rather skeptical about how it'll perform.  Not to mention that if they put too many features in it, it might have the same problem the Xbox has -- lots of people buying the console, not many buying games.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2003, 10:58:16 AM »
First thing they need to do is just make the screen smaller, Geeze its just way too big for a portable.
To compare the quality of this screen to larger 17 inch screens (widescreen models in any case)

The resolution is 1813.33332x1027.5555 so about 1813x1028

The 1028 is the same as most Flat Panel monitors so it is basically a cut down version of a 17'' flat panel.

Now lets make a rough estimate of how much it costs to manufacture a 17'' flat panel monitor. Lets just say 100-150 US dollars. About 3 3/4 a 4.5'' monitor can be made from a 17'' so the price range is about 26.66 USD - 40 USD. Even with continued technology advances, that is going to be a very expensive product.

Offline Tharkun

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2003, 09:12:03 AM »
The thing that I think will be the cause of the PSP not getting very many sales is the battery life.  It uses a disk that must be spinned in order to access.  It also has a backlit screen that also uses up a lot of power.  In order for the PSP to match the battery life of the GBA SP the battery would have to be pretty darn big and it will make the charge times take longer and make the unit a lot heavier.  Not very appealing to the potential buyer.
Sorry officer, do you know why I got pulled over cause at least one of us should.  Ok, but only if you hold my beer for me so I can reach my driver's licence...

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2003, 03:52:06 PM »
God I hope they screw this up.
It's just wrong.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Cube323

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2003, 11:06:36 AM »
First of all this thread was started by the forums resident $ony fanboy.  Why is that "$ony Nazi's" feel the need to come into a Nintendo forum?  Could it be the massive insecurities they feel about supporting a company that is totally without creative talent?

Seriously, I would not worry about Psp.  By the time it is released, Nintendo will have sold another 50 million GBA:SP's worldwide.  Plus if you follow video game news closely, you already know that Nintendo's next hand held is due in 2005, and I'm sure "Big N" will use the opportunity to show up $ony and their little Psp.

Plus why is no one mentioning the fact that the Psp is rumored to cost over $200?!  Plus it's made by $ony, a company that is internationally famous for making the worst quality electronics on the market. (Cheapest labor, Cheapest Parts)

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2003, 03:49:06 AM »
So WHAT if SONY has no creative talent (not entirely true anyway, go play ICO and say the same thing without looking stupid).

I never SAID PSP was going to demolish GBA (in fact I doubt very much it will), so stop trying to twist my words.

But Nintendo need to do something about it. The last time they shrugged off a contender and said it was stupid was the PS1, and that went on to be the best-selling console ever, pushing Nintendo into second place worldwide.

Why not grow up.
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline TheRealNapster

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2003, 07:51:08 AM »
heres what it all comes down to. nintendo currently has a monopoly on the handheld market. sure, right now they have a few small competitors but only enough to keep the government from doing to nintendo what they did to microsoft. nintendo feels that they can put out a mildly ok product *AHEM* gba *COUGH* and then when everyone gets pissed that they couldnt even backlight the stupid thing, they realease a "new" product and then that thing cant even support headphones. i want nintendo to compete. i for one bought a game boy advance and felt like i had gotten screwed when the sp came out not that much later. if nothing else, i want nintendo to quit screwing around with their monopoly and start putting out a product above and beyond what the consumer expects, not some bare minimum crap. the psp will hopefully force nintendo to get on the stick and start producing even higher quality stuff than they already do.
The fool would do well to listen to the wise man. This is the only true knowledge.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2003, 08:24:10 AM »
I don't own a handheld (not since original Gameboy), but I've played the GBA and the GBA SP, and both of them are great.  I had no problem with the light on the GBA, and for the SP I didn't need to use headphones (no one around, and I don't mind playing without sound).  Sure, these are problems that should be improved upon, but if that's the only flaw you can find, then you're just whining about nothing.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Hyper-Link

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2003, 09:15:36 AM »

like how Sony just throws this press release out there, and does not back it up with any sort of hardware. Not even a picture of the thing. I am surprised that they did'nt say this thing would produce holgraphic pictures and shoot laser beams at annoying party guests. I think this is just a Sony ploy to steal some thunder for itself during E3.

I agree fully. Sony did this type of thing b4 with the PS2 saying some features were that that weren't. If I know Nintendo and I think I do, they'll find a way to DESTROY Sony. There's another thing PSP won't have, many good GAMES!! Who has Pokemon the Number one handheld game. Who has Mega Man, who has Metroid, Zelda, Mario. The most PSP would have is probably some Final Fantasy and some Crash Bandicoot.

Quote:

I would have to agree with most posts here about the issues for a succesfull launch of this product.

1. Price point, I think the max you could charge for this thing is $200. Better systems than the GBA have come out in the past but the GBA out priced them.

2. Battery life. Spinning disk, 3D chip, backlight display, big display, all of these things add up to shorten play time.

3. Sony's position on copyright material. Think this thing will be able to play all the MP3 out there? Or any movie ever produced? Doubtfull, Sony's minidisk and MP3 players only support certified music <--read music you directly paid for. And as for video, this system seems to have 2 options, either on the disc or on the memory stick. For movies the PP would have to use the disk I would think, and how many movies do you know are printed on mini DVD? Probably only movies that Sony has rights too.

I think Sony has a lot of issues to deal with to make this any sort of success, and it sounds to me like this is some kind of dream system some Sony exec. came up with to steal some thunder from Nintendos and Xbox E3.

Also with that big old screen, and features, I don't think the batteries would last longer than an hour. Nintendo will find a way. They always have something up there sleeve. The only reason Game Cube is losing to PS2 is because they had a year and a half lead. In 2005 when GameSphere and X-Box 2 come out, PS3 will have more competition. In fact GCN 2 and Box 2 will be probably come out b4 Playstation 3. And if Nintendo made a handheld that played N64 games, it would be better than PSP. I think N64 had much better games than PSone. DK64, Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Banjo Kazooie, Golden Eye, and that's just to name a few, I still haven't mentioned The Pokemon Stadium series, Mario Party, and Kart series, And Super Smash Bros. Come on Nintendo hasn't been running this long for nothing.

Go Nintendo, show those gaming compnaies whose the boss, and with Sega's help I don't think that will be a problem.
"What if everything you see is more than what you see-the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it

Offline Hyper-Link

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2003, 09:19:22 AM »

like how Sony just throws this press release out there, and does not back it up with any sort of hardware. Not even a picture of the thing. I am surprised that they did'nt say this thing would produce holgraphic pictures and shoot laser beams at annoying party guests. I think this is just a Sony ploy to steal some thunder for itself during E3.

I agree fully. Sony did this type of thing b4 with the PS2 saying some features were that that weren't. If I know Nintendo and I think I do, they'll find a way to DESTROY Sony. There's another thing PSP won't have, many good GAMES!! Who has Pokemon the Number one handheld game. Who has Mega Man, who has Metroid, Zelda, Mario. The most PSP would have is probably some Final Fantasy and some Crash Bandicoot.

Quote:

I would have to agree with most posts here about the issues for a succesfull launch of this product.

1. Price point, I think the max you could charge for this thing is $200. Better systems than the GBA have come out in the past but the GBA out priced them.

2. Battery life. Spinning disk, 3D chip, backlight display, big display, all of these things add up to shorten play time.

3. Sony's position on copyright material. Think this thing will be able to play all the MP3 out there? Or any movie ever produced? Doubtfull, Sony's minidisk and MP3 players only support certified music <--read music you directly paid for. And as for video, this system seems to have 2 options, either on the disc or on the memory stick. For movies the PP would have to use the disk I would think, and how many movies do you know are printed on mini DVD? Probably only movies that Sony has rights too.

I think Sony has a lot of issues to deal with to make this any sort of success, and it sounds to me like this is some kind of dream system some Sony exec. came up with to steal some thunder from Nintendos and Xbox E3.

Also with that big old screen, and features, I don't think the batteries would last longer than an hour. Nintendo will find a way. They always have something up there sleeve. The only reason Game Cube is losing to PS2 is because they had a year and a half lead. In 2005 when GameSphere and X-Box 2 come out, PS3 will have more competition. In fact GCN 2 and Box 2 will be probably come out b4 Playstation 3. And if Nintendo made a handheld that played N64 games, it would be better than PSP. I think N64 had much better games than PSone. DK64, Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Banjo Kazooie, Golden Eye, and that's just to name a few, I still haven't mentioned The Pokemon Stadium series, Mario Party, and Kart series, And Super Smash Bros. Come on Nintendo hasn't been running this long for nothing.

Go Nintendo, show those gaming compnaies whose the boss, and with Sega's help I don't think that will be a problem.
"What if everything you see is more than what you see-the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2003, 08:13:15 AM »
I still don't want to think how large a handheld playing SNES or N64 games would be... Well, what I'd like to see as a counter would be official LCD and battery for GC.

Offline Lecter

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2003, 05:20:51 PM »
Ok after reading tons of these posts, its obvious not many Nintendo fans are looking foward to the PSP. But here is an opinion from a Sony and Nintendo fan.

Nintendo has been dominating the handheld market for a long time. Just like Nintendo dominated the console market until Sony came along and used their newer cd technology and awsome games to put the 64 to rest, even though the 64 was a good console. Now people are saying "THE PSP IS TOO BIG THE SCREEN IS TOO BIG THE BATTERY LIFE IS LOW"  Its Sony. Dont you think they are going to perfect their handheld so they can finish what Nintendo is dominating? They have looked to the past and see where others have failed, and thats where they will improve. They arent going to release a clunk box system that plays for 3 hours. Sony is looking to get rid of Nintendo once and for all. Sony wants to dominate the console AND handheld market, so they will perfect the system and get as many first party games as possible. With all the people that own the PS2 they will think "Hey a Playstation console on the go, cool." and of course the PSP will have GTA on it improving console sales by a ton. People will just buy the console for GTA.

But here we have Nintendo the masters of creating excellent games. Games like Pokemon, Zelda, and Mario (even though its being milked on the GBA) have kept gamers entertained for years, but Nintendo did make a mistake. They released a GBA, and since the lighting was horrible they released a GBA SP which means Ninty didn't think things through the first time. We know as a fact although most people wont admit it, most devolopers will see the PSP as a money making machine and jump right on the bandwagon.

So what does this all mean? Sony is trying to destroy Nintendo no doubt about it. But will they? I say no, but they are going to give Nintendo a run for its money. Hey everyone could be totally 100% wrong, we havent seen the system or any REAL confirmed specs so what do we know?
Currently Playing: Devil May Cry, Red Faction 2, GTA 3, Animal Crossing.

Currently Reading: Hannibal, Dreamcatcher.

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2003, 06:47:20 PM »
The PSP is still a yeah and a half away from being released. By then the GBA will be pushing four years old so likely there will be a new one. There is a huge user base for Nintendo. Will Sony take some of their market share?, sure, will they dominate? No way. The gap is too large and it will take years to chip away at it.

Also the PSP will be a all in one machine, play games, video, music etc. The problem with all in one machines is that they do everything ok, but dont excel at any one thing.

The psp will probably be on the level of a palm top computer that can play games. Will it do well? only time will tell, but it will force Nintendo to create something better. If there was no Sony and no M$ we would all still be playing N64 because there would have been no incentice for Nintendo to spend money developing a new system.

I dont understand why everyone thinks that competition is bad, and also why they think the multi-billion dollar companies are going to fold because some other company is releasing a new produc.

"XBox is Dead"
"Gamecube is Dead"
"Sony will be destroyed"

Whatever...

Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!