Author Topic: A SHOUT OUT... to those willing to help with a project.  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Zoltan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
A SHOUT OUT... to those willing to help with a project.
« on: March 24, 2010, 04:46:04 PM »
I'm going to be working on a persuasive project for one of my classes and I think I'll be talking about Video Games as Art.  I'm keeping it broad for now until I'm able to read a few articles and narrow down the topic.  Thing is there are lots of gaming sites that have discussed this topic which is what I'm asking for help with.  I want to be able to look at as many sources as I can but I know I won't be able to find all of the ones I've come across in the past so what I ask is that if you know of any article or podcast that discusses this topic could you please post it here, I'd really appreciate it.

PS This may be the first post I've made but I didn't make an account purely to ask for help, the confirmation email for registering went to my spam inbox and I didn't realize this until recently.  Now that I've made a profile I plan on being a more active member on the site (at least with the news updates).

Once again, I would really appreciate the help.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: A SHOUT OUT... to those willing to help with a project.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 04:54:43 PM »
The Radio Free Nintendo crew had a pretty good discussion on RFN Episode #180 regarding games as art.  The resulting TalkBack thread contained a bunch of interesting viewpoints as well. 
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 05:02:34 PM »
There are a bunch of books you can buy about "The art of..." Warcraft, Halo, games in general. These books demonstrate the concept art that goes into creating each game. There's a powerful argument to be made there. Any video game, no matter what the subject or calibur, requires a LOT of creative pre-production.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Zoltan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 05:49:46 PM »
Entire books of the subject is going a little too far, it isn't that big of a project.  I'm thinking things like what Rodger Ebert stated on the topic, and other isolated articles.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:05:53 PM »
i'll see if i can find the paper i wrote on the subject... edit: nevermind, i found an old incomplete draft of the paper, but its not enough to be helpful. I wasn't as good at backing things up back then as i am now, i'll check some old CDs though.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:54:21 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Zoltan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:22:38 PM »
i'll see if i can find the paper i wrote on the subject... edit: nevermind, i found an old incomplete draft of the paper, but its not enough to be helpful. I wasn't as good at backing things up back then as i am now, i'll check some old CDs though.
Thanks, the kind of things I'm looking for are stuff that I can site as I present their evidence.

Offline Zoltan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 01:51:46 AM »
Well, with the exception of being reminded of which podcast this was discussed, I can see this got me noware...  :(