Author Topic: What's your favorite arcade game?  (Read 5307 times)

Offline TGT

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
What's your favorite arcade game?
« on: September 14, 2015, 11:25:31 AM »
What's your favorite arcade game? It can be any game from beat 'em ups, to shooting games, fighting games, and so on. And what are your thoughts and impressions on it?

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite arcade game?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »

Call it a guilty pleasure.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 10:40:58 PM »
Hmm... possibly Knights of the Round

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 03:12:29 AM »
Gots to be the classic Donkey Kong. Mrs. Pacman would be a very very close second.

and

Er. I mean, this image:

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:15:30 AM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 07:34:06 AM »
If playing in an actual arcade, or placing the game as a moment in time, it would be something from the Street Fighter 2 family (preferably after Turbo sped up the game). Gameplay was awesome, but it was the social interaction and camaraderie that developed among players inside the arcades that sets this game apart for me. People lining up to play, usually against other people instead of against the machine, and always talking - trading tips and moves, blustering and boasting. I had never experienced anything else like it from an arcade...

But if getting something for my home to play with friends, it would probably be something easier to get into.  TMNT almost gets the nod, but is edged out by the massive double screen and support for more players in:

Note that this assumes you are talking arcade video games. Otherwise I would go pinball without any question. There are at least a dozen titles that I would love to own and choosing between them is impossible.  Maybe Taxi?
NNID: ejamer

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 01:03:05 PM »
I LOVED playing TMNT: Turtles in Time in arcades growing up. My dad would take my older brother and me to an arcade on the way home from our grandma's place, and we'd just insert quarters like crazy to keep playing with other kids and people there. Great game, and it got a great port on the SNES.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 01:06:35 PM »
I think for me it's probably Galaga. I've never been a huge shoot-'em-up fan, but I absolutely adore that game.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 10:36:18 PM »
Galaga is probably my favorite.  Ms. Pac Man, Street Fighter 2 Alpha, Trog, TMNT Turtle in Time, Aliens Vs. Predator, Time Crisis and any Pinball game is up there.

Arcade games I hated:  Mortal Kombat Series, Pole Position, Any Gun Shooter not Time Crisis 1 or 2.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 10:37:47 PM »
I think for me it's probably Galaga. I've never been a huge shoot-'em-up fan, but I absolutely adore that game.

In my home town there was a pay one price and play all the arcade games you wanted from 9pm until 12am.  I would go and send a good hour on Galaga every time.  It is just a perfectly designed game.  Galaga 3 was fun too...but it wasn't nearly as polished. 

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 11:15:30 PM »
Mortal Kombat II, greatest of all time. One day I will one this cabinet. One day. Also the classic Konami games - TMNT series, Simpsons Arcade, X-Men - they never get old.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 06:12:20 PM »
"This is Red Five, I'm going in"

Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 08:06:55 PM »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 03:30:51 AM »
I loved Ms. Pac Man growing up, but the game that out did Pac Man was the arcade version of Trog.  This game is sheer arcade perfection.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 08:13:23 AM »
Marvel Superheroes Vs Street Fighter, Street Fighter Alpha 3, & Marvel vs Capcom were my jam back when arcades existed in my area. 

Honorable mentions for X-Men, Time Crisis II, and there was a Punisher side-scrolling beat'em up that I loved playing at the local bowling alley.

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 04:13:23 PM »
My favorite arcade game of all time is the first 4-player TMNT game that was ported to NES as TMNT II The Arcade Game. I literally poured my entire allowance, any quarters I could "find", plus all my sisters babysitting money into that machine every chance I got. I also spent a lot of time playing Ms. Pac-Man, obviouly, and the T2 game with a gun.
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 12:53:46 AM »
this is a tough one... although I have a soft spot for a few different games, I'm gonna go with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_zAxPqKa8Y

Note that this is not the best one I've ever palyed, but I remember a lot when my Dad would take me to Dave n' Busters, I'd always want to play 8 player Daytona USA. a close second to a game I'd always be all over is MVC2.

the arcade that's near me has a Neo Geo MVS I fool around with a lot these days, but uh... yeah, I hadn't seen the big red machine until much later in my life.

also, honorable mention to the local pizza joint having Revolution X, which is a TERRIBLE game, but **** if I didn't put in a ton of quarters.

also, there's one of those Namco Multi-cabnets at my work right now that I play a lot of Xevious and Bosconian on. Gapplus is also REALLY fun.