Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 408616 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1
« Reply #1525 on: June 16, 2015, 11:15:12 AM »
To me, the Gametrailers reaction that was spectacular to watch last night wasn't FF7's, but Shenmue 3. Huber completely flipped his lid at the sight of a cherry blossom and 3 notes of music.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: June 16, 2015, 11:28:27 AM »
The Huber reaction was a delight. Dreams are real!

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLRWL0s0l10
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 11:32:13 AM by Enner »

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: June 16, 2015, 11:56:29 AM »
I'm so happy for Huber! I usually go team Kyle with my bets but this time I am glad I was wrong ^-^

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: June 16, 2015, 06:07:52 PM »
Well, Sony hit the fanboy triple score. The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy VII remake, Shenmue III.

To me this demonstrates some keen awareness on Sony's part as to who their audience is.  The days of pandering to our grandmother is over.  The people that buy consoles these days are hardcore gamer geeks.  Sony figured this out, Microsoft figured it out late after stumbling out of the gate with the mandatory Kinect purchase and I don't really know what Nintendo thinks.  So Sony is going all out in hitting the points that anyone familiar with gamer culture KNOWS will go over huge.

Yeah it's a lot of 2016 but last year Nintendo was all about 2015 and that went over well while their focus on just this year this time around has not.  If your best stuff is next year, then it is what it is.  Not an ideal situation but what do you lose in having an impressive E3?  Nothing really.  If the next year is a little rough at least a good E3 will create some hype to keep interest high.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: June 16, 2015, 06:14:56 PM »
What they have to lose is what Nintendo had to lose by showing things way ahead of time last year. At least in Nintendo's case it made sense because they were desperate, but Sony's leading the pack right now.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: June 16, 2015, 10:29:52 PM »
Sony won.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #1531 on: June 16, 2015, 10:38:07 PM »
Sony won.

Thank god that is settled. It did so well for Nintendo last year "winning E3.
Jesus Christ.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: June 16, 2015, 11:01:31 PM »
Not sure what that means, Nintendo did horribly last year too.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1533 on: June 16, 2015, 11:06:20 PM »
The only way that conference could get any more NeoGAF would be if Banderas hosted it.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: June 16, 2015, 11:23:12 PM »
Phil is being weirdly belligerent all over the forums. It's actually kind of funny.

Sony had the bigger surprise announcements even if two of them are niche titles (The Last Guardian and Shenmue 3) and one is a remake. Horizon: Zero Dawn looks nice, but I don't get the robot-dino hunting. Why are there robot-dinos and why are tribal-looking people hunting them? I'll have to read and see more. Microsoft had it's best E3 in years with a strong latter 2015 with Halo 5 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. I would like to see more of ReCore though I'm weary of the Spring 2016 timeframe. No gameplay was shown which is weird for a game supposedly coming out within a year.

I'm still not keen on showing games more than a year away. There were way too many late 2016/sometime-in-2017-or-whenever games announced. Square Enix stating Kingdom Hearts III is "Now in development" for the second E3 is a waste of everyone's time. I'm glad progress has been made, but the game is so far away it's pointless to talk about right now in the middle of 2015.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 01:33:48 AM by Adrock »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: June 17, 2015, 01:21:35 AM »
Uncharted 4 looks great. As much as I hate the run and gun elements, I do love how free flowing it is. I just hope the real meat of the game, and by that I mean the exploration and puzzles, is on par with the action set-pieces.

If EAD is The Hardy Boys, than the studio who made ICO, Shadow of Colossus, and now The Last Guardian, is The Alchemist; still suitable for young adults but much more thought provoking. I look forward to buying a PS4 just for this game.

Horizon came off as a fantastic movie idea that would make a decent game, which is the hardest thing to do in gaming; i.e. most games have horrible stories and great gameplay. And while traversing the world may sound exciting at first, that is before we realize we are exploring the first act of WALL-E, the most enticing aspect of the game is it's history and forgive my impatience, but give me a few great characters, particularly a wonderful villain, and just tell me what happens. I hope I'm wrong though, as there is a massive amount of potential. And anyone else noticing the trend of having the main character monologue their thoughts? It was pretty distracting during the hunting portion of the game.

And Hitman.......oh god....so many hilarious moments. Definitely top of the 'Year after release' list.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: June 17, 2015, 01:23:44 AM »
I still want to know what Horizon is. Is it just Monster Hunter but with robot dinosaurs, or is there more to it than that?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: June 17, 2015, 01:28:06 AM »
I still want to know what Horizon is. Is it just Monster Hunter but with robot dinosaurs, or is there more to it than that?

There are elements of Horizon that reminded me of Enslaved, just like Recore did at MS's conference, what with the "post-apocalyptic world run by animalistic robots" thing where you're guiding a red-haired warrior girl. I'm definitely getting much more of a stealth vibe from this game than Monster Hunter, though (remember, she has to take out the little mech before it alerts the others). That may have just been a moment like a boss fight in an overall Enslaved-style action game.

As for the monologues, that's kind of a Sony "thing." All their characters talk to themselves to project "character" into a scene, except for Kratos (who has no character).

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: June 17, 2015, 11:56:26 AM »
Phil is being weirdly belligerent all over the forums. It's actually kind of funny.

Sony had the bigger surprise announcements even if two of them are niche titles (The Last Guardian and Shenmue 3) and one is a remake. Horizon: Zero Dawn looks nice, but I don't get the robot-dino hunting. Why are there robot-dinos and why are tribal-looking people hunting them? I'll have to read and see more. Microsoft had it's best E3 in years with a strong latter 2015 with Halo 5 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. I would like to see more of ReCore though I'm weary of the Spring 2016 timeframe. No gameplay was shown which is weird for a game supposedly coming out within a year.

I'm still not keen on showing games more than a year away. There were way too many late 2016/sometime-in-2017-or-whenever games announced. Square Enix stating Kingdom Hearts III is "Now in development" for the second E3 is a waste of everyone's time. I'm glad progress has been made, but the game is so far away it's pointless to talk about right now in the middle of 2015.

To me, there needs to be a balance between Nintendo's "we're only showing you what's coming this year/early next year" and Sony's "Hey, look at all this cool **** you want!! Be excited for it when it comes out in 2017!".

Nintendo's conference, I liked enough of the games that I look forward to playing them, but was disappointed there were no announcements of what was on the horizon.  Sony's conference, I got hype in the first 30 mins, but then was disappointed as they got into the stuff that's coming out that we already have seen so many times.  I get Uncharted is Sony's flagship game coming out in the next year, and the gameplay looked great, but if you're not revved up about that, Batman, Destiny DLC, or No Man's Sky, then there isn't that much they went over in the near future to be excited about.  They should have went over upcoming games first, and saved the big explosive trailers for later in the conference.

Oh, and I will say I'm done buying Sony handhelds.  The vita is a great handheld system that has been left on the side of the road in a desert without any water.  Literally just shown as a 5 second part of an awkwardly placed sizzle reel.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: June 17, 2015, 12:07:38 PM »
Nintendo's conference, I liked enough of the games that I look forward to playing them, but was disappointed there were no announcements of what was on the horizon.  Sony's conference, I got hype in the first 30 mins, but then was disappointed as they got into the stuff that's coming out that we already have seen so many times.  I get Uncharted is Sony's flagship game coming out in the next year, and the gameplay looked great, but if you're not revved up about that, Batman, Destiny DLC, or No Man's Sky, then there isn't that much they went over in the near future to be excited about.  They should have went over upcoming games first, and saved the big explosive trailers for later in the conference.

The problem here is that Sony released things ahead of their press conference that might have better fit what you're looking for. For example, I'm really pissed at how Sony pretty much BURIED both the new Ratchet & Clank game & their Tearaway remake. The footage they released of Ratchet last week looked amazing, it has a great price point at $40, and would have been a nice counterpoint to some of the stuff they did show at their conference. Same with Tearaway. But no, let's show Joker's corpse being cremated instead to hype up a game releasing next week on every viable console.

I mean...just...LOOK at this Ratchet footage! And that's seemingly all in-game engine, not CG. And they couldn't even be bothered to devote an extra minute & a half to just re-roll the trailer just to give the game exposure at the biggest event of the year!

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 12:11:00 PM by broodwars »

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: June 17, 2015, 05:36:42 PM »
"Oh, and I will say I'm done buying Sony handhelds.  The vita is a great handheld system that has been left on the side of the road in a desert without any water"

Yeah, I feel the same way.  Overall it's the better handheld system but it's not getting any support from Sony.  Things started to go bad when they decided to overcharge on Memory cards and funding both Call Of Duty and Assassin Creed.  What a waste of money that was. 

Where's my Valkyrie Chronicles 3 Sega.  It wasn't localized to the PSP because of privacy but what's stopping it from coming to the VITA at least?

-----------------------------

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1541 on: June 17, 2015, 06:30:16 PM »
"I'm done buying Sony handhelds."

And Sony's done making them. That's like saying you're done buying electricity from Enron.

Re: Valkyria Chronicles 3 - Sega can't hear you with all that mobile f2p money clogging their ears.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1542 on: June 17, 2015, 09:08:32 PM »
I was kinda underwhelmed by the Shenmue 3 announcement.  Mostly by the fact that it was a kickstarter.  I get that Sony is putting up 90% of the cash, but it still feels half hearted.  "Yeah, we'll make this game, IF you beg us for it one more time."  Of course it was gonna make goal, but the whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: June 17, 2015, 09:43:59 PM »

The problem here is that Sony released things ahead of their press conference that might have better fit what you're looking for. For example, I'm really pissed at how Sony pretty much BURIED both the new Ratchet & Clank game & their Tearaway remake. The footage they released of Ratchet last week looked amazing, it has a great price point at $40, and would have been a nice counterpoint to some of the stuff they did show at their conference. Same with Tearaway. But no, let's show Joker's corpse being cremated instead to hype up a game releasing next week on every viable console.

I mean...just...LOOK at this Ratchet footage! And that's seemingly all in-game engine, not CG. And they couldn't even be bothered to devote an extra minute & a half to just re-roll the trailer just to give the game exposure at the biggest event of the year!

You're right, that's some of the color, personality, and variety that was sorely missing from Sony's conference, and they could have easily cut out the stupid sizzle reel for showing a bit of this game.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: June 17, 2015, 09:49:54 PM »
"I'm done buying Sony handhelds."

And Sony's done making them. That's like saying you're done buying electricity from Enron.

Perhaps, but there's a point where goodwill is burned enough to where I'll divest myself of Sony gaming altogether.  I understand my purchase power isn't great, but I do sometimes make purchasing decisions based on principles over my interests, and I can't feel at least a little slighted based on what's happened to the Vita.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: June 18, 2015, 12:21:12 AM »
I understand my purchase power isn't great, but I do sometimes make purchasing decisions based on principles over my interests, and I can't feel at least a little slighted based on what's happened to the Vita.

Like Ian Sane and Nintendo! Careful, my friend. You are walking down a dark path....
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1546 on: June 18, 2015, 12:27:42 AM »
I would've gassed the Batman clip (seriously the game comes out next week) and half of the "ZOMG WE GOT COD" dick-waving, added that trailer in and lengthened the sizzle reel + slapped whoever thought cutting to the bored guy in the audience was a good idea.

There, better conference.
Tutorial box out.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: June 18, 2015, 06:32:22 AM »
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/06/17/the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-won-39-t-follow-the-original-exactly.aspx
Not sure whether or not to post it here, but because we don't have an actual thread for it....Anyways, FF7 remake isn't going to be exactly the same. Which depending on what they do, I might be more interested. Probably more for Yuffie and Vincent seeing as how they were bonus characters and were sidelined sometimes. And fixing things that didn't make sense.

And then everyone else's concern is Cloud cross-dressing, which supposedly Kotaku went out of its way to ask to make sure it is there. Their attitude about it pisses me off.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: June 18, 2015, 08:20:51 AM »
I understand my purchase power isn't great, but I do sometimes make purchasing decisions based on principles over my interests, and I can't feel at least a little slighted based on what's happened to the Vita.

Like Ian Sane and Nintendo! Careful, my friend. You are walking down a dark path....

Is that what he's takling about in those novels he posts every time I see his name in the forums?  Each time I glance at something he writes, I take a brief look, and go "eh, tl;dr".

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: June 18, 2015, 08:42:44 AM »
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/06/17/the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-won-39-t-follow-the-original-exactly.aspx
Not sure whether or not to post it here, but because we don't have an actual thread for it....Anyways, FF7 remake isn't going to be exactly the same. Which depending on what they do, I might be more interested. Probably more for Yuffie and Vincent seeing as how they were bonus characters and were sidelined sometimes. And fixing things that didn't make sense.

And then everyone else's concern is Cloud cross-dressing, which supposedly Kotaku went out of its way to ask to make sure it is there. Their attitude about it pisses me off.

I want the game as close to the original as possible, but I was under no illusion there'd be "modernizations".  At minimum, I expect:
  • voice acting
  • tweaks to the battle system
  • Changes to the dialogue - probably not all a bad thing, some of the text was pretty cringey.  Maybe even a pared-down. 
Those are things i'd personally be ok with, i'd also be more than happy if they gave Tifa a breast reduction.  My only concern is that they mess with Cloud to the point where he's an emo the entire story.  I know there are bouts of him seeming so, but my recollection of the story is that during most of it, he's fairly self-confident and trying to be a leader.

Regarding the cross-dressing - at face value, it's a silly thing to say you need in a game, but it's a fun & catchy way they make you solve a problem, and also a good way they could set up jokes about how effeminate Cloud looks.  I'd be fine if they make changes to how you get the items, but i'd be a little disappointed if they omitted it.  In an odd way, it's an iconic part of the game.

That said, this is exactly why Square-Enix waited so long to pull the FF7 remake trigger.  I doubt it had anything to do with not being able to like theyve said in the past, and more that the game has a rabid fanbase that you'll anger someone in the process with every change you make.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 08:53:17 AM by lolmonade »