Author Topic: iPhone/iPod Touch game thread?  (Read 42338 times)

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
Re: iPhone/iPod Touch game thread?
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2010, 12:53:54 AM »
Carcassone just came out for iPhone and it is awesome.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 12:17:17 PM »
Lately I've been playing Isotope, it's another abstract dual stick shooter but its standout features are an upgrade system and hand-designed levels. So instead of only having a random arena mode there's a ton of levels with hand placed waves and walls which is way more fun than having the computer spit you some random stuff.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 02:30:54 PM »
Yeah, Isotope's great. The guys that made it also made Strategery, a really good Risk-style turn based strategy game. I especially love them because both games are Universal, so they play natively on both my iPhone and iPad without having to buy two separate versions.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2010, 02:27:41 AM »
Anyone looking for a soccer game for their iOS device because of the excitement of the impending World Cup should steer clear of the official World Cup game from EA and get X2 Soccer 2010 (X2 Football 2010 outside America). It's fantastic. It has the best virtual analog stick I've ever used and an excellent button layout; I have had no problems whatsoever with the touch controls.

J.P. Corbran

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 02:58:50 AM »
Coin Dozer is pretty interesting. It's not great but IIRC it's free and I've always wanted to play one of those machines but didn't want to risk real money on them. It even has a nice approach to rationing your coin income so you don't get infinite credit syndrome.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 11:29:46 AM »
I got Strategery, it's excellent. You can play friends online - you should add me, insanolord. gbuell@gmail.com

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2010, 05:57:06 AM »
I haven't played it yet since it doesn't seem to be on the App Store right now, but, based on the reviews I've read and the YouTube videos I've watched, Pix'n Love Rush is fantastic, and really needs to come to DSiWare (or maybe 3DSWare, since it seems like it could benefit from being in 3D.

J.P. Corbran

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2010, 01:36:48 PM »
I'm playing EXO Planet like crazy now, maybe it's a result of not playing a proper quake-like for at least 6 years (UT 2004) but I find it a ton of fun. Sure, it uses a persistent upgrade system so it's not a perfectly balanced game but skill still counts the most as many of my opponents have been unable to hit me. Also even grinding for money is fun because the mode that gives the money is also a speedrun competition and at times I forgot entirely about the earning money goal and instead tried to place high on the online leaderboards (made it into the 99th percentile once but most of my runs are 97-98).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 02:12:58 AM »
I've been playing a lot of Zombieville USA lately. It's somewhere between a beat 'em up and a Contra clone, depending on how you play it. It made me notice that onscreen directional controls work a lot better when it's just left and right, like it is in this game, than it does when they use all 4 directions, or full 360 degree analog.

I will say this for iPhone controls, though: I was playing Pac Man Championship Edition on my iPhone and getting a bit frustrated by it, which I thought was due to the controls, but when I went and played it on my 360 with physical controls I was getting consistently worse scores.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 12:35:51 AM »
I'm going to go ahead and say it: Trainyard is the best puzzle game on the App Store. There are thousands of them, and of course I haven't played most of those, but I don't have to play them to know that they're not as good as Trainyard. It's gotten to the point where I'm constantly distracted by the game, even when I'm doing something else. I see the game when I close my eyes. Only the best puzzle games get me hooked to this degree. Anyone who owns a device capable of playing this game should own it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 03:26:43 PM »
Interesting, I didn't find it all that great.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 08:00:48 PM »
Interesting, I didn't find it all that great.

The one problem with it is that it takes a while to get going. You need to get about 40 or 50 puzzles in before they stop being stupidly easy and start to get challenging and interesting. Once they do, though, it's fantastic, and incredibly addictive in the classic "just one more puzzle" way. I played it for 2 straight hours last night.

J.P. Corbran

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2010, 06:11:30 AM »
I played the game a bit more and beat it shortly after posting that so I've seen the later levels.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2010, 05:45:48 PM »
Snap.

Just got Geometry Wars for iPhone, pretty good but the way the leaderboards work is just plain wacky. Hopefully they plan on hooking into Game Center when that thing is released.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 08:31:34 AM »
I very well may be the only person who reads the forums who has an iPad, but, on the off chance I'm not, I can't recommend Osmos HD enough. It's getting a lot of hype, and it deserves every bit of it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:33:17 AM by insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »
I heard that one is going to iPhone before long.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2010, 10:18:43 AM »
It's on the PC either way, I didn't like the demo much.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2010, 12:50:40 AM »

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 12:51:12 AM »
Also, The Incident is very cool: http://bigbucketsoftware.com/theincident/

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2010, 11:02:53 AM »
Free Duck Hunt: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/duck-hunt-the-game/id376559679?mt=8

Not free anymore and as I see it that's profiting off stolen IP.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2010, 11:43:19 AM »
Yeah, I wonder how long that will last before Nintendo contacts Apple and has it yanked off the App Store. There is copyright infringement as they literally just took the NES boxart and used part of that for the App icon. There is also trademark infringement as Nintendo still has a active trademark for "Duck Hunt" in terms of video game use.

They are also profiting from it since it is now $0.99
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2010, 12:23:36 PM »
Good call... they've removed a Duck Hunt clone from the App Store before, even: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/02/duck-hunt-iphon.html

I had thought that the Duck Hunt trademark had expired or was on the verge of expiring, but now I see that's not the case.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2010, 12:31:26 PM »
According to the USPTO website, Nintendo filed the trademark in March 2007 (likely re-trademarking it, but the site doesn't make a difference between a new trademark and just renewing one).

After checking out the images of the App, it also appears to just be a clone of the game itself. That means you can add in copyright infringement of the game itself too, so that is at least 3 things Nintendo could sue the guy who made this for.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2010, 02:52:32 PM »
Kinda surprising that the developer took the time and effort to make this game given the fact that Nintendo already has a history of going after Duck Hunt clones. Maybe he knows something we don't.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2010, 01:23:29 PM »
Kinda surprising that the developer took the time and effort to make this game given the fact that Nintendo already has a history of going after Duck Hunt clones. Maybe he knows something we don't.

It's profitable if you can get away with it?