Author Topic: PSN = Privacy? Security? Never!  (Read 195096 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: PSN = Privacy? Security? Never!
« Reply #1100 on: September 06, 2011, 09:02:31 PM »
Which part? There are government agencies that can legally spy (to a certain extent) if they get court permission. And hacking into PSN is illegal, so the people doing it ARE criminals by definition. Someone coming from HLS could help stop them.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: September 06, 2011, 09:42:47 PM »
Oh, geeze... let's just stop this debate right here.  No politics.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: September 07, 2011, 06:01:53 AM »
Homeland Security doesn't spy on US citizens (though I know some paranoid people think they do).

I wonder what TJ Spyke would say if Homeland Security and Sony ever ended up as enemies to one another. He would probably end up like that computer on one of those episodes of Star Trek that couldn't solve a paradox so it kept computing until it blew up. That's what would happen to his brain if he ever had to decide between supporting Sony or a Police State and could only side with one.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:28:42 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: September 15, 2011, 02:00:04 PM »
Sony's Amends Terms of Service to Block Class Action Lawsuits

Maybe if they'd stop making such dick moves, they wouldn't have to worry about their users suing them.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: September 15, 2011, 02:14:44 PM »
How can Sony override government legislations? They can put any crap they want in their ToS, but it isn't going to hold up in court. Or at least I hope not... the government should make the laws, not Sony. I mean, they could insert a clause in their ToS saying they have the right to murder you, but just because they say that doesn't mean its true.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: September 15, 2011, 02:29:04 PM »
I might as well go ahead and hack my PS3 now because there is no way I am going to accept that bullshit. I was content to not hack it before, but this is just too much. Hopefully there aren't too many suckers out there who fall for this crap and forfeit their rights to justice.
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: September 15, 2011, 03:12:44 PM »
You're right, really. A quick ToS or EULA really doesn't hold up at all. Still, the thought that they even put that in there should be upsetting. Given their history as a company though, it's not surprising that they'd want some protection from their fans.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: September 15, 2011, 03:24:39 PM »
I hope Sony gets hacked again and I hope the next time it puts an end to them for good. I hope the Vita fails and the PS4 fails and then Sony is done. End of story. Any company that treats consumers the way Sony does doesn't deserve to exist.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 03:38:34 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: September 15, 2011, 04:52:37 PM »
Before you get your panties all up in a bunch

RIGHT TO OPT OUT OF BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER WITHIN 30 DAYS. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE BOUND BY THE BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER IN THIS SECTION 15, YOU MUST NOTIFY SNEI IN WRITING WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE DATE THAT YOU ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT. YOUR WRITTEN NOTIFICATION MUST BE MAILED TO 6080 CENTER DRIVE, 10TH FLOOR, LOS ANGELES, CA 90045, ATTN: LEGAL DEPARTMENT/ARBITRATION AND MUST INCLUDE: (1) YOUR NAME, (2) YOUR ADDRESS, (3) YOUR PSN ACCOUNT NUMBER, IF YOU HAVE ONE, AND (4) A CLEAR STATEMENT THAT YOU DO NOT WISH TO RESOLVE DISPUTES WITH ANY SONY ENTITY THROUGH ARBITRATION.

So you can still agree to new ToS and continue to use your PSN account as usual, while not being bound to this lawsuit thing.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1109 on: September 15, 2011, 04:54:02 PM »
Send them a bill for postage, materials, and time along with the notification.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: September 15, 2011, 04:57:22 PM »
What do you guys say.  Are time is worth $10,000 per hour.  Seems about right.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: September 15, 2011, 05:32:33 PM »
Maybe I can just create a new PSN account and accept the terms on that without accepting them on my existing account. Would that work?
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 15, 2011, 06:22:38 PM »
As has been pointed out, this wouldn't hold up in court. Don't worry about it and just accept them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 15, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »
Go ahead and agree, just remember to send in your letter stating that you opt-out of the "no class-action" part within the 30 days.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: September 15, 2011, 07:39:44 PM »
Go ahead and agree, just remember to send in your letter stating that you opt-out of the "no class-action" part within the 30 days.

I'm picturing thousands of opt-out letters arriving at Sony and then promptly getting shredded or mysteriously "misplaced" never to be seen again. What recourse would you have if Sony claims after the expiration date that they never received your letter? If this were some neutral 3rd party (which it should be) then maybe I could trust the letters would get through and be counted, but since its Sony... That's the equivalent of having an election and one of the candidates handling and counting the votes. Yeah, there's no potential for mischief...
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: September 15, 2011, 08:41:34 PM »
Just send it as a certified letter.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: September 15, 2011, 11:00:11 PM »
How do you join the class action lawsuits which apparently have already been filed? I want to get in on that but I don't know what to do.
is your sanity...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 15, 2011, 11:13:31 PM »
You don't "join" as such, if you're part of the class, you're part of the class and actually have to opt out or you will lose your ability to sue separately. At some point, you'll need to send in verification to get whatever the settlement is -- usually they contact you about that first, but usually there's a website to register on in case you've been missed. If you're talking about actually having a say in the lawsuit, I guess you'd have to contact the lawyers representing the class.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 16, 2011, 12:08:18 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2011/09/16/no-faking-your-name-on-facebook-will-not-be-a-felony/

That was a timely turn of events for this discussion. :P

Now without getting into the politics of just how retarded this entire thing is, at least Franken and Grassley seemed to think that it dearly needed scaled back in some areas.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: September 19, 2011, 03:01:16 AM »
When the PSN was hacked back in April it was like the end of Star Wars IV: A New Hope when the rebels blew up the death star, but as we all know that didn't destroy the empire. What we are seeing right now with Sony teaming up with Homeland Security and adding more bullshit to the Terms of Service means we are now witnessing the equivalent of Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.

It may take a few months or years, but I hope that one day there will be an episode VI where the empire gets destroyed for good.
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: September 19, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure that bounty hunters have a lot more honor and decency than Homeland Security... :P

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: September 19, 2011, 11:12:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure that bounty hunters have a lot more honor and decency than Homeland Security... :P: :

Somehow I doubt that the Department of Homeland Security has a policy on disintegrations.   ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: October 11, 2011, 10:29:51 PM »
93,000 Accounts accessed on PSN/SOE
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201110/11-1012E/index.html
Tokyo, October 12 - Sony Network Entertainment International LLC and Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) have detected a large amount of unauthorized sign-in attempts on PlayStation®Network (PSN), Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) and Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) services. We discovered these attempts and have taken steps to mitigate the activity.

Less than one tenth of one percent of our PSN, SEN and SOE consumers may have been affected. There were approximately 93,000 accounts (PSN/SEN: approximately 60,000 accounts; SOE: approximately 33,000) where the attempts succeeded in verifying those accounts’ valid sign-in IDs and passwords, and we have temporarily locked these accounts. As a preventative measure, we will be sending email notifications to these account holders and will be requiring secure password resets or informing consumers of password reset procedures.

Credit card numbers associated with these accounts are not at risk as a result of these unauthorized attempts. Only a small fraction of these 93,000 accounts showed additional activity prior to being locked. We are continuing to investigate the extent of unauthorized activity on any of these accounts.

These attempts appear to include a large amount of data obtained from one or more compromised lists from other companies, sites or sources. These were unauthorized attempts to verify valid user accounts on our services using very large sets of sign-in IDs and passwords. Between October 7 - 10 US Pacific Daylight Time, we confirmed that these were unauthorized attempts, and took steps to thwart this activity.

smh.