Author Topic: Who still loves their PC over consoles and why?  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Who still loves their PC over consoles and why?
« on: April 26, 2003, 05:46:46 PM »
I love my PC over consoles for many reasons. First, there are SOOOO many more games on PC than on any console or even all of them combined. Second, mouse aiming. It is so much better for FPS' to be played with mouse and keyboard. Third, I don't need to pay for memory cards and controllers. My hard drive is big enough and my mouse and keyboard work fine for all the games I play. Plus, I love my computer anyway. Even without the video games. So, WHO'S WITH ME?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Stex

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2003, 06:10:57 PM »
Yea, except that:

1.) Consoles are much more comfortable to play

2.)  You have to pay to upgrade every 6 months or so, and that's much more than a console.

And I find it hard to believe that PCs have more games then consoles.  Although some PC games are frickin awesome, I prefer consoles.

Offline Tman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2003, 06:26:55 PM »
I hardly play PC games anymore, It just doesn't seem worth the cost of constant upgrades. I mostly use my PC(s) for other things now, DVR, audio, other stuff. 500 for a new video card every 6 months is just insane. I really only play BF1942 and StarCraft.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2003, 06:43:53 PM »
I use my PC for specific genres, and consoles for everything else.  I don't play a lot of FPS games, which is really all that's available on PCs these days.  The problem with PC gaming is that one good game gets released, then you see a million "me too" games that use the exact same mechanics.

A console is home to many games that simply don't sell on a PC.  RPGs are a big one, as PC gamers generally like their games to have good graphics, and everything else is secondary.  RPGs don't lend themselves to this philosophy much, and as a result they tend to bomb on PCs.  I also remember that in the PC port, the reviewer at IGN (Classic PC gamer) thought that the game would have been so much better from a first person view.  I have never returned to IGNPC since then.  

As for the number of games on a PC, well, half the problem is the one I just said.  The other part of the problem is that most of the games are no longer compatable, or you played them years ago, or have been made obsolete by newer games.  Wolfenstein 3D was revolutionary back in the day, but it has been replaced by about 10 million games which do the same thing.  Microprose's F-19 was also awesome back in the day.  But really, it's nothing more than trash now.  I keep it around for sentimental reasons, but it's really not useful at all.

On a console, you never have to worry about screwing around with your drivers for an hour before playing your game, if you don't have an Xbox, you never have to worry about downloading crap for your games, and you don't have to make any upgrades to enjoy your games.

I am a console gamer through and through.  I find maybe 2 or 3 games a year on PC that interest me enough to warrant a purchase.  Last year I got Silent Hill 2 (although I would have preferred a GameCube port), Warcraft 3, America's Army, and Syberia.  That's it.  That's all I wanted.  2 of those I got for free, and the other 2 I got good deals on.  This year I bought a copy of Master of Orion 3, and I have my eye on Full Throttle 2.  Other than that, there is nothing out there I could want I don't think.

My console always provides me with a great gameplay experience, and is home to many games I just can't get elsewhere, and the games are tailored for that specific hardware, which matters a great deal.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Mistress

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2003, 09:36:51 PM »
For the last 5/6 years I have been primarily a PC gamer. I love my PC. Many of the game I play on the PC just wouldn't work as well on a console, and that isn't from a graphics point of view. I don't value graphics over gameplay, quite the opposite. I like my games large, immersive and replayable. I am a big RPG fan and there are some quality RPG's out there for the PC - a fair few of them are shareware releases however.

I like consoles though - I always seem to go through phases where I won't play any games on the PC for a while and I turn to consoles for amusement in these periods. Also, consoles keep me entertained when I'm ill and don't feel like getting up and sitting at my PC. Nothing better than snuggling up under a duvet with a mug of tea and some snacks and playing Zelda or a game like Shenmue.

I think however that when I finally get my GameCube in the next couple of weeks (I have a platinum GC with Zelda: The Wind Waker on pre-order), I will probably divide my gaming time more equally between console and PC, since there aren't an amazing amount of PC games due in the immediate future, that I am desperate to play. So it goes....

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2003, 02:30:35 AM »
im kinda 25(pc)/25(gameboy)/25(gamecube)/25(snes) yay

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2003, 04:34:42 AM »
I used to like PC over consoles.  I prefer consoles back in the 8 bit and early 16 bit days, however, in the early 1990s, I became a PC fanby mainly because the PC was technology wise ahead of consoles.  Since very early last year, I became sick of PCs due to having keep up with the technology, getting the game to work, update drivers, etc.  But the main reason was because I got sick of PCs were the FPS and RTS and a lack of innovative games.  Sure there are some innovative games, but it took me a long time to realise I missed Nintendo and SEGA's innovative games.  Most of the big games on PC are these two genres (FPS and RTS).  I can't tell you how bored to death I am of RTSs like C&C and Warcraft.  Pikmin was so refreshing to play.  And FPS, c'mon, I get bored of shooting people (especially without reason).  Last year, I only bought 3 games:  

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (okay, it a FPS, but a rare one that I liked due to the experience it threw at the player)
Freedom Force (awesome RPG and best PC game I've played.  For Freedom!)
GTA3 (I liked the freelance of the missions)

I haven't bought a PC game this year, but will get Freelancer.

So, last year, I became a console fanboy again.  Less hassle of having to buy a expensive graphics card.  Less hassle of trying to get the games to work.  I couldn't understand why Playstation was the top dog (and still don't.  And don't reason with me please.  Everyone says it's the range of games.  "Bah" I go, most people can only afford 4-5 games a year).  I was never interested in the xbox.  So I got a GameCube on launch and a second hand Dreamcast.  I felt stupid I left console gaming for almost a decade.  Better now than never.

I still play PC games, but not as much anymore...

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2003, 07:30:24 AM »
PC gaming has become one thing for me. Multiplayer. Anyone who has played Battlefield 1942 or MOH online knows that these games are fun as hell, and even more fun at a LAN party. I have had 16 people over playing Halo and the general consent is that PC games are still more fun. This has little to do with money or equipment ( We rent out a U-Haul and bring over 3 more HDTVs., 5.1 sound to boot. Just with the environment. LAN parties tend to be far more cramped, and it just has that fun feeling. I just don't think that consoles have been able to replecate that, or will in the near future ( not unless Nintendo pulls off the DVI LCD's anyway.)  

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2003, 10:41:22 AM »
I like consoles for mostly one reason: platform games.  Mostly because you can nearly always *see* what's happening, instead of suddenly getting shot in the back and never seeing any bullets or lazers or anything.  But also because there's more than just 1 thing to do.

That said, I think PCs certainly have it made when it comes to FPSs and RTS, if only because those games generally suck without multiplayer...

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2003, 10:57:10 AM »
Another reason why I like PC is my new favorite genre: SENSLESS ACTS OF VIOLENCE! Lets look at Postal 2. The main objectives, get some milk and do other chores. Which soon turns into decapitate people with shovels and tehn burn their bodies with gasoline. As they run around burning they catch other people on fire and they all die! w00t! As stupid as it sounds it can litterally bring tears to your eyes because you are laughing so hard.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2003, 01:04:41 PM »
Blizzard games are the only reason why I ever played games on the PC, and beyond their releases I don't really have a interest in any PC game.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk